2006 Arkansas State Indians

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I don't know why ASU are still the Indians and UL-Monroe aint, other than the NCAA's stupidity. I don't even know why ASU is my favorite Sun Belt team, but I do know that these are the probable white starters for the Indians from Jonesboro.

Offense
QB-Travis Hewitt
LT-Matt Mandich or Cory Meachum depending on the set.
LG-Shawn Shoemake
C-Tanner Jenkins
RG-Matt Reibe
RT-Dale Maas

Defense
SLB-Koby McKinnon

Look for FB Jon Hoeflinger to see some action this year.

docpoco

Colonel_Reb said:
I don't know why ASU are still the Indians and UL-Monroe aint, other than the NCAA's stupidity. I don't even know why ASU is my favorite Sun Belt team, but I do know that these are the probable white starters for the Indians from Jonesboro.

Offense
QB-Travis Hewitt
LT-Matt Mandich or Cory Meachum depending on the set.
LG-Shawn Shoemake
C-Tanner Jenkins
RG-Matt Reibe
RT-Dale Maas

Defense
SLB-Koby McKinnon

Look for FB Jon Hoeflinger to see some action this year.

They are your favorite team because they are the only logical choice. Ok so I admit Im a huge ASU fan.

The one thing I will say about this team is that Coach Roberts will recruit and play the best player he can find. Period.

If you look, We have a nice balance of players, but I will say that my favorite players from the past two years have been Antonio Warren and Oren Oneal. Oren is a good friend of mine from high school, and a great person. Both are black, but you wont find harder work ethics or better guys anywhere.

If you ever want to see some great underrated football check us out.

Also, since this is a caste football board, know that we have recruited several white RB's, CB's and WR's over the past few years and have gotten several.

Watch for one in particular, Evan Van Dolah. He ran a 4.38 in this years camp, and he's 6'2. We also have 3 white Wr's and about 13 of our 15 lineman are white guys, and all 3 Qb's.

Roberts is a heck of a coach and one I respect tremendously.
I value black players tremendously, and appreciate what they have done for sports.

I just don't like the system we have in place or the stereotypes that white guys are inferior athletically.

Great job with this board.
smiley32.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
you are right about ASU recruiting the best players they can find, regardless of color. although i think they do tend to overlook white defensive backs quite a bit, they have made a run at numerous white offensive skill position guys over the last few years, especially wide receivers. wasn't their best wideout for the past few years a white kid?

i remember them really trying to talk a white tailback from Bryant, AR into playing for them a while back. he was the best running back in the state when he came out as a senior, but Arkansas ignored him and went after a little black back from Little Rock, dedric poole, instead. poole turned out to be an adequate player at best, while the kid from Bryant gave up football all together.

i actually talked to him about it, and he said that he'd rather utilize his academic scholarship offers than try to overcome all the blatant racism that infects division I football. he even said Arkansas quit talking to him after they came to visit him and saw he was white...

can you believe that? how many talented kids such as he get ignored? my guess is a lot.
smiley7.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
That story doesn't surprise me at all. docpoco, welcome to Caste Football. I have a soft spot for the team that Ole Miss pounded at Homecoming for so many years!
smiley36.gif
I am not too close to the program there, but I believe you would see things differently if you went inside the athletic facility there on Friday's during the fall and saw the recruiting boards. They would be looking at a disproportionate number of blacks versus whites. A-State when I watched them play Ole Miss a couple of times wasn't any whiter than the Rebels. They may have recruited some white DBs, but I don't recall seeing many of them on the field. I do remember a white O line compared to Ole Miss, but everything else was about even. Ole Miss has went off the deep end recruiting blacks almost solely for the last 4 years and it shows, big time. My guess is that Coach Roberts recruits mainly blacks, but gives the whites he gets a pretty fair shot. A-State seems to be holding its own as far as white players go, not changing their number of starters a whole lot over the last 8 years or so, which is saying something considering the changes in a lot of teams. I would ask you this question, what have the majority of blacks in sports (NCAA, NFL, NBA, MLB)done for it that you see as positive to the sport or to American culture? I have nothing against blacks who act in a mature way, but when they look like gansters, and "act a fool" on and off the field of athletic competition, I am turned off in a hurry, and I wouldn't value a black player more than I would a white one.