RB -- Shane McCullen

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
The Latest: Shane McCullen waiting for first offer â€â€￾ 2/28/2008

He has pure speed and athleticism, so what's the problem?

I hope a White-friendly D1 program steps up and grabs this talented athlete.

Stonewall

Guru
Deadlift, do you know the level of interest he has received from the schools listed on the link? I noticed Florida and a number of Pac 10 schools were listed.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure, but I found some nice information about him.

The National Underclassmen Combine hit the Los Angeles area on Easter, and drew 190 athletes, which is a single session high for the Combine. Overall over 300 players participated during the day, which turned out to be one of the best combines thus far. Leading the charge in the morning session was sophomore RB Shane McCullen, who was named the Overall MVP and also received the Fastest Man Award.

McCullen, 6-foot-1 ½ and 188-pounds, who is from Apache Junction High School in Arizona, was also a participant at the Ultimate 100 Camp as a freshman. Throughout the event he showcased his fantastic athleticism and impressive stature, and he proved all of this during the combine events with a 35-inch vertical, 4.47 40, 4.44 shuttle, and 22 reps at 150-pounds. He also had an amazing 10'3.5" broad jump, which was a Combine record until it was broken in the afternoon session.

[url]http://www.nationalunderclassmen.com/schumansromania/wwwroot /westcoastmorning.htm[/url]

There's a picture of him with his trophy at the above link.

I believe they gave him good praise because he's a very good athlete, and, not simply to hype up their Combine.

Here's his (basically empty) Scout link:

http://hsarizona.scout.com/a.z?s=222&p=8&c=1&nid=3150600

Edited by: Deadlift

johnnyboy

Guru
you gotta feel for this kid. there's just no other way to explain it, the caste system is robbing this kid of his football dream.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
He grabs his 1st offer from Army.

Here's hoping for some more schools to step up.

Mike

Guru
Expect some more programs to offer within the next week.

Shane ran a 4.35/40, 4.10 shuttle, put up a 34.5 vert, and a 9'7 broad jump at the Phoenix Scout/UA Combine.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
No utah sausan shakerin is already there

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
celticdb15 said:
No utah sausan shakerin is already there

What do you mean?

A white 1-2 punch at RB would be great.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Yes Colonel Reb, a white 1-2 punch would be nice. Do you think Utah would allow that though? Edited by: celticdb15

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Probably not too uncommon among those Mountain-West conference schools and the like. They're relatively white friendly. Perhaps in another conference this would be strange, but with the minimal TV time allotted to schools like Utah, Utah State, Air Force, Montana, etc. it won't really be a major point of attention.

Long story short, why not?
smiley2.gif

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Yeah, but Shakerin and McCullen are both the same kind of large cut back north-south runner. I would have much prefered Cory McCaffrey as the #2 change of pace scat back behind Shakerin. Instead McCaffrey is stuck in Division IAA Portland State.
smiley11.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I think Utah would allow it, but they will have to prove themselves worthy of starting. They won't be handed the job. I think the Utes would be a good fit for both players. Utah is one of the least anti-white teams in the country. If it can't happen there, we might as well wish every white back to go to different schools (which more than likely won't be as friendly towards them being a RB) and fight for playing time at RB with 5-6 blacks. To me, that doesn't make a lot of sense.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Do you guys think that air force is too small time for mccullen? I think he would get to display his skills either as a running back or a slot guy right away.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Air Force might be a good fit for him, I don't know. The Falcons are in the Mountain West Conference with BYU and Utah, so I wouldn't consider it too small time for him. Air Force is a fun team to watch and I think they could use his talents. It would be great to see another ultra-fast white back tearing it up at Air Force. The MWC now has a national TV deal with DirecTV and possibly Dish Network now. They were the first conference to have a TV deal, but weren't able to take care of the national satellite negotiations for a year after they started. The Mountain, as the network is called, has been on since the 2006 season within the intermountain west.

Mike

Guru
Shane commited to Arizona State today...as a safety. Edited by: Mike

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Best of luck to Shane as he can be a big play guy at the safety spot as well.Edited by: celticdb15

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
This kid started off as a nobody in the recruiting circuit and like that offers popped up from some big time schools i think he ended with 9 or 10 d-1 scholarships, impressive marketing. He put out his skills and it paid off for him.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Shane ran a 4.35 30 yard dash, a 4.10 short shuttle also posting a 34.5 inch vertical at the Scout.com Combine. This guy has fabulous measurables and production at RB, yet they are going to move him to safety. Shane would just need to add a little weight for RB. I would have hoped he would have chosen Washington State, they are more white friendly.