Mike Hass

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
There are a lot of All-America teams selected each year. I was justlooking at the website of College Football News and their All-America team includes Samardzija, but left off Mike Hass, and Garrett Mills only made fourth team at TE. What kind ofnonsense is that?

[url]http://collegefootballnews.com/2005/Features/All_America_Off ense.htm[/url]

whiteCB

Master
Don't worry Hass made the All American team that counts, AP All American 1st team. I can't believe the writers picked Hass but at least they finally got something right.

KG2422

Mentor
I wanted to use this thread rather than the "doomed" thread because I don't think he is doomed. The word out of Saints training camp is that Hass has been the most impressive draftee so far.
smiley20.gif

From the News Star in Monroe, Louisiana:
Oregon State to Orleans: Sixth-round draft choice Mike Hass, a wide receiver from Oregon State, has been impressive through four practices. He won the Biletnikoff Award last season as the top receiver in college football.

"You're seeing a guy who when you throw to him he catches the football," Payton said. "As a receiver, the one thing you have to be able to do is catch and we expect them to do that. We expect them to block. He's done a good job so far."

[url]http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200605 15/SPORTS/605150329/1006[/url]

From neworleansprofootball.com:
Payton also gave some rare praise - in Parcells style - for some rookies: "A couple of these young linemen have done a pretty good job I think, Jahri Evans and Zach Strief. [Mike] Hass is catching everything that's thrown to him, so that's encouraging.

And:WR Mike Hass, who has had one of the consensus best performances so far, will miss Monday's practice as NFL rules do not allow him to practice with his team before his school lets out.

http://www.neworleansprofootball.com/051406minicamp.html

Edited by: KG2422

whiteCB

Master
I'm liking the new #18 jersey Hass is sporting. Good news to see the coach praise Hass so much like he did. I too believe that Hass is not doomed but to play a lot this year sh*t is going to have to happen. Horn and Stallworth will be the starters because they're vets and the team has too much money invested into them for them not to start. Horn is a good WR but Stallworth is simply you typical overrated black player who never performs up to par. Hopefully Hass or Chase Lyman will prove to the coaches that they're better and the team doesn't need to keep overrated Donte.

G

I also think Hass will be a sucess at this level. Those are some encouraging words and he is just going out and doing his thing proving everyone wrong AGAIN. This is one player I will follow throughout his career and is already my favorite nfl player. I completely agree about Stallworth...every year all the experts tout as his breakout year and I do not think he has posted numbers anywhere worthy of where he was drafted. But he gets the mediocre black reciever treatment. Im hoping Lyman catches on too and stays healthy...he is really an intriguing prospect. My guess is the Saints will keep wrs...Horn,Stallworth,Micheal Lewis, Chris Horn,Mike Hass and Chase Lyman...maybe im a bit optimistic having 3 white wrs on one team but it would be nice.

pittbc7,

I don't know if three White recievers on a team like the Saints is such a good idea. Have you seen the racial make-up of that team lately? The last time I saw them play this past season, I swore I was watching Grambling University out there on the field.

But in all seriousness, three talented, White recievers walking into an almost all-balck, locker-room environment like that is going to be awkward and hostile. You know they're NOT going ot recieve fair treatment right off the bat, its a given. And as soon as one of them starts to shine, the black recievers are going to bitch to the coaching staff, and then its all over.

If it were up to me, I would send these three to either New England, Atlanta, or St. Louis. The Pats and the Rams are definitely White-friendly teams, and over the past few years, the Falcons have become more and more White as well (lots of White Lineman there, plus Finneran is, at least in my opinion, a big-time reciever now). Bottom line: Any of these three teams would be at least a tolerable environment for them.

Deus Vult

Mentor
With a new coaching staff in New Orleans, the locker room culture may change -- at least insofar as what the coaches tolerate. The Haslett regime was one in which the animals ran the zoo, so to speak. Sean Payton needs to make his mark by declaring ownership of the locker room.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
I'm sure Payton will have more control because most of the coaches from the Parcells tree do... hopefully he givess Hass a chance to play.