UFC Fight Night

Triad

Mentor
Just a reminder. They'll be fighting tonight on Spike from a Marine base. Main Event is Riggs vs Sanchez.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
There are some decent matchups on the undercard, too. I'll be watching.

I expect Diego to beat Riggs. You?

Triad

Mentor
Sanchez vs Riggs wasn't even close. Sanchez by KO in about a minute. It's time they put him in with Hughes or GSP.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I don't think the punch that knocked Riggs down actually hurt him or rocked him. Riggs was standing with his feet square and Diego hit him flush, knocking him off balance and onto his ass. It was the knee to the side of the hide that hurt him and led to his eventual KO by punches to the dome.

If anything, I think Diego was hurt more by Rigg's punch to his nose. Diego reacted like it was broken, and it certainly looked broken when the camera focused on Diego immediately after the fight.

Diego goes down in the books as the first man to knockout Joe Riggs.

I hate to say it, but I think Diego will beat Matt Hughes.

JD074

Master
On the bright side, Sanchez's dominant performance certainly helps pave the way for GSP/ Sanchez, which I would love to see. It's probably about three fights away though, assuming GSP/ Hughes III, and if GSP defeats both Serra and Hughes.

White Shogun said:
I hate to say it, but I think Diego will beat Matt Hughes.

Woah! Is he that shot?
smiley4.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
JD,
I could be wrong of course, but IMO Diego looked better against Riggs than Hughes did, and has looked better in his last few fights than has Hughes. Of course, he hasn't fought the same caliber of fighters Hughes did either, so...

Diego is the real deal though, IMO.

JD074

Master
I'm curious about what would've happened on the ground. Sanchez probably would've been better there, too (that's his bread and butter, after all,) but I wish Riggs could've survived a little longer so we could've seen it. Oh well. I agree that he's the real deal, and that's what makes GSP/ Sanchez exciting.

Triad

Mentor
White Shogun said:
I don't think the punch that knocked Riggs down actually hurt him or rocked him. If anything, I think Diego was hurt more by Rigg's punch to his nose.

Agreed. They actually connected with big punches at the same time. Sanchez was staggered but Riggs ended up on his ass. I thought Riggs was fine until he went for a takedown and dove into a vicious Sanchez knee. Great instincts by Diego. I'd rather see the Hughes- Sanchez winner fight the Serra-GSP winner but UFC will probaly let it drag out on PPV.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
That's what makes Diego tough. He has killer instinct and doesn't get rattled when he takes a hard shot. I've seen plenty of guys in the UFC take shots like the one that Riggs hit Diego with and go down. I do think Riggs is better than the performance he gave - but timing is everything in these fights. Most of the time making one critical mistake is enough to get you subbed or KO'd.

Talk about tough - I don't care much for big goofy Tim Sylvia but I'll never forget his fight against Mir. Mir broke Sylvia's arm with an armbar and Sylvia kept on fighting. Herb Dean saw the arm actually break and stopped the fight. Sylvia was pissed that Dean stopped the fight, he didn't even know his arm was broken til Dean pointed it out to him.

But I think Sylvia's reign is over. Rumor is Cro-Cop has been signed by UFC. Emilianenko left Pride for a startup org named BODOG, who supposedly have major deep pockets. Going to be an interesting year in '07, for mixed martial arts and boxing, both.

dkr77

Guru
Rumor has it that Pride is in financial trouble and the UFC is looking to pick up some of their fighters including CroCop.