WR -- Bryce McGovern

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
April 2, 2010

McGovern has first offer

Douglas Benton
NorCalPreps.com

Monte Vista was home to the No. 1 prospect in 2010 with quarterback Brett Nottingham and his favorite target a year ago is starting to make his own recruiting news. Wide receiver Bryce McGovern is coming off of a 106 catch season and should continue to build off of his first Pac-10 offer this summer.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Bryce-McGovern-108998;_ylt=AnAZJGSUnm2HGTFDfeOsn95HPZB4

I couldn't find anything on youtube. I wonder if he's a beast like Wes Welker?

Catchit

<div>Bryce McGovern's Youtube Highlight video</div><div>
</div>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D50v3aOlN7w<div>

<div>
</div></div>

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Excellent short-area burst!

And sharp-cuts out of his routes.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
I'm surprised that no one has commented on his Junior highlites.. Don't we want to see White receivers in action on every level, but particularly high school and above?

My only critique of Bryce is that I think he jumps for many balls that he doesn't need to jump for. He'll have to worry about "head-hunters" if he continues to do that in college.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
"Interesting" update and article...

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1181486

Bryce McGovern is the type of player who may not exactly fit in any particular role. But one thing is for sure: he's a flat-out football player, and next year, he'll come to Cal as a preferred walk-on.

"It came down to location -- how close Cal is to my home -- as well as just extremely good football, and a UC Berkeley education is nothing to look down upon, either," McGovern said. "I feel like I'm getting a great education at a place very close to my house, so it was an easy call for me."

This season for Danville (Calif.) Monte Vista, McGovern caught 71 passes for 1,200 yards and 11 touchdowns - all team-highs - while adding 29 rushes for 172 yards and a score on offense. He returned two kickoffs for 58 yards, returned four punts for 13 yards (four fair catches), completed both of his attempted passes for 51 total yards and a score and even had seven kickoffs for 150 yards and two touchbacks. Simply put, McGovern can play, which is why Cal head coach Jeff Tedford called him a little over a month ago to offer him a preferred walk-on spot for next season.

Even with a career 177 passes caught for 3,263 yards and 28 touchdowns, and a Northern California-record 2,063 yards and 106 catches as a junior, McGovern did not receive a single scholarship offer this recruiting cycle.

Several Ivy League schools -- which cannot offer athletic scholarships, but rather other kinds of financial aid -- extended offers, including Princeton, Cornell and Brown. But, when Tedford phoned McGovern just over a month ago, the 5-foot-10, 192-pound wide receiver was more than willing to listen. On his official visit last weekend, McGovern's choice was cemented.

I guess the Washington State "offer" fell through or something, but he wanted to stay close to home anyhow.

With help needed at the cornerback position, McGovern could also see time on the defensive side of the ball.

"They asked me, actually, which side I could see myself on, and it was a real tough question to answer, because this last season, I had a great time on the defensive side of the ball," McGovern said. "They noticed that, and wanted to ask where I felt I might end up. I still kind of have an offensive mind, but if I can contribute to the team best on the defensive side of the ball, I'm all for it."

This past season, McGovern made returned four interceptions for 30 yards in the defensive backfield. He also would seem to possess the necessary speed to play corner, with a 4.6-second 40-yard dash time.

"I was just all over," he said. "I played corner for the first five games, then I moved to safety for the sixth game, and from week seven to week 12, I played outside linebacker. I just kept getting closer to the line of scrimmage, and with each little move, I got more excited about defense."

Before McGovern made the call on Wednesday, another UC school -- UC Davis -- had been making inroads to get McGovern to come in as a preferred walk-on, as well. The Aggies -- who fell 52-3 to the Bears this season -- already had the allegiance of fellow Monte Vista wide out Dane Turner, but McGovern was looking more to the Ivy League before Cal came calling.

UC-Davis can't even extend a scholie offer!!

Another Monte Vista alum -- receiver Ryan Whalen -- went the preferred walk-on route at rival Stanford and earned a scholarship while turning in a stand-out four-year career for the Cardinal.

"I only look up to Ryan as a player, not for any decision that he made on what college to go to," McGovern said. "Stanford's a great school, and he's an inspiration to me because he was in the same situation, as a walk-on, and if he could earn a scholarship, he'd earn a scholarship, and that's what he did. It's pretty huge to be in the same situation as him."

That was a Caste-journey for sure.. take a deep breath. I mentioned Wes Welker in the initial post, eerie.. just a bunch of "record-setters" that no one wanted. Wonder why?