2007 Kentucky Wildcats

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Its official, there are no half white teams in the SEC this year. Here are the likely starting whites for 2007.

Offense
TE Jacob Tamme
WR Dicky Lyons Jr.
RG Jason Leger

What a huge let down for Kentucky to go so black in 2 years. We now know what kind of man Rich Brooks is. Caste all the way.

whiteCB

Master
well hiopefully Dicky will have a breakout year and burn the socks off those SEC DBs.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
That is pathetic. Just a few years ago Kentucky and Arkansas were the two big exceptions to the mostly black lineups of major Southern programs. I remember seeing as many as three white wide receivers on the field at once for the Wildcats. Now just three white starters total.
smiley11.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yes Don, Kentucky has seen huge changes in just the last three years. They had a majority white starting line-up, as did Vanderbilt, through 2005. It is tough to watch, and I guess I'll have to quit being a Vanderbilt fan just like I quit Ole Miss.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Kentucky QB Woodson can kiss any chance of the Heisman goodbye after his performance tonight. He also dropped his status in the draft. I can't say I'm disappointed because he was way over-rated, just like the team being ranked 8th.

backrow

Hall of Famer
i thought this game is still on? and yeah he is way overrated, and so is Kentucky.

btw Jacob Tamme had a couple of catches, including a nice TD grab.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I knew it was over in the 3rd. Hopefully the Woodson media blitz will die down now. It is unreal how Dicky Lyons Jr. has been so under-utilized this year. Jacob Tamme is a great player! I look forward to seeing him on Sundays.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I was not impressed with Woodson at all, he has a weird throwing motion, does not make quick reads (needs alot of pass protection) and seemed like most of his passes were dump offs to RB's. I would love to see what percentage of passes he completes to rb's out of the backfield. Might have to put a little asterik on the record he broke.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
<H1>UK football: Young receivers getting tested</H1>
<H4 =byline>By Chip Cosby</H4>
<H5 =story_credit>CCOSBY@HERALD-LEADER.COM </H5>

Dicky Lyons Jr., elder statesman?

It's not a role that you'd necessarily link to the eccentric Lyons, but he's the last man standing for a UK receiving corps that has been well-stocked the past couple of years.

Gone are Keenan Burton, Steve Johnson and tight end Jacob Tamme, who combined for 182 receptions and 28 touchdown catches in 2007.

And the Wildcats' other experienced receiver besides Lyons, senior-to-be DeMoreo Ford, went down with a torn patella tendon last week.

Throw in the fact that Lyons has been in and out of spring practice with knee soreness, and the Wildcats have had to piece together a patchwork group of receivers this spring.

As expected there have been some drops and a few wrong routes run. And that makes it a little harder for the coaching staff to make an evaluation in the always-popular quarterback discussion, where junior Curtis Pulley and sophomore Mike Hartline are competing.

It's reminiscent of two springs ago, when Pulley and Andre Woodson were battling in the spring with an unproven set of receivers. Burton sat out that spring with an injury, leaving an unproven Lyons and converted quarterback Joe Joe Brown as the top two receivers.

"The quarterback position is often determined by those around him," Brooks said. "And we definitely need to step it up at receiver."

Still, Lyons thinks the receivers are in much better shape than they were in the spring of 2006.

"It's not as bad as it was a couple of years ago," Lyons said. "Not even close. We've got some players. We've got talent. We just don't have the experience. But the guys are learning."

The two youngsters who are getting the most chances to make a push on the depth chart are sophomore Kyrus Lanxter and redshirt freshman Anthony Mosley.

Both players have the potential to help long-term. Lanxter has nice size (6-foot-3, 187 pounds) and saw spot duty as a true freshman. Mosley is reputed to have a nice combination of speed and hands.

But both still have a long way to go.

"They both have to learn how to practice better," UK Coach Rich Brooks said. "They need to remember how Keenan Burton practiced. You don't get better by just showing up."

Brooks moved junior cornerback E.J. Adams to wideout to give the offense another option. Adams started two games at corner last season, but the emergence of David Jones opposite Trevard Lindley this spring allowed for the switch.

"He's always had the mentality of an offensive player," offensive coordinator Joker Phillips said. "But we've always had depth at receiver. When he first got here, they didn't have any depth at corner. Now that they've got depth over there, we can afford to move him over to receiver and see if he can help us."

Adams played quarterback his first three years at North Gwinnett (Ga.) High School before switching to running back and receiver as a senior.

"I never even played defense until I got to Kentucky," Adams said. "Coach Brooks came to me last week and asked me if I'd want to go over (to receiver) and help out. I'm excited about the opportunity to give it a try. I understand coverages from playing corner."

Regardless of what happens this spring, though, Phillips has made it clear that several of the incoming freshmen will have a chance to make the rotation this fall. UK signed seven players who could be thrown into the mix, including Henry Clay's Aaron Boyd.

"When they step on campus, we have to see which ones can't play," Phillips said. "I can imagine you'll see at least three of them in the rotation next year. We've already talked with them about coming in ready this summer."

http://www.kentucky.com/232/story/365936.html