Notre Dame

McDonald is gonna be awsome.... Great to see a Los Angeles kid make the right decision... Between McDonald, Reuland and Jimmy Clausen Notre Dame will have a good California presence.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Their linebacking corp is starting to look as pale as Penn State's usually is. Great news. Do you gys remember the days of Michael Stonebreaker, Frank Stam and who was that other white linebacker from the late 80's?

REDNOSE

Guru
According to some sources, ND has added yet another highly rated white athlete. The kid is a great QB prospect named from the same California highschool as another ND commit, Anthony McDonald. If you're still counting, that makes 8 for 8 whites for the 2008 signing class. Absolutely amazing and surprising! Maybe these athletes are seeing that Weis gives each player a fair shake and want to be a part of something revolutionary.

REDNOSE

Guru
According to some sources, ND has added yet another highly rated white athlete. The kid is a great QB prospect named Dayne Crist from the same California highschool as another ND commit, Anthony McDonald. If you're still counting, that makes 8 for 8 whites for the 2008 signing class. Absolutely amazing and surprising! Maybe these athletes are seeing that Weis gives each player a fair shake and want to be a part of something revolutionary.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
More good news! Just keep reeling them in Weis!
smiley32.gif

Dayne Crist has committed to Notre Dame. Crist may be the best QB prospect for 2008.

This decision may be questionable on Crist's part being as Notre Dame is already stacked at the QB position. Last year ND picked up Jimmy Clausen, the nations number one overall prospect.

Looks like all of the best California football talent is going out of state; the white players at least. Oh well, all other white people are leaving this state; makes sense that our football stars would as well. Clausen and Crist grew up only fifteen miles from one another, but refused Pete Carrols advances.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
OC football said:
Clausen and Crist grew up only fifteen miles from one another, but refused Pete Carrols advances.

Dang OC, you make that sound perverse!
smiley36.gif

It looks like the vast majority of players remaining with a Notre Dame offer are black. This according to Scout.com

Does anyone here know if RB McGuffy has been offered a scolarship by Weiss? Or 6'5" Mission Viejo WR Reuland? According to Scout.com they don't hold offers but other sources make it seem as if they do.

Sam McGuffie holds an offer from Notre Dame yes OC
Konrad Reuland the WR's brother is currently 2nd string tight end at ND and is going to great,and i know for a fact ND are after his brother aswell.

They are also after Linebacker/Safety hybrid Brett Nagel,2007 Commit Aaron Nagels brother.

How long do you all think it will be before theres a media backlash at ND for having too few Black commitments
smiley11.gif
smiley7.gif
?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
NotreDameIrish said:
How long do you all think it will be before theres a media backlash at ND for having too few Black commitments
smiley11.gif
smiley7.gif
?

Well, I think it may be a while, if for no other reason than Notre Dame still being a 50/50 team as far as the roster goes. It will take a couple more years of white majority recruiting classes before most people really start to notice a change in the composition of the starters and the team as a whole. If this happens, then I'm sure there will be a media outcry. Let us just hope we have the opportunity to see a Notre Dame team that is 2/3 white on the field. I still think it is too early to say what the future holds, but it looks pretty good. As for those 3 players just mentioned, I'd love to see them be part of the change. Please keep us posted on them, gentlemen.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
OC football said:
Clausen and Crist grew up only fifteen miles from one another, but refused Pete Carrols advances.

Dang OC, you make that sound perverse!
smiley36.gif

smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

BLUE-GOLD GAME STATS

Anouther day, more good news from Notre Dame.

PASSING:
* Sharpley, Even... 7 attempts, 5 completions, 31 yards
* Clausen, Jimmy...7 attempts, 3 completions, 23 yards
* Jones, Demetrius...6 attemps, 3 completions, 23 yards, 1 int, 1 TD
* Frazer, Zack... 4 attemps, 0 completions, 1 int

RECIEVING
* Parris, Robby... 2 for 28 and 1 TD
smiley32.gif

* Reuland, Konrad... 3 for 21
* Carlson, John... 3 for 14
* Jackson, Richard... 1 for 6
* Allen, Almando... 1 for 4
* Jabbie, Junior... 1 for 4

The RB's all did well. FB Luke Schmidt only ran once and it was for just 3 yards. It seems like Asaph Schwapp is the favorit FB after all seeing as that he got 7 carries. Schwapp averaged 4 yards per carry.

WR David Grimms is injured I believe. And why David West had no receptions is beyond me. Secondly, it looks like Parris is in serious contention here.

DEFENSE (the most impressive white players only because it would have take me too long to go through the entire list and put down the entire team, although I would have liked to)

Vernaglia, Anthony: 1 Sack and 8 tackles
Mullen, Patty: 1 Sack and 2 tackles
Kuntz, Patrick: 1 Sack 3 tackles
Ryan, John: 1 Sack 2 tackles.

CB Kyle McCarty also had three tackles. Yes, yes he really is getting a chance at CB. May the best man win.

Edited by: OC football

MORE QB STATS FROM THE GAME....

* Clausen was sacked twice. His passes had some serious zip behind them, however he did miss a cupple of recievors.

* Jones was sacked twice, fumbled once. Was recovered by his own team. He also had 23 rushing yards. This all in addition to his interception and TD pass.

* Sharpley was sacked five times, fumbled once. Was also recovered by his own team.

* Frazor was sacked once. This in addition to his interception. I'm feeling bad for this kid.

Was a bad day for all QB's. But it looks like Clausen had the best day of the lot. I think that he will win the starting job.

Triad

Mentor
Thanks for the info. Nice work.

whiteCB

Master
OC football said:
BLUE-GOLD GAME STATS

CB Kyle McCarty also had three tackles. Yes, yes he really is getting a chance at CB. May the best man win.

[/QUOTE

That is great to see Kyle getting a shot at CB. I remember back when he was getting recruited out of high school him actually saying that he wants to get a shot at CB even though he's white and some might not wnat to let him. Kyle is a great cover guy who can win the job somewhere down the line if given a fair chance.

Two more commits:

Darious Fleming a 6'3" defensive end. And Joseph Fauria a 6'8" TE.

Notre Dame is the only major college program that gives athletes of all racial backgrounds a chance to play the skill positions. Charlie Weiss is going after those players whom he feels are best for the team. Reguardless of what anyone else thinks.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
<DIV =firstP>Weis quiet about next QB
<DIV =firstP>
<DIV =firstP>Foxsports.com
<DIV =firstP>
<DIV =firstP>SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) - If someone has the inside track to taking over for Brady Quinn, Charlie Weis wasn't saying heading into Notre Dame's Blue-Gold game on Saturday.

He won't be saying afterward, either.

Weis has done everything he could this spring to keep from giving any hint of which of the four Irish quarterbacks have done the most to impress coaches, laughing at some questions from reporters.

"If you're looking for me to slip, I'm not slipping," Weis said. "You'll be trying a long time to get me to slip."

Weis has gone so far as to use coin flips to determine which quarterbacks will start Saturday. Zach Frazer will start for the Gold team, with Evan Sharpley taking the even-numbered series. Jimmy Clausen will start for Blue and alternate possessions with Demetrius Jones.

The start by Clausen has been the most anticipated arrival at Notre Dame since Ron Powlus showed up on campus in 1993. A year ago Clausen held a news conference at the College Football Hall of Fame before the Blue-Gold game and said he was coming to Notre Dame "to try to get four national championship rings."

Weis hasn't allowed Clausen, who enrolled in January, to talk with reporters. He also has gone out of his way to make sure it doesn't look as though he is handing Clausen the job.

"The first thing is as a head coach is you don't create prima donnas. That's very, very important," Weis said. "You just sit up an equal plan, very logistically laid out and let everyone know this is what the plan is going to be."

Notre Dame coaches don't expect to pick the next starting quarterback until at least August. Weis said after being out on the road recruiting the first two weeks of May, the staff will get together and narrow the four quarterbacks to the top two.

The other three quarterbacks said they are pleased with their performance so far. Frazer said he's approaching practice as though he is the starter.

"I've got to think, 'I'm the guy.' I'm going to play every snap like it's the last play of the game and I've got to win the game," he said.

Jones said he won't take much satisfaction if he's in the final two.

"I didn't come here to be anybody's sidekick," Jones said. "So if I'm named in the top two that would be just another stepping stone in my career."

Sharpley, the only returner to ever take a snap at quarterback for the Irish, said he's just focusing on improving.

"There's always little things you can do to help your game. Whether it be working on your drop, your quick release, your knowledge of the offense, just any little things," he said. "There are so many things you can focus on. That's something I'll get a chance to look at once the spring is over."

While much of the focus Saturday will be on offense, Notre Dame fans also will be eager to see the new 3-4 defense. The Irish have struggled on defense the past two seasons and Weis hired former New York Jets assistant coach Corwin Brown as defensive coordinator to try to turn things around.

Weis said the Irish are making progress.

"We now have a lot fewer question marks at this stage than we did at the beginning of the spring," he said. "Now we can zero in on some of the major problems, and there are some. But there's just a lot less problems now than when we got started."

McCarthy has an outside shot. His starting is highly unprobable. There is just too much competition for those starting spots.

Vernaglia, Kuntz and Ziberkowski (yah I know, not spelled correctly) seem like they have a lock on the starting jobs.

Patty Mullen and John Ryan may get decent playing time but I doubt that they be will starting this year.

What counts is that Weiss and his staff are giving everyone a good look and a fair shot. You wont here Weiss discount the athletic tallents of Ryan or Mullen when speaking to the media. As he shouldn't. All defensive ends and linebackers competing for the these respective postitions have outstanding atheletic abilities. Edited by: OC football

It beginning to look more and more likely that ND will have a team that actually mirrors the demographics of America.

Within the last cupple of weeks they have signed another white offensive lineman in Lane Chellard and Hafis Williams a black Defensive Tackel.

Lane Chellard was offered scolarships by several major programs. He would have been given a chance to compete for a starting position anywhere he went. However, this commit still is important because in order for ND's white wide recievors to be successfull and change steriotypes, they will need a good offensive line buying the quarterback time to make the play. Edited by: OC football

backrow

Hall of Famer
i just read that Poz's little brother, David Posluszny has verbally comitted to ND!
smiley32.gif

"Sibling rivalry
There might very well be high school players in Western Pennsylvania who will look to Posluszny's Penn State career and try to follow in his footsteps.

His brother David, however, is looking to make his own path on the NCAA scene.

Having just finished his junior year at Hopewell High School, David Posluszny - also a linebacker - has already given a verbal commitment to sign with Notre Dame in February, choosing the Fighting Irish early on in the recruiting process.

"You know, he wanted to do something different than what I did," Posluszny said of his brother. "I obviously would've liked for him to go to Penn State, and I know he really liked it there and liked coach Bradley a lot recruiting him, but Notre Dame just seemed to be a perfect fit for him.""