2007 NFL Week 11

To me he looked halfway passable as a QB, I thought his stats were over inflated though by Denver Hanging back too much in the first half and allowing Young to go Justin Gage several times underneath, which is almost a sin to me, given how horrible he was in Chicago in man to man coverage despite his size.

Young's throws are typically dump-offs, which depend upon the receiver making a lot of after-catch yardage. It clearly hurt the Titans not to get many receptions beyond the marker. Of course, Kornhole and "Jaws" wet their pants every time Young threw the ball semi-accurately for five yards.

Tom Iron

Mentor
Cassiodoris,

I think he had some pretty fair medium range throws over what you're calling dump offs. Doesn't matter though. He's not going to be much in the nfl. What you see is what you've got.

Tom Iron...

Gi-15

Mentor
What amazed me was how open his receivers were on those medium range passes, how could you miss those guys? Can't denver cover anybody? I doesn't require much accuracy to hit those receivers.

Not all Young's throws are dump offs, of course, but quite a few are--he averages less than 10 yards per completion this year. This is not a guy who reads defenses, and of course the Titans have had to tailor the offense for him.

referendum

Mentor
Also, Young threw his interceptions in the last two drives of the Titans, when they were in hurryup mode. He didn't exactly show Brady or Manning style poise. I remember thinking while listening to the last drive, that he was due for an interception, and sure enough next play was one.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Cassiodorus said:
Not all Young's throws are dump offs, of course, but quite a few are--he averages less than 10 yards per completion this year. This is not a guy who reads defenses, and of course the Titans have had to tailor the offense for him.

All quarterbacks average less than 10 yards per completion. However, your idea is spot on. There are only three quarterbacks in the NFL who have less yards per completion (5.8) than Vince Young:

Steve McNair
Cleo Lemon
Alex Smith

For comparison purposes, the highest average in the league belongs to Tom Brady, who averages 9.0 yards per completion.

Source: NFL.com

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Brady's 9.0 and Young's 5.8 ispassing yards perattempt.Brady has 219 completions for 2,686 yards, about 12.3 yards per completion. It isperplexing to see the bottom of the QB statistics littered with the NFL's "new, athletic quarterbacks of the 21st century."
smiley36.gif