Major Virgina Tech Shooting, 22 dead

Freedom

Mentor
I feel so guilty about posting this in Happy Hour. They've just raised it to 31 dead. This makes me support some kind of gun control.

AP
Gunman kills 30 on Virginia Tech campus

By SUE LINDSEY, Associated Press Writer 17 minutes ago

BLACKSBURG, Va. - A gunman opened fire in a Virginia Tech dorm and then, two hours later, in a classroom across campus Monday, killing at least 30 people in the deadliest shooting rampage in U.S. history, government officials told The Associated Press. The gunman was killed, bringing the death toll to 31.
ADVERTISEMENT

"Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions," said Virginia Tech president Charles Steger. "The university is shocked and indeed horrified."

It was not immediately clear whether the gunman was shot by police or took his own life. His name was not released, investigators offered no motive for the attack. It was not known if the gunman was a student.

The shootings spread panic and confusion on campus, with witnesses reporting students jumping out the windows of a classroom building to escape the gunfire. SWAT team members with helmets, flak jackets and assault rifles swarmed over the campus. Students and faculty members carried out some of the wounded themselves, without waiting for ambulances to arrive.

The massacre took place at opposite sides of the 2,600-acre campus, beginning at about 7:15 a.m. at West Ambler Johnston, a coed dormitory that houses 895 people, and continuing at least two hours later at Norris Hall, an engineering building about a half-mile away, authorities said.

Police said they were still investigating the shooting at the dorm when they got word of gunfire at the classroom building.

After the first shots were fired, students were warned to stay indoors and away from the windows. But some students said they thought the precautions had been lifted by the time the second burst of gunfire was heard, and some bitterly questioned why the gunman was able to strike a second time, two hours after the bloodshed began.

"What happened today this was ridiculous. And I don't know what happened or what was going through this guy's mind," student Jason Piatt told CNN. "But I'm pretty outraged and I'll say on the record I'm pretty outraged that someone died in a shooting in a dorm at 7 o'clock in the morning and the first e-mail about it  no mention of locking down campus, no mention of canceling classes  they just mention that they're investigating a shooting two hours later at 9:22."

He added: "That's pretty ridiculous and meanwhile, while they're sending out that e-mail, 22 more people got killed."

FBI spokesman Richard Kolko in Washington said there was no evidence to suggest it was a terrorist attack, "but all avenues will be explored."

Up until Monday, the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history was in Killeen, Texas, in 1991, when George Hennard drove his pickup into a Luby's Cafeteria and shot 23 people to death, then himself.

* Email Story
* IM Story
* Printable View

RECOMMEND THIS STORY

Recommend It:

Average (4209 votes)
4.6 stars
» Recommended Stories
Full Coverage: Virginia Tech Shootings

Off the Wires
* Gunman kills 30 on Virginia Tech campus AP, 12 minutes ago
* Shooting spree on US campus leaves at least 22 dead AFP, 16 minutes ago

Feature Articles
* Students describe panic and confusion after shooting� at CNN.com, Apr 16
* A list of deadly campus shootings AP via Yahoo! News, Apr 16

News Stories
* 32 Killed in Virginia Tech Shootings, At Least 24 Injured at The Washington Post (reg. req'd), Apr 16
* 22 dead in VT shootings at Daily Press, Apr 16

U.S. News
* Storm soaks Northeast with record rain AP
* Alleged Iraqi 'sleeper agent' convicted AP
* Padilla judge: 9/11 OK for trial mention AP
* N.J. governor undergoes more surgery AP
* Evacuees return to homes below W.Va. dam AP

Most Viewed - U.S.
* Storm soaks Northeast with record rain AP
* Statement by Virginia Tech's president AP
* A list of deadly campus shootings AP
* Jury to be picked in dungeon rape trial AP
* Northwest pilot arrested on drug charge AP

U.S. News Video

* Raw Video: Massive flooding in West Virginia AP - 13 minutes ago
* White House "Horrified" by VA. Tech shooting AP - 14 minutes ago

* Campus Shooting Caught on Camera ABC News - 33 minutes ago
* First Person: Va. Tech shooting witness AP - 59 minutes ago

Sponsored Links

( What's this? )

* Mortgage Rates Near 40-Yr Lows
$310,000 Loan for $999/mo. Think you pay too much? See new payment.
www.LowerMyBills.com
* Refinance and Save $1,000S
$150,000 Mortgage for $483/month. Compare up to 4 free quotes.
www.pickamortgage.com
* Don't Quit Your Job
Take classes online and earn your degree in one year.
www.ClassesUSA.com

Injured occupants are carried out of Norris Hall at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Va., Monday, April 16, 2007. A gunman opened fire in a dorm and classroom at Virginia Tech on Monday, killing 21 people before he was killed, police said. (AP Photo/The Roanoke Times, Alan Kim)
AP Photo: Injured occupants are carried out of Norris Hall at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Va., Monday,...

* Slideshow: Virginia Tech Shootings

Related Video
ABCNEWS.com
story image
LIVE - Virginia Tech coverage

Play video | » More ABC News Now video
ABCNEWS.com
story image
Virginia Tech Shooting

Shooting on the Virginia Tech campus leaves one dead and the shooter at large.
Play video | » More ABC News video
» Show all news video
Related

* Bush "horrified" by shooting at Virginia Tech Reuters
* A list of deadly campus shootings AP
* Statement by Virginia Tech's president AP
* Video: More from the Virginia Tech tragedy

YOU WITNESS NEWS

* Eyewitness photos from campus Flickr

View
NEWS ALERTS
alerts

Get an alert when there are new stories about:

* FBI

» More Alerts
Elsewhere on the Web
CNN.com
At least 21 shot dead at Virginia Tech
ABC News
Massacre at Virginia Tech: 29 Confirmed Dead
USATODAY.com
Police: Gunman killed 21 at Virginia Tech
Kevin Sites in the Hot Zone
Hot Zone
Journalist or activist?

After a record-setting jail term, a blogger's role is still debated.

Yahoo! - My Yahoo! - Mail
Search: Advanced
Primary Navigation

* Home
* U.S
* Business
* World
* Entertainment
* Sports
* Tech
* Politics
* Science
* Health
* Travel
* Most Popular
* Odd News
* Opinion

Copyright © 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.
Copyright © 2007 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
Questions or Comments
Privacy Policy -Terms of Service - Copyright/IP Policy - Ad Feedback

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Freedom, as tragic and disturbing as this incident is...the last thing you should want is more "gun control"!!!. The state of VA has a concealed carry law, but the Marxist, pinko President of VaTech disallowed concealed carry on campus! He's largely to blame, because if one person would have been carrying... there would have been a good chance lives could have been saved. Besides, criminals don't abide by the law (by definition) !!! "Gun Control" laws only effect law abiding citizens. Don't buy into the fraud of "gun control"...it does NOT lower firearm crimes!!! Check the statistics!

Just watch Uncle Scam leverage this to push for more infringements on our 2nd Amendment rights and further advance the Orwellian police state.You watch how demonized the 2nd Amendment will be after this episode.

***Here's a good reference article...

[url]http://www.infowars.com/articles/us/va_tech_massacre_another _gov_black_op.htm[/url]Edited by: DixieDestroyer

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Dixie makes the point I came to this thread to make myself. One armed citizen could have ended this the moment it began. The irony of one who calls himself "Freedom" arguing the case for further loss of liberty.

I don't know if any of the students thought to fight back or rush this madman, but if you follow these types of stories long enough you notice a disturbing trend: No one ever fights back. The assassin will move from one person to the next, killing them execution style and no one moves to defend themselves; not the second person line and not the twentieth in line. They wait for the arrival of their executioner.

There was an Iranian that took hostages in a bar several years ago. He had a vendetta against the U.S. (surprise, surprise) and took out his frustration on two blonde women in the bar. He sexually humiliated them, and then forced other patrons (hostages) to sodomize these women with items he brought into the bar with him. Not one of the men in this group thought to attack this Iranian and prevent such degradation. Where would a man find the will to look himself in the mirror the rest of his life after taking part in the rape and torture of an innocent person? Where is honor?

There truly are some things worse than death. Edited by: White Shogun

Freedom

Mentor
For protection, certain guns are fine. The 2nd amendment was intended for protection.
"He unloaded a whole clip into the door and was trying to demolish the door. Then he reloaded a whole clip and shot again and then he continued down the hall. - This was in Norris. " http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,266421,00.html
You don't need a gun that doesn't need to be reloaded until 20 odd shots for protection. A simple shotgun is fine to protect yourself. If someone could only purchase guns that had to be reloaded after only a couple of shots, then the killer would probably(unless he got hold of an illegal gun) be tackled when trying to reload. Edited by: Freedom

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
On ABC News they were mentioning some of these incidents, including the one in Texas where over 20 people were systematically executed in a restaurant. At least after that one the Texas legislature had the common sense to pass a conceal and carry law.

But that's a rare reaction. The far more typical one in America is to demand gun control laws and heightened security everywhere. It wouldn't surprise me to see the system endorse "locking down" colleges by forcing everyone entering campuses by vehicle to pass through guard stations, along with many more of the already ubiquitous surveillance cameras, metal detectors, etc.

Freedom

Mentor
No one needs to buy huge laser sighted guns with two mile radii to protect their home. You don't need to buy belts and belts of ammunition that the guy had bought. A simple pistol or shotgun is fine.

Who would need to fire 20 shots at a criminal to protect themselves. Only rudimentary guns should be sold to civilians. Advanced weapons should be for soldiers and cops only.

And I also think hunting with advanced guns is unsportsmanlike so certain guns shouldn't be used for hunting.

Don Wassall said:
On ABC News they were mentioning some of these incidents, including the one in Texas where over 20 people were systematically executed in a restaurant.  At least after that one the Texas legislature had the common sense to pass a conceal and carry law. 

But that's a rare reaction.  The far more typical one in America is to demand gun control laws and heightened security everywhere.  It wouldn't surprise me to see the system endorse "locking down" colleges by forcing everyone entering campuses by vehicle to pass through guard stations, along with many more of the already ubiquitous surveillance cameras, metal detectors, etc.

You can walk right onto most college campuses if you can find a parking place. Sometimes I go to a college library to do some research. I have done that at Middle Tennessee State University and also at the University of Tennessee. At UT football games there are over a 100,000 at each game. Any of them can walk all over the campus if they want to. I would kill time before the game started at the library.

This freedom will be gone very soon. Colleges will be locked down and there will be a gate you have to pass through. I wonder how they will arrange this at the University of Tennessee?

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Freedom said:
No one needs to buy huge laser sighted guns with two mile radii to protect their home. You don't need to buy belts and belts of ammunition that the guy had bought. A simple pistol or shotgun is fine.

Who would need to fire 20 shots at a criminal to protect themselves. Only rudimentary guns should be sold to civilians. Advanced weapons should be for soldiers and cops only.

And I also think hunting with advanced guns is unsportsmanlike so certain guns shouldn't be used for hunting.

Who cares what you think? You're a gun grabber, an enemy to liberty.

When the SHTF and law breaks down in this country I want more then a six shot pistol or a shotgun. I want the freedom to defend myself.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I agree only rifles and small caliber pistols should be owned by the general public. What I want is better testing for mental illness for weapons licenses. How many whack jobs have gone on to killing people when they shouldn't have any chance of getting access to firearms.

PitBull

Guru
Something strikes me as not right about the description of the shootings.
They say the guy is a jilted lover, that this is a crime of passion. But did the
guy have several guns, tons of ammo, and an ammo vest before he broke up
with his girlfriend? He chained some of the exit doors shut with chains and
probably locks. He must have scoped out the building and found the exits
beforehand, and brought chains along. This doesn't sound to me like a
crime of passion, but a carefully premeditated attack. I'm not necesarily
buying the official story. They say the guy was chinese, but some chinese
are muslim too.

Freedom

Mentor
How am I an enemy to liberty by not wanting people to own automatic weapons that wouldn't be used to protect, but just to attack?

And yeah, I agree with what was said above about the strange motives. If a guy buys lots and lots of ammo, shouldn't that arouse suspicion?
We have to depend on a military and national guard and police force at some point for protection against massive amounts of people and things, like massive riots and terrorism, which is why it is important that we make the military and police as good as possible.

Certain weapons could only be for defensive purposes when armies are invading or something. In order to have a functional society, we can't have everyone trying to build up their own army.

With the way the laws are now, it is relatively easy to get dangerous, but legal weapons from Russian mobsters. People can purchase all of these legal weapons, in illegal ways. Thugs can own all kinds of guns. If some of these weapons were illegal, the government could easily crack down on illegal arms dealing. In how many school shootings were guns purchased illegally?Edited by: Freedom

Triad

Mentor
Ironically, this email came this morning. It proves the point, again, of what happens when the good guys willingly give up their guns. Gun laws cause massacres; they don't prevent them.

Here's a thought to warm some of your hearts...
Hi Yanks, I thought you all would like to see the real figures from Down Under.
It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced
by a new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by
our own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.
The first year results are now in:
Australia-wide, homicides are up 6.2 percent,
Australia-wide, assaults are up 9.6 percent ;
Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!
In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent.
(Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not and criminals still possess their guns!)
While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since the criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.
There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the elderly, while the resident is at home.
Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in "successfully ridding Australian society of guns." You won't see this on the American evening news or hear your governor or members of the State Assembly disseminating this information.
The Australian experience speaks for itself. Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens.
Take note Americans, before it's too late!
FORWARD TO EVERYONE ON YOUR EMAIL LIST. [I DID ]
DON'T BE A MEMBER OF THE SILENT MAJORITY.
BE ONE OF THE VOCAL MINORITY WHO WON'T LET THIS HAPPEN IN THE U.S.A

Bart

Hall of Famer
Freedom said:
How am I an enemy to liberty by not wanting people to own automatic weapons that wouldn't be used to protect, but just to attack?

We have to depend on a military and national guard and police force at some point for protection against massive amounts of people and things, like massive riots and terrorism, which is why it is important that we make the military and police as good as possible.

The problem is that Mexican and Latin American gang members across the US are armed to the teeth with some very impressive stuff. As far as I know, the Blacks haven't been disarming themselves either. It's too late now to close the barn door. I am not going to hand over my guns to the government and ask them to protect me. I'd hate to be caught in the middle of a riot situation in LA or Detroit and have to wait for the cops. Those African-American law enforcement officers in Nawluns were right on top of things though. I would feel safe knowing they would be there in a jiffy to save my bacon from looting , rioting, shooting hordes of Negroes. I must give credit where it is due. The government did a bang up job delivering those women and children from the hands of David Koresh at Waco.

Freedom

Mentor
I bet most of those gang members are cowards. If they were robbing a place and someone fired with a rifle, I don't think that they'd engage to steal a TV or something. Are they really willing to die to be thugs? They might be willing to die in rival gang fights, but for a robbery? Plus if they hold their guns sideways, how accurate could they be? I think a rifle would be sufficient for protection even if they have better weapons. As for cities like New Orleans, if we put as much effort into our cities as we do into Iraq, we'd be okay.

What is wicked bad is that a guy was arrested for murder when he shot a burglar who was robbing his house. He was acquitted in a three hour trial, but he was arrested.
smiley7.gif
Edited by: Freedom

Triad

Mentor
Freedom said:
As for cities like New Orleans, if we put as much effort into our cities as we do into Iraq, we'd be okay.
Our efforts are getting the same results in Iraq. It's not the effort or the weapons to blame; it's the individuals.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I say the more guns you have, the better, if you know how to treat them. Safety first is a must. I also believe that more advanced weapons should be available to the public. Everyone who values their freedom and understands the direction this country is heading should have real guns, like a 50 cal.

JoeV

Guru
I go two guns that I carry with me at all times, but they don't need any ammunition.
smiley36.gif

bigunreal

Mentor
We'll all wait for more details to emerge, but from what I've heard so far, the authorities at Virginia Tech are guilty of gross negligence by basically allowing classes to proceed as usual after the first shooting. The second and more prolific shooting didn't take place until two hours after the first, meaning that there was plenty of time to evacuate and/or lock down the campus. Hopefully, this is all just the senseless act of a demented loner, and not some kind of Columbine conspiracy that will be covered up by the authorities (recently, a judge ordered investigatory records from the Columbine incident to be sealed for another twenty years). What seems to be the one constant in all these shootings is that the shooters are social outcasts who have been scarred by the whole public school experience. While this tragedy took place at a college, there is little doubt in my mind that the shooter's capacity to commit such a violent act was nurtured during his years in middle school and high school. Maybe eventually there will be a movement to truly reform the ridiculous social system in all middle and high schools, which can truly be categorized as a caste system in its own right. Something is very wrong with a compulsory system that permits a tiny group of kids to become real celebrities in each school, and an equally small group of kids to be constantly harrassed and humiliated, while the vast majority of kids drift aimlessly from class to class, as the audience and background players. That the whole sordid mess is overseen by a full staff of allegedly responsible adults in each school is a disgrace. What kind of adult allows a small minority of students to be emotionally tortured daily in the halls of the building they are supposedly supervising? It starts in the elementary schools, where bullies are shaped and formed, and allowed to run amok by clueless adults who somehow cannot sense their obvious presence. Sorry to get up on my soapbox, but this is one of many subjects that really set me off, because no one ever talks about the root causes of these kinds of tragedies, and instead the focus will be on the issue of gun control. Perhaps there will be a few cries of "video games made him do it" as well, but no one will ever blame the real culprit, imho, which is the social caste system in all our public schools.

G

The shooter might have been stopped after a few kills if people were allowed to carry pistols on campus.

Freedom is completely wrong. He wants to disarm everybody. That's what happened at Virginia Tech. Now everybody who obeyed the law is dead, and the one guy who did not obey the law killed them.

Rarely do shooters get far in concealed carry zones. They are often stopped after a few kills by other citizens with guns.

2002, Appalachian School of Law: Peter Odighizuwa, a student from Nigeria, killed 3 people, including the dean, and wounded 3 other people, with a .380 automatic. Student Tracy Bridges heard the shooting and got his revolver from his car. Confronting Odighizuwa as he walked out of the office, Bridges aimed his revolver at Odighizuwa and order him to surrender. Odighizuwa dropped his gun and Bridges and another student tackled him.

2007, Salt Lake City. Sulejmen Talovic, a muslim refugee from Bosnia, walked into Trolley Square Mall with a 12 gauge shotgun and a .38 revolver and began shooting. After killing 5 people and wounding 4, he turned on Ken Hammond, who was eating in the mall. Hammond immediately drew his concealed pistol and took cover behind a cinder block support column and exchanged fire with Talovic, firing 10 shots, hitting and killing the shooter.
Edited by: nevada

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
It's amazing to me that anyone can consider that MORE gun control laws are the answer, not LESS gun control. Haven't you caught on that the cities with the strictest gun control have the highest murder rates? This school did not allow ANYONE to carry a gun on campus, and that in a state that allows concealed carry!

What more can be said? If you're waiting on the police to save you, you'll be dead before they arrive.

hedgehog

Mentor
The NRA should back a lawsuit by the parents against the school for not allowing them to carry. I dont understand how they can deny people something they are legally entitled to do.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Gentlemen, it's ALL about governmental control and limiting our personal freedoms!!! Uncle Scam knows than an unarmed populace is much easier to control, and thus constantly looks to deprive Americans of their Constitutional rights while growing their scope of "power". They are constantly playing shell-games on Americans to further enpower themselves.

IMO, this appears to be another Govt black op, which is to be used as a mandate to turn schools into total prisons (metal detactors, camera banks on every corner, pat-downs, etc.). Folks, I know it's hard to initially fathom, but the Globalist Elite who control the upper echelons of our government are wicked to the core and will do absolutely anything to advance their agenda of power! BTW...for any doubters, I'd be more that happy to provide a number of examples of verified Govt black op/false flag operations over the years.

KJV1, you're damn-straight the NRA &/or GAO should sue VaTech for violating not only the 2nd Amendment but also VA's concealed carry law!
smiley7.gif

***Here's an article on the rejection of the bill to allow concealed carry on VA campuses...

[url]http://www.infowars.com/articles/2nd_amendment/va_campus_gun _bill_gets_shot_down.htm[/url]Edited by: DixieDestroyer

nhl411

Guru
Hockaday said:
Massachusetts, huh? Figures.

whats wrong with Mass., im from there and i can see that gun control doesn't appear to be the way to go...