Marathon

Freedom

Mentor
Despite marginal hurricane weather this morining, ferocious rain and winds in the 60s-70s, the Boston Marathon is being run. I think the weather has died down a little.

I wonder why whites are so underrepresented in the marathon. It seems that a lot of adults run casually.

schajw

I'm a runner, and did a half marathon in Lincoln, NE a couple of years ago. Very few black faces, but of course, look at the part of the country I'm in. Outside Omaha, there are extremely few blacks in Nebraska. And of course, the Lincoln marathon comes right on the heels of Boston, so we wouldn't draw too many, if any, elite competitors (actually, it's quite the winnable race for anyone who runs a decent marathon time).

I suspect it's the perception that Kenyans will kick everybody's butt at 26.2.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Virtually no top flight runners enter tier two or e three marathons. Since the US has about 2 or 3 world class men they will only enter NYC, Boston or Chicago since they are the only marathons that pay anything. The kind of runner that enters the kind of marathon that you are talking about is either foreign and tier two or American and tier 3 or a weekend warrior type. I remember reading in the papers that a guy that won the Toronto marathon took the top prize and went back to Mexico to buy a farm the top prize was 15k Canadian.....
smiley36.gif
Edited by: white is right