My take

M

mattgianone

I know this is redundant with castefootballers but why is is when I watch high school football highlights I see no difference between white and black athletes? Yes there are many fast shifty black athletes out there, but guess what I see just as many if not more whites that can do the same thing. I watched many plodding slow white athletic rbs like Vardell, Hoge and others who gave a position a stereotyoe but we now haved rbs like Line, McGuffie, Woodhead, among a slew of hundreds who suffer based on a bad stereotype. Why wont white coaches get some cajones and stand up for themselves. Oh wait whites standing up for themselves would be racist. I dont hate all Jews but they definetely are behind this conspiracy. Why cant the average person see this?

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
mattgianone, I'm not sure if this has been covered, if it has someone let me know, but could it be that one reason whites were phased out of alot of skill positions, is because most owners know they can get black players at a cheaper price?

You are correct though when you say theres no difference when you look at video of white athletes vs. black athletes! In fact, I see many white athletes outperforming many black athletes such as, Dalton Crossan, Braxton Berrios, to name a few. If you look at D. Crossans video no one, white or black can touch him. B. Berrios won the NUC Ultimate 100 Combine in Atlanta, over about 100 of the best black athletes in the southeast.

I know this is redundant with castefootballers but why is is when I watch high school football highlights I see no difference between white and black athletes? Yes there are many fast shifty black athletes out there, but guess what I see just as many if not more whites that can do the same thing. I watched many plodding slow white athletic rbs like Vardell, Hoge and others who gave a position a stereotyoe but we now haved rbs like Line, McGuffie, Woodhead, among a slew of hundreds who suffer based on a bad stereotype. Why wont white coaches get some cajones and stand up for themselves. Oh wait whites standing up for themselves would be racist. I dont hate all Jews but they definetely are behind this conspiracy. Why cant the average person see this?

dwid

Hall of Famer
Vardell wasn't really slow and plodding. He was pretty quick for a big guy, the problem is back then the only guys that got a chance were bulked up to block most of the time. Then when they did get the ball it was usually out of the fullback spot in the modern i formation 3 or 4 yards behind the los, no time to set up your blocks, cut or bounce it to the outside if the lane is clogged up, its just running straight ahead and getting a few yards. This is why whites got stereotyped as slow plodding straight ahead runners, misuse by coaches. Brad Muster averaged 4 ypc mostly running out of the fullback spot. The few times Vardell was used out of the tailback spot he looked like a promising runner, someone who could have had a similar career to someone like Jerome Bettis.

Im not sure about Hoge, Ive only seen him in two playoff games. They lined him up in multiple spots but his two biggest rushes were from the tailback spot in a single back set which put him over the 100 yard spot, not sure if he got many carries like this in the regular season. We are now seeing a similar thing with Gerhart, even when he got to play, there were quite a few carries where he was lined up as a fullback with Percy Harvin lined up as tailback.

Last year was really the first year we saw White guys used exclusively at the tailback spot in modern formations, Woodhead and Hillis. Alstott was the only one with a decent amount carries as a tailback, but even he was lined up as a fullback at times. Before these guys it was the old formations, split back sets 5 yards back instead of the modern 7 yards back (except in shotgun). Even Hillis was screwed his 1st couple of games when he was the Broncos rb. Shanahan was afraid to let him loose and had mostly inside zone which is pretty much straight ahead. Then against the Jets they started using more variation in the run plays and he had his breakout game.

I understand your post but there isn't any need to put White players of the past down. All of those guys weren't in ideal situations, they had to add extra weight to block most of the game for the "real" backs and then get a few quick fb dives.

Like I said I don't know about Hoge (maybe an Ironhead type role, he was no slower than LeGarrette Blount, running a 4.7) but Vardell couldve had a much better career, as well as Brad Muster. Hopefully we will see more backs at their natural positions used to their fullest ability and not ask to put on more weight.

The problem I see is our smaller scat backs are moved to slot receiver and safety, if they aren't completely ignored.

Last edited:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Vardell wasn't really slow and plodding. He was pretty quick for a big guy, the problem is back then the only guys that got a chance were bulked up to block most of the time. Then when they did get the ball it was usually out of the fullback spot in the modern i formation 3 or 4 yards behind the los, no time to set up your blocks, cut or bounce it to the outside if the lane is clogged up, its just running straight ahead and getting a few yards. This is why whites got stereotyped as slow plodding straight ahead runners, misuse by coaches. Brad Muster averaged 4 ypc mostly running out of the fullback spot. The few times Vardell was used out of the tailback spot he looked like a promising runner, someone who could have had a similar career to someone like Jerome Bettis.

Im not sure about Hoge, Ive only seen him in two playoff games. They lined him up in multiple spots but his two biggest rushes were from the tailback spot in a single back set which put him over the 100 yard spot, not sure if he got many carries like this in the regular season. We are now seeing a similar thing with Gerhart, even when he got to play, there were quite a few carries where he was lined up as a fullback with Percy Harvin lined up as tailback.

Last year was really the first year we saw White guys used exclusively at the tailback spot in modern formations, Woodhead and Hillis. Alstott was the only one with a decent amount carries as a tailback, but even he was lined up as a fullback at times. Before these guys it was the old formations, split back sets 5 yards back instead of the modern 7 yards back (except in shotgun). Even Hillis was screwed his 1st couple of games when he was the Broncos rb. Shanahan was afraid to let him loose and had mostly inside zone which is pretty much straight ahead. Then against the Jets they started using more variation in the run plays and he had his breakout game.

I understand your post but there isn't any need to put White players of the past down. All of those guys weren't in ideal situations, they had to add extra weight to block most of the game for the "real" backs and then get a few quick fb dives.

Like I said I don't know about Hoge (maybe an Ironhead type role, he was no slower than LeGarrette Blount, running a 4.7) but Vardell couldve had a much better career, as well as Brad Muster. Hopefully we will see more backs at their natural positions used to their fullest ability and not ask to put on more weight.

The problem I see is our smaller scat backs are moved to slot receiver and safety.

Well said. Hillis and Woodhead were the first White RBs to be used correctly since John Riggins' career was winding down, and we know how many injuries it took for Hillis to get an opportunity, and what Woodhead went through before New England gave him a chance.

Vardell's career was sidetracked by having a blown out knee at the beginning of his third season in 1994. He was never the same, which is a shame because he had 644 yards rushing his second season in 1993, and no less an authority on running than O.J. Simpson said during a broadcast that year that Vardell had Pro Bowl talent.

Hoge was pretty good but not great. He played at his best during playoff games; too bad he didn't have the same intensity during the regular season because he might have been a thousand yard rusher. He was the featured back in games, but generally shared carries with Tim Worley and others when he was being used quite a bit from 1988 to 1991. Bill Cowher replaced Chuck Noll for the '92 season and promptly moved to Hoge to blocking fullback, thus ending his days of running the ball.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
How quickly you guys forget! Tommy Vardell was faster than Hillis, Gerhart and alot of other running backs. This is taken from the 4 page article that Sports Illustrated did on him.

Vardell's numbers support that contention. When he held two workouts at Stanford last month, 26 of the 28 NFL teams came to look. What the scouts saw made them blink in unison. Mainly, they saw speed. There had been suspicions that Vardell might be too slow, but then he clocked a blazing 4.48 for the 40. Afterward one scout told him, "Son, you have moved up with the group that can run." Everything he did during those two workouts—lifting, broad jump, shuttle run, vertical jump—was at the top of the charts.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
"I don't hate all Jews but they definitely are behind this conspiracy. Why cant the average person see this?"

I hear this theme a lot on the forum. Yes there were a lot of Jews involved in the financial corruption Ponzi schemes in the metropolitan area. Yes, there are a lot of Jewish lawyers (ACLU types) and judges that are destroying America with CM decisions and double standard hypocrisy. I don't see the same in Canada and the Jews are better assimilated here.

It may be the American culture, media and the will to keep having more, more and more that has corrupted Jews in the NY and California geographical areas and they are able to capitalize on it because of the tendency I've noticed of Jews to be intelligent.

Of course there is the problem with Jewish anger over Christ who said "the only way to the father is through me" this means that Jews would have to either accept Christ in life or during judgment to enter heaven. Distaste for this message and Jesus coming to the earth as a Jew and telling them where they were wrong maybe causing anger in them from hurt pride.

You have to remember though that the leader of Fox news is a conservative Australian Jew (Rupert Murdoch) albeit unfortunately a neo-con. Ted Turner, John Paul Stevens, Michael Moore, Obama etc. aren't Jewish.

One of the greatest Americans I have read about Henri Landwirth is Jewish and has spent his later life caring for the disabled and terminally ill by giving them the time of their life in Disney World. So I'm glad you said you don't hate all Jews.

After moving to NJ, I was able to see where the American anger at Jews comes from on this forum so I don't often speak out about this issue, but I wish people on this forum would bring up exceptions to the stereotypes more as I think of this site's purpose being for defeating stereotypes of whites.

It's not all Jews, but a lot of the Jews in power in America and certain types of Jews. Jeremy Crabtree of Rivals.com isn't Jewish, neither are the pathetic Rooney's of the Steelers not all the enemies in this fight are Jewish and it's the "Christians" like Pete Carroll that are the bigger hypocrites by being traitors to their own!

Last edited:

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
How quickly you guys forget! Tommy Vardell was faster than Hillis, Gerhart and alot of other running backs. This is taken from the 4 page article that Sports Illustrated did on him.

Vardell's numbers support that contention. When he held two workouts at Stanford last month, 26 of the 28 NFL teams came to look. What the scouts saw made them blink in unison. Mainly, they saw speed. There had been suspicions that Vardell might be too slow, but then he clocked a blazing 4.48 for the 40. Afterward one scout told him, "Son, you have moved up with the group that can run." Everything he did during those two workouts—lifting, broad jump, shuttle run, vertical jump—was at the top of the charts.

Gerhart's 40 time was 4.48 coming out of H.S. His best reported hand time was 4.43. His reported handtime range of 4.50-4.61 at the NFL combine is on a traditionally slow track. I've heard the comparisons in style of Gerhart to Vardell a lot when Gerhart declared for the draft (and they have similar size/ speed ratios). I'm thinking there maybe some truth to this. Would you say this is so Don?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
"I don't hate all Jews but they definitely are behind this conspiracy. Why cant the average person see this?"

I hear this sentiment a lot on the forum. Yes there were a lot of Jews involved in the financial corruption Ponzi schemes in the metropolitan area. Yes, there are a lot of Jewish lawyers (ACLU types) and judges that are destroying America with CM decisions and double standard hypocrisy. I don't see the same in Canada and the Jews are better assimilated here.

It may be the American culture, media and the will to keep having more, more and more that has corrupted Jews in the NY and California geographical areas and they are able to capitalize on it because of the tendency I've noticed of Jews to be intelligent.

Of course there is the problem with Jewish anger over Christ who said "the only way to the father is through me" this means that Jews would have to either accept Christ in life or during judgment to enter heaven. Distaste for this message and Jesus coming to the earth as a Jew and telling them where they were wrong maybe causing anger in them from hurt pride.

You have to remember though that the leader of Fox news is a conservative Australian Jew (Rupert Murdoch) albeit unfortunately a neo-con. Ted Turner, John Paul Stevens, Michael Moore, Obama etc. aren't Jewish.

One of the greatest Americans I have read about Henri Landwirth is Jewish and has spent his later life caring for the disabled and terminally ill by giving them the time of their life in Disney World. So I'm glad you said you don't hate all Jews.

After moving to NJ, I was able to see where the American anger at Jews comes from on this forum so I don't often speak out about this issue, but I wish people on this forum would bring up exceptions to the stereotypes more as I think of this site's purpose being for defeating stereotypes of whites.

It's not all Jews, but a lot of the Jews in power in America and certain types of Jews. Jeremy Crabtree of Rivals.com isn't Jewish, neither are the pathetic Rooney's of the Steelers not all the enemies in this fight are Jewish and it's the "Christians" like Pete Carroll that are the bigger hypocrites by being traitors to their own!

Very curious that the highlighted quote from the op is the same poster who in a Happy Hour thread calls anyone who doesn't accept the government's official story of what happened on 9/11 and who believes there was Zionist involvement "paranoid, small-minded people," and "complete morons" who should "go hide in your bomb shelter."

In reality the Caste System is a lot about racial stereotyping, racial slotting, pandering, affirmative action, and just plain inertia because "it's just the way things are" and few Americans are capable of thinking or observing outside the box. Referring to it simply as a "Jewish conspiracy" is reminiscent of "paranoid, small-minded people."

dwid

Hall of Famer
Gerhart's 40 time was 4.48 coming out of H.S. His best reported hand time was 4.43. His reported handtime range of 4.50-4.61 at the NFL combine is on a traditionally slow track. I've heard the comparisons in style of Gerhart to Vardell a lot when Gerhart declared for the draft (and they have similar size/ speed ratios). I'm thinking there maybe some truth to this. Would you say this is so Don?

Personally I would say they run different although there are a few similarities, but I haven't seen footage of Vardell in college and there isn't much of Toby in the pros. Here is some footage

Tommy Vardell - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_PB9xvGOSs Vardell had a good initial burst, like at 18 seconds where he gets open field his initial burst is great. Kind of reminds me more of Hillis, although its late and it could be the Browns jersey and similar numbers

Toby Gerhart Stanford http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXyTCJ2yTP8

Toby Gerhart Vikings http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MW6B03KUbs
Toby looks like he got much quicker, he seemed like more of a long strider when at Stanford but he just seems to move quicker in the pros.

Heres one of Hoge in the playoffs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLeLN91G4zk

Last edited: