Post Fight Comments: Peter/Maskaev

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Article posted on eastsideboxing.com:

photo by David Martin Warr/DKP - Samuel Peter: "I hit him [Maskaev] with one and I him with another. Then I crack him up. My jab was good and then I him in the head and break off his head. I knew he was strong so I was careful. I feel great. I could fight again tomorrow. I'm ready for anyone."

Oleg Maskaev: "He [Peter] didn't knock me out. He shook me and knocked me back and the referee did the right thing. He was hitting me with two many punches. I hurt him a few times, yes, but I wasn't able to finish him.

"I can't blame anybody. It was my fault. My trainers did a good job and I failed tonight.

"I will be back. My team and I will talk and if they want to make a few more fights we can do it.."

Maple Leaf

Mentor
I wrote earlier that Maskaev did not look bad when he lost and that Maskaev had Peter hurt. These short quotes tell us some interesting things about Peter: he does not hit as hard as the HBO crew thinks (judging by the number of clean punches Oleg took at the end), and he it may not take too much to knock him out (judging by the few times Maskaev hit him and hurt him). Peter may have one or two mandatories before he fights another Klitschko. Peter has his work cut out for him.