NFL Combine

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Riddlewire's idea has a lot of merit. i've often wondered about it myself, though i've not posted it.

i, too, wonder why coaches don't have prospects run in pads? that would obviously benefit players with "football speed" by simulating much more closely running on the field than lining up for a 40, which is run like a bastardized version of a track sprint.

excellent notion, Riddlewire.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
I'm kind of surprised nobody here has mentioned USC kicker David Buehler's amazing display of strength and speed. He even out-benched a couple of the highly-touted sumo offensive tackles (who outweigh him by probably 150 lbs of blubber).

He also ran a 4.56 40. It says he used to be a linebacker in HS. Gee, I wonder WHY his position was changed to a lowly kicker. It's a "mystery"....not.

Former USC kicker David Buehler turns heads at NFL combine
<DIV style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 8px" ="time">1:41 PM, February 25, 2009
<DIV ="entry-content">
<DIV ="entry-">

Usually, the only guy on a football field who can't kick anyone's tail is ... the kicker.

A former 49er kicker used to tell the story of how he was stopped by security, thinking he was a fan trying to sneak into the locker room. There have only been a handful -- Sebastian Janikowski and Jeff Reed come to mind -- that might be able to hold their own in a bar fight, much less take down a professional football player in full pads. Denver's Todd Sauerbrun tried to talk tough going into a game against Devon Hester and the Chicago Bears in 2007. Don't remember Sauerbrun? Exactly.

That could change for one team with the arrival of David Buehler. The former high school linebacker looks like he could still play the position -- but he prefers to bring home the bacon by kicking the pigskin.

At USC, Buehler (pronounced like "dealer," not Ferris Bueller) was known for a booming leg. He started his Trojan career as a backup in 2006 by connecting on a 49-yard field goal attempt. He spent the past two seasons on the first team.

But at 6-feet-2, 227 pounds, Buehler could have played somewhere else on the field. In fact, the Trojans experimented with him as a fullback and as a safety in practice. He wound up making five career tackles in kick coverage.

Kickers aren't required to lift at the NFL Combine, but Buehler did -- outperforming many linebackers, tight ends and even offensive linemen. He bench pressed 225 pounds 25 times in a row -- which would have made him the strongest cornerback, second-strongest wide receiver, third-strongest safety, fourth-strongest tight end, sixth-strongest running back and eighth-strongest linebacker at the weeklong event. He actually lifted more than a couple linemen who are projected as first-round picks.

His strong legs are also quick legs. Buehler ran a pair of unofficial 40-yard dashes in 4.56 and 4.63 seconds, easily ranking among the best tight ends, linebackers and broadcasters.

Impressive -- but what about, you know, his kicking? According to Sports Illustrated, Buehler "had the strongest kickoff leg as most of his kicks went 70+ yards deep into the opposite end zone. His problem came during the field goal portion of the session as Buehler missed on all three attempts from 50 yards."

NFL teams are always hesitant to draft kickers, but don't be surprised to see Buehler get picked up as a free agent. His cannon, um, leg might be enough of a reason, but his athletic versatility could help ensure that he makes it as a pro.

According to USCRipsIt.com, Buehler will be on Tony Bruno's national radio show tonight (Wednesday) at 7:45 p.m. (heard locally on AM 570 KLAC), and will appear on ESPN2's "First Take" at 7:50 a.m. Thursday. You can also read more about Buehler's NFL combine experience from his guest blogs on PeteCarroll.com.

-- Adam Rose

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2009/02/former-u sc-kick.htmlEdited by: Thrashen

backrow

Hall of Famer
i remember two punters a couple of years back, Podlesh and some other guy (Steelers and Jags got them i think) who were pretty big and really, really fast.

devans

Mentor
Don't forget punter Brian Moorman of the Bills, who ran track when he was younger, competing in both 110M and 400M hurdles. I looked up a few facts about him and dicovered he was Kansas state champion in the 110M and actually high school national champion in the 400M. I think he ran a low 4.4 when starting out in the NFL, and he has competed in the NFL fastest man competition. Edited by: devans

White Power

Mentor
One player that was snubbed from the combine is Britt Miller from Illnois. He was voted 2nd team all big ten and he will be a high draft pick in april's nfl draft

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Weddle had one of the fastest shuttle times of all time at the combine. He still isn't considered athletic even though he could probably beat at least half of the corners in the NFL in a footrace.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
No you're thinking of Kevin Kasper who ran an insane almost humanly impossible 3.75. Weddle was still VERY close to 4 seconds though which is an ELITE time.

I think you might be thinking of how Weddle formerly had the record for 10 yard split of 1.43 seconds until Chris Johnson broke it this year with a 1.4 flat; sorry to correct you.

And Dwid; I think Scout.com sometimes get's the times inaccurate and they definitely often round them. A typical STARTING CB probably runs in the high 4.4s at the Combine (it's the fastest position in football for sure) RBs and WRs it's probably low 4.5s for the "STARTERS". Check Footballsfuture.com or FFtoolbox.com for more accurate 40 times of players. I used to trust NFLdraftscout, but have lost some faith in them. Read my thread I started.

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
backrow said:
i remember two punters a couple of years back, Podlesh and some other guy (Steelers and Jags got them i think) who were pretty big and really, really fast.

Daniel Sepulveda went to the Steelers. His rookie year was inconsistent, and he missed last season with a knee injury. He's going to be on the hot seat next season to try and show he was worth investment of a first-day draft choice.

Riddlewire

Master
foreverfree said:
Riddlewire and Tough J., how about testing them in *helmets* as well as pads?

John
I had hoped that that was implicit in my post. I'm not in the habit of saying "uniform". When I say "pads", I mean everything. They should even check to make sure they've got on their cups.

foreverfree

Mentor
Riddlewire said:
foreverfree said:
Riddlewire and Tough J., how about testing them in *helmets* as well as pads?

John
I had hoped that that was implicit in my post. I'm not in the habit of saying "uniform". When I say "pads", I mean everything. They should even check to make sure they've got on their cups.

IOW, like a squads first workout in "full pads" in training camp. I see now. My bad.
smiley9.gif
My apologies.

John

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
From Rotoworld: Patriots tight ends coach Shane Waldron worked out Cincinnati DE/TE Connor Barwin earlier in the week.

<DIV =s_pNewsTextMain>New England would be a nice fit as Barwin is most often compared to long time Patriot Mike Vrabel for his versatility and pass rush skills. With three second-round picks, the Pats are in prime position to pull the trigger on Barwin.
<DIV =s_pNewsTextMain>
<DIV =s_pNewsTextMain>New England is a good team for just about any white player to be drafted by, but I want to see Barwin stay at DE, where he has the potential to be as dominating as VandenBosch, Kerney, Allen, Kampman (who's being moved to LB), etc.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
dwid said:
now that chris wells ran in the 4.3's at his pro day dwf's are believing that is his actual speed :(

DraftDaddy once again points out the facts. the numbers that are now being reported for Wells are too ridiculous to believe.

DD.comment: Ohio State is known for having a very fast track. For the sake of comparing, here are the combine 40 times we got from an N.F.C. team for several key Buckeyes: CB Malcolm Jenkins (4.52 & 4.50), Beanie Wells (4.52 & 4.50), Brian Robiskie (4.51 & 4.56), Brian Hartline (4.52 & 4.54), James Laurinaitis (4.76 & 4.76) and Marcus Freeman (4.65 &4.71).

and to pat myself on the back a little bit...
smiley2.gif

Eric Peterman shows blazing speed at his Pro Day.

Eric Peterman pretty much expected to run a sub-4.5 time in the 40-yard dash at Northwestern's pro day on Thursday.

Maybe it was the 17 NFL scouts in attendance that were not necessarily expecting that. The Wildcats wide receiver created quite a buzz for himself afterward with times of 4.45 seconds and 4.47 seconds to go with a nifty three cone drill time of 6.58. As one source said, he could have run himself straight into the draft.

"It's kind of what I've been doing," Peterman said. "That's right at what I've been running, maybe just a little bit better."

i mentioned a while back that Peterman would run in the 4.4s, and sure enough he did. this kid has everything an NFL general manager could possibly want in a receiver, except of course black skin. that is the only possible explanation for him not getting a Combine invitation. this kid is the real deal.Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
<DIV ="s_pNewsTextMain">"New England is a good team for just about any white player to be drafted by, but I want to see Barwin stay at DE, where he has the potential to be as dominating as VandenBosch, Kerney, Allen, Kampman (who's being moved to LB), etc."
<DIV ="s_pNewsTextMain">
<DIV ="s_pNewsTextMain">
<DIV ="s_pNewsTextMain">Don, although it would be great to see Vrabel be replaced with Barwin....the Pats passed on PSU's Dan Connor 3 times in last years draft! Also, if they end up taking OSU's James L. or USC's Brian Cushing in the late 1st round...will caste guilt permit them to take Barwin as well? He did run a 4.6 40, with a 40+ vertical leap.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I would love to see Barwin get drafted by the Pats, along with James L. or Brian Cushing. I don't think the caste system would allow that though. The Patriot's defense would be that more dominating if Laurinaitas, and Barwin are allowed to start.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
That was very good research by JC on Peterman; he knows his stuff. Peterman has in fact ran around a 4.4 hand-timed before and then ran a 4.45-4.47 at his Pro-Day. Peterman would probably project at around 4.5 speed at the NFL Combine; Combine times seem to average give or take about 0.05 slower than Pro-Day times (depending on the track of course).

But what impressed me most about Peterman is his mesmerizing agility and a sub 6.6 3-Cone time. This proves how eye-popping his agility really is and you can already see it on dwid's Youtube film. Peterman plays like a 4.3 guy on the field.

I would actually be even more disappointed if Eric Peterman doesn't get a shot than Nate Swift. Swift could probably be a solid #2 WR in the NFL, but other than Collie and Hartline; Peterman has the ability to be truly great. Peterman is just a freak of nature!

Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
DT Will Johnson (6-4 1/4, 281 pounds) ran a 5.07 and 5.10 in the 40, had a 27 1/2-inch vertical, a 9-foot, 4-inch broad jump, a 4.61 short shuttle, a 7.51 three-cone drill and put up an astounding 47 bench press reps.

Those are pretty good numbers for a DT, the 47 bench press reps are amazing. He would make a perfect 3-4 DE.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Leonard fan whereis he from?

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Thanks Tough J. Anyone heard anything about Patrick Massey?? He was a DE form Michigan several years ago. I remember him being big 6'5 or 6'6 and around 280. I thought he would make a good 3-4 DE, but i havent heard much of him lately.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
John Gill DT Northwestern also had a good pro day. Here is a little bit of info:

DT John Gill (6-3 1/8, 302 pounds) ran a 4.90 and 4.95 in the 40, had a 31-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot, 1-inch broad jump, a 4.40 short shuttle, a 7.09 three-cone drill and 29 bench press lifts.

I also read in Peter King's MMQB that he was heaping praise on Hartline which is a good thing, but very suprising.