Peyton Hillis

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
Here's a description from a fantasy site of one of the clowns Hillis was forced to block for at Arkansas:
<div></div>
<div>Felix Jones not only had little room to run, but he also dropped passes and missed blitz assignments that created sack-fumbles. The talent is there, but the focus is not. Jones is no better than a flex-option or desperation RB3 at this stage of the season. </div>
<div></div>
<div>So far, the former first round picks Jones (6) and Darren McFadden (11) that Hillis blocked for have combined for 17 career touchdowns in the NFL. In much more limited playing time, Hillis already has 15 career TDs.</div>

Snow, I voted for Peyton several times just now! Thanks for the link.

Don, those stats on Hillis, Jones and McFadden speak volumes about the insanity of the caste system, as well as coaches who are just plain Nutts.

snow

Mentor
DWFan said:
Yeah! He reminds me of what I've seen of Campbell too!

He reminds me of a young Jamal Lewis (his first few years in the league, like the season where he broke 2k rushing), but I was too young to see Campbell and haven't really seen any footage.
Edited by: snow

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i was wondering ... would it be too arrogantof me to pat myself on the back with regard to the awesomeness that is the Juggernaut?

i mean, i did point it out a looooooong time ago ...
smiley2.gif
smiley9.gif
smiley4.gif

i just hope Hillis can avoid the bulls-eye that the homeboys are undoubtedly targeting him with.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I nominate Jimmy Chitwood for the castefootball scout of the year. What a find! Keep up the good work Jimmy!

CLINTON PORTIS: PEYTON HILLIS, WHITE RUNNING BACKS RECEIVE SAME SCRUTINY AS BLACK QBS

Clinton Portis, making his weekly appearance on the Mike Wise Show with Holden Kushner on 106.7 The Fan, praised the play of Cleveland Browns running back Peyton Hillisand said production -- not his race -- makes theback's breakout seasonexciting.

Hillis, a third-year pro, is one of the league's leading rushers with 133 carries for 644 yards and seven touchdowns. Hillis has generated a buzz not only because of his production but also because he is a rarity, being one of the NFL's few white running backs.

Wise asked Portis if Hillis, who on Sunday rushed for 184 yards and two touchdowns on 29 carries in a 34-14 upset of the New England Patriots, is receiving an excessive amount of attention because he is white, but Portis said no.

Portis likened the situation of Hillis and other white running backs to one that is similar to that of black quarterbacks.

"I think it's the same," Portis said. "When you look at when a black quarterback, a Michael Vick or Donovan McNabb, and a black quarterback goes out and makes a play, it's so exciting, ‘Oh, a black quarterback, a black quarterback!' But I think on the flip side, it's because you don't see a lot of black quarterbacks leading teams. When you think of the running back, in the NFL, all the running backs you can come up with are black running backs. I think Peyton Hillis is the exception. He's running outstanding, he's running hard like he's got something to prove."Â￾

Portis said white or not, Hillis deserves praise for his production, as do the Cleveland Browns, who have won two straight games, upsetting both the New Orleans Saints and New England Patriots, respectively.

"I think when you look at that organization, Cleveland Browns, you think before the season, what would the Cleveland Browns be, you wouldn't think Peyton Hillis would be on fire. You wouldn't think Cleveland would beat New England this week,"Â￾ Portis said. "That's a team that's gelling together and have found something that's hot and they're riding it. When you have someone running as possessed as Peyton is with something to prove, you've always got to be excited even as an outsider. You've got to be happy for him. It's great for Peyton and it's great for the league."Â￾

ARTICLE

phil3333

i was on to peyton when he was a freshman at ark. that was the first i had heard of him,<div>but then again i had never heard of caste football until about a year ago i always thought i was the only</div><div>one watching for white rb's</div><div>
smiley9.gif
</div>

snow

Mentor
Jimmy Chitwood said:
i was wondering ... would it be too arrogantof me to pat myself on the back with regard to the awesomeness that is the Juggernaut?
<div></div>
<div>i mean, i did point it out a looooooong time ago ...
smiley2.gif
smiley9.gif
smiley4.gif
</div>
<div></div>
<div>i just hope Hillis can avoid the bulls-eye that the homeboys are undoubtedly targeting him with. </div>

I think you deserve it. Hopefully the same will happen with Hunter Winston, if he ever gets a d1 fbs scholarship, from his highlights he looks like the real deal.

I think Hillis can avoid the bulls-eye, for some reason he seems to have respect from affletes for the moment, we'll see when he has to replay some teams he has already faced, he did injure quite a few affletes while running the ball, they might not be so happy. But it is hard to get a good hit on him, he looks more like a safety or a linebacker out there delivering hits when contact is made. Ive seen several defenders try to go low at his knees but he has jumped over or managed some way to avoid it.
Edited by: snow

The Hock

Master
I like Campbell comparison. Earl was a beast. I'm sure defenders get a knot in their gut when they see Peyton coming. The saying goes something like "his reputation precedes him." That fear can be like a couple extra blockers.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Jimmy Chitwood said:
i was wondering ... would it be too arrogant of me to pat myself on the back with regard to the awesomeness that is the Juggernaut?
<div> </div>

I just read that article again. Nicely done. Yes, you deserve a pat on the back for sure!And Col. Reb deserves one too for telling you about this site, if I remember correctly.

DWFan

Mentor
Me too Snow. I didn't watch football until '95 or so so I only know about Campbell from replays I see. His style is really fun to watch, though Hillis' is more fun to me 'cause I like his personality a lot (and he's a white dude). Though Lewis was in my time, I rarely watched him. To me the Ravens were really boring compared to other teams. I'm kind of the typical DWF in a way--I need some offense!

DWFan

Mentor
Someone pinch me...I'm thinking well of Clinton Portis...heck someone beat me w/a crowbar.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Bart said:
Jimmy Chitwood said:

<div></div>

I just read that article again. Nicely done. Yes, you deserve a pat on the back for sure!And Col. Reb deserves one too for telling you about this site, if I remember correctly.

Twasn't me that told Jimmy about CF, because we didn't know each other before CF. We did meet up a couple of times after we'd both been posting here for a while though. JC did a great job with the Peyton Hillis article, and it is to CF's credit that we have a talent like him contributing to the site!
smiley32.gif

A bunch of us have been pulling for and touting Peyton Hillis for a long time, and I'm thrilled he finally appears to have a real shot at stardom/being a long-term castebuster! He deserves it, just like so many White athletes! Isn't it interesting what a little opportunity can do?

Just to satisfy my curiosity, I went back to try to find the earliest mention of Peyton Hillis on the site and it was during the first week of this site's existence, specifically October 18, 2004. I suspect Don, jaxvid, white lightning and whoever else was on the old site had been talking about Peyton since the '04 season began if not before.

I remember hearing about Peyton in '04 and seeing him on TV a couple of times. He was amazing to watch even as a freshman who missed several games to injury.

Go Peyton Go!
</div>

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Some eerie comments after an article... (currently 121 comments on 7 pages) http://neighbors.denverpost.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16560347&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=40

last paragraph of one comment:
Now, that Hillis has proven he's an NFL starter, many guys are very much enjoying McD's obvious failure. But there was hardly a consensus that Hillis was going to be as good as he is. None of his coaches have ever put him at the top of the depth chart. Not in college, not in two Denver administrations, not even in Cleveland. He got his shot there when somebody else got hurt.

A response comment:
Just a few points on your opinion.
1) Hillis was a nationally recognized/recruited RUNNING BACK in high school before being pushed in to the full back position at Arkansas because of his size and skin color.
This is the biggest issue with the whole debate, Hillis was projected to be a full back based on other people's opinions.

2) Shanny drafted Hillis as a FULL BACK which is why Hillis didn't sniff the rb spot until we had zero other options.
3) Once given the chance at rb Hillis excelled and anyone with eyes could see his natural position is running back.
4) I'm pretty sure Mangini remembered what Hillis did to his Jets team in 08 which is why Mangini required Hillis as part of the trade.
5) Hillis needed time to learn the Browns play book before getting his chance and it also helped that they suffered some injuries as well.
6) If you look at the Browns situation closely you can see they didn't bring Hillis in to be a full back, they already had/have Vickerson as the entrenched starter at fb.

foobar75

Master
With each passing week as Hillis (and Woodhead) continue to have success and get noticed at a national level, am I the only one who's anger at MIN grows more and more? Clearly, someone is missing from this party, and his name is Toby Gerhart.

There's no doubt that had Toby been drafted by the right team and made into a feature back, he'd have at least 500yds rushing and 5-6 TDs by now, and be among the league leaders. Having a bash-brothers combo of Hillis/Gerhart, complimented by a versatile scatback like Woodhead would've really made everyone take notice and poke some huge holes into the bogus belief that white men can't run the ball in the NFL.

We really need Gerhart to be freed from his situation in MIN and join the other 2 as soon as possible. They are all very young, so we can look forward to many years of success ahead, and perhaps this can finally tear down this caste wall. Since we always talk about baby steps, I'd be more than content with having a similar ratio as the black QBs. If we have 5-6 starting white RBs in the NFL and sort of plant the seeds, then the ripple effects should carry to the college level and we can end up with a consistent supply each year, again, very similar to how it works with black QBs.

GWTJ

Mentor
This past weekend I had to make a choice in my money FF league. Start Hillis or Woodhead. Arian Foster is my other RB and I have to start him. I almost started Woodhead figuring the Pats would score more and he would have more scoring opportunities plus the Pats had stuffed every RB they faced this year. I ended up choosing Hillis because he has a better scoring avg. per game but I wasn't too confident. Well, I was smiling all day Sunday.
smiley17.gif

HILLIS RULES!!! And getting him late on draft day makes it even sweeter. I hope all of us playing FF have Hillis on one of their squads.

snow said:
DWFan said:
He reminds me of a young Jamal Lewis (his first few years in the league, like the season where he broke 2k rushing), but I was too young to see Campbell and haven't really seen any footage.

The live broadcast of the 1978 Rams-Oilers game is now on youtube. The play were Earl Campbell flattened Isiah Robertson is in Part 11. You see a lot of white players on both sides in this game. For a good part of the game, Rob Carpenter was lining up alongside Campbell.

Westside

Hall of Famer
SH, Earl Campbell was a great back and great person to boot. I remember is epic goal line run, where he was smashed by Jack Tatum, helmet to helmet, knocked back about two feet, but was still able to fall forward into the end. Great play.

The game your talking about was when a broadcaster said " Earl Campbell has the biggest thighs below his waist" or something to that effect, funny stuff. Carpenter was a great back when he subbed for Campbell, and later was traded to the Gaints which went deep into the playoffs with him as the feature back. He had some good playoff games with them.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Jimmy Chitwood said:
i was wondering ... would it be too arrogant of me to pat myself on the back with regard to the awesomeness that is the Juggernaut?
<div> </div>
smiley2.gif

smiley9.gif

smiley4.gif
</div>
<div> </div>
<div>i just hope Hillis can avoid the bulls-eye that the homeboys are undoubtedly targeting him with. </div>

Absolutely not JC, your article was a brilliant piece. At the time I was surprised you didn't pick Gerhart as I thought he was the best big white powerback by a fair bit. In truth there are many great white RBs to choose from and you were correct that Hillis may be the best big powerback of any race to come along in a long time.

As far as Foobar's comments, if we were to get 6 or 7 starting white RBs with 10 more or so 2nd teamers I could live with it as long as it was the cream that was rising to the top like McGuffie, Burkhead, Wegher, Bourbon, Cory McCaffrey, Nile Knapp, Zach Langer and Cam McDaniel to name a few. We may have to live with guys like Blake Smolen, Stan Zwinggi, Eric Kettani, Tre Smith, Joe Martinek and Luke Lipincott and Trevyn Smith- not being considered AT ALL due to non REALLY ELITE production (first five) or non ELITE measurebles (Lippincott). The latter guys may be good enough to make NFL rosters IMO, but aren't the cream of the crop like the first mentioned. We may also have to lose certain talented players after H.S- as long as it isn't guys as freakishly good as Knapp or Cory McCaffrey we will have to live with it for the time being. We will have to be smart in which guys we die hard focus on to disprove the CS.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

backrow

Hall of Famer
a blog entry from nfl.com Charles Davis (a black writer)

Don't let Peyton Hillis fool you
By Charles Davis |
Published: November 9th, 2010 | | Tags: Cleveland Browns, Mike Alstott, Peyton Hillis, Charles Davis
When it comes to Peyton Hillis, don't let appearances fool you.

When I had the chance to see the Browns first-hand a couple of weeks ago, they weren't ready to win consistently. But that seems to have changed in recent weeks, and one of the biggest reasons why is Hillis, one of the Browns I was very impressed with.

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai When I first met Hillis, he shared that his father told him he would need to be the hardest-working player on the field if he wanted to make it. Hillis grew up on a farm and learned the value of hard work, and while his father never gave him anything, he carries this advice with him to this day. We can see it in the way he runs the football.

I can't help but think that if there has ever been a perfect marriage between a player and a city in recent seasons, we're seeing it with Hillis and Cleveland.

Hillis is a born and raised Arkansas boy, but you would swear he's from Cleveland. He fits the city perfectly. He's tough, gritty, blue-collar and doesn't ask for anything. He'll battle you in every way. He'll run over you, he'll run around you, he'll jump over you and will even run past you when he needs to.

A lot of people want to compare Hillis to Mike Alstott, who was a terrific player. Ultimately, I think if Hillis stays healthy and is blessed with a long career, he will prove to be better because he has a more versatile skill set than Alstott. That's no knock on Alstott.

There's something about Hillis that a lot of people are missing. When you look at him, what you see is a fullback. But to me, he's a feature back. The Browns can use Hillis in every situation and he should be a primary ball carrier. He can stay on the field on third downs, can catch the ball out of the backfield and is also terrific in blitz pickup.

Don't let him fool you, because Hillis is a tailback in a fullback's body. What's great to see is that the city of Cleveland has embraced him, and made him one of their own.

Follow me on Twitter @CFD22 and follow The NFL Network @nflnetwork.

101 CommentsSort By: Newest First | Oldest First | Most Recommended
the82spartans
Ha! Albino Rhino! Get out of the way!
10 minutes ago
RecommendReport
comebackkosar
I no right? my wife heard that somewhere and we are running with it! (get it running with it?) :D
15 minutes ago
RecommendReport
peytonsdisciple
The albino rhino... that is just awesome.
17 minutes ago
RecommendReport
stever114
I'm a eagles fan and i love this guy. a good old powerback with speed
21 minutes ago
RecommendReport
comebackkosar
Peyton "Albino Rhino" Hillis, Colt "Ur my Boy" McCoy, Josh "They call me MR." Cribbs WE HAVE HOPE BROWNSFANS!!!!!
22 minutes ago
Recommend 1 Report
owerupoup
rebuildingsince57
and everyone thought that Holmgren had lost his marbles when he traded the Browns' former first-round QB for the Broncos' fullback.
37 minutes ago
RecommendReport
mcpd43
hahahahaha.... he pwned to patsies
40 minutes ago
RecommendReport
hostilebunch
I love to watch this guy play ball a good north and south runner with a punishing style and a very good demeanor! I wish him all the success he can obtain!
about 1 hour ago
RecommendReport
stix09
I think Hillis and McCoy will make this team so much better and possibly make a run to try and get into the playoffs
about 1 hour ago

backrow

Hall of Famer
from espn.com stats and info, just how special was Peyton's huge game vs Pats?

Peyton Hillis takes it right at the Patriots
November, 8, 2010
The Cleveland Browns have won back to back games for the first time this season after beating the New England Patriots 34-14 on Sunday. Peyton Hillis ran for a career-high 184 yards, the most rush yards by one player against the Patriots since Ricky Williams rushed for 185 yards on December 29, 2002. New England couldn't stop Hillis even though he attacked the same way he has all season -- and attacked the Pats' strength as well.

Hillis carried the ball six times for 59 yards (9.8 yds per carry) and a touchdown Sunday when the Patriots had eight or more defenders in the box. Entering Week 9, New England had allowed only 1.3 yards per carry with eight in the box, fourth-best in the NFL. Hillis also rushed for three first downs in those situations, half the total that the Patriots had allowed in their first seven games this season.

Of his 29 carries, Hillis ran the ball 21 times for 133 yards and a touchdown on attempts between the tackles (72.4 percent). Entering Week 9, only 49ers RB Frank Gore (69.5) had a higher percentage of his carries go up the middle than Hillis (65.4).

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I don't know what to think about the "Albino Rhino" nickname. It could be good or bad, depending on how you look at it. The Juggernaut is making some nice waves in the Caste media!

white is right

Hall of Famer
sport historian said:
snow said:
DWFan said:

The live broadcast of the 1978 Rams-Oilers game is now on youtube. The play were Earl Campbell flattened Isiah Robertson is in Part 11. You see a lot of white players on both sides in this game. For a good part of the game, Rob Carpenter was lining up alongside Campbell.
I seem to recall a MNF game in his rookie year where Campbell ran hog wild over the Dolphins too. From my memories he flattened either a linebacker or safety in that game too and rushed for about 200 yards. Ps I just found the game on youtube if anybody cares to watch...Edited by: white is right

Colonel_Reb said:
I don't know what to think about the "Albino Rhino" nickname. It could be good or bad, depending on how you look at it. The Juggernaut is making some nice waves in the Caste media! 

"Albino Rhino" sounds like a Christine Berman coinage.