Spygate/Arlen Specter

bigunreal

Mentor
Okay, you all know how I tend to think things are fixed....

What's with the timing of this new outburst of publicity about the Patriots' alleged spying scandal? This story has pretty much been dormant since September, and now, only days before the Super Bowl, our mainstream media decides to focus on it? Now, on the eve of the Super Bowl, an ex- Patriots' employee reveals he may have a tape of the Rams' walk through before the Super Bowl in 2001? Huh?

Most suspicious of all, the most odious Senator the Republican Party has ever produced, Arlen Specter, suddenly demands hearings and questions the alleged destruction of evidence? This corrupt shyster is the same man who invented the "magic bullet theory" in the JFK assassination, so you know he has less credibility than almost anyone on the face of the earth. Specter not only created this impossible fairy tale instead of investigating the murder of a sitting U.S. president, he controlled much of that non-investigation, and was one of a handful of people on the Warren Commission staff who controlled the cover up at the ground level. It's the height of hypocrisy for this man to castigate anyone about supposedly destroying or suppressing evidence. It's a wonder he wasn't turned to salt when he first broached this subject in public.

I don't know what this all means, but it certainly appears as if some powerful people want to distract the Patriots on the eve of the Super Bowl. Not making any Super Bowl fixed predictions, just wanted to point this out and engage in my typical ranting.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Recent history suggests this will fire up the Patriots more than it will "distract" them as you think the powers that be are doing. I do think it's wrong to be bringing up this stuff this week of all the times to do it.

Poacher

Mentor
They just don't want us CF'ers to have anything to brag about!

But I agree, the timing of Specter's circus is infuriating. He doesn't have anything else to worry about?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
What seems to be lost in all this is what business has the federal government investigating whether someone cheated in a football game.

Bart

Hall of Famer
bigunreal said:
Most suspicious of all, the most odious Senator the Republican Party has ever produced, Arlen Specter, suddenly demands hearings and questions the alleged destruction of evidence?

Specter is the poster boy for odious. His sole purpose in being a Republican Senator is to muck up every conservative initiative. He has done more damage than any Democrat on the other side of the aisle.

He could have made his announcement long ago, or even after the Super Bowl. Typical devious little rat

foreverfree

Mentor
Early in the week leading up to SB IV (KC [the last AFL champion] vs. MIN in New Orleans, at the end of the 1969 season), NBC News* reported that Lenny Dawson had been associating with a network of bookies that season. To make a long story short (read about it in Michael MacCambridge's America's Game), Pete Rozelle cleared Dawson of any wrongdoing within -48 hours, and Dawson went on to be SB IV's MVP as the Chiefs won 23-7. Point: shady allegations raised during Super Bowl Week is nothing new.

*CBS televised SB IV. Draw your own conclusions as to the Peacock's motivations.

John

foreverfree

Mentor
Now I must put on my devil's advocate hat. I wonder if almost to a person, we on CF would be deriding the Patriots for seven seasons of cheating if they had won the same Super Bowls and were going for a perfect season tonight (Eastern Time) with a Jacksonville Jaguars type roster. Think about it. Me, I've been sitting on the fence since Spygate broke about the integrity of what I'm tempted to call the T-n-T(Tuck 'n' Tape) dynasty. Of course, I grew up rooting for the Eagles, the Pats' last Super victims, so this might be biased.
smiley9.gif

John

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
foreverfree said:
Now I must put on my devil's advocate hat. I wonder if almost to a person, we on CF would be deriding the Patriots for seven seasons of cheating if they had won the same Super Bowls and were going for a perfect season tonight (Eastern Time) with a Jacksonville Jaguars type roster. Think about it. Me, I've been sitting on the fence since Spygate broke about the integrity of what I'm tempted to call the T-n-T(Tuck 'n' Tape) dynasty. Of course, I grew up rooting for the Eagles, the Pats' last Super victims, so this might be biased.
smiley9.gif

John

I'm sure opinions will vary but I find the whole cheating scandal a non sequitur. I don't think the Patriots won any games specifically as a result of the information gained from illegal taping, and furthermore I think such taping is far more widespread than we are led to believe. It's a story only insofar as the MSM wants it to be a story.

But I am also one of those who don't care that professional athletes use steroids, and the moral gnashing of teeth among some of our members about this I find somewhat amusing.

The only people who should be upset about 'cheating' like illegal taping and doping are those who believe that every other aspect of the game is fair, and that the best athletes compete to win in a hard fought contest, down to the last out or second of the game. This is obviously not true, so what difference does it make? The referees can't be trusted to be either 100% competent or 100% honest; the coaches can't be trusted to play the best players, or make the right decisions without being effected by prejudice or pride; the players can't be trusted to play their best on every play, and this says nothing about DELIBERATE efforts to sabotage the game because of gambling or setting of records.

Considering all that, what's a little taping and doping amongst friends?
smiley36.gif

Hockaday

Guru
Arlen Specter doesn't care about football. He cares about Arlen Specter, and getting Arlen Specter's name some ink and air time. If this spy problem was such a threat to the integrity of the game, he should have pressed the issue back in September. But no, he waits till Superbowl week to hiss about it.

This psychotic politician has no concept of integrity, and would probably laugh at the idea if one were somehow able to explain the principle to him. At this stage of his political career, he's been bought and sold so many times and passed around like a prison bitch that all self respect is gone and only his overblown ego and politician's pathetic need for attention remains.

He needs to slither back to his well lined snake hole and show some dignity in his old age.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
I really can't believe that the NFL has finally fused into politics, creating the ultimate caste-system.
smiley36.gif
What a joke.

Seriously, who the hell cares about a football GAME? I could care less about athletes "cheating," because unlike alot of people, I dont think kids should be looking up to thug millionare buffoons such as the ones playing in almost every pro sport. I could care less about the baseball steriod scandal, NFL videotaping, or NBA ref's being fixed.

The ONE AND ONLY "scandal" I could give a sh*t about with concern to pro sports is the vast racial profiling system known as the caste system. Until they stop drafting/signing/recruiting UNDESERVING players into the NFL, NBA, and MLB, I don't really care what happens....because IT'S ALREADY COMPLETELY FAKE
smiley11.gif
.That being said, Go PATS!Edited by: Thrashen

foreverfree

Mentor
bigunreal said:
Okay, you all know how I tend to think things are fixed....

Yeah, but you were online two Monday mornings ago when I asked if the 2007 NFL conference championships were fixed. Seems you conveniently ran the other way then. We're still waiting for the answer.

John

Bart

Hall of Famer
foreverfree said:
Now I must put on my devil's advocate hat. I wonder if almost to a person, we on CF would be deriding the Patriots for seven seasons of cheating if they had won the same Super Bowls and were going for a perfect season tonight (Eastern Time) with a Jacksonville Jaguars type roster. John

Seven seasons of cheating?Not hardly.

bigunreal

Mentor
foreverfree-

I believe that all NFL games are fixed. This Super Bowl obviously was.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
"Yeah, but you were online two Monday mornings ago when I asked if the 2007 NFL conference championships were fixed. Seems you conveniently ran the other way then. We're still waiting for the answer."

I'm not sure why you (or anyone at this site) would attack Bigunreal. At least the guy can read between the lines and has fresh ideas as to WHY in the hell situations always seem so "strangely perfect" in pro sports.

If you acknoledge that one thing is 100% fixed (the caste system), why not everything or anything else? By no means do I agree with most of his comments, but that doesnt make them irrelevant. This guy has been an all-star anti-caste sportsfan since joining CF. Constantly discrediting him makes no sense...he's on OUR side.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Thrashen said:
"Yeah, but you were online two Monday mornings ago when I asked if the 2007 NFL conference championships were fixed. Seems you conveniently ran the other way then. We're still waiting for the answer."

I'm not sure why you (or anyone at this site) would attack Bigunreal. At least the guy can read between the lines and has fresh ideas as to WHY in the hell situations always seem so "strangely perfect" in pro sports.

If you acknoledge that one thing is 100% fixed (the caste system), why not everything or anything else? By no means do I agree with most of his comments, but that doesnt make them irrelevant. This guy has been an all-star anti-caste sportsfan since joining CF. Constantly discrediting him makes no sense...he's on OUR side.

I agree, I think it's a bad idea for us to bicker over little things like that. I don't buy the "fix" excuse for every sports event but neither do I discount the policy. Besides "conspiracies" are fun to talk about and generate a lot of interest.

On the subject; a local bookie told me that the local guys (Michign) made a bundle on the Super Bowl since all the smart money was on the Pats, however I have always felt that the book market is run from NY (like damn near everything else!) and I have to believe those guys took a bath with the home town boys getting 12. Any New Yawkers have any insight on that? Maybe Don from the heart of gambling land USA?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
jaxvid said:
On the subject; a local bookie told me that the local guys (Michign) made a bundle on the Super Bowl since all the smart money was on the Pats, however I have always felt that the book market is run from NY (like damn near everything else!) and I have to believe those guys took a bath with the home town boys getting 12. Any New Yawkers have any insight on that? Maybe Don from the heart of gambling land USA?

Books take big hit on whirlwind day

Win by Giants deemed 'worst-case scenario'
<DIV =story__remaining>

The "experts" got it wrong, the amateurs got it right, and the sports books got hammered as the underdog Giants won 17-14.

Link: http://www.lvrj.com/sports/15271471.html

whiteCB

Master
bigunreal said:
foreverfree-

Give me a break. You guys are crazy, seriously.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
whiteCB said:
bigunreal said:
foreverfree-

What "guys", it's one guy who feels that way, everyone else is just talking about it.

backrow

Hall of Famer
nah, he means that y'all are crazy!
smiley36.gif

bigunreal, c'mon man. you could try and look for a fix in every single game, every single sporting event on the planet...

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
jaxvid said:
whiteCB said:
bigunreal said:
foreverfree-

What "guys", it's one guy who feels that way, everyone else is just talking about it.

Thank you.

bigunreal

Mentor
Thrashen made my general point very well; if we all accept that the NFL is "fixed" against white players, then why would we automatically reject the idea that the outcomes of games are scripted? Nothing about the NFL seems totally legitimate to me; why would it to anyone here?

If the object of each team is to win games, first and foremost, then the coaches, general managers and owners would do everything they could to put the best players on the field. They would not discriminate against a Matt Jones or a Mike Hass in favor of obviously less skilled players, just because of skin color. I'm sure most everyone here would agree with that, but society at large would call such a notion "nuts" and think we were crazy to suggest such a thing.

I don't think very highly of any of the people who run the NFL. With the untold amounts of money that is spent on gambling every season, you'll have to excuse my cynicism if I think that the same corrupt overlords who invented the Caste System would not be above fixing games for their own purposes.

johnnyboy

Guru
whiteCB said:
bigunreal said:
foreverfree-

amen brother. it was a great game and the giants took their opportunities better than the patriots did. theres no shame for the pats. theyre a great team that got beat by the underdog. it happens. people want to make excuses and talk about "fixing" but in reality thats ridiculous. the giants wanted it more and they won. kudos to them AND to the patriots whom flirted with history, which is alot more than i can say for a lot of teams.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
johnnyboy said:
people want to make excuses and talk about "fixing" but in reality thats ridiculous.

Please explain why the notion that someone may attempt to control the outcome of a game through corrupt means is ridiculous. Are you saying it's impossible and never happens, or are you saying only that this particular Super Bowl was not influenced by anything other than what happened on the field?