Spencer Hawes

G

Spencer is starting for the Kings while Brad Miller is out. He is having some decent games for a rookie center.

Angelcynn

Guru
He got 17 points last night against the Spurs. He has had good rebound numbers in the past few games aswell showing he can muscle his way through. I didn't realise that Spencer is only 19! Should have a good future ahead of him especially with a mentor like Brad Miller.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Wow, 6 blocks. He must have "sneaky hops" and athleticism.
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

j41181

Master
I have GREAT NEWS, SPENCER HAWES is getting BIG TIME minutes 'n the best part is, he's only 20 YEARS OLD. He has so far responded big time. He has a DOWNTOWN(3pt) shot, rebounds, plays GREAT defense, excellent passer, and is remarkably athletic for a man his size (7 ft.). Just in his second season, he already has a game that seems to be a combination of KEVIN MCHALE(low post moves), DIRK NOWITZKI(3pt shot). He can even do the DREAM SHAKE. If he continues to progress steadily, he will be the NEXT BIG THING after DIRK, and NASH. Best part is, he is a WHITE AMERICAN, about time. CHOO away you INJURY BUG.

HE is capable of becoming a 20-10 or 25-10 player, as well as a 10-time ALL-STAR.

DIRK NOWITZKI is so far the only White dude with 8 ALL-STAR appearances (he is a sure lock for this seasons 2009 ALL-STAR Game).

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
j41181, I join in your praise of Spencer Hawes. Out of college I heard alot about Spencer's low post abilities and his athleticism for a 7 footer. The thing I and maybe scouts were unaware of is the range of his shot. He's knocking down 3's at outstanding rate and percentage. I agree he can definitely be a 20-10 guy and the Dirk comparisons are on point. I dare say he could be an all-around better player than Dirk. It is very early to make lofty comparisons but I think Spencer has the potential to be a much better shot blocker and rebounder than Dirk. Also Dirk is not the low post force Spencer can be. These are not knocks on Dirk, as he is one of my favorite players (I am mostly of German decent). Dirk is an offensive machine, I think Spencer could be dominate on both ends of the court.

Here's to Spencer's continued development and success.
smiley32.gif

j41181

Master
Triple BOOOM by Spencer Hawes:

19 points vs. Indiana (L)
20 points vs. Denver (W)
20 points vs. Oklahoma (L)

This is by far his best stretch of the season. The trade of Brad Miller may well have opened the door for Hawes to really excel. It's been actually a roller coaster year for Hawes, having suffered an injury 2 months ago. I took him several games to finally get his confidence back, and I'm very excited about his new found freedom to grow come next season. For now, I will enjoy seeing him excel a bit more as this season comes to a close. I still think he can become a 20-10 player. Congratulations to Spencer Hawes!!
smiley32.gif
smiley2.gif

j41181

Master
Spencer Hawes had a near-triple double:
smiley32.gif

17 points
11 rebounds
9 assists

8-13 FG's
1-3 3pt's

Sacramento as usual lost 112-100 to Philadelphia.

But what an outstanding performance by Spencer Hawes!
smiley4.gif

This is what makes the dissing of Washington as "too black" disingenuous, because the two best players Lorenzo Romar recruited for this team were white -- one of them's just in the NBA already.

foobar75

Master
GreatLakeState said:
This is what makes the dissing of Washington as "too black" disingenuous, because the two best players Lorenzo Romar recruited for this team were white -- one of them's just in the NBA already.

The team is almost entirely black this year, and will be even blacker next year with Brockman gone, so what the heck are you talking about? They're starting to look like all the other thug teams (UConn, Memphis, etc..)

j41181

Master
Check this videos about Spencer Hawes:

It's called Summer Hometown

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Very great videos I tell you. Hawes is my favorite White American baller. He's got great personality, comes from a great family, and a great neighborhood from the Seattle suburbs, and his sister is HOT!
smiley4.gif
smiley1.gif
smiley17.gif
smiley2.gif
Edited by: j41181

j41181

Master
Superb game by Spencer Hawes:

20 points (10-20 FG's)
10 rebounds
1 assist
1 steal
2 blocks

He helped the Kings to a 126-118 beating on the Suns.

referendum

Mentor
I saw Spencer Hawes today out shopping at my local grocery store. Several people recognized him. He was with a buddy who had a Univ. of Wash shirt on, and they drove away in a monster SUV. He seemed friendly enough, and I believe I heard him say he lives in our town. We are about 25 minutes away from Arco Arena. Didn't see all that he bought,I did notice some OJ and milk.

referendum said:
I saw Spencer Hawes today out shopping at my local grocery store. Several people recognized him. He was with a buddy who had a Univ. of Wash shirt on, and they drove away in a monster SUV. He seemed friendly enough, and I believe I heard him say he lives in our town. We are about 25 minutes away from Arco Arena. Didn't see all that he bought,I did notice some OJ and milk.
This guy has a great personality overall. Humble at the same time.

j41181

Master
Superb game by Spencer Hawes:

22 points (11-18 FG's) and 10 rebounds, despite his team losing.

j41181

Master
white lightning said:
The guy is stepping up his game. Keep it up Spencer!
He just did again, having the best game of his early career:

21 points (10-18 FG's, 1-3 3pt's)
15 rebounds
smiley32.gif

3 assists
1 steal
2 blocks

The Kings lost as usual, to the Lakers 122-104. But this Hawes were talking about baby, he's part of a new generation of White American bigs (with Kevin Love, and Brooke Lopez) who are going to do many wonderful things in the future. The White Americans appear to be back for now.

j41181

Master
Hawes just matched his career high again:

22 points (10-17 FG's, 2-4 3pt's)
smiley32.gif

11 rebounds
1 assist
1 steal

Kings lost 115-98 to the Rockets, but I'm mighty impressed with this young-blood.
I knew he had a decent low-post game, but he's taken his game to the outside, able to knockdown 3's. He was never known for that in college. He is one player willing to expand his game to a new horizon (I wish more could do that), and he will certainly be a player to watch for many years to come. Keep dreaming big Spencer Hawes!
smiley4.gif
smiley2.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley32.gif
Edited by: j41181

j41181

Master
Here we go again, the same bitch who ripped Beno Udrih makes a good-bad article about Spencer Hawes.

Hateful article about Beno Udrih

Ailene Voisin: Hawes continues to grow

Ailene Voisin: Hawes continues to grow</font>

Ailene Voisin
avoisin@sacbee.com
Published: Sunday, Apr. 12, 2009 - 12:00 am | Page 1C
Last Modified: Sunday, Apr. 12, 2009 - 1:06 pm

Spencer Hawes turns 21 in a few weeks.

I know. It's hard to believe.

It seems as if the precocious center with the huge personality, the boy King who has something to say about everything from Sarah Palin's future (thumbs up) to the Seattle SuperSonics' relocation to Oklahoma City (thumbs down) has been around for years, not merely two NBA seasons.

"He's only 20?" a surprised Yao Ming asked the other night, his eyebrows arched. "Really? I think he has gotten much, much better. He recognizes who is open, sees the game. He runs the floor. And there are a lot of great shooters in this league, but not with that size."

Size. Skill. Smarts. No more doubts. Hawes has all the tools. He also has a nasty streak, a feistiness and a rookie sidekick to commiserate with (all those losses) while preparing for the future. The rumors are true. The insatiable work habits of Hawes and Jason Thompson, their intense, often heated one-on-one duels, are credible and chronicled daily. And there is one element where the 6-foot-11, 22-year-old Thompson towers over his 7-foot teammate: physicality.

Hawes has some catching up to do. His skills are more advanced than his strength level, which is perfectly normal given his age and his rangy physique. That said, his progress between Years I and II is impressive by any analysis - statistical and anecdotal - so there is no reason to believe the Seattle native will suddenly morph into a couch potato, lose his passion for the game or pursue a job with Bill Gates, when he already has a nice gig working for David Stern.

In these final weeks of the season, Hawes' comfort level on the court has been particularly noticeable. There is both an ease and a heightened intensity in his demeanor. He no longer panics and forces shots, less often tries to thread bounce passes through a crowd of defenders. He contests shots and rebounds more aggressively. Against the 76ers on March 22, he missed a triple double by one assist. Perhaps most importantly, as he demonstrated Thursday against the Rockets by leaning, pushing and working the angles during his standoff with the 7-6, 310-pound Yao, he seems aware of his need to play with more force, offensively and defensively.

The next growth spurt, if and when it occurs, will include a critical mental component - a simple willingness to accept and absorb the nightly NBA pounding.

"Spencer has improved in every area," Kings player personnel director Jerry Reynolds said, "but the one weakness I see is that he does not draw fouls. He goes away from contact, and at the end of the day, as a center, you have to go in there where the contact is. Get guys up, go into them."

Longtime assistant Pete Carril, who is urging Hawes to master the hook or short bank shot as his go-to move this offseason, says, even more bluntly: "Spencer is going to have to learn to battle low-post players, to take the physical punishment and then return the favor. If he does that, he will not be an ordinary player."

My prediction is that Hawes, who reduced his body fat to 8 percent and added muscle tone last offseason, will not be an ordinary player. He has a chance. As his mother has revealed, he came out of the womb fighting. He came out of the womb arguing. He came out of the womb wanting to be special.

True, he gets annoyed at perceived slights and criticism, often counters with his own impassioned and contrasting opinion, but then he contemplates and analyzes, and always he moves on.

There is no woe-is-me, white-man-can't-jump attitude in Hawes. This is a former schoolboy preppy with fists. When he gets dunked on, he tries to get even. As Reynolds and Carril suggested, he simply has to respond with the physicality that rewards him with more than the occasional free throw.

"That definitely will be a point of emphasis this summer," Hawes said, nodding. "But the thing to remember is, we're not football players. My whole life I heard, 'You need to get bigger.' I tried eating crappy food to gain weight, and that didn't work. I finally figured it's a natural thing. When it comes, it comes. You can't force it. A lot of times it's not the buffest guy in the gym that's winning. It's the guy with the basketball strength."

Rockets assistant Jack Sikma, the former Sonics All-Star center who played with Hawes' uncle, Steve Hawes, and watched the younger Hawes during his Amateur Athletic Union and prep seasons, offered an interesting closing thought on a year when Hawes overcame an abdominal strain and struggled emotionally with the coaching change.

"Spencer is never going to be power on power," said Sikma, an excellent rebounder who was known for his sweet stepback jumpers. "He has to be smart, three-quarter (defensive stance), move his feet. Again, you see so much growth. He wants to be the best player on the floor. Does he have the ability to do that? Who knows? But is he going to try to find out? Sure."

On April 28, Hawes becomes legal. He turns 21. Scary, but in a good sense. Edited by: j41181

j41181

Master
Spencer Hawes just a had a new career high of 24 points in a 95-92 Kings loss to the Spurs. The player these idiots preferred, rookie Jason Thompson, only had 8 points.

Thompson is a rookie at 22, while Hawes is a 2nd year at 20. These idiots can't still believe in their eyes that a 20 year old white player is making it big in the NBA.

I think it's still too early to tell how good Spencer Hawes can really become. But one things for sure, he has all the time in the world and the skills to go as far as he wants to. He's definitely a player to look out for in the future.

24 points (10-18 FG's, 2-4 3pt's, 2-3 FT's)
smiley32.gif

8 rebounds
1 assist
3 blocks

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
If Hawes continues to make progress he could make an All Star tream in the future. He is at least 3 years away from it though. He needs to average about 10 rebounds a game and around 18 points a game for the DWF to even consider voting for him.

j41181

Master
Spencer Hawes just displayed one of the best games of his career for now:

21 points (9-17 FG's, 0-3 3pt's, 3-4 FT's)
11 rebounds
7 assists
2 blocks

Kings won a classic 127-116 OT thriller against Memphis. More games like this, he might get his starting job back. All this guy needs is experience and opportunity. I instincts tell me Paul Westphal will be a good benefactor for him.

j41181

Master
Spencer Hawes is definitely one of the GOLDEN BOYS of 1988. Dude has a very bright future, he just needs every possible opportunity to excel, and stay injury free. IMO, he is the American version of Okur, Bargnani, and even possibly..Nowitzki. I just love watching these multi-skilled big-men.

21 points (9-14 FG's, 3-4 3pt's, 0-2 FT's)
7 rebounds
2 assists
1 steal
2 blocks