White RB 2008 Watch List! I'm Optimistic!

White Power

Mentor
Also go to the Ball State web site Clancy is listed as a half back, and he was the starter at the end of last season, and did pretty damn well. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt that he will start this year because of his success last year. Also Clancy was one hell of a running back in high school then he was switched to the more caste freindly position in college. I beleive he is back where he should of been playing all along.Edited by: White Power

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I went to the Ball State website earlier White Power, and like I said before,Clancy is listed as the number 2 RB on the spring prospectus. Hopefully he will emerge as the starter there. I guess I should be more optimistic, but I believe that if a player deserving of a start gets scraps for carries, its just as bad as if he's not playing at all. Yes, Kevin Harris was moved because of injuries to other FBs, but I doubt they will use him at TB much. They had plenty of chances to do it before last season and rarely did. I don't trust Wake in that regard.

jared

Mentor
White Power said:
Also Willie Rose Fla Atlantic is a junior.
John Goebel is listed as second team running back for the Cincinatti bearcats.
Kevin Mulrooney is listed as the second team running back for Boston college.
Chan Moline and Craig Shepard for the UCLA Bruins.
Jayson Bird Idaho state.
Ryan Van Rensberg will see action for Vandrbilt as well.
Chris Clancy Will be the starting running back for Ballstate.
Ryan Matthews for Fresno State will be the Starter.
Also Robbie Frey and Nathan Sherr for Connecticut.
Ryan Christian played running back For TCU last year this year his is a senior.
Jim Mitchell is listed as a 3rd team running back for UAB and will play this year.
Ryan Bohm will see action for Utah State.
Tyler Roehl North Dakota State.
Derek Lawson 2nd team running back Arkansas State
Paki O'Meara is listed as the starter for Iowa.

That's all I can remember so far I would like to ask can we add Polynesian and Hawians or not I would like your input.

Derek Lawson looks to be a legit up and comer.
Ditto for Moline and Van Rensberg.
Chris Clancy doesn't even have a bio on Ball State's homepage. Scout has him projected to play backup TE.
Jayson Bird moved to D1AA. We'll never hear from him again unless he scores 60 TDs or runs a 4.18 in the 40.
Goebel looks like he'll get significant playing time.
Mulrooney may indeed get some playing time (only a soph. too, nice).
Tyler Roehl is probably the only D1AA white RB who will sniff the NFL. He's definitely good.
Everyone else you mentioned is hopelessly buried on their respective teams' depth charts. I was not aware of a couple of those guys though, good finds.

Mike

Guru
jared said:
Okay, so just to recap here, who are all the white RBs this year that are starters, or will at least get an approx. equal share of the carries? We have:

Starters or ~50% of carries:

Kyle Bell - Colorado State
Eric Kettani - Navy
Luke Lippincott - Nevada
Jake Sharp - Kansas
Toby Gerhart - Stanford
Jared Hawkins - Vanderbilt
Brock Bolen - Louisville
Micah Mosley - North Texas

Will likely see carries:
Dan Dierking - Purdue
Greg Shinego - Navy
Sam McGuffie - Michigan

Did I miss any? Overall, it looks like a pretty good year for white RBs (best in a while???). I think it will only be better next year with guys like Shakerin, DiLuigi, Alex Daniel, Martinek, Jessen, Moline, and Mosure as up and comers. Things are gonna get sweet over the next couple years, guys. Only a couple of RBs on the list above are seniors. 2010 and 2011 are gonna be nice.

Greg Shinego is hurt right now. Jarod Bryant would have been the other slotback, but QB Kaipo-Noa is hurt so Jarod has moved back to QB this week. When Kaipo comes back (unknown) Jarod will go back to slotback. Corey Finnerty is now getting reps with the first team at SB.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD =sm colSpan=2>

spacer.gif
jared, I don't know what Ball State website you were looking at but uh, well...
smiley2.gif

[url]http://ballstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14200& amp;ATCLID=702106[/url]

</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =sm vAlign=top>
< = =text/>
<!--
ViewPhoto(name, height, width, size_id, image_id) {
var url = "http://ballstatesports.com//share/ViewPhoto.dbml?";
url += "ATCLPID=&ATCLID=702106&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=67657&SPID=7633&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=&DB_OEM_ID=14200";
url += "&LOAD_IMAGE_ID=" + image_id;
url += "&LOAD_IMAGE_SIZE=" + size_id;
var win_w = parseInt(width, 10) + 30;
if(win_w < 400)
{
win_w = 400;
}
else if(win_w > 800)
{
win_w = 800;
}
var win_h = parseInt(height, 10) + 130;
if(win_h < 400)
{
win_h = 400;
}
else if(win_h > 800)
{
win_h = 800;
}
var barOptions;
barOptions = "toolbar=no,location=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=yes,";
barOptions += "status=yes,resizable=yes,copyhistory=no,";
barOptions += "width=" + win_w + ",height=" + win_h;
pwin = window.open(url, name, barOptions);
if(isNullWindow(pwin) == true)
{
return;
}
pwin.focus();
if (parseInt(navigator.appVersion)>3) {
if (navigator.appName=="Netscape") {
pwin.outerWidth=win_w;
pwin.outerHeight=win_h;
}
else pwin.resizeTo(win_w,win_h);
}
}
-->

<DIV id=PhotoCellContainer style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; FLOAT: left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px 8px 8px 0px; WIDTH: 175px; PADDING-TOP: 0px">
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0>
<T>
<TR>
<TD>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=171 align=left>
<T>
<TR>
<TD =photocopy>
QTHVYDBFOFHDHTM.20080722165707.jpg
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD ="photocopy photocopy_text"><NO></NO>
< =text/>
link = '<' + 'a href="javas' + 'cript:ViewPhoto'; link = link + "'1195642','400','343',"; link = link + "'400','1195642';"; link = link + '" title="View larger" target="_blank">';
document.write(link);

Courtesy: BSU Photo Services
http://ballstatesports.com/ViewArti...SPSID=67657&amp;SPID=7633&amp;DB_OEM_ID=14200
</TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD>
<TD vAlign=top align=left width="100%">
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD =sm VALING="TOP">
<T>
<TR>
<TD =lgb>Chris Clancy </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =B>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2>
<T>
<TR>
<TD =lgb colSpan=4># 27 </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =B colSpan=4>Tight End - TE </TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =B>
<T>
<TR>
<TD =B>Height: </TD>
<TD =B>6-2 </TD>
<TD =B>Weight: </TD>
<TD =B>231 </TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =B>
<T>
<TR>
<TD =B colSpan=4>Sophomore </TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =B>
<T>
<TR>
<TD =B>
<T>
<TR>
<TD =B colSpan=4>Hometown </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =B colSpan=4>Plainfield, Ill. </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =B colSpan=4>High School </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =B colSpan=4>Joliet Catholic </TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =B colSpan=4>Plainfield, IL </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =arttitle colSpan=4> </TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD colSpan=2>
<T>
<TR>
<TD =B vAlign=top></TD>
<TD =B vAlign=top></TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD colSpan=2></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD colSpan=2></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =sm colSpan=2>
<HR noShade>
Courtesy: Ball State Athletics
Release: 12/03/2006
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =sm colSpan=2>
2007 (Jr.): Played in all 13 games to earn third letter . . . started at Western Michigan and at Northern Illinois . . . after moving to defense during the 2006 season, moved back to offense after the Nebraska game due to injuries at the H-Back position . . . moved to tight end during the spring of 2008 . . . rushed for a career-high 103 yards on a career-best 13 carries vs. Toledo . . . rushed 12 times for 98 yards, including a career-long run of 36 yards vs. Rutgers in the International Bowl . . . rushed for his first career touchdown at Indiana . . . had a career-high three receptions for a career-best 29 yards and a career-long 16-yard catch vs. Central Michigan . . . 2006 (So.): Played in six games to earn second letter . . . moved from offense to defense during the 2006 season . . . started the first two games of the season at tight end . . . registered one tackle vs. Indiana and at Central Michigan . . . 2005 (Fr.): Played in all 11 games to earn first letter . . . started the Northern Illinois game . . . caught a season-high two passes at Iowa and at Auburn . . . credited with a season-best 28 receiving yards at Auburn, including a season-long 15-yard catch . . . High School: Earned three letters in football for Coach Dan Sharp . . . helped team to a 14-0 overall record and a second straight Illinois Class 5A State Championship as a senior . . . helped the Hillmen to a 9-0 mark in the East Suburban Catholic Conference as a senior . . . helped team to a No. 1 ranking in the state of Illinois and a No. 12 ranking in the nation in the final USA Today Poll . . . registered 132 rushes for 1,101 yards with 17 touchdowns as a senior . . . averaged 8.3 yards per carry as a senior . . . caught 10 passes for 137 yards and one touchdown as a senior . . . All-ESCC and All-Joliet Herald as a senior . . . tallied 288 rushes for 2,219 yards and 35 touchdowns in his career . . . averaged 7.7 yards per carry in career . . . caught 19 passes for 251 yards and three TDs in his career . . . two-time All-WJOL, All-Herald News and Tom Lemming Prep Football Report All-Area . . . owns a 3.1 grade-point average . . . Personal: Son of Mike and Rose Clancy . . . two brothers and two sisters . . . born Aug. 7, 1986, in Longmont, Colo. . . . cousin of Tony Barker, who played football at the University of Arkansas . . . full name is Christopher James Clancy</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

It plainly states he moved to TE this spring, but we'll see what happens. Edited by: Colonel_Reb

jared

Mentor
I saw his name on the roster but he didn't have a hyperlink to his bio like most everyone else there. Either way, yeah...TE...

Gi-15

Mentor
I own 3 pre-season magazind on CFB, and didn't see his name anywhere on any magazine, he's is not even on the 2-deep at RB, FB or TE for that matter, it's like he doesn't even exist, his stats while starting are outstanding though,talk about getting the best out of his opportunity. I can't beleive ball state coaches doesn't want to see more of him. Edited by: Gi-15

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
The magazines aren't always up to date with their info, Gi-15. You can check out a pre-season or spring depth chart on most team's websites now. I also use cfn.scout.com, along with my own personal info when I preview teams.

Gi-15

Mentor
thanks colonel, I went check it out myself. They seem to have a ''logjam'' at running back, no place for Mr.Clancy in this crowded and overtalented backfield...

I had no idea Ball State was now known as ''Running back U''.

White Power

Mentor
I want to rehash this issue I myself will root for Hispanics, Polynesians and those who might be a combination of both along with whites when watching college football this year. I understand if some of you on this site do not want to include them when talking about white running backs because technically they are not white. However they are making gains against the caste system at one of the most critical caste positions that has long been dominated by the Brotha for far to long. In my opinion any one who can run the ball and not be majority black in college is an improvement to the caste system that we are trying to change. Do some of them take spots on teams from white players probably I admit that. However the fact of the matter is their are minorities in this country. I for the most can accept all of them this is the harsh reality except the black at the running back position.By 2046 whites are supposed to be a minority in this country as well as all other races. We might as well face the fact that the times they are a changing, and we must change with them. Now if a white and a Hawiaan are vying for the same running back spot on a team i would want the white to win but if it's a Polynesian and a brotha then I'll root for the polynesian. I consider him the lesser of two evils. Your opinions please. One last note Blacks are only supposed to increase by 1% in the next 40 years that is a bit of good news.& nbsp;

jared

Mentor
I root for underdogs as a rule of thumb in many aspects of life and sports. I also cheer for other races and ethnicities playing football (especially in the caste positions) - just not at the expense of a more talented white athlete.

White Power

Mentor
I agree with your assessment. I just wanted others to chime in with their opinions. I like Harvey Unga and Ryan Matthews, and Paki O'Meara who father is Irish so I say we include them when doing stats during the season.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
You can include who you want in the stats that you do, White Power,and I will include who I want to. Seems likethis kind of discussion happens every year. We don't have to agree on every player. I too usually root for the underdog in football and for other non-whites over blacks, but not over whites.

White Power

Mentor
Alright my major was political science I am just trying to get you to see things my way. We can coexist on this site by agreeing to disagree. On the bright side white runners are more abundant in sheer numbers this year than in years past. I hope this trend continues for the future and the good of college football.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I hope the trend continue and grows too White Power.

blue_mentos

so im just curious, what do you guys think of someone like ian johnson? he has to be at least 75% white, and both his parents look very white. i know the media labels him as black, but do you guys root for him over the next black RB?

Riddlewire

Master
blue_mentos said:
so im just curious, what do you guys think of someone like ian johnson? he has to be at least 75% white, and both his parents look very white. i know the media labels him as black, but do you guys root for him over the next black RB?
He looks &gt;75% black to me. And with his pre-planned "Look at me and my interracial marriage" proposal that ABC was all too happy to air, there's no way I'll consider him anything other than an enemy.

KG2422

Mentor
blue_mentos said:

No, I do not root for him. I'd rather root for a coal black who is married to another black.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I don't like him or his wife.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i had the chance to see Derek Lawson (redshirt frosh Arkansas State) play in person as a senior, and he is very good. he's been getting a lot of praise coming out of fall camp this year, although the running back he's playing behind is very talented and is coming off back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons.

derek_lawson.jpg

Derek Lawson

guest301

Hall of Famer
Welcome back Jimmy C. I was wondering to myself a few days ago about when was the last time I had read a post of yours. I am sure this is close to being your favorite time of the year with college football and basketball just around the corner.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
JC, great to see you back! The place hasn't been nearly as cool with you gone. Hopefully Derek will get a shot at some playing time soon.