Question for MMA fans?

guest301

Hall of Famer
I came up with this question from reading the Forrest Griffin thread.
I think that one punch knockout power whether in boxing or MMA seems to be largely something you are born with. For a guy like Forrest Griffin who is already in shape but seemingly lacks one punch knockout power unless he hits you perfectly, what exercises or training can he do to improve power in his punches and kicks? Has he likely maxed out on any kinda improvement in that area? I know there are somethings you can do in training to increase the bone density and hardness in your fists, would that be the answer?

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Mastering striking fundementals first & foremost then getting reps in on the mits, bags, etc. I love training with the heavy bags (working hooks, elbows, knees, etc.). Striking power is great (in the cage & streets), but accuracy, speed and quickness are key as well. As for street fights/defense...I'd advise leveraging eye gouges/strikes, throat/trachea strikes, headbutts & knees/kicks to the nardz. The MMA "illegal" stuff should be priority for use in self-defense.

guest301

Hall of Famer
DixieDestroyer said:
Mastering striking fundementals first & foremost then getting reps in on the mits, bags, etc. I love training with the heavy bags (working hooks, elbows, knees, etc.). Striking power is great (in the cage & streets), but accuracy, speed and quickness are key as well. As for street fights/defense...I'd advise leveraging eye gouges/strikes, throat/trachea strikes, headbutts & knees/kicks to the nardz. The MMA "illegal" stuff should be priority for use in self-defense.

Thanks Dixie for the info. Guys with one punch knokout power like Rashad Evans are very fortunate because he was getting beat on points by both Liddell and Griffin before he knocked them down. Knockout power is the great equalizer especially when you may be lacking in other skills. You mentioned headbutts, "24" star Keifer Sutherland headbutted some dude a few days ago for saying something bad to his friend Brooke Shields and was arrested for it.I guess he truly is Jack Bauer 24 hours a day!

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Headbutts are great for close-quarters. My street defense combines a quasi-mix of Muay Thai, Krav Maga & Judo throws (when in the clinch). I tried to avoid going to the ground in a street brawl, but if goes there...I'm a purple belt in BJJ & have some freestyle & catch wrestling "101". Krav Maga is good for weapons defense & multiple opponents but MTKB is my "bread & butter".That being said, I steer clear of brawls these days, but keep myself prepared (if necessary). Of course, I stay "heeled" at times as well, but hope to avoid run-in's whenever I can.
smiley2.gif

Punchers are born, not made....It's kinda like a baseball player who can throw a baseball 100mph..some can, most can't..Doesn't matter how big or muscular or someone's training method, doesn't mean they can throw a baseball 100mph...

Now, I think you can improve on what God gave You...With technique & training, etc. But doesn't mean one is gonna be a knockout artist all of a sudden..

I grew up in Cali & Ohio...Grew up working on farms in Ohio...Loading & un-loading bails of hay all day long until my hands were covered in blood(Throwing hay bails up on trucks, then onto lofts)...That's Yrs of throwing heavy hay bails around....Also my dad worked part time for a lumber jack company...So I also spent yrs helping chop down trees as well as chopping up trees...That's yrs of power swinging an axe into trees...Point is, I believe that yrs of this type of explosive training has most definitely developed alot of one punch punching power for me....I always had tons of punching power & I feel this is where it came from, I've never had a problem knocking anyone out, regardless of how big they are....

I still believe that old school training methods like these are better than weight training or a lot of gym training or at least one should implement this type of training....Lots of fighters, both MMA & Boxing do...

It's old fashioned John Wayne GRIT!!!

guest301

Hall of Famer
Nothing wrong with the Duke!!