season starts down under

mastermulti

Master
Just to keep up-to-date here are what the Aussie are doing in Europe over the next fortnight in preparation for Daegu

July 8: IAAF Diamond League â€" Paris (FRA)
Long jump: Mitchell Watt (23, Qld), Fabrice Lapierre (27, NSW)
Discus throw: Benn Harradine (28, Vic)

July 8: Track and Field Grand Prix â€" Dublin (IRE)
Mile: James Kaan (20, NSW), Brett Robinson (20, ACT)

July 9: Flanders Cup Meeting â€" Kortrijk (BEL)
100m: Aaron Rouge-Serret (23, Vic)
200m: Aaron Rouge-Serret (23, Vic)
400m: Ben Offereins (25, WA)
400m hurdles: Brendan Cole (30, ACT)
1500m: Mark Fountain (29, Vic)
Long jump: Robbie Crowther (23, ACT)
Triple jump: Henry Frayne (21, Qld), Kane Brigg (22, Qld)

July 10: IAAF Diamond League â€" Birmingham (GBR)
800m: Tamsyn Lewis (32, Vic)
5000m: Collis Birmingham (25, Vic), Craig Mottram (32, Vic)
100m hurdles: Sally Pearson (24, Qld)
Discus throw: Dani Samuels (23, NSW)

July 13: Vardinoyiannia â€" Rethymo (GRE)

July 13: Meeting International de la province de Liege â€" Liege (BEL)
100m: Melissa Breen (23, ACT)
3000m: David McNeill (24, Vic)

July 13: Nuoro International Athletics Meet â€" Nuoro (ITA)
800m: Ryan Gregson (21, NSW), James Kaan (20, NSW), Zoe Buckman (22, ACT)
1500m: Mark Fountain (29, Vic)
Long jump: Fabrice Lapierre (27, NSW)

July 16: KBC Night of Athletics â€" Huesden (BEL)
100m: Melissa Breen (23, ACT)
100m hurdles: Sally Pearson (24, Qld)
1500m: Craig Mottram (32, Vic), Jeremy Roff (27, NSW)
5000m: David McNeill (24, Vic)
400m hurdles: Brendan Cole (30, ACT)
Triple jump: Henry Frayne (21, Qld)
Pole vault: Alana Boyd (27, WA), Liz Parnov (17, WA)

July 17: Meeting Citta di Padova â€" Padova (ITA)
800m: Lachlan Renshaw (26, NSW)

albinosprint

Mentor
thanks for the list multi! whats going on with Sean Wroe?

Would be great to see Rouge-Serret run under 10.10 this year. Anyone have more info on him? Looks like he ran a 10.17 last year and I was wondering if he was consistently running fast times or if that was a fluke. If he goes sub 10.10 this year, he could be a potential sub 10 guy in the future!

trackster

Mentor
Thanks, Multi. My favorite Aussie runners are Gregson (he can be something special), Solomon (one of our best hopes of keeping the Wariner 400 tradition alive), Alex Rowe (part of a worldwide resurgence of young 800m guys), and the spectacular Miss Breen (who may not be world class on the track but is certainly world class in other areas).

mastermulti

Master
Soccer&track said:
Would be great to see Rouge-Serret run under 10.10 this year. Anyone have more info on him? Looks like he ran a 10.17 last year and I was wondering if he was consistently running fast times or if that was a fluke. If he goes sub 10.10 this year, he could be a potential sub 10 guy in the future!

not a fluke but he was certainly at his best with the famous Perth track wind (the " Freemantle doctor") to give him assistance. At this stage he is a 10.30 still wind runner but expects to go better this year after a minor opertion to clean up a knee joint.

mastermulti

Master
trackster said:
Thanks, Multi.  My favorite Aussie runners are Gregson (he can be something special), Solomon (one of our best hopes of keeping the Wariner 400 tradition alive), Alex Rowe (part of a worldwide resurgence of young 800m guys), and the spectacular Miss Breen (who may not be world class on the track but is certainly world class in other areas).

here's a bio on Solomon This is 2010 info from when he was 16 turning 17. Much better now and getting bigger. Around 1,86/87 and 80+ kilos, he'll be physically imposing when fully grown up
Solomon

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
MM, check the Watchlist thread.
Your young Aussie sprinters are doing well at the World Youth Championships.

mastermulti

Master
albinosprint said:
thanks for the list multi! whats going on with Sean Wroe?

can't out any articles on him since April when it was announced he was going to Daegu. I'll update when I hear something

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Steve Solomon the 17 yr old mentioned above, won the Aussie championship in 45.58.He could be the next Jeremy Wariner.Sally Pearson won the 100m, 200m, and 110m hurdles.and Mitchell Watt jumped 8.44 to win the LJ.I believe that's 27ft, 8-1/4 inches. A very long jump!
Stephen Solomon won the Aussie Championships again this year - he's still 18yrs old.His time was 45.54. Almost the exact same time as last year, but a personal best.

trackster

Mentor
Solomon is running spectacular times for his age--as he was last year. And I believe this last time was his third round of running at the meet. As much as I love our collegiate runners--Gehret, Braddy, and so forth--Solomon is well ahead of them and fast-becoming the best medal hope, despite his youth.

Interestingly, Alex Beck, another quite young Aussie, finished second behind Solomon. He's really coming on.

I'd love to see Australia do in the 4 by 400 what Arkansas and Penn State have done in the NCAA.l

On a non-Aussie related 400 note, Martyn Rooney opened his season in the 45's yesterday.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I'm very excited to see Mitchell Watt, Melissa Breen and Solomon all looking very good at the national championships. Breen even set a few new personal bests herself. I thought she would be further along at the moment but she is still young.

Two of the younger sprinters on the mens side are ones to possibly watch for the future. I would say the better bet for success would probably be the man who finished 7th place at the national champs yesterday. Mitchell Williams Swain is one to watch out for in the coming years. He has a very powerful build and might just have what it takes to eventually get to the next level. Here is a quick article on these two teammates and friends.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2012/01/14/382075_gold-coast-sport.html

Last edited:

mastermulti

Master
I came home tonight and was gutted to read ex-Aussie olympic sprinter Daniel Batman died in a car crash this morning.

With times of 100m/10.19, 200m/20.44 and 400m/45.02 the 5'7" but very muscular Daniel is ranked Aussie all time number 9 in each of the three events and number sprinter when all three events are taken into consideration

In addition his dad Paul, my age, was my main instructor when I obtained my personal trainer quals 5 years ago.
My prayers are for those remaining at such a horrible time

[url]http://www.smh.com.au/national/athlete-batman-killed-in-car-rollover-20120626-210dq.html[/URL]

mastermulti

Master
I came home tonight and was gutted to read ex-Aussie olympic sprinter Daniel Batman died in a car crash this morning.

With times of 100m/10.19, 200m/20.44 and 400m/45.02 the 5'7" but very muscular Daniel is ranked Aussie all time number 9 in each of the three events and number sprinter when all three events are taken into consideration

In addition his dad Paul, my age, was my main instructor when I obtained my personal trainer quals 5 years ago.
My prayers are for those remaining at such a horrible time

http://www.smh.com.au/national/athlete-batman-killed-in-car-rollover-20120626-210dq.html

here he is beating Jeremy Wariner over 200 a few years ago
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/mo...-remote-car-roll/story-fn7x8me2-1226409484755

Last edited:

albinosprint

Mentor
what a shame. my prays go out to his family.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
First off it's great to have you back mastermulti. I have good memories of watching Daniel Batman run. Has a really good all around sprinter and he had some of the quickest turnover I've ever seen from an Aussie. Similar to Shirvo. His ability to run multiple distances reminds me of Kevin Little and a few others. It is a unique gift that few sprinters have.

God bless him and my prayers go out to all of his family and friends.

mastermulti

Master
First off it's great to have you back mastermulti. I have good memories of watching Daniel Batman run. Has a really good all around sprinter and he had some of the quickest turnover I've ever seen from an Aussie. Similar to Shirvo. His ability to run multiple distances reminds me of Kevin Little and a few others. It is a unique gift that few sprinters have.

God bless him and my prayers go out to all of his family and friends.

interestingly, if he'd had a 100m time just 1/100 better, he and Kevin Little would score the same points all three sprints totalled- amazingly close