Mark McDonagh WR

Riddlewire

Master
ca1.jpg

Mark McDonagh
6'1" 175lbs
Riverside-Brookfield High School, Illinois

Mark is the all-time single season receptions leader in the sport of football. At any level. That includes high school, NAIA, D2, D3, FCS, FBS, NFL, AFL, XFL, UFL, etc.
This season Mark has 165 receptions for 1,492 yards and 8TD. Is that just a fluke of his offense? Partly, perhaps. But he's still the most experienced pass-catcher in high school football. He also runs the 800M for the track team.
No college scholarships and all that. You know the drill. I still had to document this accomplishment at CF.

Addendum:
Just to shed a little more light on this. From an article I found after posting:
"...an air assault which uses screen passes in place of a running game."

"Because opponents know what's coming on practically every play, execution is all-important for the Bulldogs. As McDonagh puts it, "If one block slips, the play goes away."Â￾

McDonagh, who earlier set several state records, has been double-teamed since the third game of the season."

"It's been tough," McDonagh said. "It's a lot of work to get open. In the off season, one thing I really worked on was route running.

"I've taken a couple of good shots (having his helmet knocked off). In week three against (Chicago) Robeson, I was really sick. A kid hit me in the ribs. I came out and puked. He did me a favor because I felt a lot better after that."Â￾

McDonagh tallies many of his receptions on catches near or at the line of scrimmage, leading some to criticize the legitimacy of his gaudy statistics.

"What they don't realize is that's our running game," he said. "I get tackled (sometimes) before they even throw the ball to me."Â￾

Still, he averages a solid 9.5 yards per catch despite being a marked man on every play.
McDonagh has no college scholarship offers at this time.

"Hopefully, somebody will notice my work ethic and give me a shot."Â￾
Edited by: Riddlewire

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Wow that's impressive, good find. Can't believe that this kid has no interest at all. I'm guessing no whiterivals.com or BrownieScout.com profile either since you didn't list them...What a joke! I don't know his measurables, but this kid seems to have that "it" at making guys miss after the catch, if most of his catches are right near the LOS. Teams should be looking at him as a slot WR. He's got a ridiculous number of catches so he must have reliable hands too, but I'd have to see his video to know whether he's got serious FBS potential. His best shot might be going the FCS or DII route- where he can see the field.

Riddlewire

Master
I wonder why his picture isn't showing. It was working up until right now. I'll have to upload it to a different site.

Fixed.

ToughJ.Riggins said:
I'd have to see his video to know whether he's got serious FBS potential.

I'm not sure how helpful it would be. Here is the only available video of Mark. It's from just one game. Although he did have twenty receptions. But, more importantly, the opposing team seems to have no idea how to defend such a wide spread. I suppose you can see Mark use his hands and run after the catch. It's not much of a recruiting video, though.Edited by: Riddlewire

Riddlewire

Master
UPDATE

Mark ended up at Wyoming. He was listed on their 2010 roster (as you can see here). But he's not listed on the 2011 roster. I don't believe he got a scholarship, so I'm pretty sure he was walking on in 2010, yet he was still listed. I'm hoping that he got a listing at the end of the season for his participation and that they just removed his name because he will again be a walkon in 2011 (well, I hope he wins a scholly, but that hasn't happened yet). In any case, I'm glad that he is still (seemingly) pursuing college football. He certainly has the talent to compete at the D1A level.