Memory Lane

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Highwayman said: Gimme five Don Bebee's and I could rule the world.

I agree. He was an unreal competitor and as fast as greased lightning. I remember that Lett "almost" play. I was laughing my head off at that idiot Lett, who thought he would start celebrating as he ran out of steam around the 20 yard line. I knew Don would run him down and knock the ball out just to spite him and knock his monumental ego down a notch. Lett was overrated and overweight. He's just one of the reasons I hated the Cowboys beginning in 1990. The main reason being that they fired "the coach" Tom Landry. I haven't liked the boys since.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Highwayman, I agree with you on this one but Beebe only played in five Super Bowls. The Emperor deactivated him right before the Denver game to make room for another lineman he thought might be needed. Must have been a huge disappointment to Don.

surfsider

Guru
My favorite Leon Lett play was his attempt to "recover" a missed field goal attempt by the Dolphins. I believe it was a Thnaksgiving game. Miami got another shot at it and won.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yep, surfsider, Leon always was a huge Lettdown! I really like to laugh at guys like him who do something stupid. Their arrogance makes it so easy to do.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Bryce Paup, was a linebacker/defensive end for the Packers, always played well, lots of sacks and tackles. He left the team to play with Buffalo who of course paid him more than the increasingly Caste System Packersthought he was worth. I remember one game he had two or three sacks and made great plays.Talk show hostsas usual minimized his performance saying the credit should go to Reggie White who at times was doublle teamed, allowing Paup to roam free. Sounds good to the average Joe, except for the fact Paup would have done welleven if Pee Wee Hermantook Reggie's spot.

He then goes to Buffalo plays like a wild man and wins the defensive player of the year award in 1995. Frank Giffford raved over him during a Monday night telecast saying he was all over the field making plays. He was great until a groin injury did him in. Was probably the last white guy to win the award.

Snip: Paup's first year with the Bills was the stuff made of legends. In the third game, he sacked Colts quarterback Jim Harbaugh three times, had 14 tackles and forced two fumbles. That effort earned him the first of two AFC Defensive Player of the Week Awards. He was also later selected as November's AFC Player of the Month.

With a career-high and league-leading 17.5 sacks to go along with 126 tackles, Paup was named as the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year.

G

I always thought that trev alberts, the nebraska all american pass rushing linebacker would be the next bryce paup but to no avail. He was a complete bust(some injuries) and has had much more success on espn as a commentator than in the nfl.A shame though,he had all the athleticism he could have needed.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Found this item about Lett and Beebe at Wikipedia. The situation perfectly deineates the racial elements we speak of.

in the fourth quarter of Super Bowl XXVII, Cowboys defensive tackle Leon Lett recovered a fumble and was preparing to return it for a touchdown. Lett began celebrating prematurely, and though the Bills were down 52-17 at the time, a relentless Beebe streaked across the field and knocked the ball out of Lett's hands, preventing the touchdown, and regaining possession of the ball on the touchback. Beebe also caught a 40 yard Touchdown from Frank Reich earlier in the game.

Don Beebe was a member of all four Bills Super Bowl teams from 1990-94, and played for the Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers of 1996.

He now operates "Don Beebe's House of Speed," where he trains athletes. During his career, he ran a 4.3 40-yard dash in full pads, and was considered the fastest white player, if not fastest player, in the NFL when he played.

One of my favorite Detroit Lions was Jeff Chadwick, who played here in
the 1980s. Plus, like current fan favorite Lions receiver Dave Kircus,
Chadwick was a local small college star at Grand Valley State. If Jeff
had played with Barry Sanders, he might have had some better #s -- like
Scott Mitchell's career year when the Lions had three 1,000-yard
receivers. As it was, Chadwick was the Lions' leading receiver in 1986,
gaining nearly 1,000 yards despite a horrific running game, the "James
Gang" (Garry and James) and Eric Hipple at quarterback.

Chris Spielman is by far the best player the Lions have had in the
years I've watched them, second overall only to Barry. Doug English was
a very good D lineman in the early 80s.

Edited by: GreatLakeState

Welcome to the board, GreatLakeState. I remember Chadwick. He had great hands. Kircus looks doomed, if he ever gets a chance it'll most likely be with another team.

The Lions made a great pick last year in Teddy Lehman. He may be end up being as good as Spielman if not better.