Mcnabb

cxt7

Guru
Now the media comes out with a story about Mcnabb being ill during the game , they say he was to sick to run the no huddle and call plays. The media is just trying to make excusses for his poor play. I feel if he was that sick then he should have taken himself out of the game. He must have had to much soup at halftime. Edited by: cxt7

speedster

Mentor
Poor McNabb.Hank Fraley said he fought to the end.What a warrior.There's your ready made excuse because if Donny was healthy,there is no doubt the Iggles would have won.But then again that's what you get with a running QB who scrambles aroung in the pocket with no clue of what's going on.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
You guys hit it head on about McAverage. He's overhyped and over-rated. Stats mean nothing when your not really a leader. Team play with a leader will beat individualism when it matters every time.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Even if we grant this story credence, McNabb must have been mentally ill rather than physically ill to explain Philly's clock management in the fourth quarter. I still haven't heard anything remotely approaching a plausible explanation. It's just "where was their sense of urgency" and "they'll gain from this experience." Then again, how can you explain the unexplainable?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
It's easy. They have the wrong players. They need some smart guys, and some smart coaches too. They can learn to expect this kind of thing with the type of athletes they have.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Well why didn't they mention about Brady playing with
a 103 Fever against Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship
Game.It didn't seem to bother him as they won big.Too
many excuses.A white qb/athlete would never get the
benefit of the doubt.McNabb sounds like a a burger
at McDonalds anyway.lol.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Whitelightning, he's the McAverage at McDonalds! By the way, this NFL forum is the first in Caste Football to go over 1,000 posts! Keep the new members coming in guys. Ive got two friends who I think will join.

Bart

Hall of Famer
McNabb blamed himself for the loss saying he threw three interceptions. Today he is quoted again in an AP story:

`No, I wasn't sick and no, I didn't throw up,'' McNabb said. ``If people want to use that as an excuse for why we lost, that's not the way it was, but I'll put it on my shoulders. I'll take the blame.''

He deservescriticism for his performance in the Super Bowl but I have to give him credit for accepting the blame, especially when so many snake like writers and talk show hosts are desperately trying to get him off the hook.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Bart, true enough. At least he's a man about it.

IceSpeed

Guru
Tom Brady played the game of his life in the AFC
championship game with a 103 F. fever. Being ill is not an excuse
for his McNabb's play. One should not make excuses in this
situation, but try to fix what he has done wrong.

kevin

Guru
yeah great mcnabb fought like a warrior, meanwhile on the other side tom brady was barely putting any effort into the game and still won. i think it interesting that brady cool calm and collect beat the warrior mcnabb. it really say something about brady.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Dr. Z speaks. Does this make it any clearer? Not to me:

"It was an embarrassment of riches. So many nice things written. I might occasionally treat these e-mails in cavalier fashion, but believe me, what you write about my work is deeply appreciated. Of course, someday Andrew might admit, "I just didn't have the heart to send him all the rips. Let the poor old bugger enjoy his last days in sunshine." Yes, it is indeed sunny to go through a collection such as the last batch.

"And now we get to the dark side. Philly's strange malaise just when energy was most needed. Josh Nall of Oxford, England, wonders exactly what I was wondering, and for this small achievement he is our, gasp, E-mailer of the Week! The question: "Was it Reid's fault for not telling his QB to run a two-minute drill, or was it McNabb's fault for failing to take hold of the game?"

"I read the reports of how McNabb was struggling down the stretch, how he was physically wasted, etc. And then a tiny idea started intruding. Is it possible that Reid deliberately took the fall to protect his QB, that he actually wanted things speeded up, but McNabb was just incapable of obliging? What a disturbing thought. It means that people such as your faithful narrator ripped the hell out of the coach for actually showing a certain nobility.

"So I messed around with that idea for a while. If that were the case, why, then, didn't he lift McNabb for Koy Detmer, a far lesser talent, of course, but someone at least capable of getting his team in gear? This idea was suggested by another reader (whose comments I sincerely appreciate), Uriah from Newport, Ky. He mentioned McNabb's "too-tired-to-care performance."

"Well, I think it was Reid's screw-up. It began when he butchered the clock right before halftime, and McNabb was still functional at that point. And it was someone's decision, either Reid's or his special team coach's (with his approval) to drop no one back in punt coverage at the end. Never let the ball bounce when you can help it, is what I've always heard.

"I think it was a real bad day for the coach, compounded by the miseries his quarterback suffered. How else can you account for McNabb's terrible final series? There have been hints that the QB went into the tank, bigtime, and he has a history of this. I disagree. He's had his bad games, as everyone has, but I don't think he's a choker. I still remember the tremendously courageous performance he put on against the Bucs, when the Eagles beat them in the wild-card playoff a few years ago.

"Remember that McNabb had just led his team on a long touchdown march, so he could at least make the plays, albeit too slowly. So that would have kept Reid from lifting him. He probably found out about McNabb's physical problems too late."

[url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/dr_z/02/11/mai lbag/index.html[/url]Edited by: Don Wassall

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Man, what a load! If the black guy screws up, blame it on the white coach, the white lineman, or whatever else you can find. Just don't say a black guy sucks.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Hey Don, thanks for posting the article from Dr. Z. He must have graduated from Obfuscation U. which is a highly ranked institutiontraining the finest of Caste writers.It is staffed with ex KGB, who aremasters of deception, skullduggery and disinformation. I read the article three times, took a couple aspirins for the headache it causedthen took a brief nap.

I starting reading again but this time scanned it first with my BS meter. Oh, my god a red zone alert...Chernobyl like numbers. With this knowledge I was able to cut through the mind numbing verbiage to see the truth. It's All Andy Reid's fault! Read below:

Dr.Z: I think it was a real bad day for the coach, compounded by the miseries his quarterback suffered.

Bart: Of course it was a bad day, his QB was McNabb not Brady. And what miseries did McNabb suffer? He is the one who turned the ball over several times. Joe Kapp threw better spirals for goodness sake. There was misery in Philadelphia, those poor fans witnessed the worst clock management and hurry up drill in the history of football. No, Donovan didn't suffer miseries... he was miserable.

Dr.Z: How else can you account forMcNabb's terrible final series?

Bart: You can't account for it and never will if you look away from #5.Come on Dr.Z. who ya trying to kid?

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Cheap shot at Joe Kapp!

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Look he could even throw underhand!

Kapp20view.jpg

Can McNabb match this?

He is the only quarterback to lead teams to the Rose Bowl, the Canadian Football League's Grey Cup and the Super Bowl. He was the last quarterback to throw 7 touchdown passes in a single game (vs. the Baltimore Colts in 1969.) He was the leading passer and rusher on the University of California's 1958 Pacific Coast Conference championship team. He led the 1964 British Columbia Lions to their first Grey Cup title and the '69 Minnesota Vikings to their first Super Bowl, IV. In 1982, he returned to Cal as the head coach and in his first season was named Pac-10 Coach of the Year. It was a year made memorable by "The Play," the Kapp-improvised last-second five-lateral kickoff return that defeated Stanford in the Big Game. Inducted into the Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame in 2004.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Another guy I've never heard of thanks to the Caste System!

Bart

Hall of Famer
No offence intended Jaxvid. Kapp was an interesting character, the ultimate "Gamer." He had more heart than talent but what the heck. You gotta believe he gave McNabb some pointers. Found an on-line article that brings back memories. Some excerpts.

By Ed Gruver

He was called "Injun" Joe, despite the fact his heritage was a mix of Mexican and German blood, and he quarterbacked an NFL championship team, despite owning a passing arm that produced more wounded ducks than his hunter-head coach, Bud Grant, who spent pre-dawn hours squatting with a rifle in a Minneapolis duck blind.

Unlike his contemporaries, Bart Starr and John Unitas, Kapp was not a classic quarterback. While Starr and Unitas would take their patented five-step drops, survey the field, then whistle a pass through the defense, Kapp would stagger back seven steps, do a slogging, half-roll left or right, then float a pass that had more wobble than whistle.

"Ruptured ducks" was how Detroit Lion defensive tackle Alex Karras once described Kapp's passes, which in their fluttering state seemed to challenge the theory that a football is aerodynamically sound. Kapp's deliveries had more quirky movements than a Phil Niekro knuckleball, and when the Vikings played the Kansas City Chiefs in Super Bowl IV, the champions of the American Football League were slack-jawed when they got their first look at "Injun" Joe's javelin-like heaves that wobbled in the wind. Chiefs' coach Hank Stram, wired for sound, can be seen in game tapes watching Kapp's arcing passes sail high and out of bounds and remarking, "That ball looked like it had helium in it."