Preparing for a dark 2011

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
I completely forgot about Burkhead, DiLuigi and Gaffney. Not to mention Mike Trumpy could have a breakout year in the Big Ten at Northwestern.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
WhiteCB...I think a lot of people on the forum see the black QB phenomenon as hijacking the position from white QBs. There is some reason to worry but hopefully things have leveled off.

snow

Mentor
Its actually one of the best years that I can think of now that I am thinking about it, just like you forgot about Burkhead, DiLuigi and Gaffney, I completely forgot about Mike Trumpy, even more white backs to root for. At this point ,reading about Northwestern the RB job is Mike Trumpy's. Adonis Smith is his only real competition, and hasn't shown much. Smith is small and hasn't shown any breakaway speed. Jacob Schmidt (white) is listed as number 2 ahead of Smith. Trumpy's last game he had an 80 yard run against Illinois, he finally started adjusting to the college level before breaking his wrist. Northwestern could be the funnest team to watch next year with Dan Persa, Mike Trumpy, Jeremy Ebert and hopefully a breakout season by Drake Dunsmore.

According to the previews, Northwestern has no "affleticism" at runningback. They have Trumpy, Schmidt and even Scott Concannon who has shown some potential. I fully expect Trumpy to start and break the 1k mark.

I don't know how many whites they will have all together but it would be fun to see them win the big 10 with Persa, Trumpy and Ebert. Trumpy had 530 yards rushing in 10 games as a freshman so I don't see why he couldn't break the 1k mark unless they find some true freshman "afflete" to give the ball to. I remember being pysched about Trumpy when he came out of high school. I remember thinking he was on the same level as Burkhead and Wegher coming out.

The last few years each national championship has had some great white athletes at "black" positions. Last year was Maehl with Oregon at WR, although they lost he still had a great game, they also had a white defensive tackle and linebacker. The year before had Shipley for UT, who was the main reason why they still had a chance to win the game in the 4th, I think they wouldve won if McCoy was playing. They also had white safety Blake Gideon. The year before that was Tebow, the best player in college football history, a dual threat qb that ran all over the SEC, and the year before that was Jacob Hester for LSU with Steltz at S as well as a white linebacker. Sadly that considered white friendly defense in the SEC. You think they wouldve learned the winning formula. The year before that Tebow was the star of UF, although he wasn't the starter, he led the team in rushing.

Sure there were two black quarterbacks in last year's national championship game, but does anyone remember either of them having great games? I know Newton didn't pass for that many yards and didn't have any impressive runs. Thomas had negative yards running, had a good deal of passing yards, but most seem to come after the catch, Maehl with 133 of those, and I think the backs had at least 50 yards. I just remember a bunch of short passes with yards coming after the catch. He threw 2 interceptions along with his 2 tds, and Newton had 1 interception along with his 2 tds. Neither team was supposed to be dominant on defense, it was supposed to be a high scoring game but it was 22-19.
</span>
Edited by: snow

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
We're only about 1 month-1 1/2 months away from starting the in-depth 2011 previews, so we'll figure this question out in time.

I've been looking at some teams' depth charts and other spring ball news, and I'm fairly sure the Big 10 will once again be the whitest BCS conference. Northwestern, Nebraska, and Wisconsin should all have somewhere between 12-14 white starters this year from what I've gathered. Iowa should have around 11, and Penn State and Indiana could have anywhere from 7-10. Now, those numbers will most definatly change, but I think they'll be in those ranges. I'm going to try and look at the SEC next, but what is there to look at? The "bright spot" is Tennessee looks like it will actually be starting two white LB's this year, but other than that it's only QB Tyler Bray and "FB" Channing Fugate.

One guy at RB you forgot about is Kansas' Brandon Bourbon. I think if he gets the ball this year, he's going to excite the Jayhawk fans.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Jack Lambert said:
One guy at RB you forgot about is Kansas' Brandon Bourbon. I think if he gets the ball this year, he's going to excite the Jayhawk fans.
Do you know if Brandon was red shirted last season? I expected him to play last season on that awful team and was disappointed he did not. If he red shirted then I won't mind.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
I know some have all but forgotten about North Caroilna's Hunter Furr, but would like to update everyone. Hehad 7 carries in the spring game for a disappointing 11 yds. Still a junior, remember, he ran and won The Nike Outdoor Nationals 100m in high school with a time of 10.49 and has run 40's in the 4.3 range. I don't think Burkhead, McGuffie, or any other RB had that kind of speed coming out of high school. I know, I know, maybe he should have went out west, agreed, butI won't give up on him until he decides to end his football career.He had the most carries other than, get this, white walk-on RB Matt Kolojejchick, 7 carries 28yds.
Don't know much about this kid, I think he transfered from Rhode Island. Does anyone else know anything on him?

InSouth Carolina,Wofford's Eric Breitenstein had 1639 yds. on 260 carries as a junior, look for him to get close to 2,000 yds. if he gets just a little more carries!

Riddlewire

Master
Carolina Speed said:
I know some have all but forgotten about North Caroilna's Hunter Furr...

No one has forgotten Hunter.
There's simply no reason to mention his tragic case until there are significant developments. A few 'garbage time' carries in a Spring Game have zero meaning. Is Butch still the head coach? Yes. So Hunter will not be playing this season.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Freethinker said:
Jack Lambert said:
Do you know if Brandon was red shirted last season? I expected him to play last season on that awful team and was disappointed he did not. If he red shirted then I won't mind.
Bourbon redshirted his freshman year, as can be seen on his bio here. It would have been nice to have him get the playing time as a freshman, instead Kansas used fellow freshman James Sims as the starter for the most part.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
I disagree Riddlwire, the best way to learn, is to never forget. Ifhis case does indeed turn out to be tragic, maybe someone else will learn from a mistake.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
FootballDad said:
Freethinker said:
Jack Lambert said:
<div></div>Bourbon redshirted his freshman year, as can be seen on his bio here.  It would have been nice to have him get the playing time as a freshman, instead Kansas used fellow freshman James Sims as the starter for the most part.
Thank you. I really believe he might be the best talent of all the college guys we've got. He is a freak combination of speed and strength. Let's hope his black coach gives him a fair shake.

snow

Mentor
McGuffie had 4.32 speed at the Nike Combine, with 3.83 shuttle speed, which would up him the top ten of all time at the NFL combine. I think Kevin Kasper had the fastest at 3.73. Dante Hall is 5th all time at 3.82. That kind of 40 with that kind of shuttle is ridiculous. The guy could literally excel at any skill position if they put him there, rb/wr or even cornerback. McGuffie has the most potential out of the bunch. He finally learned to bulk up and get some power but is on a crappy team. I wish he would have went to TCU or something. Rice has NO offense. I mean he can't get into a rythym because there is none for the offense. No consistency with the schemes, the blocking schemes as well. What are they? wildcat option? airraid? it changes up every series, Im amazed he got the production he did last year with that team. He did have 1267 yards from scrimmage, 800 of them rushing and 9 total tds. He is the type that can get 2,000 yards from scrimmage though and put up the numbers Matt Forte had his last year, or Barry Sanders. He still has a few years of eligibility left to live up to his potential. Lets just hope Rice figures out how to play offense
Edited by: snow

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
I just watched the "highlights" of the Spring Games.. black quarterbacks threw a bunch of picks!

--Ole Jacory and Stephen Morris are at it again.. a classic deadly pair.

--Barry Brunetti threw 2-picks

--Jordan Jefferson (some days ago) and E.J. Manuel had subpar games.

etc..

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
I was watching the Arkansas spring game today for a little bit on ESPN, and noticed the team that had a black quarterback starting was getting pounded by Tyler Wilson's squad.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
From watching and reading about college football spring games and position battles going on around the country.

Watch out for Indiana RB Matt Perez. He's currently listed second on the depth chart. The announcers at IU's spring game said today he's got potential, and is quick and elusive. With IU looking to run a hurry up offense this year, I bet he'll see a lot of work.

LB Jake Holland looks to be the leading candidate to start at MLB this year for the defending national champion Tigers. Other contributors for Auburn's defense are DE's Craig Sanders and Joel Bonomolo.

Keith Nichol looks to have a good chance to win a starting WR job at Michigan State.

Nebraska RB Ty Kildow looks to be the front runner for the 'Huskers second RB job as of right now, but that could change when several highly touted RBs arrive in the fall.

Walk-on RS Freshman LB Trevor Roach has had a great spring for Nebraska, and will be in contention for playing time this fall.

Butch Davis is trying his hardest to ignore Hunter Furr, but he might play him out of necessity since he's one of only two healthy RBs on the roster right now.

Florida State DE Bjoern Werner is going to be a beast this year.

I looked at Colorado's depth chart, and right now, they have a white corner tandem starting in Arthur Jaffe and Parker Orms! This probably won't hold up, but hopefully it will.

The SEC will likely be as dark as ever again this year, especially South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, and LSU. Not that any of the other teams will be much better though.

Clemson will likely only have 1-3 white starters.

Wisconsin WR Jared Abberederis could be the go-to-guy for the Badgers this year.

Just some things I've noticed over the past few days.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Hey Jack Lambert, have posted about Hunter Furr several times, lets hope he gets a ligitimate shot this year. There's another white RB at UNC, who got alot of carries in the spring game. His name is Matt Kolojejchick. Don't know much about him other than he transferred from Rhode Island, I think, thought someone might know something else about him?

Has anyone seen Andrew Hendrix play? Hes a true dual threat QB for Notre Dame. He's only a freshman now, but I think he can really take the country by storm in a couple of seasons. Hes an amazing runner and a great passer. I see a Heisman in his future.

Carolina Speed,<div>
</div><div>I couldn't find anything about Matt Kolojejchick online except that he was a swimming champion in high school. He doesn't have any footage on youtube and I couldn't find any of his stats from when he was at Rhode Island. I guess we will have to wait to find out more about him.</span></div>

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Only a handful of black quarterbacks are succeeding, but this thread appears to be partially correct..

A combination of artificially black "Ds" and atrocious "coaching" has made a total mockery of college football. Black receivers' have taken advantage of this more than black running backs.

"Preparing for a dark 2011" - indeed...