Wladimir Klitschko vs. Alexander Povetkin

werewolf

Hall of Famer
if it keeps up like this it's possible they might hand a home town decision to pov.

werewolf

Hall of Famer
some of those knockdowns were wrestling throws. now i'm rooting for Povetkin!

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
This holding by Wladimir is pissing me off. Also, as WW said, at least 2 of the 5 "knockdowns" were pushes and or wrestling moves.

white is right

Hall of Famer
He looked much better against Wach last year.
Wlad needs to fire his friend and hire a new trainer. Banks can't push his buttons. He had a man walking on egg shells for half the fight and carried him for 12 rounds? Manny would have lit him up for that performance, in fact when he did do this Wlad usually woke up and ko'd his opponent in the next round.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Not sure it will improve the reputation of Wlad but it is another win over a heavyweight champ. Povetkin showed heart as well.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Did Wlad look average? Yes but he still won on all three cards and it was a dominating win. Yes it was ugly but he should not quit. Not even close. I want him to break Ali and Louis Career Title Fights and also the Career Title Defenses. In 2014 he will have gone a whole decade as champion without losing a fight. Enjoy this guys. Some fights are going to be ugly but I seriously doubt we will ever see as gifted of a heavyweight boxer in any of our life times. He is simply that good. Ugly fight but an easy win. With Povetkin always lunging in and coming in low, these things happen. I've seen many former champs have ugly fights to but a win is a win.

We need to support Wladimir. If we can't support him here, then why are we on this board? Gutsy perfomance by Pov though. I give him a lot of credit. He never gave up. The heart of a warrior as most russians are guys you don't want to mess with.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Wlad needs to fire his friend and hire a new trainer. Banks can't push his buttons. He had a man walking on egg shells for half the fight and carried him for 12 rounds? Manny would have lit him up for that performance, in fact when he did do this Wlad usually woke up and ko'd his opponent in the next round.

I agree that a new trainer would be great but at this late stage in Wlads career, it probably won't happen. That trainer acted like he was rooting for Povetkin with the advice he gave Wladimir. Wlad should have finished it.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Yeah, funny that Wlad pitched a shutout on all three cards against an undefeated fighter and everyone is criticizing him. I recall some duds by Mike Tyson (Tony Tucker, Bonecrusher Smith, James Tillis) and almost every fight by Mayweather is a dud.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Did Wlad look average? Yes but he still won on all three cards and it was a dominating win. Yes it was ugly but he should not quit. Not even close. I want him to break Ali and Louis Career Title Fights and also the Career Title Defenses. In 2014 he will have gone a whole decade as champion without losing a fight. Enjoy this guys. Some fights are going to be ugly but I seriously doubt we will ever see as gifted of a heavyweight boxer in any of our life times. He is simply that good. Ugly fight but an easy win. With Povetkin always lunging in and coming in low, these things happen. I've seen many former champs have ugly fights to but a win is a win.

We need to support Wladimir. If we can't support him here, then why are we on this board? Gutsy perfomance by Pov though. I give him a lot of credit. He never gave up. The heart of a warrior as most russians are guys you don't want to mess with.
Spot on. :thumb:

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Yeah, good post. I agree, even tho I found myself rooting for Povetkin to pull a Corrie Sanders, and it was kind of an ugly affair, and I don't think Wlad won many fans in Moscow. He adapts his tactics to the situation, and him and his big brother are the greatest heavyweights of all time. And I'm a Povetkin fan now. I think everyone who watched him must be now. I hope he gets more big money high profile fights soon.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
[video=youtube;pN-0qrT6_hE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pN-0qrT6_hE[/video]

Westside

Hall of Famer
Just viewed the replay. I believe some CFers are being a bit harsh on Wlad. I thought Wlad fought a good strategic fight. He took a play from the Ali playbook. Ali, used to use his arms and shoulders to lean on fighters to tire them, notably Frazier and Norton. Wlad took it to a another level, he used his entire torso from the waist up to drain Povetkin of his strength. Povetkin did not have the boxing skill or movement to avoid Wlad's tactic. If Povetkin had a nice quick jab, none of the Wlad leaning on him would have occurred or at least have been effective. Another mistake Alex made was not delivering body shots to Wlad when he had one arm free when Wlad held him. His bad.

Wlad laid incredible power shots on Alex. Yet, Alex had the will to withstand them and keep charging. If Wlad connected with the shots he put on Alex, on most of the top 15 heavyweights, they would have been KO'd.

I believe 3 of the knockdowns were real on Povetkin.

Lastly, look at Alex's face. Wlad turned him into Freddie Kruger the Second. I thought Wlad performed well in beating arguably the 3rd or 4th best heavyweight in the world. He used an effective strategy to lay a complete beat down absent a KO on a elite fighter. Congrats to Wlad and the effort put forth by Alex.

Last edited:

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Just viewed the replay. I believe some CFers are being a bit harsh on Wlad. I thought Wlad fought a good strategic fight. He took a play from the Ali playbook. Ali, used to use his arms and shoulders to lean on fighters to tire them, notably Frazier and Norton. Wlad took it to a another level, he used his entire torso from the waist up to drain Povetkin of his strength. Povetkin did not have the boxing skill or movement to avoid Wlad's tactic. If Povetkin had a nice quick jab, none of the Wlad leaning on him would have occurred or at least have been effective. Another mistake Alex made was not delivering body shots to Wlad when he had one arm free when Wlad held him. His bad.

Wlad laid incredible power shots on Alex. Yet, Alex had the will to withstand them and keep charging. If Wlad connected with the shots he put on Alex, on most of the top 15 heavyweights, they would have been KO'd.

I believe 3 of the knockdowns were real on Povetkin.

Lastly, look at Alex's face. Wlad turned him into Freddie Kruger the Second. I thought Wlad performed well in beating arguably the 3rd or 4th best heavyweight in the world. He used an effective strategy to lay a complete beat down absent a KO on a elite fighter. Congrats to Wlad and the effort put forth by Alex.
Good post, Westside.

As much as we tried not to be, I think we were influenced by Max Kellerman's extremely negative commentary against Wladimir.

Kellerman just made another negative comment about the Povetkin-Klitschko fight during the fight that's on at this moment (Klimov-Crawford). His hatred for Wlad was very much in evidence today.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Thanks Carcharias.

Right now I am watching HBO's newest affeletic hope in Crawford. Sure he has skill and ability. But the sacrificial Russian opponent is capable but feather fisted and absolutely no threat. Frustrating. Looking forward to Cotto and to see if he has anything left, especially after being trained by Freddie Roach.

Ambrose

Master
Stay calm. There's nothing wrong with Wladimir. You guys may want to look a little past what happened on the mat and take a closer look and the venue and the opponent.

Wolf said: "And I'm a Povetkin fan now." Hmm, you're getting closer to understanding what happened this evening in Moscow. Yes, Wladimir could have attacked Povetkin and blasted him out of there in 3-4 rounds, but he did not. Yes, Wlad could have thrown his right rocket through the middle while Povetkin launched his looping left hooks and knocked Povetkin unconscious, but he did not. No, Wlad did not have to be so friendly and touched gloves at the end of the rounds, but he did. What was Wlad doing then?

Wlad carried Povetkin. Wlad took Povetkin the distance -not the other way around. Why? Because Povetkin -the investment and commodity- is worth much more to K2 and the Russian investors alive rather than dead. If Povetkin got knocked clean out in 3 rounds the interest in him (the value people have placed in him) would have collapsed. Instead, Povetkin going the distance, and playing the tough, no-quit, warrior, will have improved the interest sporting public has in him and increased his value to fight another day to the elation of his fans.

In a phrase: Why kill a viable market?

Westside

Hall of Famer
Wow! a little off topic. But Miguel Cotto looked sensational tonight. He looked 10 years younger. He was quick and powerful in KO'ing contender Rodriguez. Freddie Roach proved once again his genius in bringing a man back from the gallows. I was impressed. Cotto's left hooks to the body and head were epic. Povetkin should take notes.

A Martinez vs Cotto wouild be huge based on Miguel's performance tonight. I have always liked Cotto based on his skill and being the consummate sportsman. Great night of boxing.