Ricky Proehl

nj816

They just announced that the Colts have signed Proehl to a tentative contract. It is apparently contingent on the state of their wide receivers, but with Stokely perpetually injured, it looks like there is a good chance he can assume the third wide receiver role that was Stokely's.

Proehl could be the most resilient white player of all-time. If he was given a chance to be a number one or two receiver, he most certainly would have been going to Canton one day.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Humorous:

Proehl seeking trademark on white receiver comparisons

NEW YORK CITY, NY â€â€￾ Former NFL wide receiver Ricky Proehl had a great career. In his 17 years in the league, he caught over 650 passes for nearly 9,000 yards, scored 54 touchdowns and was a part of four teams to appear in the Super Bowl - 1999 and 2001 St. Louis Rams, 2003 Carolina Panthers, and the 2006 Indianapolis Colts - winning twice.

Now, Proehl has decided to leave another legacy. SSNN has learned that the receiver is pursuing a trademark on the evaluation of white wide receivers, to ensure that they are only compared to him and that he is compensated when such comparisons are made.

"I think I've earned it," Proehl said. "Used to be that white receivers would be compared to Steve Largent, Ed McCaffrey, Don Beebe or even Wayne Chrebet. But now that I'm retired, I think the honor should be all mine. I mean, I think everyone agrees that I'm basically the definitive white possession receiver."

The trademark Proehl is seeking would be similar to the one that current Miami Heat coach Pat Riley acquired when he was coaching the Los Angeles Lakers and coined the term "three-peat."

However, there are critics who say that the trademark is inappropriate - the absurdity of the idea aside - because not all white wide receivers are "possession receivers," which carries with it the insinuation of being slow-footed.

"Of course, not all white receivers are slow, but the media doesn't care about that," Proehl pointed out. "Even if a fast player like Matt Jones or Kevin Curtis is catching passes, they still compare them to me, so I feel I'm owed something. Maybe I could even become a verb; like if a white guy makes a tough catch over the middle, Madden could say, 'What a Proehl by [Chicago Bears backup WR] Mike Hass. Bam!' Or maybe we should call it a Ricky - either one is really fine with me."

Despite his commitment and apparent confidence, most inside the sports industry do not believe that Proehl will be successful in his quest.

"There's no way he's getting that trademark," said one television executive, who spoke with SSNN on the condition of anonymity. "Nor do we want him to. Our announcers are under explicit instructions to mix it up a bit when comparing white receivers to their predecessors. They're all the same type of player, but variety is essential - compare one to Steve Largent, one to Don Beebe and another to Ed McCaffrey. It's always been the rule - even with a guy like Tim Dwight. It's not that we don't respect Ricky, but there's a well-established hierarchy here, and I see no reason to rock the boat."

[url]http://www.serioussportsnewsnetwork.com/2008/03/proehl-seeki ng-trademark-on-white-receiver-comparisons.html [/url]

guest301

Hall of Famer
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

G

Out of all the times Ive read posts about Jeff Samardjia none of you ever recognised that he was great after the catch. Unlike Ricky Proehl.

guest301

Hall of Famer
I always thought that Jeff Samardijia was great after the catch and he didn't have a bigger supporter on this site than me. Still wished he had chosen football but baseball was for him personally the best option, money and career longevity anyway.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Proehl was good after the catch, not as good as jeff but not a reason to put one player down to prop up another. I would have loved to see Jeff go to the NFL to see how his skills translated, he reminds me a bit of Cooper, who is big and fast, and also quick, but Jeff was quicker and more polished as a route runner, although Cooper has improved during his racial apprenticeship

I was trying to look up Proehl highlights and came across this:

[video=youtube;n-Qhg874mnU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Qhg874mnU[/video]

look at him fly, pretty fast for a "possession receiver". I don't think Proehl gets alot of credit, even on here. He played less than half the snaps for pretty much every year he played and still put up decent numbers, some number 2 receivers don't put up some of the yards he had as a 4th receiver.

He has a son who I think is committed to UNC next year, Austin.