2006 BYU Cougars

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
No, it doesn't, but they do a good job considering. This will be BYU's 22nd Conference championship after tomorrow's game. If they didn't have so many missionaries, they'd really be kicking butt every year.

Indeed Colonel....

im suprised they dont have some sort of exception for athletes.....as many other schools do in many different areas..

I dont know if im the only one on here but i cant really find myself rooting that hard for BYU...Sure i like to see them doing ok and beating the all and mostly black sides

But there is something about Mormonism that as such leaves me indifferent towards BYU...

Certainly if they are playing another mostly white team like Utah State etc i will cheer for the Utes every time.

Colonel_Reb said:
John Beck was the MWC offensive player of the week for the 5th time this season. Freshman WR McKay Jacobson received his Mormon mission call last week. He will be serving in Japan for the next 2 years. I hope he comes back as good as he is now, but I hate to see him go.

A two year mission to another country? Does anyone see the obvious difference here, between the kind of human being that your average BYU player is in comparason to the average thug that suits up in a Miami (FL) uniform? Its so obvious, I don't think I have to say anymore. Although most moron football fans don't acknowledge it, its nice to see that some of our country's best football players are also some its best young men (Although, you'll never hear that on SportsCenter).
smiley19.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Ground Fighter, about 60% of BYU's team are Mormon, and almost all male Mormon BYU students go on missions for 2 years. I know McKay personally, and even though I don't agree with their religion, he is a good guy. Most all of the BYU players I have met are very well behaved and represent their faith well. I was thinking of asking McKay about his mission call earlier this week, but I saw it in the BYU newspaper first. Speaking of BYU, they are beating New Mexico in the 4th quarter and my favorite BYU player, Nathan Meikle, is leading both teams in receiving yardage with 6 grabs for 111 yards and a 5 yard carry. McKay is right behind him with 3 for 86 and a TD, and Jonny Harline with 2 for 81, including a 71 yard TD catch. Then there is Matt Allen with 4 for 49 and a TD, and Zac Collie with 2 for 38 yards.

Cameron Jensen has an INT, as does Rex Doman. Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Well, John (AKA-Jo) Beck was Offensive player of the week in the MWC for the 6th time this year because of Saturday's performance. This time, he shared it with Texas Christian's Jeff Ballard, Utah LB Joe Jiannoni, and Utah Kicker Louie Sakoda. I know this is the BYU thread, but I thought it would be good to post pics of them, considering they are all in the MWC. I thought Eric Weddle deserved something after his show on Saturday, but you know "momma say it bees dat way sumtimes!"

A picture of Beck you haven't seen on CF before.
1byufoot.jpg

Jeff Ballard-biggest pic I could find, but it looks like he's fixing to get hit
112spt1.jpg

Joe Jiannoni-you know he's good if he's getting Kyle Bell in the backfield
mb10kt3q.jpg

Louie Sakoda #35-with Eric Weddle leaping to the left
4233a59e-b843-490c-8a77-35324e9623ff.jpg

whiteCB

Master
What hell do these guys do for 2 whole years on a frickin morman mission? Does anyone know?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I know, whiteCB. They do different tasks in their mission area, mainly "tracting" and doing "home visits" or having discussions with people who are interested in joining their church, or who have requested a Bible or book of mormon from seeing their commercials. Their days begin early and they knock off around 5-6PM. They have a lot of restrictions placed on where they can go and what they can do, because they are representing the church while they are on the field. Sundays and some Saturdays are free, depending on where the missions is located. Some of them travel around while they are on the mission, but they don't have enough time off to go too far. Often, especially in foreign missions, they are switched from one area of a mission or a country to another. A "mission" for them is both the 2 year period of time for the guys, and the location they are working in. For instance, you can be in the Mexico City mission-east or the Mexico City mission-west. I hope that makes sense. The point is, they can be shifted around to another region in a city or country if they are needed there. As far as physical conditioning, they are encouraged to exercise in the mornings and many of them go out and run or do push/pull/sit ups and other things like that. The bottom line is, they are pretty busy most days and most of them take it pretty seriously.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
yeah, furthermore they can't drive a car. they have to walk, ride a bicycle, or catch a ride with somebody (a friend, older mormon, whatever). they can't watch TV, read the newspaper, or listen to the radio, either.

they can get on the internet... i guess it's some kind of loophole.

i've visited with a few of 'em from time to time. nice folks generally, but pretty stand-offish.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
BYU will be playing Oregon in the Las Vegas Bowl on December 21. Hopefully, BYU will be able to get the monkey off their backs regarding winning bowl games.

whiteCB said:
What hell do these guys do for 2 whole years on a frickin morman mission? Does anyone know?

I don't know for sure what they "do" either, but I did have a personal experience with a Mormon once. I was sitting on a ledge outside the student center at my school two years ago, talking to one of my friends. Next thing I know, some girl (pretty cute by the way) comes up to me with a Bible asking to talk to us for a while. I'm thinking to myself, "S#!t, its a Jehovahs Witness, I hate these pricks." But I soon discovered she was Mormon, and she proceeded to tell us a bit about her religion. Honestly, I didn't want to hear it at first, but I gave her the benefit of the doubt, and I listened. She gave my friend abd I copies of the Bible (which had some passages marked off, I guess she wanted us to read them), and a contact number if we were interested in learning more.

The whole experience was unexpected, and believe it or not (I know some of you guys probably won't belive this) I was actually entertaining the idea of switching religions. I was going through a rough time at home and with a girl, so I was considering it as an opportunity to change things. But I also realized that religion doesn't really have anything to do with fixing problems.
Only the person can make those decisions.

All in all, she was pleasant, friendly, basically the kind of girl you would bring home to meet your family. She was just a bit "too into her religion". When it takes over your life like that, it becomes almost like a cult. Thats just my opinion.
smiley5.gif

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
BYU will be playing tonight against Oregon, just want to remind everyone. I believe it is on ESPN or ESPN2, I can't remember which.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
It comes on at 7 Central on ESPN. It should be a good game, and not just in a Caste System way either.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
ocaa, I agree! It was a great game after a slow BYU start and was a nice win against the Caste System. I had no idea both Right Cornerbacks were out though, Ben Criddle and Kayle Buchanon, but the backup safety played a great game at CB. A sad note though, one of my favorite players, WR McKay Jacobson, broke his clavicle and left the game in the 3rd quarter. I hope he can heal up from this well, and come back from his mission the same great player he leaves as. Matt Allen, who starts ahead of McKay had 3 drops early on but ended up with a nice catch in the second half. Harline had a career game, and hopefully that will propel him into a better spot in the NFL, hopefully as an H-back like Chris Cooley. He could be a good wide receiver too, but one thing is for sure, he needs to be catching the ball, not blocking.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
hey Colonel, in the pre-game intro, Allen was introduced as "the man with the hops" or something like that... what is the scoop on that?

it was disappointing that he had so many drops, but Craig James seemed to stand by him, saying he probably hadn't dropped that many balls in 4 years. it also seemed like James was much more likely to give the white skill guys for BYU "athletic" type comments. the other commentators had the typical "tough, smart, blah blah blah" stuff.

i even recall the statement that back when BYU was good that they "never had very good receivers but they always had a great tight end and a running back."

i guess all those passing yards were against black DBs who were blinded by the glare off all that white skin, or something.
smiley5.gif
smiley36.gif
Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I did notice Craig doing that too, Jimmy, but I missed the "man with the hops" bit, as my family was wrapped up in the Little House on The Prairie episode that ended just prior to kickoff. I'm sure Matt Allen has a great vertical jump because I have seen him get way up a few times. To be honest, Matt Allen has had quite a few drops this year, and I thought a couple of times that McKay would get the start ahead of him, but that didn't happen. There were several games where Allen started but played less than Jacobson. I did hear the "TE and RB" comment and let out a loud "hhhmmph." BYU has always had at least one good receiver each year, and almost all of them have been white. Harline is an incredible athlete in his own right but had to play second fiddle almost half of last season. I wish he was back next year! They will definitely have some questions to answer during spring and summer drills. They shouldn't have a problem getting bowl eligible though. I can't wait for the CSU game!
smiley32.gif
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
BYU ended up ranked 15th in the coaches poll and 16th in the AP. They, along with Air Force, are the whitest team in the country, and they finished that high. It helps prove that white dominated teams still compete at a top level and win championships. Now if only we had a playoff so we could show everyone else! Boise State finishing 6 (coaches) and 5 (AP) does the same thing. The current BCS system is discriminating against the majority white conferences, the WAC and the MWC. As long as it is in place, we'll be on the outside looking in.
smiley5.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Matangi Tonga, a polynesian defensive lineman at BYU, has been suspended indefinitely from the football team for unspecified team rules violations. He played in all 13 games as a freshman last season and his loss will open up a chance for several younger players. He is rumored to have been going on a Mormon mission soon, but that may change now. His older brother, Manase, is a FB for BYU.

Matangi Tonga
m-00000002776.jpg

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
BYU signed 24 players yesterday, among them are 13 whites, 8 polynesians, and 3 blacks. I am disappointed that they recruited so many pacific islanders over whites, but BYU will still be one of the whitest teams in the country for the next several years. The black recruits are 2 DBs and a WR. After 2007, the chance of seeing an all-white secondary at BYU will get very slim. It appears that Bronco's "Raising the Bar" motto for the offseason and upcoming 2007 season means something a little different than his "Bring Back the Tradition" motto did when he was hired 2 years ago. Next year's recruiting class will say volumes about where he wants this team to go.

PROVO, Utah (February 7, 2007) -- BYU head football coach Bronco Mendenhall today announced the signing of 24 new student-athletes who have elected to play college football for the 2006 Mountain West Conference and Pioneer PureVision Las Vegas Bowl champions.

The list of student-athletes includes 14 offensive and 10 defensive players, including five offensive line recruits; four wide receivers; three tight ends, linebackers and safeties; two defensive backs and defensive linemen; as well as one running back and one quarterback.

Among the list includes nine players from the state of Utah, including the 5-A Player of the Year Jordan Pendleton. Seven highly ranked players from California have signed to play for the Cougars, including the state's Offensive Player of the Year, J.J. Di Luigi. This year's class of recruits also includes three players from the state of Hawaii, as well as players from Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Texas and Arizona. Among the recruits are two junior-college transfers, including offensive lineman Levi Mack who recently returned from an LDS Church mission in Russia.

2007 Non-black BYU FOOTBALL SIGNEES
Famika Anae-Polynesian
6-5, 260, OL
Provo, UT (Timpview HS)
Son of BYU offensive coordinator Robert Anae ... helped lead Timpview HS to the 2006 4A State Championship title ... played for former BYU standout Louis Wong at Timpview HS ... blocked for an offense that produced 26.5 points per game ... part of an offensive line that helped produce a 1,700-yard rusher and a 1,400-yard passer ... high school teammate of BYU signees Houston Reynolds and cousin Ethan Manumaleuna ... plans to serve an LDS Church mission before attending BYU ... recruited by UNLV, Colorado, Texas Tech and Hawaii.

David Angilau-Polynesian
6-2, 255, DL
Longmont, CO (Niwot HS)
A two-year letterwinner for head coach Ron Tesone at Niwot HS ... a Longmont Daily Times-Call All-Area Defensive Player of the Year as a junior ... Rocky Mountain News 3-A Defensive Player of the Year as a junior ... a Rocky Mountain News first team 3-A All-State defensive lineman as a junior ... a 4-A all-state selection as a senior ... earned all-region and all-area honors as a senior ... Niwot HS Defensive MVP ... led 3-A with 15 sacks as a junior ... also lettered in wrestling and track ... also recruited by Colorado, Colorado State, New Mexico and Wyoming.

Tyler Beck
6-1, 205, LB
Murrieta, CA (Vista Murrieta HS)
Helped lead Vista Murrieta to an 11-1 record ... Southwestern League Defensive MVP ... recorded 75 solo tackles on the season and 16 assisted takedowns ... averaged 8.3 tackles per game as a senior ... totaled 13 sacks for a combined loss of 104 yards ... averaged 1.2 sacks per game ... credited with one interception and a 55-yard return in a 63-0 win over Serra ... credited with a season-high 17 tackles in a 33-30 win over Temescal Canyon ... had four rushing touchdowns on the season ... had 25 carries for 107 yards ... recruited by Arizona, Nebraska, Oregon, Portland State, UCLA and Utah.

Braden Brown
6-6, 230, TE
Salt Lake City, UT (Highland HS)
Under the direction of head coach Brodie Benson, helped lead the Rams to the 4-A State Championship game ... A Salt Lake Tribune 4-A first-team All-State selection as a senior ... earned first-team All-State honors by the Deseret Morning News ... totaled 279 yards receiving and six touchdowns ... also led the Rams in tackles ... started three straight years at Judge Memorial High School before attending Highland HS ... named the offensive MVP at the 2002 BYU summer camp and the defensive MVP at the 2000 BYU summer camp ... participated in a service project with Engage Now Service Expedition to Cuenca, Ecuador to help build a school, build irrication systems and taught young villagers how to play football ... recruited by Oregon, UCLA, USC, Utah State, Washington and Washington State.

J.J. Di Luigi
5-9, 188, RB
Canyon Country, CA (Canyon HS)
Under the direction of head coach Harry Welch, helped lead Canyon HS to the California State Championship with a 27-13 victory over De La Salle ... named the CIF Division I State Championship MVP after racking up 138 yards on 21 carries ... named the Foothill League Player of the Year ... named The Signal-All Santa Clarita Valley Player of the Year as a junior and senior ... earned CIF Southern Section Offensive Player-of-the-Year honors as a junior and senior ... named to several high school All-America teams ... named the Old Spice/Red Zone California Player of the Year ... was named a first-team All-State running back by The Los Angeles Daily News and The Los Angles Times ... rushed for 2,159 yards on 266 carries as a senior ... averaged 154.2 yards per game ... scored 34 touchdowns on the season ... had 29 receptions for 390 yards and four touchdown receptions ... ran for a season-high 282 yards in the Cougars' 49-32 win over Chaminade ... ran for over 200 yards three different times during the season ... recruited by Colorado, Colorado State, Oregon, Oregon State and Washington State.

Kaneakua Friel-Polynesian
6-4, 220, TE
Honolulu, HI (Kamehameha HS)
Under the direction of head coach Kanani Souza, helped lead the Warriors to an 8-3 record as a senior ... a Honolulu Star-Bulletin All-State selection ... recruited by Boise State, Oregon and Nevada.

Austen Jorgensen
6-3, 210, LB
Mt. Pleasant, UT (North Sanpete HS)
Graduated from North Sanpete HS in December ... currently enrolled at BYU ... an academic all-region selection as a senior ... an honor roll student for head coach Mark Wooton ... a four-year letterwinner ... earned all-state honorable mention honors as a sophomore ... an all-state second team selection as a junior ... led the state with 14 sacks, 12 tackles for a loss and 115 total tackles ... did not play during his senior season after breaking his leg during spring football ... a two-year letterwinner in basketball ... an all-region basketball player as a sophomore and junior ... won the state championship in the javelin as a sophomore and junior ... recruited by Stanford, Harvard, Princeton, Boise State, Georgia Tech, Arizona State, Utah, Illinois, California and Notre Dame.

Ryan Kessman
6-0, 190, WR
San Jacinto, CA (San Jacinto HS)
An all-state receiver as a junior ... recorded 43 receptions for 848 yards and 12 touchdowns for the Tigers ... helped lead San Jacinto to the CIF Division 11 semifinals ... averaged 38 yards on punt returns and 46 yards on kickoff returns ... an all-region selection ... under the direction of head coach Bill Powell, helped lead the Tigers to the CIF title game as a senior ... carried the ball 102 times for 1,134 yards as a senior, averaging 11.2 yards per carry ... credited with 15 rushing touchdowns ... averaged 94.5 yards per game ... credited with 16 receptions for 188 yards and one touchdown in 2006 ... totaled a season-high 211 yards rushing in the Tigers' 38-37 win over Ontario Christian ... also ran for 204 yards in a 33-10 win over Citrus Hill ... listed among the top 100 recruits in California ... an All-Foothill League performer ... recruited by BYU, Arizona State, Hawaii, Miami (Fla.), Oregon, Texas Tech and UCLA.

Star Lotulelei-Polynesian
6-3, 245, DL
South Jordan, UT (Bingham HS)
A Salt Lake Tribune and Deseret Morning News 5-A first-team All-State selection ... credited with 72 tackles on the season, including seven sacks ... averaged 5.1 tackles per game ... credited with on interception on the season ... had a season-high nine tackles in the Miners' 38-12 win over Copper Hills ... had a season-high three sacks in Bingham's season-opening victory against Alta ... played in the East vs. West High School All-Star Game in Florida ... helped lead the Miners to their first state championship in 60 years with a 14-0 record ... listed as one of the top players in the state of Utah ... recruited by UNLV and Utah.

Levi Mack
6-5, 315, OL
Thatcher, AZ (Eastern Arizona JC)
Served an LDS Church mission in Russia ... will enroll at BYU with three years of eligibility ... graduated from Thatcher HS in 2002 ... anchored an offensive line that produced 3,550 yards of total offense, including 3,225 yards rushing on the season ... averaged 322.7 yards of total offense per game ... helped lead Easter Arizona to a 25-21 victory over top-ranked Snow College ... a 2006 All-Western States Football League second-team selection ... a Junior College Pre-Season All-American ... recruited by Arizona State, Nebraska, Oregon State, Texas, Texas Tech and Utah State.

Devin Mahina-Polynesian
6-6, 225, TE
Upland, CA (Upland HS)
Plans to serve an LDS Church mission before enrolling at BYU ... credited with 19 receptions for 373 yards, averaging 19.6 yards per reception ... had four touchdowns during his senior season ... had a season-high 151 yards receiving in Upland's 40-23 win over Claremont ... defensively, credited with 36 tackles, including 21 solos and 15 assisted takedowns ... averaged 4.0 tackles per game ... credited with six sacks on the season ... also credited with a blocked field goal and a blocked punt ... credited with two safeties ... an all-CIF performer ... recruited by Colorado, Oregon and UCLA.

Eathyn Manumaleuna-Polynesian
6-2, 269, OL
Provo, UT (Timpview HS)
A Salt Lake Tribune 4-A first-team All-State selection ... a Daily Herald Elite 11 All-Valley selection ... ranked second on the roster with five sacks, four hurries and three forced fumbles ... part of an offensive line that helped produce a 1,700-yard rusher and a 1,400-yard passer ... helped lead Timpview HS to the 2006 4-A State Championship title ... played for former BYU standout Louis Wong at Timpview HS ... blocked for an offense that produced 26.5 points per game ... high school teammate of BYU signees Houston Reynolds and cousin Famika Anae ... nephew of BYU offensive coordinator Robert Anae ... recruited by Oregon.

Marcus Mathews
6-4, 200, WR
Beaverton, OR (Southridge HS)
An all-state second-team selection ... helped lead the Skyhawks to the state title game ... credited with over 50 receptions as a senior and scored seven touchdowns had 47 receptions for 690 yards and seven touchdowns as a junior ... earned all-metro honors ... named one of the top 10 players in the state by The Oregonian ... plans to serve and LDS Church mission ... recruited by California, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State and Utah.

Jason Munns
6-5, 225, QB
Kennewick, WA (Southridge HS)
Produced a 60.7 completion percentage as a senior ... completed 122 of 201 attempts with a league-high 18 touchdowns ... produced a league best 140.8 efficiency rating ... holds several school offensive records, including 5,957 career passing yards and 82 touchdown completions ... credited with 2,178 yards passing as a junior ... had 32 touchdown completions and was the Big Nine Co-Player of the year ... had 2,297 yards passing as a sophomore ... tallied a career record of 25-9 for head coach Andy Troxel ... other school records include 277 pass attempts during his sophomore season, 749 career pass attempts, 25 completions in a single game, 160 passes completed in a season and 441 passes completed over his career ... holds the single-game, single-season and career completion percentage records ... tied the school record with 337 yards passing in a game as a junior ... holds the single-season passing record with 2,297 yards as a sophomore ... produced a school record four games with five touchdown completions ... holds the single-season and career records for total offense, including 6,215 career yards ... recruited by Arizona State, Nebraska, Oregon, Oregon State, USC, Washington, Washington State and Utah.

Gary Nagy
6-1, 180, S
Kahuku, HI (Kahuku HS)
A four-year letterwinner for coach Reggie Torres ... a team captain ... helped lead Kahuku HS to a second straight state championship ... Honolulu Advertiser and Honolulu Star Bulletin frist-team All-State selection ... earned all-conference honors ... was selected as an OIA all-star performer ... participated in the Goodwill All-Star Game ... voted team's most outstanding special teams performer ... recorded four interceptions as a senior ... credited with 17 tackles ... plans to serve an LDS Church mission before enrolling at BYU ... also lettered in baseball, track, basketball, soccer and paddling ... an Eagle Scout ... recruited by Arizona, San Diego State, California, Oregon, New Mexico State, UNLV, Washington and Utah.

Jordan Pendleton
6-2, 195, S
South Jordan, UT (Bingham HS)
Under the direction of head coach Dave Peck, helped lead Bingham HS to its first state championship in 60 years ... a three-year starter ... Salt Lake Tribune and Deseret Morning News 5-A Most Valuable Player ... named the best overall athlete in the state by the Deseret Morning News ... credited with 40 receptions for 699 yards and 11 touchdowns ... on defense, tallied 89 tackles, five interceptions and eight pass deflections ... recruited by Utah.

Houston Reynolds
6-2, 295, OL
Provo, UT (Timpview HS)
A Salt Lake Tribune and Deseret Morning News 4-A first-team All-State selection ... a Daily Herald Elite 11 All-Valley selection ... a four-year starter at Timpview HS ... plans to serve an LDS Church mission before enrolling at BYU ... helped lead Timpview HS to the 2006 4-A State Championship title ... played for former BYU standout Louis Wong at Timpview HS ... blocked for an offense that produced 26.5 points per game ... part of an offensive line that helped produce a 1,700-yard rusher and a 1,400-yard passer ... high school teammate of BYU signees Eathyn Manumaleuna and Famika Anae ... son of BYU assistant head coach Lance Reynolds ... brother Lance played at BYU ... brothers Dallas and Matt are current members of the BYU roster ... recruited by Arizona Stae, Iowa, Oregon, Stanford, Utah and Washington State.

Jordan Smith
6-4, 200, WR
Spanish Fork, UT (Spanish Fork HS)
A Salt Lake Tribune and Deseret Morning News 5-A first-team All-State selection ... earned second-team all-state honors as a junior ... clocked at 4.51 in the 40-yard dash ... credited with over 1,300 all-purpose yards ... totaled eight touchdowns on the season ... defensively, credited with three interceptions, including one he returned for a touchdown ... plans to play one season before leaving on an LDS Church mission ... recruited by Arizona State, Oregon, Utah and Utah State.

Steven Thomas
5-11, 180, S
Chino Hills, CA (Chino Hills HS)
Under the direction of head coach Terry Roche, helped lead Chino Hills to an 8-3 overall record, including a 4-1 mark in league play ... credited with 31 receptions for 498 yards and four touchdowns as a senior ... totaled 49 tackles on the season, including 25 solo and 24 assisted takedowns ... averaged 4.5 tackles per game ... credited with one sack for a nine-yard loss on the season ... twice produced a season-high nine tackles ... had one fumble recovery and one blocked field goal during the season ... averaged 15.2 yards on nine punt returns ... had 12 kick returns for an average of 45.67 yards ... returned two kickoffs for touchdowns, including a 98-yarder in the Huskies' 42-25 win over Tesoro ... recruited by Utah.

Manaaki Vaitai-Polynesian
6-3, 299, OL
Euless, TX (Trinity HS)
A Dallas Morning News first-team All-State selection ... provided run blocking for the state's top rushing team, averaging 276 yards per game ... credited with 264 knockdowns ... a two-year starter for head coach Steve Lineweaveran ... helped lead the Trojans to an 11-1 record and a state championship game appearance ... a unanimous first-team District 7-5A offensive lineman ... named a Fort Worth Star-Telegram Super Teams first-team all-state selection ... earned MaxPreps second-team All-America honors ... received the Ray Verkerk Outstanding Offensive Lineman Award ... an Eagle Scout ... recruited by Baylor, Colorado State, Houston, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas A&M and TCU.

Aveni Leung Wai-Polynesian
6-1, 220, LB
Aiea, HI (Grossmont JC)
All-Foothill Conference first-team linebacker ... helped lead the Griffins to the California junior college state championship as a freshman ... plans to serve an LDS Church mission before enrolling at BYU ... prepped at Aiea High School in Oahu ... a first-team All-Foothill Conference selection. Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
BYU RB Mike Hague is now gone on a mission and won't be back until the 2009 season. The other white backs will probably see increased competition from the non-whites, but I'll try to keep you updated on the situation. The spring game is around April 14.
<DIV =lineText>

Collie back to shake off the rust
'04 MWC frosh of year catching up with Cougs
<DIV =authorText>By Jeff Call
Deseret Morning News
<DIV id=storyText> PROVO  While Austin Collie is a nice guy, finishing last is unfamiliar territory for him.

<DIV =viewPic style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: #666666 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; FLOAT: right; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; WIDTH: 147px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 6px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #666666 1px solid">
collie0323.jpg

<DIV =viewPicCap style="WIDTH: 147px">Austin Collie So that's why the BYU wide receiver became frustrated as he brought up the rear while running wind sprints, also known as "gassers," with teammates during winter conditioning drills. Of course, he had just returned from an LDS mission to Argentina in January, and the resulting rust was manifesting itself regularly.
But as spring practices opened this week, Collie has shown glimpses of his talent  catching passes, making plays and resembling the fleet-footed, sure-handed wideout that earned him Mountain West Conference freshman-of-the-year honors in 2004.
"He came from being last in every gasser and frustrated because he was last," recalled coach Bronco Mendenhall. "It was maybe the first time in his life that he was last in anything. Now he has the chance to compete and prove his skills  and make it through practice."
After the first day of spring drills on Monday, quarterback Max Hall was asked about Collie's performance. "He looked sweet, didn't he?" he said. "He made a couple of awesome grabs."
Collie admits he still has a lot of work to do before he can live up to the reputation he established in 2004. In his first collegiate game, he grabbed what turned out to be the game-winning touchdown pass in a victory over Notre Dame on national television. By the end of that season, he had caught 53 passes for 771 yards and eight touchdowns.
Then Collie left for a mission. While he thoroughly enjoyed those two years of service, he returned to a situation where he was battling just to be a football player again.
"It's still frustrating," Collie said. "It was frustrating at the beginning just because you know where you can get and you know your potential. It's frustrating to go back down the ladder and work from scratch again. But it's coming along. I'm really happy with the progress I'm seeing in myself and in my team. I'm looking forward to getting better.
"Right now, I'd probably say I'm at 50 percent, as far as my legs and things like that," Collie continued. "I'm trying to get the routes back down. It's a different story coming back after two years. Your mind thinks you can do something but your body doesn't let you. It's gone really well so far. I'm just trying to get the offense down. I'm still trying to get my legs underneath me and get back in playing shape. I'm getting my body used to going at this type of pace."
As a freshman, Collie weighed 196 pounds. He's listed at 212 now and wants to get down to 207 or 208. "I need to cut the excess fat and add some muscle," he said. "I got some fat that shouldn't be there, and it's not helping me run faster. My diet (in Argentina) was terrible. It consisted of hot dogs, fried chicken, pasta, and soda. I just wasn't eating healthy. Right now, I'm paying for it."
While serving his mission, four BCS schools  Oregon, Stanford, UCLA and Oklahoma State  offered him scholarships. But Collie wanted to return to the school where his father, Scott, and older brother, Zac, played.
"There wasn't ever a doubt (about coming back to Provo)," Austin said. "I kind of made my name here at BYU and it's a place I wanted to come back to and carry on that tradition this team has accomplished in the past two years to get to a BCS bowl and try to be a championship team."
Zac Collie emerged as a wide receiver during the two seasons Austin was on his mission. Zac finished his career in 2006.
"It's kind of disappointing. I would have loved to play with him," Austin said. "We got to play together my first year, but it would have been a lot more fun now because of how much he progressed. He's one of the best receivers I've seen. He's my teacher. He teaches me the things I need to do as far as my routes and my technique. It would have been fun working with him."
For now, Collie is focused on Sept. 1, when the Cougars play host to Arizona in the 2007 season-opener.
"It's going to take some time, but I'm going to have to have a lot of patience with it," he said. "But the goal is to be ready Sept. 1, and that's what I'm looking at."

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Annual Blue-White, Legends Game Scheduled
by Jeff Reynolds, BYU Athletic Communications
brownline.jpg

PROVO, Utah (April 3, 2007) -- In what will be an exciting and entertaining conclusion to the spring season, the BYU football team will participate in the 34th Annual Blue-White Spring Football Game on Saturday, April 14 at Edwards Stadium. Fans are encouraged to arrive at 11:30 a.m. to participate in the free youth football clinic and to watch the annual legends' football game. Kickoff for the Blue-White game is scheduled for 1 p.m. (MT).

I'm planning on being there to see what next season holds.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Inter-racial couple involved in latest minority football player suspensions at BYU. For reference, UVSC is a college on the other side of Provo from BYU. Some of the local radio guys were just saying that the BYU players are getting a bum rap for nothing more than being chivalrous. You decide.
<DIV id=storyIntro>
<DIV id=storyTitle>Two BYU Football Players Arrested After Party Saturday
<DIV id=storyDate>April 9th, 2007 @ 12:12pm

Sam Penrod Reporting

Two BYU football players are suspended from the team for violating team rules. The two players are actually in jail right now on charges of burglary and assault.

<DIV ="mediaright">
Hooks.jpg

BYU LB

They tried to retaliate after someone was throwing water balloons at them after a dance at a college apartment complex near UVSC this weekend. But when they went after the people who were throwing the water balloons at them, that's when they got arrested.

<DIV ="medialeft">
SoOto.jpg

<DIV ="medialeft">BYU TE

The trouble started around 2:00 a.m. Saturday. The two players, Terrance Hooks and Vic So'oto, were on the ground outside of the apartment building when two students threw water balloons from out of an apartment above.

<DIV ="mediaright">
Dew.jpg

<DIV ="mediaright">Hooks Girlfriend

One of the balloons hit Hook's girlfriend and the players traded insults with the people who threw the water balloons. Police have identified them as 22-year-old Lacey Quinly and 22-year-old Jason Hancock. The situation went downhill from there are Hooks, So'oto and the girlfriend ran upstairs and they tried kicking in the door to the apartment and that's when police arrived.

Nathan Crandall who witnessed the episode explains, "There was like a big group of people. It just seemed like there were all these fights going on downstairs. So we took off and then we came back. It was way early; it was like 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning. There was police just surrounding the place and there were three people in the back of this police car and there was four police standing right outside and just talking there and they were questioning each person one by one."

Hooks, So'oto and Natalie Dew, who is Hooks' girlfriend, all were arrested and taken to jail on charges of burglary, assault and criminal mischief. The two people throwing the water balloons were sighted for criminal mischief but they were not arrested.

Last night BYU announced that Hooks and So'oto were suspended from the team through the rest of spring football for violating team rules. Their future will likely be affected by what happens in the criminal case. Dew has bailed out of jail, but Hooks and So'oto remain in jail.

<HR>

For Immediate Release: April 9, 2007 Contact: Jeff Reynolds Phone: (801) 422-4909

MEDIA STATEMENT The following statement has been issued by BYU head football coach Bronco Mendenhall in response to the recent arrest of two BYU football players:

"This is a matter we take very seriously. As a result, both players have been suspended from the football team as of Sunday evening. The nature, length and severity of the suspension will not only be based upon what is eventually determined from a legal standpoint, but also, we will handle this as an internal matter relative to the expectation of conduct that is required of members of this football program." Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
BYU Update:

Hall Named Starting Quarterback
by Jeff Reynolds, BYU Athletic Communications
brownline.jpg

PROVO, Utah (April 16, 2007) -- BYU head football coach Bronco Mendenhall today announced sophomore quarterback Max Hall has been named the starting quarterback following Spring Camp.

"Max had an outstanding Spring Camp and established himself through his performance and through his leadership," Mendenhall said. "I have complete confidence in his abilities as a leader, as a quarterback, as a team member and in his ability to lead this team forward through summer and through the 2007 season."

Hall, a 6-foot-1, 200-pound native of Mesa, Ariz., transferred to BYU for the 2006 season after redshirting the 2004 season at Arizona State. Hall completed 15-of-19 attempts for 139 yards during Saturday's Blue-White scrimmage.

Mendenhall said junior-college transfer Cade Cooper will redshirt the 2007 season after suffering a season-ending injury during the Blue-White scrimmage. Brenden Gaskins, a walk-on transfer from Glendale CC, will assume the no. 2 position during off-season workouts.

Gaskins had a scrimmage-best 174 yards on 19-of-22 attempts. Both Hall and Gaskins combined to complete 83 percent of their pass attempts during the spring game.

a-max-Hall-bwgame07.jpg

QB Max Hall

Scrimmage Marks End of Spring Camp
by Tyler Dunn, BYU Athletic Communications
brownline.jpg

PROVO, Utah (April 14, 2007) -- In front of 16,752 fans, transfer quarterback Brenden Gaskins led the his team to a 10-0 victory in the annual Blue/White Spring game at LaVell Edwards Stadium to wrap up the Spring season.

Gaskins, who took most of the snaps with the second-team offense after Cade Cooper injured his ankle, completed 19-of-22 passes for 174 yards and a touchdown. Max Hall quarterbacked the first-team offense and completed 15-of-19 passes for 139 yards and was intercepted once. Combined, the two quarterbacks completed an amazing 83 percent of their attempts. Hall completed his first seven pass attempts while Gaskins connected on his first five pass attempts.

"I was very sad to see Cade get hurt that early; however, it was positive to see Brenden Gaskins come in and get significant work with the team as a number three. I thought he showed confidence and capability, and I liked the way he played. For not getting much work the entire spring, I thought he showed poise. I thought he moved the football team, and that has made our quarterback position even more solid."

The first play of the scrimmage--a Max Hall pass--went to Andrew George for a 24-yard game up the right side of the field. On the next play Ryan Neeley caught an 11-yard pass for another first down. Russell Tialavea then forced a fumble that was recovered by Markell Staffieri that stopped the five-play, 36-yard drive.

Cade Cooper took the field for the White team and after he fumbled on second and third downs, Hall took the Blue offense back on to the field. George excited the crowd as he made a leaping 18-yard grab for another home team first down. On a pivotal third-and-five olay on the White 29-yard line, Brandon Howard deflected a pass that ended the Blue drive. Mitch Payne then missed a 46-yard field goal attempt.

Gaskins entered the game at quarterback for the injured Cooper and immediately began marching down the field. After four first downs, Payne finished off the 14-play, 61-yard drive with a 27-yard field goal to put the White team on the board first, 3-0. Running back Ryan Folsom had two carries for 16 yards and caught one pass for nine yards on the drive.

"I've learned that the team is confident, optimistic and is holding themselves to a higher standard," said BYU head football coach Bronco Mendenhall. "The team expects greatness, and they're willing to work even at a higher level than they ever have."

Hall's third drive of the scrimmage ended quickly when Kelly Poppinga immediately hit Wayne Latu after he caught the ball on third-and-five that stopped the Blue team's drive just shy of a first down.

"A big part of the offense is finishing, but overall I thought our execution was good today," said Max Hall. "I think the overall performance on both sides of the ball was very impressive."

Gaskins took his offense back on the field and marched down to the Blue's 35-yard line but after Blue's Matt Putnam sacked Gaskins on third and short, Payne missed a 52-yard field goal attempt. On the drive Neeley caught three passes for 19 yards.

Hall then marched the Blue team all the way to the three-yard line where he had first and goal. The White team's Kellen Fowler then came up with a huge Blue-Zone interception to stop the 10-play and 62-yard drive.

The White team's next drive was highlighted by the longest play of the scrimmage when Gaskins connected with Daniel Tervort on a 27-yard pass to take the white team down to the Blue's 37-yard line. Gaskins capped the 12-play 97-yard drive off with a five-yard touchdown pass to Reed White to extend the White team lead 10-0. Tervort had three receptions for 36 yards on the drive.

"To get in and play as well as I did, I'm just so grateful I got the opportunity," said Gaskins.

The Cougars look forward to their opening game of the 2007 campaign when they face the University of Arizona on September 1 at LaVell Edwards Stadium in Provo.

a-Daniel_Tervort-BWGame.jpg

WR Daniel Tervort gets biggest play of scrimmage-27 yard catch, leading to only TD of the day.

<DIV id=storyTitle>KSL.com
Mendenhall announces player suspensions
<DIV id=storyDate>April 16th, 2007 @ 2:34pm

PROVO, Utah (April 16, 2007) -- BYU head football coach Bronco Mendenhall today announced individual penalties for two players recently suspended for a violation of team rules.

Mendenhall said inside linebacker Terrance Hooks will be suspended for the Cougars' season-opener against Arizona and will be required to participate in community service. Tight end Vic So'oto will also be required to participate in community service, but will not be withheld from competition. Mendenhall added that both players are eligible to rejoin the team as soon as off-season workouts resume in two weeks.

"Both Vic and Terrance are tremendous young men, and I am looking forward to having them rejoin the team," Mendenhall said. "I appreciate the way they have handled this situation. We have set a high expectation, in terms of behavior, for the members of this football team. We expect them to maintain those standards both on and off the field. I am confident a valuable lesson has been learned and we're anxious to move forward."

Mendenhall added that both players will be required to make restitution for property damage incurred during the incident.Edited by: Colonel_Reb