LSU DB Craig Steltz

Deus Vult

Mentor
Doesn't Craig Steltz deserve his own thread?

All he does is make tackles, intercept passes, recover fumbles, strip balls from runners and receivers, make sacks, assist tacklers, and put bigtime hits on would-be receivers. Oh, and he plays special teams like a man possessed, and is usually in on the special teams tackles. He has blocked punts to his credit, too!

Is he a successor to John Lynch?

backrow

Hall of Famer
he's probably a successor to a long line of white special teams demons
smiley2.gif

actually after a season he's having, i'd expect him to get drafted on day one, and starting by year two or three, at the very least.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yeah, its a good thing he is playing for a winning team, unlike Tommy Z. The idea that he would just be a punt returner is ridiculous. I, for one, think Tommy could be a great WR.

JonCurtis

Agreed. Craig "Surfer Boy" Steltz the Rummel prospect and Louisiana native making an impact at local LSU. Nice. Real nice.

backrow

Hall of Famer
JonCurtis said:
Agreed. Craig "Surfer Boy" Steltz the Rummel prospect and Louisiana native making an impact at local LSU. Nice. Real nice.

he could be next big thing for Saints!

whiteCB

Master
Steltz is the real deal. I think he could be a late 1st Rd or early 2nd Rd pick. If he were black he'd be top 15 material. Craig is a great safety. You can't compare him to Lynch because Steltz is better at coverage and getting INTs. He's more like a Ed Reed.

backrow

Hall of Famer
yeah, he's a definite ballhawk. Lynch comparison is totally off target, but i guess if all white receivers fall under either McCaffrey or Chrebet mold, Lynch isn't all that bad.
i'd compare Zbikowski to Lynch, if anything, although Zbik is more athletic than John was.

JonCurtis

backrow said:
JonCurtis said:

he could be next big thing for Saints!

Then he would have to transfer to Tennessee and be a wideout that doesn't produce, or go to Georgia as a lineman who gets drafted to high, not to mention hes the wrong color for the Aint's to select in a draft, they still drunk on Reggie juice.

Deus Vult

Mentor
The Brothers Steltz try to make it two - two national championships in one family
December 5, 2007

Florida quarterback Tim Tebow (15) is stopped by LSU defender Craig Steltz (16) during thier matchup earlier this season. (Bill Haber/AP)

Related news from the Web
Latest headlines by topic:
- Sports
- Dance
- NCAA Sports
- Tim Tebow
- NCAA Football Players
- Ohio State Buckeyes NCAA Football
- NCAA Football
- The Brothers
- Ohio State University NCAA

Powered by Topix.net
By Glenn Guilbeau
gguilbeau@gannett.com

BATON ROUGE â€â€￾ Many kids who grow up LSU fans and become fathers dream of having their son play football for the Tigers.

Keith Steltz' dream came true twice, and on Jan. 7 he could double his dream of dreams if his second son wins a national championship like his brother before him.

Kevin Steltz was the starting fullback for LSU on Jan. 4, 2004, when the Tigers beat Oklahoma to win the BCS national championship in the Louisiana Superdome â€â€￾ about 15 minutes from the Steltz home in Metairie. Craig Steltz will start at strong safety on Jan. 7 when the Tigers play Ohio State for the BCS national championship in the Superdome.

"Twice in a lifetime," Keith said Tuesday. "If we win it, we might write a book about it with that title. But we need to win it first. It's been a very unique and wonderful eight years in our lives, and it happened at a time when LSU had its best years."

Keith Steltz, a former quarterback and linebacker at East Jefferson High School in a Metairie, is a superintendent of a construction company. His wife Linda Steltz is a nurse. They have two sons who are as hard working.

"First of all, to just have one son play major college football is really unbelievable," Keith said. "To have two who get to play and start and maybe each win the national championship in your hometown, it's a blessing. So many things have to happen for this to happen. It's been a phenomenal time in our lives, and it's hard for us to explain how lucky and blessed we are."

Kevin and Craig have always been doing things together, and when they're not they're doing the same thing at different times.

"We were at playgrounds just about every day for 10 years when they were young," Keith said. "Kevin might score four touchdowns in the afternoon, and Craig would score four that night."

Kevin Steltz is 24 and played fullback and on special teams for the Tigers from 2002 through 2005 after red-shirting in 2001. He had a stellar career as a fullback and linebacker at Rummel High in Metairie, but since he was only in the 5-foot-8 range there were no scholarship offers from major colleges so he walked on and started at the bottom. He made a name for himself in the weight room and on the scout team by knocking star linebackers Trev Faulk and Bradie James to their knees and eventually began playing more and more and was awarded a scholarship.

Craig Steltz is 21 and the starting strong safety for the Tigers. He was named an All-Southeastern Conference defensive back on Tuesday and is a finalist for the Thorpe Award that goes to the best defensive back in the country. He and family will be in Orlando, Fla., on Thursday for the ceremony. At 6-2 and much faster than his brother, Craig was one of the most highly recruited defensive backs in the nation out of Rummel in 2004. Both were on the same LSU team in 2004 and 2005.

"It's a dream come true," Craig Steltz said. "Kevin had the opportunity to play in the Sugar Bowl and win a national championship. I had the opportunity to be at that game and watch it. It's a tremendous feeling now for me to have an opportunity to go back home and play in front of your family and friends and play in your hometown for a national title."

Kevin and his wife of six months Candice will be in the dome with Keith and Linda watching Craig. Four years before it was Craig as a senior at Rummel in that seat with his uncle Ricky Couget and Keith and Linda.

"This is icing on the cake," said Kevin Steltz, who works in medical sales. "For him to be able to watch me win the national championship, and now I get to do the same thing if they can pull it out. I'm so glad it worked out for him this way. We always thought it might. We couldn't ask for anything better."

And Craig did not think it was going to happen back on Nov. 23 when the Tigers were upset by unranked Arkansas 50-48 in triple overtime in Tiger Stadium.

"I did think it was over. A lot of guys did," Steltz said. "It was a different feeling walking around here. But we knew we still had a chance if we beat Tennessee. The other teams (Missouri and West Virginia) lost, and it all worked out. I thought it was something crazy and out of this world that had to happen. I'v never seen something crazy happen like this. It's tremendous, awesome. It's been a crazy season. And now me and my brother could be national champions."

On Jan. 7, Steltz will look in the Superdome stands behind the LSU bench and find his brother. This time Craig will be wearing the helmet.

"For some reason, I thought about this happening my freshman year here," Steltz said. "I remember just looking down the road and I said, 'Hey man, the big dance is going to be in New Orleans my senior year. There would be nothing more special - two brothers who could be national champions.'"

Uncle Ricky was the first to do the math four years ago.

"I told Craig after we beat Oklahoma, 'See you out here in four years,'" Couget said. "I've been saying that all along. It's the impossible dream. I mean, you can't script things like this."

http://www.lsubeat.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071205/S PORTS0202/712050315

©Gannett Louisiana Newspapers
December 5, 2007

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
That is great to see! I wonder what the second and third team looks like, as I haven't seen the names yet.

Deus Vult

Mentor
http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/12876957.html?showAll =y&c=y

Steltz aims to end season with title

by SCOTT RABALAIS
Advocate sportswriter
Published: Dec 28, 2007 - Page: 1C

Before the season began, Glenn Dorsey was already everybody's All-American.

Craig Steltz? The senior safety with the flowing blonde locks, the one many call LSU's "surfer dude" though he hails from that surfing capital of Kenner was simply Jessie Daniels' replacement at strong safety.

Turns out, Steltz was the 2007 Tigers' version of free safety LaRon Landry, a first-round draft pick of the Washington Redskins.

Who would have guessed that LSU would have an All-American safety two seasons in a row? But here was Steltz, leading the Tigers with 97 tackles this season and ranking as one of the nation's leaders with six interceptions, making All-American team after All-American team.

He earned honors from six in all â€â€￾ Associated Press, Walter Camp, ESPN, CBSsports.com, CNNSI.com and Rivals. com â€â€￾ and was one of three finalists for the Jim Thorpe Award given annually to the nation's best defensive back.

In a way, the fast-talking, hard-hitting Steltz admitted he's been taken aback by all the accolades.

"There's been a lot of hard work going in it, through the summer and in camp," Steltz said. "It's just going out there and playing. My dad always says, 'Go out there and have fun, and don't worry about anything else.'

"It's been a blast. It's something I've done all year. Good things happen when you're having fun."

Steltz lost out on the Thorpe Award, which went to Arizona cornerback Antoine Cason. But Steltz has the greater thrill of playing for the BCS national championship in his hometown of New Orleans, Jan. 7 against Ohio State.

"It can't be any better," Steltz said. "Somebody was asking me, 'Would you like to have gone undefeated?' Our goal is still the same. Maybe it was the best thing for us. We faced a lot of adversity and it shows how we can bounce back. Not a lot of teams could come back from two triple-overtime losses."

At 11-2, No. 2-ranked LSU isn't perfect. Neither is No. 1 Ohio State (11-1).

But it could be the perfect ending for Steltz. When asked if what his greatest thrill as a college player has been, Steltz said he hopes it hasn't come yet.

"I'm hoping it'll happen on Jan. 7," he said. "I've had an opportunity play in a lot of big games with a bunch of great guys, but I'm hoping we'll come out with a victory down in New Orleans."

Steltz's trademark has been hard hits. Bone-jarring, filling-loosening body blows that frequently separate runner or receiver from the ball they are trying to possess.

"He plays safety but it's also like playing linebacker because he has to come into the box a lot," linebacker Ali Highsmith said. "There's never any doubt in my mind him coming in and missing a tackle. He comes in, lays a hit and â€â€￾ Boom! â€â€￾ he does it. It may be amazing to ya'll, but we say, 'There goes Steltz again.' "

LSU wide receiver Early Doucet has taken some of those shots in spring practice.

"I got hit a few times by him and I got a slight headache," he said. "I can imagine those (opposing) guys getting hit by him. I wouldn't imagine they'd want to get hit by him again."

Steltz is hoping to continue a legacy started by his older brother Kevin, a starting fullback for three years who was a part of LSU's 2003 BCS championship team.

"He's even happier for us to go back," Steltz said. "As a brother, he wants me to experience what he did."

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
backrow said:
capt.19e30bd8090f458384bff154c559262b.ap_all_america_team_football_ny168.jpg

smiley32.gif
that's how every defense could look like.

That looks like a legit D, 6 whites on the 1st team college defense! Jordy Nelson runner up for the Biletnikoff! More Division one white HBs are getting carries than any time in the last 10 years I can remember. Jacob Hester is the starting HB for the likely BCS champions this year with McGuffie on the way next for Michigan. I predict Jake Sharp gets the majority of hand offs next year for Kansas after waiting his turn. Jared Allen Sack leader in the NFL. Three white receivers over 1000 yds this year. I even predict Brian Leonard gets utilized more as a backup HB next year when they realize he's not a great blocker and Pittman aint that good. Maybe I'm an optimist, but things are looking up. And with Jesse Lumsden lighting the CFL on fire and Tre Smith maybe going north next year things are changing a little I can feel it! People are starting to see that white players play speaks for itself!
smiley1.gif
smiley1.gif
smiley1.gif
Rivals can only do so much to demean white players a beginning of a trend where it's acceptable to occasionally play whites at HB and WR is being set!