2007 BYU Cougars

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
No problem Gi, always glad to help. I'm one of those non-mormon BYU students, so I guess you could say I'm an expert in the area. :)

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Colonel, i know you like running back Joe Semanoff, but i've not heard much about him this off-season. what is the deal with him?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good question JC. Over the last few days, BYU had a couple of scrimmages in which Joe had a 3 yard and a 7 yard TD run. I don't have full stats from the scrimmage, but I do know that J.J. DiLuigi showed some moves running 6 straight times late in one of the scrimmages and had 30 yards on those 6 carries. The coaches and QB Max Hall are really high on all their backs and how BYU backs should be known for their speed as well as their power. Back to Joe, he is currently listed as second string FB behind Fui Vakapuna.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
true freshman tailback JJ DiLuigi has re-injured a fracture in his right foot and was scheduled for surgery today. if he has the surgery, the recovery would take 8-10 weeks and he will likely red-shirt.

best of luck to JJ, and i hope for a full and speedy recovery. he had shown hints of greatness this fall and will likely be a stand-out running back in the future, whether it's this year or not we'll have to wait and see.

it's a bad day for BYU and us.

http://www.sltrib.com/collegesports/ci_6626911

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I'm wondering if he is LDS or not and whether he'll go on a mission next year. I see nothing on his profile to confirm it either way. I guess we'll see.

DiLuigi's Catholic. Both he and Kessman (Jewish) are non-black, non-LDS players that like the school values. I think BYU is getting steals on some of these kids, while all the other schools are going for the darker skinned, hyped up skill players. It's been BYU's formula for years, partially out of necessity. They also woke people up to Polynesian players. Guys like Junior Seau and Troy Polamalu have BYU to partially thank for their careers.Edited by: FieldThrower

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
To be honest, I'm glad J.J. isn't mormon. That school needs a little more religious diversity in every aspect of campus life. Old Jim McMahon was a rebellious Methodist who shook things up there, and it was good. I am just waiting for the Colorado State game in Provo, then I can wear my CSU hat and BYU shirt!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
unless something strange happens, i am taking a road trip to watch BYU play at Tulsa.

hopefully, the Cougars will be impressive.
smiley32.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Against Tulsa, they should be. Sounds like a fun trip Jimmy!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i hope so, Colonel!
smiley32.gif
i'm going to be going with a couple of cool folks, but they'll be rooting for Tulsa and offensive mastermind (former Arkansas offensive coordinator and Springdale head coach) Gus Malzahn.

he's a hell of a coach, and i am excited about watching his scheme go up against our white men on BYU's defense.

speaking of BYU's defense, it appears that four white Cougars are the expected starters in the secondary as of this post.
smiley32.gif
that makes BYU only the second team in the entire USA Division I of college football to start four white defensive backs.
smiley7.gif
(the other is Air Force.)

good luck to BYU this year!
smiley20.gif
smiley32.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
you have got to love Ben Criddle's attitude. but apparently, even in a complimentary article i guess it is REQUIRED BY LAW to slip in negative comments about a white athlete...
BYU football: Persistence paying off for Criddle
<DIV =articleByline>By Rhiannon Potkey
The Salt Lake Tribune
<DIV =articleByline>
<DIV =articleByline>PROVO- When Ben Criddle was 2 years old, his parents placed special locks on the doors of their Arizona home to prevent him from sneaking out.
But Criddle refused to be denied, pulling his high chair over to the door, climbing up and freeing himself to wander the neighborhood in nothing but a pair of cowboy boots, a diaper and a pacifier.
Persistence was a character trait evident early in Criddle, and it has carried through into college. From a walk-on to a starting cornerback for the Brigham Young football team, the 6-foot, 185-pound Criddle thrives on being doubted.
"There is something about somebody telling me I can't do something that really inspires me to want to prove them wrong," Criddle said. "I always have a chip on my shoulder no matter what I am doing."
Lightly recruited out of high school by only Division I-AA and Division II schools, Criddle played two seasons in junior college before packing his bags for Southern Utah.
But on the morning he was scheduled to leave for Cedar City, he woke up with an uneasy feeling.
"I knew I wanted to go to BYU," Criddle said. "It's been my dream ever since I was a young lad, and I would never have forgiven myself if I didn't at least give it a shot."
But Criddle knew there were some skeptics in Provo, including recruiting coordinator and inside linebackers coach Paul Tidwell.
"Coach Tidwell said I wasn't fast enough for them to give me a scholarship, and it just gave me even more motivation," Criddle said. "I am grateful to Coach Tidwell because he was a huge inspiration to push me to become a championship player."
<DIV =article> Criddle made BYU's team as a walk-on in 2005, and impressed the coaches enough to earn some playing time on special teams.
But Criddle believed he was capable of much more, and didn't want to burn a year of eligibility in a limited role. So he met with BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall and asked if he could redshirt.
"I promised him I would start the next two years and be an impact player and be All-Mountain West Conference," Criddle said. "He might have thought I was crazy, but I believed it was possible."
Criddle dedicated nearly every waking hour to pursuing his dream while asking his father to provide the financial support necessary.
"I didn't have any doubt that he would be successful and turn some heads," Michael Criddle said of the fifth of his eight children. "It's almost like the higher he went up, the more respect he was going to get because he is so driven. He makes sure whatever he does, he does his absolute best and outworks everybody."
Aware that he doesn't possess the athletic ability of most Division I cornerbacks, Criddle evens the playing field with his work ethic.
He spends hours each week watching film, meticulously monitors his diet and is as much a fixture in the weight room as the squat racks.
"It makes you bigger, faster, stronger, but it also gives me a mental edge," Criddle said. "I know when I am in the gym on Friday night that no one else in the country is probably doing that."
After starting 12 games last year and recording 53 tackles and two interceptions, Criddle was rewarded in January with a scholarship. It was an initial recruiting oversight Tidwell is more than happy to acknowledge.
"I did wonder if he could be a Division I corner, but what he did was prove that he is," Tidwell said. "He worked so hard that first year here, and pushed and pushed and did a great job. It's been all him."
Criddle had surgery on his foot in the offseason, but has performed well in camp and believes he'll be ready for the season opener against Arizona. If some may doubt his recovery, all the better for Criddle.
As BYU's modern-day Rudy, he hopes his story can convince other kids that "white missionary walk-ons can make an impact at BYU."
"If young men have a dream of playing for BYU, it can come to fruition if they believe in themselves and do the work necessary to achieve that goal," Criddle said. "I have done it, and it has brought me a lot of happiness."

Notable: Middle linebacker Kelly Poppinga had his right foot stepped on in practice Monday and was carted off the field. Mendenhall initially believed it's just a bruise, but they are X-raying the foot as a precaution.
rpotkey@sltrib.com
<DIV =article>
<DIV =article> [url]http://www.cougarfan.com/article.asp?ArtID=40920&amp;URL=htt p://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_6677019 [/url]

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Update to BYU's starters. I look forward to seeing how they do against Arizona tomorrow.

Bronco not overly concerned with BYU's speed

PROVO â€â€￾ Team speed is relative, according to BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall, who will take his Cougars into the Rose Bowl Saturday to face a UCLA squad that is gifted with quick-footed players on both sides of the line.

The Cougars have only one player, H-back Bryce Mahuika, who was timed this summer under 4.5 seconds for 40 yards. Mendenhall said his 40-time speeds were not manipulated as a coaching tool to motivate players into thinking they needed to work harder.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,5143,695207267,00.html

--

A team is on an 11-game winning streak, just dominated an Arizona team with supposedly alot of "speed", and this is what comes off the presses in preparation for UCLA? I bet if BYU had more black players it wouldn't even be a story, even if the 40s were the same. Perception is everything. The team I saw Saturday looked fast enough, and they were running in the right directions.

That said, I don't doubt that only one guy was sub 4.5. Most of the receivers are bigger sturdy possession guys that probably run 4.5-4.6, and the corners are pretty big too. All the running backs are 230+ lb bulldozers. That pretty much covers all the positions that normally run under 4.5.

I'd say most of the LBs run 4.5-4.7, and the DBs are hugging 4.5. Even the DLs are quick. The team speed is more than suitable, and the last 11 games can attest to that.

I don't know how much caste politics these Utah reporters are playing, but the whole article looks fishy to me. When a team dominates a team as fast as Arizona, why even bring it up?Edited by: FieldThrower

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Oh the Caste System exists here in Utah, it is just more subtle. Questioning white players at "taboo" positions, even Eric Weddle, happens here. The good thing is that those arguments don't gain a lot of traction here. The main reason it does not do so at BYU is because of the many recent Honor Code infractions and broken laws by the few black players.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
BYU's game with San Diego State has been rescheduled for December 1 due to the wildfires. BYU's next game comes when they host Colorado State on November 3. I plan to be there.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
BYU started 14 or 15 whites last night v. TCU. They started two blacks and 4 or 5 Pacific Islanders. Most of the subs were white. BYU's QB and TE (both white) are both incredible and will be back next year.

Pitta, the TE, has the potential to be another Heap or Witten. He is that good. Unga, their Tongan RB, is also a monster and will be back.

BYU could well be a top-10 team next year with the talent they have.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I was at the game last night at I agree about next year. BYU is developing as a team and getting better. They should be in the top 25 next week. BYU started 16 whites last night. 10 on defense and 6 on offense. They started 5 polynesians, a couple of whom are fairly dark, 1 on defense and 4 on offense. The lone black starter is a WR. FS Quinn Gooch got knocked out of the game with a pretty serious knee injury. Sadly, I think it will be season ending for him. We'll see who ends up starting at that position next Saturday at Wyoming. MLB Kelly Poppinga had a monster game last night, with 17 tackles, a sack, and a pass hurry!
smiley32.gif
That effort tied the 6th most tackles in BYU history.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
defensive lineman Jan Jorgensen looked awfully good, as well. he was disrupting plays in the backfield all game long.

and don't forget wide receiver/kick returner Austin Collie. he had a big night, as well.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
This is true JC. There were a lot of standout plays and players last night. Dennis Pitta had another good game and a 15 yard TD that was negated on a penalty. He also tipped a pass up and fellow TE Andrew George caught that looked like it never hit the ground, but was ruled otherwise. Texas Christian's only bright spot besides Derek Moore was their QB Andy Dalton, who led them in rushing.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
also, you might not have noticed since he was wearing long sleeves, Colonel.

but TCU had a redshirt freshman wide receiver who had 2 spectacular catches on one scoring drive, including the touchdown. Bart Johnson might be a name to keep an eye on at TCU... he certainly has great hands.
smiley32.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Thanks JC! I saw another white WR that I knew wasn't Moore. I thought it was Ryan Christian, but I couldn't hear the PA announcer when he announced him and I had no program. I was going to look that up, so thanks for saving me the trouble.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
my pleasure, mate. i'm glad to help in some small way.
smiley2.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
BYU is finally ranked! 23rd in both polls and 25th in the BCS. The so called "Holy War" against Utah will be a tough one this week. Sadly, the best bowl they will get will be the Las Vegas Bowl, again. I don't understand why the MWC got rid of their deal with the Liberty Bowl. At least it is a decent bowl game.