Ohio high school playoffs

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Received this from a supporter the other day:

"I watched all 6 games of the Ohio High School football championships. Ninety-Five Percent of the players were white! All of the majority Negro teams lost or did not make it to the playoffs. The only team that had blacks (3) was Cincy St. Xavier which won the big school title. The announcers at that game kept talking about how those three blacks were all Division 1 college prospects. I did not hear that about the 95% whites! Gee, I wonder why there are not 95% whites playing at the big college level? They were the best in high school. Instead the reverse is the rule (80% blacks?). It must be the "caste system".

"P.S. There were also several good white running backs!"

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
this happens every year all across the nation, and i will add my two cents with what happened in my home state.

Arkansas high school football has 6 divisions; the smallest classification is 2A, and it goes all the way up to the largest of 7A.

this year, of the 12 teams in the state championship games, 10 were either all-white or overwhelming-nearly-all-white, including the six largest schools. all six of the State Championship Winners were either all-white or overwhelmingly-nearly-all-white.

however, virtually none of these white athletes are being recruited. to put things in Arkansas in perspective...

Class 5A state champion Greenwood High School is considered by many to be the best overall team in the state and don't have a single black kid on the roster. they just won their THIRD STRAIGHT STATE TITLE. to my knowledge, the ONLY Greenwood player that has been offered a scholarship to a Division I school in that time period is their current quarterback, senior Tyler Wilson (committed to Tulsa).

conversely, Warren High School, which plays in the 4A classification (the third smallest) has 4 "athletes" on their roster who have Division I scholarship offers right now. and they didn't even make the semi-finals of the state playoffs!
smiley5.gif

it goes without saying, that something is very, VERY backward about that.