Sebastian Zbik

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Sebastian Zbik won today by wide decision over Domenico Spada.

from fightnews:

"In a highly charged rematch, WBC interim middleweight world champion Sebastian Zbik (29-0, 10 KOs) won a clear twelve round unanimous decision over WBC #2 rated Domenico Spada (30-3, 15 KOs) on Saturday night at the Bordelandhalle in Magdeburg, Germany."

"This time, Zbik was too mobile, too fast and too well schooled for the wild and aggressive Spada. The champion was cut over the left eye and on the bridge of the nose by head clashes in round four (Spada was deducted a point under WBC rules). However, Spada slowed down in the second half of the fight and Zbik dominated down the stretch to win 117-110, 116-111, 116-111. All questions left after the first Zbik-Spada fight were answered tonight."

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Also Pirog is in action tonight. I really wish the fight was in Europe so he would have a better chance and we could watch it this afternoon. Instead it's in Vegas of all places.

Westside

Hall of Famer
If Chavez shows up like he dd against Duddy last year, it won't be a walk in the park for Zbik. HBO will televise it next week.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Saw Chavez work out, he is noticably bigger muscle wise and it appears that his punches have more snap. I don't know much about Zbik, does anyone know his skill set?

BoxingFanUK

Realistically, Chavez Jr. is being favoured to win the fight. Betting odds as of the day before the fight (today) are -210 as a favourite for Chavez.

Quite literally, Chavez Jr is favoured over Zbik by the same degree that Klitschko is favoured over Haye (Klitschko is going at -190, so about the same).

I have to admit, Zbik has had some close calls with questionable opposition. There are some question marks about Zbik. There are also some question marks about Chavez Jr (age, how will he handle pressure?, level of opposition hasn't been the best, he also has zero amateur experience).

In my opinion, it seems like an even fight. I might leab slightly towards Chavez Jr. due to his superior punching power and the fact the fight is in the USA.

That being said, I would not count out a Zbik victory provided judging is fair. I do have some questions about Chavez, and I do think Zbik has some decent boxing skills (just dont know if he has enough to win).

We'll know a lot more about both fighters after tomorrow night!

PS) Chavez Jr looks white to me. There is no difference between him and Sergio Martinez. His Dad also looks white. Certainly, he has some (and I think a majority) European background. Any1 can shed some more light on that issue?

BoxingFanUK

Zbik is not one of the better European fighters out there. Even at his own weightclass, other white middleweights such as Sturm, Macklin, Sylvester, and Geale are all better than him...

That being said fighters can improve and Im not ruling Zbik out! He will need to show some improvements and have a career best performance to beat Chavez, though.
Edited by: BoxingFanUK

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Sebastian Zbik is not one of the top 25 white boxers, although I rate him in the top 40 or so. He has decent boxing skills but lacks power.

Even if Zbik does outbox Chavez, there's no way he's getting fair scoring from the judges on a Bob Arum Top Rank card in Las Vegas against one of Arum's "cash cows".

Zbik needs a KO to win, but with only 10 KOs in 30 fights I don't believe he has enough punching power to do it.

I'm not very interested in the Zbik-Chavez fight, although I'll watch it because it will likely be on later than the Froch fight.

There are 3 better white boxers in action tomorrow: Mikkel Kessler, Carl Froch and the very underrated Zsolt Erdei. As well, there's a couple of talented up-and-comers in action: heavyweight Edmund Gerber and light heavyweight Dustin Dirks.Edited by: Parody

Westside

Hall of Famer
I would say Chavez Jr is probably 75% Spainard where as Sergio Martinez is 100% Spainard from what I see and read.

I have a feeling Chavez will show up better than he did against Duddy, which means bad news for Zbik.

BoxingFanUK

Parody said:
Sebastian Zbik is not one of the top 25 white boxers, although I rate him in the top 40 or so. He has decent boxing skills but lacks power.

Even if Zbik does outbox Chavez, there's no way he's getting fair scoring from the judges on a Bob Arum Top Rank card in Las Vegas against one of Arum's "cash cows".

Zbik needs a KO to win, but with only 10 KOs in 30 fights I don't believe he has enough punching power to do it.

Largely agreed on all these points!

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Zbik may lose today. He's undefeated up to this point but has had quite a few close fights that could have gone the other way. I'll be hoping for the best but he has his work cut out for him.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Yes Zbik is fighting the "House Fighter" so for him to win he needs to win about 10 rounds to 2 and clearly win the rounds for him to get the decision. I never thought I would see the day that Julio Jr would be fighting for a world belt(even a spurious one like this). This was guy who got a gift draw with a "cab driver" and had a split decision "win" against Matt Vanda. This fight could be a robbery similar to Dela Hoya-Sturm if the fight is close.
Edited by: white is right

white is right

Hall of Famer
Westside said:
I would say Chavez Jr is probably 75% Spainard where as Sergio Martinez is 100% Spainard from what I see and read.

I have a feeling Chavez will show up better than he did against Duddy, which means bad news for Zbik.
Yes Chavez is probably 75 percent or more White. He is considered White by Mexican standards. In this country probably not though.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Zbik is doing well but seems to be going to a decision and the crowd is rabidly pro-Chavez.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Also, Chavez is the HBO house fighter so I am expecting a decision for Chavez even though Zbik really is winning the fight.

j41181

Master
As expected, Chavez wins by MD, how in the world did one the judges score it 116-112???

Clearly a hometown decision.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
I scored it 116-112 for Zbik, but I knew before they announced the scores he would get robbed by Bob Arum's judges.

The referee for this fight was the crooked Jack Reiss, who also worked the Kessler-Ward fight. He warned Zbik for the slightest infraction, and sometimes he warned him for nothing. At the same time, he permitted Chavez to throw as many low blows as he wanted without saying anything.

The deck was stacked against Zbik.

But props to him, he showed great heart and fought as hard as he could, despite being hit with all those low blows, and despite knowing the Top Rank judges would favor Arum's cash cow Chavez.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I was shocked to see that Zbik outlanded Jr, by a 2 to 1 margin. While Jr. had the stronger surge late it's questionable whether he won this fight. Also for a guy around 6 feet tall leaning into an opponent 3 inches shorter is a bit absurd. It's like Luke Walton trying to emulate his pops by posting up on every 7 foot center in the NBA....
smiley36.gif

Westside

Hall of Famer
I had the fight a draw. Either could of won and I would be fine with it. Zbik is better than I expected. Great movement and fast hands. Unfortuneatley, he has the same issue that Pauli Mallenagie has, no pop in his fists. If he did he would have KO'd Chavez in the 3rd with those bueatiful punches he landed.

Chavez looked slower than his breakout fight with Duddy last year. And WTF is he coming into the ring at 180 lbs! If he doesn't establish a punishing jab, Arum and HBO will be feeding him B level fighters. But he did display a great exihibition of body shots. He should go down to 154 lbs. Or maybe Zbik is really fast and has great movement. Maybe a little of both.

All roads lead through the great Sergio Martinez who would KO both Zbik and Chavez in the same night and under 5 rounds.

Lastly, in the interviews, Chavez thanked his Mexican fans and Mexico. Zbik, graciously thanked the United States. Its America who creates an enviroment to make good money. Zbik realizes this. Chavez being brainwashed or an ingrate never bothers to thank the USA. I hope the next President seals those southern borders.

BoxingFanUK

I also had the fight a draw. Having said that, Zbik was clearly the better boxer, and landed a lot more punches, so although I scored a draw. I think Zbik is the better fighter and should have been slightly favoured in the fight.

Chavez was totally and completely outboxed. Zbik landed something like 400 punches (350 of which to the head). Thats 150 more punches than Chavez. Yes he was punching harder, and he did come on in the later rounds (round 12 an exception, I thought Zbik nicked it).

Chavez will not stay a champion for long. Pirog, Martinez, Golovkin, N'Dam (black African who Im not a fan of), Sylvester, Sturm will all KO Chavez in my opinion.

Chavez has no defense whatsoever, and he is incredibly fortunate that he was not facing a "puncher" tonight. He was given a bit of a gift with the scorecards. This fight just as easily could have gone the other way. The judges were obviously favouring Arum's fighter.

Quite frankly, I think Chavez is KO'd inside 4 rounds against Martinez or Golovkin.