Peyton Hillis

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Hey snow, I do worry about the defenses Hillis will face twice a year though. Cincinnati, but especially Pittsburgh and Baltimore are tough run defenses.

Well, then again- Hillis had his 129 yard, 5.9 YPC performance against the Jets- who were the top rush defense in the league going into that game, before dropping to 7th by season's end if I recall (according to an article on Bleacher report). The Browns' o-line moves pretty well and is athletic. Hillis may benefit from a moving o-line, b/c he is a bit of a pick and slide (cut) guy.

Me and you are almost on the exact same page with the Terrell Davis and Hillis comparisons. I like Hillis' X-Y agility and power a bit better- and their speed and burst are pretty equal. Davis has slightly better X-Z agility and footwork. Hillis jumps very well for his size and both of these guys can catch the ball well. Hillis is bigger framed, but they are similar type players overall.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
I agree with your comparison assessment, however I think that Hillis is playing at a higher weight than would be optimal. Even in college at Arkansas he had to bulk up to block for McFadden and Jones. I really think that if it were possible for Hillis to play at a natural weight of 225-230 he would be better even at X-Z agility than just about any other power back of even close to similar size/weight.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
<H1 =featured_line>Browns notes: Hillis makes play for starting role</H1>
<DIV ="author vcard">
<DIV ="author vcard">By Steve Doerschuk
<DIV ="source-org vcard">CantonRep.com staff writer
<DIV ="tease_timestamp published" title=2010-08-31T00:42:32Z>Posted Aug 31, 2010 @ 12:42 AM
<DIV ="m10t cleafix">
<DIV ="_l m5r dateline">BEREA â€"
<DIV =entry->

In Denver, he turned into the invisible man.

In Cleveland, might Peyton Hillis' place be in the starting lineup?

For now, it is only clear that big back Hillis is being test driven quite a bit with the "ones,"Â￾ and that he injects a certain attitude with his comin'-through blasts.

The 6-foot-2, 235-pound Hillis leads the Browns in rushing yards with 80, in receptions with nine and in receiving yards with 86.

He trails Jerome Harrison in rushing attempts, 23-21. Harrison has gained 8 fewer yards, and has had fumble trouble.

Hillis is taking a straight-forward approach.

"My game's pretty much downhill,"Â￾ he says. "Whenever my name is called, I'm gonna make plays."Â￾

Hillis seems to have settled in comfortably after getting phased out of the 2009 rotation in Denver, where the Broncos broke in first-round draft pick Knowshon Moreno.

"You hear it a lot ... you can't do this, you can't do that,"Â￾ Hillis said. "I like to override that train of thought.

"I'm very blessed to be with a team that wants me to be here, and wants me to do good things. I thank the good Lord every night when I get on my knees."Â￾

Quarterback Jake Delhomme's comfort level with Hillis seems on the rise.

"Obviously, you can see he's very talented,"Â￾ Delhomme said. "He runs with power behind his pads. That's evident.

"The guy really makes some good catches and he goes downhill. He's another wea-pon."Â￾

Hillis, Harrison and rookie Montario Hardesty all are vying for roles. One might be the odd man out, and for now it might be Hardesty, since he missed training camp and returned to practice only recently.

The emergence of Hillis has meant a lot less work for 2009 Round 6 pick James Davis.

As a rookie, Davis turned 24 preseason carries into 186 yards. He had a big game against Detroit, 12 carries for 116 yards, the big one being an 81-yarder for a touchdown.

Through three games this summer, Davis has carried just 11 times, gaining 37 yards.

He has gotten a fair amount of work as a receiver, catching six passes for 45 yards. He had seven catches for 44 yards in the '09 preseason.

Davis still seems a good bet to survive Saturday's cutdown to a 53-man roster. Some of his teammates regard him as the fastest player on the offense.

"Those will be some tough decisions,"Â￾ Eric Mangini said.
http://www.cantonrep.com/browns/x833263656/Browns-notes-Hillis-makes-play-for-starting-role

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
That's a good point FootballDad. If Hillis lost 20-25 lbs. whose to say he couldn't "swivel" like Davis. I agree that he'd be one of the better twist, turn, swerve, juke and jive powerbacks in the league at that size. He might even run like a taller Emmitt Smith if he dropped 20 or 25 pounds. However, since Hillis is 250 lbs. or so, his X-Z agility is very average, even for a powerback, but in every other area- he still has freakish ability other than top end speed or burst.

Even with burst, he is probably above average for backs in the NFL believe it or not and not just for powerbacks.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I'm so happy for Peyton. Why the hell couldn't Josh McDaniels see the talent this kid has? It's like he had pure hatred towards him. He never gave him a shot. I would have loved to have seen Tebow handing off to Hillis. I will be a Browns Fan this year if he plays alot. I have always hated the Browns but no longer. Bring on the Dog Pound.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Yes! Hardesty was injured all of training camp then immediately gets injured again the first time he plays. Though it doesn't lessen any of the manlove thepencil-necked geeksat Weenieworld have for him:

Montario Hardesty left Thursday's preseason finale in the second quarter with a left knee injury. Hardesty, who looked terrific with 25 yards and a touchdown on seven totes before the injury, was able to walk off the field and into the locker room under his own power. While any injury is a concern for a player with as checkered a history as Hardesty's, the good news is that this is not the same knee that's troubled him all camp. His previous injury was to his right knee. In the game, Hardesty displayed impressive quickness and power between the tackles. He started, playing ahead of James Davis and Chris Jennings.

TwentyTwo

Master
Hardesty looked terrific with 25 yards on 7 carries?? If Gerhart had those samestats they would say he struggled...pencil-neck geeks; could not have said it better! Hardesty is injury prone.

foobar75

Master
Don Wassall said:
Yes!  Hardesty was injured all of training camp then immediately gets injured again the first time he plays.  Though it doesn't lessen any of the manlove the pencil-necked geeks at Weenieworld have for him:
<div> </div>
<div>Montario Hardesty left Thursday's preseason finale in the second quarter with a left knee injury. Hardesty, who looked terrific with 25 yards and a touchdown on seven totes before the injury, was able to walk off the field and into the locker room under his own power. While any injury is a concern for a player with as checkered a history as Hardesty's, the good news is that this is not the same knee that's troubled him all camp. His previous injury was to his right knee. In the game, Hardesty displayed impressive quickness and power between the tackles. He started, playing ahead of James Davis and Chris Jennings. </div>

Let's assume for a moment that Hardesty is white. The blurb would read as follows:

Montario Hardesty left Thursday's preseason finale in the second quarter with a left knee injury. Hardesty, who looked very average and struggled with 25 yards and a touchdown on seven totes before the injury, with a measly 3.6 ypc, was able to walk off the field and into the locker room under his own power. While any injury is a concern for a player with as checkered a history as Hardesty's, the bad news is that this is not the same knee that's troubled him all camp. His previous injury was to his right knee, so now you have a player with two potentially bum knees.

In the game, Hardesty displayed impressive quickness and power between the tackles, however, it must be noted that he was mostly going against 2nd and 3rd string defenders, so his performance needs to be kept in proper context. We're not sure why he started, playing ahead of James Davis and Chris Jennings, but we believe he should be cut to make room for someone with more athleticism and upside instead of taking up a valuable roster spot.
Edited by: foobar75

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
foobar75 said:
Let's assume for a moment that Hardesty is white. The blurb would read as follows:

Montario Hardesty left Thursday's preseason finale in the second quarter with a left knee injury. Hardesty, who looked very average and struggled with 25 yards and a touchdown on seven totes before the injury, with a measly 3.6 ypc, was able to walk off the field and into the locker room under his own power. While any injury is a concern for a player with as checkered a history as Hardesty's, the bad news is that this is not the same knee that's troubled him all camp. His previous injury was to his right knee, so now you have a player with two potentially bum knees.

In the game, Hardesty displayed impressive quickness and power between the tackles, however, it must be noted that he was mostly going against 2nd and 3rd string defenders, so his performance needs to be kept in proper context. We're not sure why he started, playing ahead of James Davis and Chris Jennings, but we believe he should be cut to make room for someone with more athleticism and upside instead of taking up a valuable roster spot.

Dude, you nailed it! Hilarious.

Rise

Guru
[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

smiley32.gif
smiley36.gif

backrow

Hall of Famer
looks like Hardesty has a torn ACL, out for a season, according to an initial report. that leaves Peyton as number 2 back and clear favorite for goal line carries and probably third down because of his superor blocking and receiving ability to Davis and Harrison

backrow

Hall of Famer
yeah, it's been confirmed. he's out. now it's Peyton's job to win from Harrison!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good stuff, foobar! I must admit I'm thrilled at this news of Hardesty's lack of durability! I hope Peyton makes the most of whatever opportunities he gets. It will be nice to see him run the ball again!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Hardesty and Ben Tate, the guy the Texans drafted in the second round when they chickened out on taking Gerhart, both blew out their knees and are out for the season! I'll state it again, blacks are getting noticeably more fragile and injury prone in the NFL the past few seasons. And this is great news for Hillis. Wherever Peyton goes, black RBs collapse like bowling pins in front of him.
smiley17.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
You are definitely correct about the black talent pool shrinking, Don. These examples help prove it. We are told these are the best athletes available, but the injuries pile up so fast they have to stack em like cordwood? No way!

There is another way to look at it. Maybe Hillis' talent intimidates these afroleaks to the point where they are hurting themselves trying to stay ahead of him. Either way, I'm happy!
smiley36.gif

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
TwentyTwo said:
Hardesty looked terrific with 25 yards on 7 carries?? If Gerhart had those same stats they would say he struggled...pencil-neck geeks; could not have said it better! Hardesty is injury prone.

What Afrolete in the last twenty years is not injury prone?Must be something in the Purple Drank that makes their bones weak.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
From Rotowire:

Sep 3 With Montario Hardesty reportedly having suffered a torn ACL, Hillis could be in line for an expanded workload in the Browns' backfield.

Recommendation: Jerome Harrison figures to get an opportunity to handle the bulk of the workload out of the gate, but Hillis could be called upon in a change-of-pace role and/or in close in order to avoid overly taxing Harrison. In any case, add Hillis to the list of backs who are a break away from significant playing time and thus worthy of a late-round dart.

White Noise, good one lol. Could be something in the sizzurp/urban concoctions they drank.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
You are definitely correct about the black talent pool shrinking, Don. These examples help prove it. We are told these are the best athletes available, but the injuries pile up so fast they have to stack em like cordwood? No way! There is another way to look at it. Maybe Hillis' talent intimidates these afroleaks to the point where they are hurting themselves trying to stay ahead of him. Either way, I'm happy! 
smiley36.gif

I'm simply happy for Hillis' chance. More white players have gotten chances at WR in recent years- and the trend seems to be moving toward white RBs just a little. Unfortunately, white backs rarely get any carries unless a black player gets suspended or gets hurt, but more have gotten pre-season carries and are still on rosters this year than last at this time. I hope- for Hardesty's sake- that he gets healthy from this serious injury by next season. However, I think that Hillis will dominate so much this season, splitting carries, that the Browns will have no reason to give Hardesty carries next year. If Hillis gets a whole season of work looking GREAT, the Browns make the playoffs and the fans love Hillis, I'm pretty sure Hillis will be a featured part of the Brown's offense next year too!

JReb1

Mentor
I will be thrilled if Hillis gets enough carries to out-rush, receive and score more than Moreno. Let's see McDaniels explain why he kept Peyton on the bench last year when this happens...
smiley4.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Eminem would probably just feign ignorance of Hillis' prodigious talent. I'm really happy for Peyton. The kid was treated horribly by Nutt hugger at Arkansas, and by hip-hop at Denver. Its nice to see him get what looks like a decent chance to shine.

foobar75

Master
I don't want to jinx anything, but the stars are clearly aligning for Hillis to do well this year. Maybe Karma is going to come thru and make up for that forgotten season last year when he ended up in Eminem's dog house for no reason.

I hope he stays injury free and plays all 16 games and breaks the 1000 yard barrier, so we don't have keep hearing how it's been a quarter century since Craig James, the last white running back, pulled it off.

Just making some conservative estimates, all he needs is about 15 carries a game, and if he averages 4.5-5ypc, he'll easily go over 1000. Given the current situtation in CLE, this is highly possible. Edited by: foobar75

backrow

Hall of Famer
from rotoworld:

With RB Montario Hardesty lost for the season, Browns RB Peyton Hillis could be seeing a large increase in carries.

Hillis is expected to serve as the backup to Jerome Harrison, though it remains to be seen how Harrison, Hillis, and James Davis spilt carries. It's a situation to monitor closely. Keep in mind that Hillis was already in line to receive red zone touches, so Hardesty's injury sets Hillis up to be a nice in-season waiver pickup, especially if Harrison is gets injured.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
<H1 style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: left; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; : transparent; COLOR: #000000; OVERFLOW: ; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none" id=articleTitle =articleTitle>Peyton Hillis still hot topic for Broncos fans</H1>
<DIV style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: left; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; : transparent; COLOR: #000000; OVERFLOW: ; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none">

Welcome back. Today's question comes from Pat Gittings:

Q: Getting rid of Peyton Hillis looks like a really big bonehead move now, doesn't it?

A: Pat, no player in recent seasons has stirred the kind of emotional response from folks in Broncos nation that Hillis did â€" and still does.

Hillis was the Broncos' leading rusher in the injury-ravaged backfield in 2008 and built a nice following with his bruising style. When he went on to become a rarely used bit player after Josh McDaniels arrived in 2009 while the team struggled in short-yardage situations, Hillis always seemed to be the topic du jour.

McDaniels got visibly frustrated at times with the repeated questioning last year. However, his own running game hasn't bailed him out since â€" or shielded him from the questions.

The Broncos continue to have injuries in the backfield, they continued to struggle in short yardage in this preseason â€" they didn't convert a third-and-1 or a fourth-and-goal from the Vikings' 1-yard line against Minnesota's reserves in the last preseason game.

And you were not the first to ask about Hillis since that game. He was shipped to the Browns when the Broncos obtained Brady Quinn in a trade this year.

Hillis was the Browns' second-leading rusher in the preseason, with 80 yards â€" he had a pedestrian 3.8 yards-per-carry average â€" but he figures to get more work because he is a healthy option in the backfield.

The Browns were angling for rookie Montario Hardesty to be their primary ball carrier, but Hardesty suffered a season-ending knee injury last week.

Now Hillis figures to be in the mix with James Harrison and James Davis to get whatever carries an often-struggling Browns offense can divvy up. Harrison will be the likely starter, and some see Hillis as the team's option in the scoring zone.

The bottom line on Hillis' time with the Broncos is McDaniels simply didn't see him as a viable option in the backfield, either in short-yardage situations or spot duty in the offense. And if he were still here, he would have been fighting for one of the last spots on the roster.

Really, Mike Shanahan, as much as he liked Hillis as a player, didn't see him as a regular in the backfield until he had little choice but to use him there when the team had so many running backs go down in 2008.

Hillis would have earned more playing time if Shanahan had not been fired after that season, but he wouldn't have been the primary runner.

Hillis does get people going. Entire stories were written in the preseason about one 9-yard run he had against the Rams on which he dragged along several defenders.

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16006038

<DIV style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: left; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; : transparent; COLOR: #000000; OVERFLOW: ; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none">