Pulled Calf Muscle

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I was playing tennis last night and pulled or tore a muscle in my right calf. I was stretching for a ball a bit but nothing out of the ordinary. Just felt sudden pain, which quickly got worse. Walking isn't possible because of the pain, I just hobble around as best I can.

I'm icing it down periodically. A friend said to lay in the tub with Epsom salts once a day. Trying to "walk" as little as possible and keep the leg elevated as much as possible. Anyone else ever had this happen? Any suggestions to treat it?Edited by: Don Wassall

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Epsom salt is excellent for any kind of strain or pull. I always used it for sprained ankles I had from playing basketball and it actually helped for torn ligaments I had in my back. Another good thing to do is take Advil. It's much better than Tylenol for any kind of strain or pull because it's also anti-inflammatory. Massage it a few times a day as well to help with circulation and speed healing.
Edited by: whiteathlete33

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I hate to hear about that Don. Everything you are doing already, plus what whiteathlete33 said is all I know to do. Its just going to take a while to heal.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, guys. Guess I just have to patient with it. . . but it's like being sick, I hate it.
smiley1.gif

Westside

Hall of Famer
Don, I have had both lower back strain and pulled calf muscle strain. The good thing is calf muscle strains heal faster that lower back strains. I had one about three years ago. I could no longer run and had to walk like a gimp for about two months. I finally healed after about four or five months. I would advise getting your cardio on a stationary bike until it heals.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Westside said:
Don, I have had both lower back strain and pulled calf muscle strain. The good thing is calf muscle strains heal faster that lower back strains. I had one about three years ago. I could no longer run and had to walk like a gimp for about two months. I finally healed after about four or five months. I would advise getting your cardio on a stationary bike until it heals.

It took four or five months for your calf muscle to heal, or for your lower back to heal? My calf is about 80-90 percent healed, but the last 10-20 percent is taking its good old time. It's frustrating because I like to run but can't. Maybe I'll have to get a bike or a treadmill if it's going to be months before it completely heals.

Westside

Hall of Famer
My calf muscle to heal.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I've had calf cramps many a'times, but never strained or pulled it. However, last year I was racing my kids at the park & pulled a hamstring.
smiley9.gif
That was the first time I'd ever pulled a muscle real bad. It hurt bad at first, but healed pretty quickly. I sprained my ankle two times (playing hoops) & had "jumper's knee" (tendonitis) in HS. I iced my ankle & knee, took ibuprofen & stayed off it a while.

Alpha Male

Mentor
I wish I saw this post earlier. I too pulled my calf (Level 2) late October while preparing for the indoor short sprint season. I used RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation), but also Traumeel, which is a homeopathicanti-inflammatory (pill and cream). I then went to an acupuncturist and masseuse to bring some blood there.Taking a jump rope or stretching cord and doing some AIS (active isolate stretching â€" loop rope below toes and gently pull back to further stretch the calf) in the sauna helpsrestore range of motion. It's a little late now but I hope some of that helps. It's damn painful injury!<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>Edited by: Alpha Male

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It took about two and a half weeks for mine to heal.