2006 BYU Cougars

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here are the starting white Cougars for 2006. I included a few polynesians as well.

Offense
QB-John Beck
HB-Manase Tonga
WR(H)-Nate Meikle
WR(Z)-Matt Allen
WR(Y)-Jonny Harline
LT-Garrett Reden
LG-Ray Feinga
C-Jake Kuresa
RG-Braden Hansen
RT-Dallas Reynolds

Defense
BCB-Ben Criddle
KAT-Dustin Gabriel
FS-Quinn Gooch
BLB-Cameron Jensen
MLB-Markell Staffieri
OLB-David Nixon
RE-Jan Jorgensen
LE-Ian Dulan
NT-Hala Paongo

2nd HB Joe Semanoff will get some carries this year. Also look for WR(Z) Zac Collie and WR(X) Bryce Mahuika to get some playing time.Edited by: Colonel_Reb

white tornado

Mentor
The BYU channel on direct t.v. showed BYU vs Miami from 1990. BYU beat Miami who was ranked #1. BYU offence played three Rbs one was Somoen the other was a light skined black, the rest of the offence was white. They destroyed the black Miami D, Ty Detmer passed for over 400 yards. BYU's defence was almost all white as well. Final score BYU 28 Miami 21.Edited by: white tornado

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Quite a few of the quarterbacks on those prolific BYU teams were widely heralded and rightly so, including my all-time favorite NFL player Steve Young, but the white wide receivers who made those offenses go just as much as the QBs were scrupulously ignored by the NFL. I don't think a single one was drafted, even in the late rounds.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I don't know of any who were either Don. Todd Watkins, a black WR who dropped many key passes last season, was drafted in the 7th round by Arizona. If any white receiver had the same year, he wouldn't have stood a chance.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Foxsports.com has BYU picked to win the MWC and play in the Las Vegas Bowl against Oregon State.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Hey Colonel Reb.Your Byu Cougars are playing my AZ Wildcats on September 2nd. I will be at the game.Wish you were coming down.It should be a very close game.It's too close to call.I will be happy either way although I'm pulling for the cats slightly.Good luck to your Cougars.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Thanks white lightning. I pull for BYU because they play whites, but for no other reason really, even though I go to school there. I guess you'd have to be in my shoes to understand. Anyway, that should be a good game and I look forward to the season. Unfortunately, I will be in the air on the 2nd, flying back to Utah, so I will miss all the opening Saturday games. I wish I could fly Sunday, but thats just how the ball bounces sometimes. I am looking forward to the Utah State and Tulsa games in Provo more than any of the others. I wish I could be at the Texas Christian, Air Force, and Colorado State games more than any of them though. Well, at least I won't have to watch Ole Miss play Northwestern State!
smiley36.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
hey Arizona has a white freshman tailback that's been making some noise, keep us posted white lightning...

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
There has been some info posted about Bolasky on the running backs thread under College Football Stars.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Jonny Harline led the team with 71 yards on 5 catches last week. He looks to have another big year, and hopefully he will have a big game tomorrow against Tulsa. Nathan Meikle had 26 yards on 4 receptions, while John Beck had 289 passing yards and a TD to open the season. BYU has a good schedule this year and should have at least an 8 win season if they play to their potential.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Well, I was at the game, but I left early after BYU made it 42-17. They ended up 49-24 after a long weather delay. John Beck had a great day. Jonny Harline wasn't used as much as usual, but still had 71 yards on 5 receptions. Nathan Meikle, Zac Collie, Matt Allen, and McKay Jacobsen all had catches. RB Joe Semanoff had some mop up duty late in the game. Walk on CB Ben Criddle had a great day and was made defensive player of the game. The radio crew reported that he will be getting a scholarship!
smiley32.gif
Now, we have to go to Boston College next week.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Congrats to Byu.They had the heart breaker last week but bounced back in a big way.They are very talented.I hope I can watch next weeks game.I still miss seeing Luke Staley running for them though.Those were my all time favorite Cougar teams.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
62f58b52-1017-4144-8650-a979c6c9ad65.jpg

Zac Collie and John Beck after Collie's TD in the 3rd quarter.

Beck threw for 240 yards and three touchdowns on just 21 passes, while Collie also blocked a Tulsa punt as well as getting the 16 yard TD pass and another 20 yard catch. Matt Allen had 4 catches for 58 yards. McKay Jacobsen had 2 catches for 31 yards. Nathan Meikle also had a couple of nice punt returns.

Collie's other catch.
8f08dbfc-1168-4e43-a17a-92e5d2281637.jpg
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
BYU has an early start (for them) in the morning at BC. The Cougars are 7 point dogs to the 23rd ranked Golden Eagles. The game starts at 10 AM Mountain on ESPN 2.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
BYU isn't looking too bad so far, leading at the half. BYU hasn't beat a ranked opponent in 7 years though. We'll have to see what happens in the second half. So far, Freshman RB Mike Hague has one run, while Matt Allen has 3 catches for 42 yards, McKay Jacobson had a nice reception to end the half, Jonny Harline has 3 for 19 yards, and Nathan Meikle has 3 punt returns for 40 yards. Jacobson has 2 kick returns for 58 yards and Hague has 1 for 9.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Jason Beck is said to be starting at QB tomorrow because John Beck (no relation) had an injury last week at BC. I also updated the starters because they have shifted some guys around. BYU now starts 15 whites and 4 polynesians, and Jonny Harline is solidly the number one TE this year, as some people around the Cougar Nation refer to Ben Coats as "persona non grata." Keep in mind he was "spectacular" as a freshman.Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, 19 white starters! That's reminiscent of BYU's national championship team in 1984. Maybe all the Samoans in SLC are in jail.
smiley36.gif

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
They need a white guy carrying the ball. Isn't there a Smith decendent somewhere around there that can run for them? The whole team is white but still the ball carrier isn't, that is really a caste kind of situation.

Ol' Joe Smith must be rolling around in his grave.

Of course he isn't in his grave he's in HELL because he's a Mormon, but you get my point.

And Colonel Reb must have had some kind of brain fart when listing the players and included the Samoans in with the people of fair skin that are decendant from natives of Europe.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Nope, I didn't have one of those jaxvid, I did specify in my original post that I included polynesians, but I didn't in my last. I guess I'll do that from now on. Most of those guys don't get any more publicity than the whites do, and thats why I included them, not that I think they are white. Since blacks get preferential treatment way above every other group, I figure it doesn't hurt to include the names of polynesians from some western schools. They have had to deal with the system just as much as whites have, with very few exceptions.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
does Kayle Buchanan still get a lot of playing time? he and Ben Criddle had a heck of a battle for the starting nod at cornerback in training camp, and now it would seem that maybe Buchanan is better than i thought. because it looks like Criddle is their best overall defensive back.
smiley32.gif

also, when is Austin Collie (Zac's more talented younger brother) going to be back? i take it that he's on his mission trip. that kid was something!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Jimmy, I'm not sure when Austin left on his mission, but I am guessing it was early in 2005, so he should be back in time for next year's season. He was MWC Freshman of the year in 2004.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I'm back from Cougartown, where 26 year old Jason Beck was 20 for 28 with 305 yards a TD and a questionable INT in his first start at BYU. Jonny Harline led all receivers with 73 yards and a 18 yard TD. Nate Meikle had a nice 10 yard catch in the first quarter and two good punt returns. I'll have more stats soon.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Jonny had 75 yards on 5 catches and the TD. Matt Allen had 3 for 61, Zac Collie had 3 for 51, FB/TB Joe Semanoff had 2 for 22, McKay Jacobson had 1 for 35, and Nate Meikle had 1 for 11. Nate also had 2 punt returns for 29 yards.

Hockaday

Guru
I used to follow BYU a lot when I lived in Utah through the eighties. They were fun to watch.