Sergey Kovalev vs Nathan Cleverly

Ambrose

Master
This fight is to take place in Cardiff, Wales on August 17. It is a main event fight. The two fighers are light heavyweights. Kovalev is a skilled, mobile boxer with heavyweight knockout power and vicious will. Cleverly is a skilled, mobile boxer with an eager tongue but without much power. Kovalev has the ability to win with his boxing skills but choses to knock out every one he faces. Cleverly can only hope to win by volume, work ethic, will, or chance counter-punch TKO. The two fighters are approximately the same size.

When two fighters of approximately the same size and closely matched skills meet, we tend to evaluate their styles to determine who would win. But in this fight, between these two fighters, because Kovalev punches twice as hard as Cleverly, who doesn't have enough mobility or defense to avoid ALL of Kovalev's punches, and since he can't bear to receive ANY punches as hard as that which Kovalev throws without becoming dizzy or unconscious, we are left no choice but presume Kovalev will batter Cleverly like a storm. No matter how well he plays it, Cleverly does not have the cards to deal with Kovalev's hands.

I predict Cleverly will try, and test himself well against Kovalev, but will fall or withdraw after 4-5 rounds. Kovalev by TKO round 5.

I can't wait for this fight and I am a big fan of both boxers! :)

Ive seen many of Kovalev's fights and I know him pretty well by now. Kovalev hits very hard, but I'd like to see him in a longer fight so I can see what sort of punch volume he would carry into the later rounds (usually guys who hit hard don't throw as often, see Art Abraham). Ive seen 1 or 2 of Cleverly's fights, and from what I remember he's tall, decent boxer, mover, nice speed, but not a lot of power.

If I remember correctly, Nathan Cleverly only started boxing in his late teens, so I think he has less than 30 or so amateur fights. Kovalev, on the other hand, Ive heard has 250 or 300 amateur fights. So, its quite a difference in experience level. You'd expect that to have a big impact on the fight.

I'm not ruling Cleverly out, and the fact that the fight is in the UK, you'd expect the judges to favour him somewhat. Cleverly will need to have a solid chin, be able to move well, and show a bit of power. If I had to pick though, Id say the most likely outcome is a Kovalev TKO win. Kovalev is way more experienced and should win this easily.

Prediction: Kovalev TKO 7

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Interesting matchup. And surprisingly, HBO is televising it. :thumb:

If Greenberg and Davis were still running HBO boxing, they likely wouldn't be showing it, and they would certainly not have televised Gradovich's fight last Saturday.

Ambrose

Master
In case you haven't been following the press build-up to this fight, Cleverly, or his father, have been quoted at least dozen times bragging about how he is not just going to win but that he is going to knock Kovalev out. Cleverly also compares himself to Calzaghe.

Two things are certain:

1) Cleverly is NOT going to knock Kovalev out.
2) Cleverly is NOT comparable to Calzaghe.

Kovalev and his team have been quietly amused by Cleverly and Cleverly's father's quotes. But in a rare public reply, Kovalev's trainer has the following to say:

http://www.boxingscene.com/kovalevs-trainer-sergey-school-nathan-cleverly--68514

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Kovalev is something special and I wish he was not fighting a fellow white as Cleverley is good too. But Kovalev will win by KO.

Here is the weigh-in of the 2 boxers; for the Light Heavyweight World Championship

[video=youtube;AzyZeXKFd9c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzyZeXKFd9c[/video]

Both boxers look in great shape and very confident.

I'm *super* excited for this fight, and although I'm a fan of both boxers, I will be supporting Kovalev and hoping he can win the title. Kovalev should go for the KO though. Fighting in the UK against a Welshman, he should expect that the judges will marginally favour Cleverly, so he should want to end the fight inside the distance.

If Cleverly wins I would also be happy for him. As I said, I`m a supporter of both boxers. May the best man win!

Last edited:

amoeba man

Guru
This could be fight of the year as these 2 guys are the best light heavies in the world.Ive got Cleverly on points though he will probably have to survive some rough moments.Hopkins incidently has managed to avoid both.Peter Fury coach of Tyson Fury thinks Cleverly will win an easy points decision.They've brought Cleverly in for sparring and he says Kovalev wont get past Clevs jab.

Last edited:
Looks like the bookies have the odds about even for this one.

Great observation, werewolf!

I don't gamble on boxing anymore, but out of interest I still check the lines on fights. 5Dimes, as of this morning had Cleverly at +100 and Kovalev at -120. 5Dimes usually offers fair odds. What's interesting about that is that Kovalev opened as the underdog a few weeks ago, so clearly, lots of people have put money on Kovalev to the point that Kovalev is now a marginal favourite.

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
Possibly.

I think it's a 50-50 fight. If Cleverly can survive into the middle rounds, he'll win a decision.
Kovalev has very heavy hands and seems to have the stamina of Joe Calzaghe had, he was never blowing at any point in the fight. I couldn't see Cleverly going the distance in this one as his style was all wrong for beating Kovalev(especially with his body type).

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Kovalev has very heavy hands and seems to have the stamina of Joe Calzaghe had, he was never blowing at any point in the fight. I couldn't see Cleverly going the distance in this one as his style was all wrong for beating Kovalev(especially with his body type).

I would have preferred Kovalev face one of the black champions instead of Cleverly. I am going with Kovalev TKO round 8.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Kovalev went through Cleverly as easily as he beat his American negro opponents. He's easily the best light heavyweight.

Zeus

Guru
Sergey Kovalev is what the true boxing fans who follow amateur boxing already knew: the next generation of Eastern Europeans (especially former Soviets) who can punch, can take a punch, but at the same time box too. Check Golovkin, Vasyl Lomachenko, Kovalev etc. I keep saying for years that if one visits Russia and Ukraine and see the MMA and Boxing programs and training systems they have there, HE WILL FREAK! A trip I had there back in 2009 opened my eyes. Eastern Euros are strong and big naturally with IRON jaws. Now they learn to box as well. If any of you is aware of Boris Lagutin, then he knows what I am talking about! The Soviets based a whole school of boxing on him and obviously it works. Same goes for MMA. Saw Dana White saying that Russia and Ukraine will be the "new Brazil"?

Give it 5 more years and by 2020 both boxing and MMA will be nearly 75-80% Eastern European dominated just like amateur boxing and Olympic wrestling!

I am not shocked at all. I keep saying it (and you get mad) but neither blacks, Mexicans or whites of western origin stand a chance. If Napoleon and Hitler failed to beat them, Wilder or Cleverly will? Please! You think those "chosen" people who start signing and promoting peeps like Golovkin, Lomachenko etc. like they used to do back in the 70's-80's with blacks and Mexicans are stupid? I beg to differ. Give it some time and the Eastern European HEAVYWEIGHTS will fight in Las Vegas and Madison Square Garden and some ''chosen" promoters ala Bob Arum will be happy men!

Zeus

Guru
I already posted in boxingscene.com and I just posted a fun question in yahoo answers too (the capital of black supremacists and self loathing white Americans)
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...HGgdVCXsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20130817145703AAB1YY7

Keep in mind this Stick and Move guy claims to be a white American but I think he's a Negro with multiple accounts who once claims to be Italian, then Filipino, then South African etc. He claims to be anything but Negro and he's the most pro-black piece of feces I have ever seen in my entire life!

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
If you have Facebook please post on that link I provided. As I've stated I have been banned. Black racists like Dee Clagon and Eric Han**** couldn't take it and the piece of **** Italian arewrestler Steve Inzalaco is the biggest negro worshipper on the planet. I'm sick to the stomach. Please post something about Hopkins and Stevenson being afraid to face Kovalev, the negroes will throw fits.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Holy S-it! Popkins and Stevenson will never, ever fight this guy. He could go down to 168 and destroy Andre Ward as well.

No - have Ward come up to 175. Going down in weight is always the kiss of death. Kovalev is the Golovkin of 175. Nobody can come close to beating him or even to hearing the final bell.

Ambrose

Master
ORIGINALLY POSTED BY AMBROSE:

"...I predict Cleverly will try, and test himself well against Kovalev, but will fall or withdraw after 4-5 rounds. Kovalev by TKO round 5."

Called it near perfectly!! Again!!

Now 3-0 on this site. Damn good. Wanted very badly to see Kovalev destroy Cleverly. What you folks don't get is Kovalev is the Wladimir or the light heavies. I don't hate Cleverly, but he never would of been anything. Just a pitty-patter stylist. Now Kovalev will destroy every a-hole (you know the type) out there. I said long ago this guy is the heir apparent and now I am absolutely convinced!