Ryan Bonheyo

White Power

Mentor
Found another prospect on rivals 6ft 2in and 202 lbs runs the 40 in 4.47 and get this he is deaf I beleive. Plays for the school of the deaf in Maryland, and he is being heavily recruited by Miami and Maryland. I just watched his highlights on rivals the kid reminds of Joe Martinek. He hits the hole hard and has break away speed. Definitely someone for us to keep an eye on.I wonder how many more prospects are out their that we really don't know about makes you wonder if any one besides us as a group really cares about the white athlete. One other note Ryan averaged 12.3 yards a carry last year while toting the rock that my freinds is damn impressive. Edited by: White Power

blue_mentos

His highlights are impressive, and its always special to see someone overcome some sort of a disability to succeed. his only offer so far is from townson, and they want him as a linebacker
smiley5.gif
. hopefully this isnt a sign of whats to come from the other colleges. im glad that miami and maryland are high on him, but i just cant see them wanting him for a RB. the other schools (pitt, w. virginia, and florida st.) arent all that friendly either. i just hope he thinks things through and goes to the place that he feels has the best shot of letting him run the ball.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
I am all for the white running back, but guys have we ever thought to think that maybe the kid likes linebacker more? I know it's not the reason that all white running backs are switched to linebacker, but we have to consider that some studly whites at runningback may like linebacker more.

blue_mentos

thats very true celticdb15. i was just thinking that as he averaged 12.5 yds a carry as a junior and runs a 4.4 forty, it seems like it would be a waste if he didnt at least get a chance to run. it just seems unfair that a college would only consider him as a linebacker. it would make more sense if he was recruited as an 'athlete' and after camp and talking with the coaches and coordinators, they could best decide the best use of his skills.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
I agree Blue Mentos and am not trying to nit pick ( i have noticed this with posters throughout the board). I do think white runningbacks should not automatically get slotted as linebackers for the next level without being given a fair chance. I am just saying that some players are more defensive minded even if they excelled at both positions (rb and lb) at the high school level.

White Power

Mentor
I think the fact that he is deaf best suits him to play running back in college. It's the 4th quarter your team is leading by 3 and the crowd is trying to make enough noise as to rattle the visiting team which in this case is Ryan's team. It's so loud in the stadium the players can't think straight, but Ryan can't hear a thing. He waits for the quarterback to receive the snap and promtly hits the hole and make a first down sealing the game for his team. The irony is his hadicap is now an advantage because he is immune to stadium noise. Now imagine going to Michigan in this situation 105,000 screaming fans and Ryan Bonheyo can't hear any of them beautiful just beautiful.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Plus there is more verbal communication in an LB corps than verbal cues for a RB. RBs know the plays and don't have to diagnose an offensive scheme and let his teammates know as much as RBs do, especially MLB (of course an audible could confuse him though). At RB he can let his creativity be shown more running the ball.

The kid has the measurements and stats for RB. And I agree White Power, the noise factor can rattle a defensive player, but opposing fans rarely chant against the opposing offense as hard as they chant for their own offense. But Celticdb makes a good point, some whites may prefer LB and be near as good or better at it and we may be favoring them as white RBs b/c there are so few and it is a more glamorous/fun position to watch.

blue_mentos

do you guys think that someone like the qb would have to learn to use some sort of sign language in order for someone like bonheyo to know the play called and to get him to understand an audible? im sure his whole team in hs had a slightly different form of communication than a normal team would. i would be curious to see how much of a change the team would have to implement for him.

blue_mentos

he has committed to townson to play linebacker.
smiley18.gif
not the best result we were hoping for.