NFL Network’s Top 10 Mobile QBs.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Here is my post in Footballsblackfuture.com forums:

NFL.com's Top Ten Mobile QBs (Vick is NOT number1)

NFL.com has added tons of new features, including lots of video. They put together a top 10 list of the greatest mobile Quarterbacks of all time. I went ahead and added some more stats under the links, so enjoy. (The video highlights are incredible.)

10) Donovan McNabb (Philadelphia Eagles 1999-present)
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d801f96bd
College: Syracuse University (1st overall to Eagles)
Passing Stats- 58.7% completed/ 171 TDs/ 79 ints
Rushing Stats- 6 yards a carry/ 2962 Yards/ 24TDs

9) Doug Flutie ( LA Rams, Chicago, New England, Buffalo, San Diego1985-2005)
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d801f9799
College: Boston (11th round to Rams)
Passing Stats- 54.7% completed/ 86TD/ 68 Ints
Rushing Stats- 4.8 yards a carry/1634 yards/ 10 TDs

8) Jim Zorn (Seattle Seahawks 1976-1984, GB Packers 1985, TB Bucs 1987)
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d801f9767
College: Cal Poly
Passing Stats-53.0% completed/ 111 TDs/ 141 Ints
Rushing Stats- 4.7 yards a carry/ 1504 yards/ 17Tds

7) Dan Marino (Miami Dolphins 1983-1999)
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d801f9781
College: Pittsburgh (1st round to Dolphins)
Passing Stats- 59.4% completed/ 420 TDs/ 252 Ints
Rushing Stats- .3 yards a carry/ 87 yards/ 9 TDs

6) Roger Staubach (Dallas Cowboys 1969-1979)
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d801f9850
College: Navy (10th round to Dallas)
Passing Stats- 57.0%/ 153 Tds/ 109 Ints
Rushing Stats- 5.5 yards a carry/ 2264 yards/ 20 Tds

5) Bobby Douglass (Chicago Bears 1969-1975, New Orleans Saints 1976-1977, Green Bay Packers 1978)
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d801f98b8
College: Kansas
Passing Stats: 43.0% completed/ 36 TDs/ 64 Ints
Rushing Stats: 6.5 yards a carry/ 2654 yards/ 22 TDs

4) Michael Vick (Atlanta Falcons 2001- 2006, Jail 2007-2008)
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d801f99fc
College: Virginia Tech (1st overall to Falcons)
Passing Stats- 53.8% completed/ 71 TDs/ 52 Ints
Rushing Stats- 7.3 yards a carry/ 3859 yards/ 21 TDs

3) Randall Cunningham (Philadelphia Eagles 1985- 1995, Minnesota Vikings 1997-1999, Dallas 2000, Baltimore 2001)
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d801f9a2e
College: UNLV (2nd round to Eagles)
Passing Stats: 56.6% completed/ 207 TDs/ 134 Ints
Rushing Stats: 6.4 yards a carry/ 4928 yards/ 35 TDs

2)Steve Young (TB Bucs 1985-1986, SF 49rs 1987- 1999)
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d801f9a16
College: BYU (1st round to Tampa bay)
Passing Stats: 64.3% completed/ 232 Tds/ 107 Ints
Rushing Stats: 5.9 a carry/ 4239 yards/ 43 Tds

1) Fran Tarkenton (Minnesota Vikings 1961- 1966, NY Giants 1967-1971, Vikings 1972- 1978)
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d801f9c25
College: Georgia (3rd Round to the Vikings)
Passing Stats: 57.0% completed/ 342 Tds/ 266 Ints
Rushing Stats: 5.4 yards a carry/ 3674 yards/ 32 Tds

Now I'd have to say this is a pretty good list, but Dan Marino should not be on the list. Yes he was good at sliding in the pocket, but he couldn't crack 5 seconds in the 40 yard dash and has 87 rushing yards for his entire career! Jim Zorn and Bobby Douglas? I'm not so sure they should be on the list either, their stats aren't impressive as overall QBs. Flutie would have had "by far" better stats if he was given fair opportunity in the NFL sooner. He was an absolute stud in the CFL.

I would personally take Marino, Zorn and Douglas off the list and add Brett Favre for sure (Favre could run in the 4.7-4.8 40 range in his prime and was one of the greatest of all time throwing on the run). And I'd add John Elway (who could scramble very well & could throw on the move) and probably Steve McNair (finished with an impressive career QB rating and was an impressive scrambler who could throw on the move). I'd probably keep Vick just barely on the list at #10 b/c of his ridiculous rushing stats, even though he hasn't played in the league long.

There is no way Vick is the number 4 "mobile" QB when you compare the overall criteria "mobile" and "QB"! Maybe they felt bad for him b/c of the dogfighting charges? Donovan McNabb and Doug Flutie should definitely be higher than Vick IMO.

Guys who could make the list in the future:
1. Ben Rothlisberger (runs a 4.7; and shows impressive scrambling ability and can throw on the run)
2. Carson Palmer (runs a 4.6 and can scramble and throw on the run)
3. Vince Young (runs a 4.5 and can scramble and throw on the run, but has yet to showcase impressive passing ability, he is only a game manager at this point)

Guys who could be on the list in the future, but were screwed!

Matt Jones and Eric Crouch; ran a 4.37 and 4.41 respectively and were sick college QBs but the NFL didn't give either a chance at QB. With Jones I heard he had shoulder problems effecting his arm strength, but he still showed an ability to throw down field in college! But Eric Crouch was absolutely screwed!

Crouch would have been "at least" a good 2nd string QB and would have been a sick RB if given a shot! But mad man Martz was obsessed in turning him into a slot WR. Crouch was a ball in hand guy not a guy to send over the middle to make the tough catch. If you watch Crouch's highlights his speed and elusivenss would project as a good scat back!

Why teach him to learn WR when he already knew how to do virtually everything a RB needs to do? NFLdraftscout.com ranked Eric Crouch as the 20th best RB in the 2002 rankings even though he had never played the position!

It would have been much easier for that freak athlete to play RB!
Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

bigunreal

Mentor
ToughJ,

Bobby Douglass rushed for nearly 1000 yards in a 14 game season back in the early 1970s. He was basically a RB back there; had a cannon arm, but little accuracy (and woeful receivers, kind of like the Bears now).

Jim Zorn was incredibly mobile; he was the expansion Seahawks' first QB and made a lot of impressive plays with his feet. He had almost nothing to work with (which was typical of expansion teams), except Steve Largent during the first part of his career.

Dan Marino was almost immobile back there, so I can't understand how he was picked for this list.

In my mind, "most mobile" means able to scramble, and run when you have to. I don't think it should necessarily be linked to a quarterback's overall success. Thus, I think this is an amazingly good list, and find it hard to believe that NFL.com came up with it.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
How does one compile a list of the greatest mobile quarterbacks of all time and include Dan Marino but not John Elway? Elway has 3,047 yards rushing, a 4.4. ypc average, and 33 TD's. Makes you wonder what agenda is driving the bus this time.

How can they include Dan? .3 ypc average, and 87 yards in his entire career?? That's ridiculous. If they include Marino, we might as well throw in Drew Bledsoe. Everybody knows he was a great scrambler!
smiley36.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Adding Marino wasa joke of some kind.

But Dan knew how to take a hit. I remember him saying that the instant he felt a defender hit him he'd let his body go limp rather than tensing up and trying to fight it. He was a verydurable quarterback.

White Power

Mentor
Marino knew how to step up in the pocket,and he moved just enough on many occassions keeping the play alive then making the completion downfield usually to a covered receiver. One must not be track star to have pocket awareness and a feel for the pass rush. One must be instictive in this regard clearly some players are just inately able to avoid the rush without moving that much. I could go on , but Dan Marino was a special quarterback one only has to look at the dolphins franchise over the last 9 years to see how much he is still sorely missed.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are outstanding at sensing pressure and avoiding it, but the Caste media lumps them in as "immobile" and "unathletic." It's the time-honored Big Lie that athleticismconsists solely ofstraight-line speed and flash-and dash.

BTW, I wasn't criticizing Marino. He was a brilliant quarterback, but he had no speed and was a bit on the doughy side. His successproves the point that overall athleticism should be judged by many factors, both obvious and subtle, rather than only by the one or two areas where blacks may have a slight advantage on average.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I agree, Dan Marino was one of the best, if not the best, quarterback of all time. However, this list was supposed to be a compilation of the best 'mobile' quarterbacks of all time - of which Dan Marino was not. Sidestepping in the pocket doesn't really meet the definition of 'mobile,' the way Fran Tarkenton and Elway were mobile.

Interestingly enough, on the list that TJ posted, only two of the top ten greatest mobile quarterbacks of all time ever won a Super Bowl - Staubach and Young. With the addition of Elway, you have three of the top ten. But even Elway's Super Bowl wins didn't come at the height of his career as a mobile quarterback; he got his rings later in his career when he was more of a pocket passer, complemented by a strong running game.

This suggests to me that you still need one guy to throw the ball, and another to run with it - not one guy doing both.

Bart

Hall of Famer
I'd place Jake Plummer on the list and scratch Marino. I.853 yds -- 4.3 avg -17 td.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
GiovaniMarcon said:
What, no Joe Montana?

How could we forget Joe Montana?? - 1,676 yards, 3.7 ypc, 20 TD's.

Coachwkr

Archie Manning was one heck of a running quarterback -- He had to be on those dreadful Saints teams. Neither of his sons is near the athlete he was.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I'm glad Flutie made it. What an NFL career he might have had if he hadn't been a victim of the rule that only short blacks may play in the league.

ToughJ.Riggins said:
4) Michael Vick (Atlanta Falcons 2001- 2006, Jail 2007-2008)

Atlanta Falcons 2001-2006, Jail 2007-2008

Oh man, that is funny my friend. Its listed like its an actual team he plays for.
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

pt.guard2

Guru
How true. Flutie was one of the athletic QB's I have ever seen. Even in his late 30's and early 40's he was still one of the best scrambling and rushing QB's in the league.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
I'm glad Flutie made it.  What an NFL career he might have had if he hadn't been a victim of the rule that only short blacks may play in the league. 

I never really thought about that, but now that I do it's absolutely remarkable. White players are denounced for the same reasons someone like Darren Sproles is praised. For Sproles, it's a human-interest story. For a white athlete it's a massive shortcoming he'll have to overcome to make a squad. These shorter players are usually aomong the more freakishly athletic people in the NFL.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Was briefly watching NFL Access on the NFL Network when they went to an apparently regular segment where Jamie Dukes rants on some topic like a poor man's Dennis Miller. His topic was how the quarterbacks are treated differently than all the other players, when it comes to fines, hits, endorsements, getting gold-digging chicks, etc. None other than Chad Ocho Cinco was briefly shown saying that only quarterbacks can get away with the kind of stuff that he, Ocho Zero, unsuccessfully tried to pull off.

Dukes referred to this differentiation betweenquarterbacks and everyone elsein the NFL as a "caste system."
smiley36.gif
I kid you not. The intro hypingDuke's segment before the commercials began also stated that Dukes would be talking about the NFL's "caste system" when it comes to fines and hits. I don't know if this was a veiled shot at us. I doubt Dukes and anyone elseat the NFL Networkhas that kind of savvy and sophistication. Oh the irony, the NFLdoes indeed havea "caste system," but it's based not on race, but on quarterbacks vs. everyone else. Who knew?

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
GiovaniMarcon said:
What, no Joe Montana?

Yeah Joe Montana should likely be on the list over Dan Marino for sure. Jeff Garcia is another white QB who could be on along with the other guys I mentioned.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
Was briefly watching NFL Access on the NFL Network when they went to an apparently regular segment where Jamie Dukes rants on some topic like a poor man's Dennis Miller.  His topic was how the quarterbacks are treated differently than all the other players, when it comes to fines, hits, endorsements, getting gold-digging chicks, etc.  None other than Chad Ocho Cinco was briefly shown saying that only quarterbacks can get away with the kind of stuff that he, Ocho Zero, unsuccessfully tried to pull off.

Dukes referred to this differentiation between quarterbacks and everyone else in the NFL as a "caste system." 
smiley36.gif
  I kid you not.  The intro hyping Duke's segment before the commercials began also stated that Dukes would be talking about the NFL's "caste system" when it comes to fines and hits.  I don't know if this was a veiled shot at us.  I doubt Dukes and anyone else at the NFL Network has that kind of savvy and sophistication.  Oh the irony, the NFL does indeed have a "caste system," but it's based not on race, but on quarterbacks vs. everyone else.  Who knew? 

You never know; if sports pundits actually start dissing us, it probably means we're having an influence. You're probably right that Dukes was just using his own pea brained idea version of what an NFL caste system is, but Steve Sailor and a couple other guys have mentioned your site before Don. I do think that this site has had a minor influence, but it would be nice if it had more!