wes welker

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
I think they will, I read a report somewhere (maybe Rotoworld?) that Welker, Moss, and Edelman are probably locked into the 1-3 spots.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Welker returned to contact drills and was smacked twice by Jerod Mayo. I agree with Tedy Bruschi on this video that the Patriots should be proceeding with more caution. Welker is an amazing talent and is undoubtedly working as hard as possible to rehab his knee, but he isn't Superman. What's the rush?
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5439706

Bart

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
Welker returned to contact drills and was smacked twice by Jerod Mayo.  I agree with Tedy Bruschi on this video that the Patriots should be proceeding with more caution. 

Fuynny how White skilled position players are always in danger of getting seriously injured by their own black teammates.

whiteCB

Master
Why are they rushing him to contact so quickly? If I think I know the type of guy Wes is though he's probably telling the coaching staff to put him in these contact drills but still why risk it. The coaches don't have to listen to Welker's pleas to get in there and practice. Belichick should be smarter about this and slow the pace down. One bad hit to the knee could spell disaster!!

Kaptain

Master
I had a live fantasy draft this weekend and I just find it amazing how year in and year out Wes Welker gets underated. I've gotten him on my team every year for the last four years and have never used a higher pick than a 4th rounder. I checked on several so-called fantasy expert sites and the highest they have him ranked is 14th, but most have him ranked (PPR leagues) at about the 30th best WR. Is that crazy or what? If he hadn't gotten injured last year he would have been the highest scoring fantasy (PPR) WR in the league. No way this happens with a black reciever.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Kaptain Poop said:
I had a live fantasy draft this weekend and I just find it amazing how year in and year out Wes Welker gets underated. I've gotten him on my team every year for the last four years and have never used a higher pick than a 4th rounder. I checked on several so-called fantasy expert sites and the highest they have him ranked is 14th, but most have him ranked (PPR leagues) at about the 30th best WR. Is that crazy or what? If he hadn't gotten injured last year he would have been the highest scoring fantasy (PPR) WR in the league. No way this happens with a black reciever.

Fantasy players are just responding to the "market". Most probably understand consciously or unconsciously that white players = little playing time and short leashes. Why risk it? You could not put together a winning white fantasy team if all of the other guys let you draft the best white players available. It's sad, but it is what it is.

Kaptain

Master
jaxvid said:
Kaptain Poop said:

Fantasy players are just responding to the "market". Most probably understand consciously or unconsciously that white players = little playing time and short leashes. Why risk it? You could not put together a winning white fantasy team if all of the other guys let you draft the best white players available. It's sad, but it is what it is.

Well, Welker is not about to get benched, but that arguement does hold true for nearly every other white skill position player. I don't think most fantasy players think "short leash" as much as they think "white = limited ability." They are DWFs.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Kaptain Poop said:
Well, Welker is not about to get benched, but that arguement does hold true for nearly every other white skill position player. I don't think most fantasy players think "short leash" as much as they think "white = limited ability." They are DWFs.

Welker is not going to get benched but still....remember Mike Furrey, led the NFC in receptions, next year 2nd string, two years later out of a job. Totally unfair when you consider all of the recycled piss-poor black receivers. Consider the Detroit Lions, the team that had no use for Furrey after his great season, they are now going to start the poster boy for undeserving black receivers-Nate Burleson! We can bitch about stuff like that here but for the guy playing fantasy football all he cares about is the points.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Wes Welker has admitted that he's "definitely not 100 percent" healthy.

"It's just lacking that little bit, that little bit that really got that separation, that little bit of quickness, that little bit of something that's just not there yet," Welker said. Although his production thus far has been solid, Welker hasn't played his normal number of snaps and it's been pretty clear he's not all the way back yet. He should get there eventually, though.
Source: ESPN Boston

JReb1

Mentor
Patriots quarterback Tom Brady recently was in touch with Seattle Seahawks receiver Deion Branch about the possibility of having him rejoin New England to fill the void created by the trade of Randy Moss to Minnesota, a league source told the Boston Globe.

The source also told the Globe that Brady had been in touch with
Branch during the past week because he knew the Moss trade was in the
works.

And according to the Boston Herald, the Patriots and
Seahawks have had preliminary talks about the possibility of a Branch
trade.

Branch, who has 13 catches for 112 yards and one touchdown
this season as part of a deep receiving corps in Seattle, will meet with
Seahawks general manager John Schneider to discuss his future with the
team, the source told the Globe.

Branch played for the Patriots
from 2002 to 2005 and was named MVP of Super Bowl XXXIX. He was traded
to Seattle for a first-round draft pick before the 2006 season after a
contract dispute with the Patriots.

He told the Boston Herald earlier this year he would welcome a return to New England.

"That'd
be interesting to see," Branch said. "You know what, I talk to guys all
the time. I never wanted to leave, nor did coach [Bill] Belichick and
his staff and the organization want me to leave, either. We just
couldn't get the contractual part down. We just couldn't come to an
agreement. And that stuff happens.

"I still love Coach Belichick and if the opportunity presents itself to come back, I would love to be there."http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5661743&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

WHY? Edelman is the same size as Brach except he's better in every department with the MUCH greater upside...
smiley6.gif

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I expect the idiots like Jaws to keep saying things like "Moss is gone so Welker isn't very effective" every time Welker has a bad game. Wes is not 100 % anyway and hasn't had a breakout game yet this season.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Jimmy Chitwood said:
yesterday on one of the nfl talking head shows, they showed the Pats' passing game stats with and without Welker on the field.

it won't surprise anyone at CF that Moss' and Brady'snumbers were dramatically worse when Welker was on the sidelines.

if i remember the figures correctly, Brady's completion percentage was about 20 points lower, Moss was targeted more often but he caught less than half as many passes, and the passing game yardage totals were reduced by more than one third. as to the idiots that say Moss makes Welker better, and not the other way around, the numbers don't bear this out. when Moss is off the field, Brady's and Welker's numbers actually improve.
Here is a post from last year by J.C. that I was thinking about earlier today after hearing that Welker would suffer without Moss "drawing all of the coverage". I also remember the Carolina Panthers game last year where Chris Gamble said that it was easy to get Moss' head out of a game, and they had accomplished that, and rolled extra coverage AWAY from Moss to Welker, and they still couldn't stop him.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I'm sure he'll do fine without the "magic" Randy Moss. Wes isn't 100% so his numbers have been below what he's capable so far this season. By mid-season I expect him to be much closer to his regular form.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Here's a nice article about Welker in regards to his continuing on-field rehab:

<DIV _yuid="yui_3_1_2_1_128941817939085" ="yui-b">
<DIV id=article ns:vcard="http://www.w3.org/2006/vcards#" ns:rdfs="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#" ns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/Schema#" ns:media="http://search.yahoo.com/searchm/media/" ns:sioc="http://rdfs.org/siocs#" ns:dc="http://p.org/dc/terms/" ns:dcmi="http://p.org/dc/terms/DCMI/" of="dcmi:Text sioc:post">
<DIV _yuid="yui_3_1_2_1_128941817939071" ="hd">
<H1 property="dc:title">For Welker, ACL rehab continues on the field</H1>
<DIV ="byline">
<DIV rel="dc:creator">
<DIV of="vcard:VCard">
Wide receiver Wes Welkerhas 44 receptions this season for the 6-2 Patriotsâ€"good for 355-yards. That translates to an average of just over 8-yards per catch. Numbers that are, well, down from Welker's previous seasons in New England working with QB Tom Brady. Last season, in 13 games, Welker caught 123 passes for 1,348 yardsâ€"an average of 11-yards per catch.
<DIV ="bd">
<DIV id=copy>
<DIV ="_copy 0">

Yes, this offense is different in 2010. No Randy Moss, different personnel groupings, etc. However, this is an example of how difficult it is for a pro player to come back the flowing season after ACL surgeryâ€"plus rehabâ€"and turn out the same production.In a good read today by Karen Guregian of the Boston Herald, Welker was open and very honest (which we don't see often when it comes to injuries in this league) about his rehab and the entire process of coming back after a knee injury.

Welker, when talking about his knee said, ""Yeah, it's getting to the point of just trusting my knee and knowing that it's going to be fine. Not that there's doubt, but subconsciously (when you're out there), you think there might be doubt. So for me, it's getting past that and getting that muscle memory back."Â

We tend to gloss over this aspect when it comes to players. I blew an ACL out during my career, and I know exactly what Welker is talking about in this case. There is that "fear," when you are on the field that the knee won't respond. For me, that meant playing with extra depth in Cover 2, breaking down sooner when making a tackle to avoid any sudden quick movements (which did hurt my production) and the overall idea that I couldn't cutâ€"or moveâ€"as fast as I used to.

Welker went on to add, "I don't think you're fully back until a full year, and even then, I think people think you go through an injury like that and you're just supposed to come back the same when, over the offseason, I'm usually training instead of rehabbing. There's a difference"¦ . I still feel like I can play at a very high level now, and that's my job every time I step out there."Â

Again, the rehab process eats up the entire off-season. Instead of focusing on the weight room, functional movements, speed training, etc., you find yourself in the training roomâ€"all day. Working on range of motion in the knee, building the muscles around it, and learning how to run all over again. It is a grind, a frustrating period in your career. You slowly come back, find yourself "limited" in the offseason and only get back onto the field with a knee brace that looksâ€"and feelsâ€"bulky and uncomfortable. A daily reminder that your knee was destroyed, and you have to build it back up.

It isn't a surprise that Welker's numbers have dipped. It is natural. But, the important aspect here is that the wide receiver is on the field, playing and still producing for a 6-2-football team. Welker is experiencing the daily maintenance that comes with the rehab process (which really takes two full years), and he is out there.

We always judge skill players in this league by numbers, but as a former player who has been in this situation, I judge it by getting through every Sunday and contributing is some aspect to wins.

Matt BowenEdited by: FootballDad

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Wes Welker has 592 yards. He'll need to average 82 yards in the remaining 5 games in order to achieve his 4th straight 1,000 yard season. Given the severity of his knee injury several months ago, this season would be a great accomplishment, even if he didn't manage to make another reception. As Don mentioned in another post, I haven't heard the media so much as mention Welker's knee injury after the first 1-2 games. No, his 2010 "decline"Â￾ is all supposedly connected to the loss of Randy "The Slackass"Â￾ Moss.

Welker was a lock to win the Superbowl MVP award for his record-setting 11-catch performance against the Giants. Hopefully, one day soon, "The Patriot Missile"Â￾ will be able to finish what he started that night in Arizona.Edited by: Thrashen

JReb1

Mentor
With Welker I think it's the exact opposite of the Caste Systems conventional wisdom that Moss made Welker or made him better. Before Moss came to NE he looked completely washed up and has looked the same since he got kicked off NE. The same thing happened with Branch, he looked like a completely washed up WR in Seattle and now that he's playing in NE (alongside Welker) again he's playing better than he was in his prime in NE before Welker joined the Pats. Welker is WAY underrated and makes other players better with his work ethic, skill and enthusiasm and he also takes some of the attention from DB's away from focusing on the outside WR's.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
One of the strangest, emasculating, racist, and thoroughly inaccurate descriptions of a white football player I've ever read"¦

Article: "Wes Welker Is the Huckleberry Finn of Catching Footballs"Â￾

"Wes Welker's eyes are blue-grey. This is because he is a white guy. Not a big white guy, either. I mean, he's musclier than you, sure. But he's not taller than you. In the terms of his chosen profession, this makes him a little guy. A little, white guy. Scrappy. A little, scrappy, white guy, who catches passes out of the slot. Because his chosen profession is football.

It might as well be literature. Remember in Huckleberry Finn, when Huck says to Jim, "Throw me the ball," and Jim does, and Huck catches it for 7 yards on third-and-five? Or something like that? They're downright mythic, little scrappy white guys. Some are fictitious adolescents. Others are grown up but are not as tall as the people they work with. You could line one up in the slot and throw him the ball, if he wasâ€"in addition to being scrappyâ€"agile and a good runner.

Wes Welker's eyes are blue-grey and he is good at running. He is a little, agile, scrappy white guy. Put him in the slot and let him run out and catch the football. Who would even think of such a thing? Besides the Colts. And the Eagles. But then the Eagles put a black guy in the slot instead, and the Dolphins picked up the white guy the Eagles used to have. Oh, and the Broncos. A scrappy, little, white slot receiver. It almost seems like you couldn't ever picture such a thing, except you can, because people do it. Imagine."Â￾

The hypothesis behind constantly referring to white men as "white guys"Â￾ (or the omnipresent racial slur, "white boys"Â￾) is all too transparent. The "writer"Â￾ who penned this inexplicably bizarre "complimentary piece"Â￾ must have some dangerously high levels of self-abhorrence.

I wonder why he didn't refer to Deion Branch (who is the same height as Welker and Woodhead) as "short?"Â￾

Link:
Wes Welker - Huckleberry FinnEdited by: Thrashen

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
I guess this guy can follow up this story with one about how Deion Branch or Steve Smith or (fill in the blank) is the "Buckwheat of catching footballs". He will then be pilloried by the Al Sharptons and Jesse Jacksons of the world.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
That is a very strange article. I'm talking Yoko Ono strange.

j41181

Master
Finally decided to look up this Welker fellow, and man, he's the most accomplished the white wide receiver in ages. Hope he can cross 1,000 yards again.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Welker's really back to form now. He now has reached his first down per catch status that he reached his other 3 years in NE (he's at 10 YPC). He looks more explosive in and out of his cuts and after the catch! Some thought this injury would threaten his career, yet it looks like he'll continue on his career as almost the exact same player and could go over 1,000 yards in the very following year after injury! Congrats Wes!

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
361 days ago, Wes "The Patriot Missile"Â￾ Welker was 3 days away from tearing his ACL and MCL in a meaningless Week 17 game against the Houston Texans. The self-abhorring white fan-boys were as delighted as bloated pigs, basking in their own treacherous excrement.

I remember watching the video on NFL.com of play in which Welker was injured"¦one particularly inebriated caste-larva wrote: "Down goes the little whiteboy! The great white hope is dead! Haha, LMAO!"Â￾

Every single "expert,"Â￾ every single football "insider,"Â￾ every single commentator, and every single sportswriter universally declared (and with great glee) that "Welker would likely miss the majority of the 2010 season."Â￾ For possibly the zillionth time, the "experts"Â￾ had underestimated Wes Welker.

Welker made the Charger's (who had the worst record in the NFL in 2003) opening day roster in 2004, but was cut after Week 1. During his time in Miami, Nick Saban reportedly wanted to cut Welker in favor of the ultra-odious, multi-felony-committing pencil-neck, Marcus Vick. Yeah, that sort of psychotic absurdity occurs every single day in the fraudulent universe of "NFL, Incorporated."Â￾

86 catches, 848 yards, 7 touchdowns"¦and counting. 2010 was a medical miracle, especially for a player who relies so heavily on quickness and agility. If there is any semblance of cosmic justice in this loathsome, anti-white world, then Wes Welker will lift the Superbowl MVP trophy above his head in Texas.Edited by: Thrashen

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
ToughJ.Riggins said:
Welker's really back to form now. He now has reached his first down per catch status that he reached his other 3 years in NE (he's at 10 YPC). He looks more explosive in and out of his cuts and after the catch! Some thought this injury would threaten his career, yet it looks like he'll continue on his career as almost the exact same player and could go over 1,000 yards in the very following year after injury! Congrats Wes!

Really amazing how far sports surgury has come. When I was kid this kind of injury usually meant the end for a top level athlete. Imagine if the surgical skills were available in the past. What a difference it would have made!

Off the top of my head I can think of several guys that would have been greater even then they were. Joe Namath, Bobby Orr, Gayle Sayers, Steve Owens ( a childhood hero that played for the Lions-gained 1000 yards one year then tore up his knee). Even Mickey Mantle. I'm sure some of the old timers here can remember guys whose careers were tragically cut short due to a knee injury that a guy can now come back from better then ever.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Wes is having a great year and has proved the anti-white haters wrong once again! I wish he had 100 receptions in the regular season, but it matters little. Wes Welker is the man in New England and he has managed to recover throughout the season and get better, despite losing "the player who made him" and being double covered much of the time.