The return of Forrest Griffin

guest301

Hall of Famer
I will tell you one thing, Forrest Griffin is not afraid to take on anybody. I just read on the Yahoo MMA page that Griffin will be facing (drumroll).... Anderson Silva in UFC 101. Anderson has fought two lackluster fights lately and has been booed by the UFC fans, Forrest will be coming back from a injury and a loss of his championship to Rashad Evans. So I will be rooting real hard for Forrest and he does have a knack for pulling off upsets as is evidenced by his victories over Rampage and Shogun Hua. Don't count him out.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Yeah, Forrest could have beaten Rashad. If I recall he was winning the fight early on until Rashad came back and surprised him. We shouldn't worry though, even if Forrest can't get the belt back, more whites will come along to win the belt at light heavyweight. Evidence seems to point to whites being the best MMA fighters in the world and probably the best boxers too! And the baddest man on the planet is still Fedor!

Good luck to Forrest!

Poacher

Mentor
It'll be interesting to see Silva fight somebody bigger/ taller than he is. At 185 he always seems to be fighting downhill.

Forrest can outwork him.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I think so too. I would give the edge to Silva as a P4P fighter, but Griffin is bigger and probably stronger when these two get in a grapple!Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

guest301

Hall of Famer
Silva was beaten four times before he even got to the UFC and we can see how bad he has looked the last two times when he just mailed it in. Forrest always seems to rise to the occasion when it looks like he is facing somebody better than him. Forrest is very cerebral and he will come up with a game plan to give him a decent shot at winning this fight.Edited by: guest301

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Forrest in a natural HW who walks around at 225-230. For a while, he was holding 240 when training with Xtreme Couture. I'd give him the edge is size, strength, toughness/heart. I say Forrest by decision.

guest301

Hall of Famer
DixieDestroyer said:
Forrest in a natural HW who walks around at 225-230. For a while, he was holding 240 when training with Xtreme Couture. I'd give him the edge is size, strength, toughness/heart. I say Forrest by decision.

Bold prediction. I hope it comes true.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
DixieDestroyer said:

Yes, he would seem to have a strength advantage here as well as size and possibly heart/toughness. But Anderson Silva is a little quicker and a better P4P fighter. Should be a close fight.

The best P4P fighter is still Fedor IMO followed by Silva and St. Pierre. This is amazing about Fedor-when you consider he's a heavyweight!
smiley32.gif

Poacher

Mentor
If Forrest can use his size and strength to keep him at bay he can snag a decision victory. I think this is entirely possible. I guess we'll see.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
I'll be cheering for Forrest but can't see him beating Silva. I think Anderson will be better at 205 than at 185. He walks around at 220 or so. We all saw the way he handled James Irvin last year at 205.

That being said, I can DEFINITELY see Damian Maia (white Brazilian) and Lyoto Machida (half white, half Asian) beating "The Spider."

There is talk of a future Fedor-Silva match but Fedor would put an end to the nonsense quite early should they ever fight.

JD074

Master
The problem is that Griffin doesn't have huge power. He clearly won the first two rounds against Evans. If he had more power he could've knocked him out. But he couldn't, so Evans had time to be patient, wait for an opportunity, and then catch him with something. Griffin is such a likeable guy and I would love to see him win, but it won't be easy.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
JD074 said:
The problem is that Griffin doesn't have huge power. He clearly won the first two rounds against Evans. If he had more power he could've knocked him out. But he couldn't, so Evans had time to be patient, wait for an opportunity, and then catch him with something. Griffin is such a likeable guy and I would love to see him win, but it won't be easy.

Good point on Griffin's lack of KO power/heavy hands. He's a big LHW with boatloads of grit/heart and solid BJJ. BTW, James Irvin's not on Forrest's level, so I'm not sure that's a valid comparison.