Konstantin Krylov 10.15 & 20.42

white lightning

Hall of Famer
It's time to start a thread for the Russian Teenager Konstantin Krylov. The kid has incredible talent and he is only 19 years of age. I do believe that he has a long, bright future ahead of him. Just want to get him some recognition as most have never seen him run. This video below is of his 10.15 race which was wind legal. It's not the best angle but it's very hard to find videos of any Russian Track Stars due to the West and their restrictions against them. Keep a close eye on this talented sprinter over the next decade! I see big things from him and he could bring back memories of the great Valeriy Borzov.

10.15 :ole:
maxres.jpg

Krylov Konstantin - 100m 10.15 - Russian record among juniors under 20

Coronavirus Athletics

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I'm pretty sure they are from the same family. Good genetics for sure helps alot. This kid can fly and he will only get better in the
coming years. Very excited to see what Konstantin Krylov can do over both the 100 and 200 meters! The All time Russian Under 20
Records Konstantin Krylov broke stood for over 30 years. Konstantin Krylov also was the fastest sprinter in all of Europe this summer
in the 2023 European Under 20 Final Rankings! Very impressive. A star in the making! :number_one:

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Vlakdimi Krylov was on this Soveit Unions Mens 4 x 100 Meters Relay Team in this video. He also ran the 100,200 and 400 meters in
his career. These guys could flat out fly. Low 38 seconds in the relay on a crappy track way back in 1987.

mqdefault.jpg

Rome 87 World Ch. 1st. Semifinal 4x100M​

CollectivoDMSR

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer

athletism-world-men-200m.webp

ATHLETISM-WORLD-MEN-200M​

Sprinter US Calvin Smith (L), Russian Vladimir Krylov (C) and French Gilles Quenehervé (R) cross the finish line of the 200m men's final, on September 3, 1987 during the Athletic World Championship, in Rome. (Photo by - / EPA / AFP) (Photo credit should read -/AFP via Getty Images)

SneakyQuick

Mentor

Sprinter US Calvin Smith (L), Russian Vladimir Krylov (C) and French Gilles Quenehervé (R) cross the finish line of the 200m men's final, on September 3, 1987 during the Athletic World Championship, in Rome. (Photo by - / EPA / AFP) (Photo credit should read -/AFP via Getty Images)
Only 1987 and two of the three podium places in the 200 meters were pale faces! Wild, I thought sprints were darker by then. Just goes to show how effective the propaganda is.

AC55

Sprinter US Calvin Smith (L), Russian Vladimir Krylov (C) and French Gilles Quenehervé (R) cross the finish line of the 200m men's final, on September 3, 1987 during the Athletic World Championship, in Rome. (Photo by - / EPA / AFP) (Photo credit should read -/AFP via Getty Ima

Vlakdimi Krylov was on this Soveit Unions Mens 4 x 100 Meters Relay Team in this video. He also ran the 100,200 and 400 meters in
his career. These guys could flat out fly. Low 38 seconds in the relay on a crappy track way back in 1987.

mqdefault.jpg

Rome 87 World Ch. 1st. Semifinal 4x100M​

CollectivoDMSR

My memory still works! Thanks for the videos.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Interesting that the Soviet Union 4 x 100 Relay Record is still held with the team with Krylov on it.

4 × 100 m relay, 38.02. Soviet Union · Aleksandr Yevgenyev · Viktor Bryzhin · Vladimir Muravyov · Vladimir Krylov, 6 September 1987, World Championship

SneakyQuick

Mentor
I’m sure that’s a very little known fact, and if it were known by dwf’s it would probably be assumed they were using PEDS.

Nice tidbit!!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I’m sure that’s a very little known fact, and if it were known by dwf’s it would probably be assumed they were using PEDS.

Nice tidbit!!

His dad had to run against guys like Carl Lewis, Linford Christie and Ben Johnson and all of these guys were on it. Yes it's
probable that many of the Europeans were too but then they only started going after the whites on it and ignoring many
of the african sprinters. I could give hundreds of examples. These guys were fast from the Soviet Union and fun to watch!

This is just about Carl Lewis. All these athletes were protected which is so unfair to other sprinters just like with Johnson & Christie.
They stripped Ben Johnson of his medal but let most of them walk free and keep the money and the medals.

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Epic Interview with Konstantin Krylov

Krasnoyarsk sprinter Konstantin Krylov: “So far no one has closed the road to Paris for me”
Krasnoyarsk track and field athlete, athlete of the Sputnik Sports School Konstantin Krylov loudly declared himself in 2023. A sprinter, Krylov is only 19 years old, broke all the country's junior records, which had stood since Soviet times, and then performed excellently at the adult Russian championship, where he came second in the 100-meter dash and won the 200-meter race. Konstantin is only 0.05 seconds away from the Russian adult record, which is what he is going to aim for, as well as fulfill the Olympic standard, because Krylov sincerely believes that the road to Paris for the 2024 Summer Games is not yet closed for him.

Finish alone

— The season turned out to be breakthrough for you: victories, records. How do you perceive it yourself?

- Good, rich. There are a lot of competitions, enough victories. If we evaluate only the results, then yes, this season is the best. I had been preparing since the winter, we did a good job and before the start, it was clear that I was capable of some progress. In the summer it turned out that it was not just what it seemed, and it went just fine.

— What about the conditions for training top-level athletes in Krasnoyarsk, where summer does not last so long? Is it difficult then to move from a small arena under the open sky to the stadium?

— I would say that it is not so difficult, but rather unusual. You run around in the arena, look at the pillars, at the walls, everything flashes, it seems like you’re flying. And when you go out to the stadium, everything seems to be slowing down, and you think, why am I crawling like that, but in fact the speed does not disappear anywhere, you just don’t feel it at first in a different environment.

— What does your day consist of during the winter preparation period and during the competition period?

— In fact, the days are not particularly different in winter and during the competitive period, the load is only higher in summer. And so everything goes on as usual. Healthy sleep, three meals a day, exercise.

— You said in one of your interviews that you don’t really watch your diet: pizza, shawarma. But during competitions, do you follow a regime in this regard?

- Just the opposite. Pizza and shawarma appear during competitions; I don’t eat them at home. And when I’m in other cities, I go to a cafe and order just such food.

Maybe other young sprinters should take this on board?

- Don't think. Everyone has their own body, such food does not bother me in any way, but who knows how it will affect others.

— Which competition and which specific race would you call the best this season?

— The tournament is the Russian U23 Championship, and the race is the semi-final of the 100-meter dash, where I showed a record time of 10.15 seconds. In the final I ran a little worse - 10.17.

How far ahead of second place?

- Decent. By 0.16 seconds.

- It’s an abyss for a hundred-meter dash, but if you had an opponent breathing down your back, could you run even faster?

- Don't think. On the contrary, I feel more comfortable when I break away and finish alone, nothing and no one bothers me.

- You said that you were surprised by such seconds. And at the adult Russian championship, when you became second in the 100 meters and first in the 200, did your surprise go away?

- It's over, it's cooled down. Moreover, I wanted to run even faster than at the championship, but it didn’t work out.

Make it beautiful

— At the age of 19, you have already achieved almost everything in Russia, all that remains is to win 100 meters. I am sure that with your current progress this will not drag on, but then what? What incentives? There's still a long way to go.

— Winning one hundred meters at the national championship, breaking Russian adult records—such incentives. And then go to international competitions, show yourself there, do beautifully. So there are enough aspirations in any case.

— There’s just a problem with international starts.

- Yes it is. But I don’t finish tomorrow, I hope they will.

— The fastest girl in the country, Kristina Makarenko, who also competes for the Krasnoyarsk Territory, probably also hoped at your age that they would. She is now 26 years old. I watched a report about one of the national championships, which she won by one wicket, and there, after a confident victory, Christina cried because she couldn’t get further, all that was left was to win here. Therefore, I’ll ask you directly, if the ban for Russian athletes continues, will you think about changing your citizenship?

— I’m not thinking about changing citizenship at all now, everything suits me. So far everything is great and interesting for me. Just yesterday I was running in juniors, and now I’m fighting for victory in adult tournaments. I see progress and growth. I strive to show even better results.

— Is there a feeling of injustice inside that a huge number of athletes from all over the planet can try to qualify for the Olympics, but you don’t have such a chance?

- Yes, I haven’t even fulfilled the Olympic standard yet. Therefore, there are no feelings or thoughts about universal injustice now. I don't worry too much about it. Sometimes I think that it would be cool to go to Paris for the Olympics, but so far no one has clearly told me that I definitely won’t get there. If I fulfill the standard, we’ll decide everything else. I have never participated in international competitions, and while here in Russia many competitions were new to me. There will be an opportunity to compete at the Olympics, somewhere else - great, but if not, it’s okay, at least for now.

— Do you follow international athletics?

- Certainly.

— When you see the 100 and 200 meter races, do you imagine yourself there? Could you compete with these monsters?

— I’m roughly estimating. It’s clear that you can’t reach the top three, but why not make it to the finals?

Coach said I did it

— The vast majority of the best sprinters are black. In your opinion, why does this happen?

“I think this happens because of their anthropometry. But my coach Sergei Sergeevich Panteleev thinks that they dominate because of their quick thinking. They process information better at this speed, which is why they can cope with it, while others cannot.

— Again, from your interview I learned that your favorite sprinter is Maurice Greene, you noted his ideal technique. The surprising thing is that his best years occurred at a time when you were not yet born. At the same time, the greatest runners, in my opinion, Usain Bolt and Michael Johnson, ran outside the technical canons and beat everyone. Maybe, in order to win, you need to be not like the others, not classically perfectly technical runners, but to find a manner that suits your body and organism?

- This is very correct. I’ll have to discuss this with the coach, it’s a good topic. Why Green? I liked the way he ran and the way he looked on the track. After all, before Bolt he was in great order.

— Is your coach Panteleev more of a dictator or a democrat?

— Often the scheme is: “Do as I say, because it’s right.” Sometimes he listens. In general, everything is under control. I can’t say that this is cool for me, but the results show that this is exactly how it should be. So the coach is really right.

— Makarenko was born in Omsk. But it also represents Krasnoyarsk. You were born and lived your whole life in our city. And you are the fastest people in the country. Why do you think so? After all, Siberia, with its long and cold winter and training conditions, is definitely not the best place for running, and yet such sprinters are born and appear here.

— It turns out that these conditions are enough that you can run a hundred meters in 10.15. I wouldn't say it's super fast, but it's ok. To run even better, other conditions may be needed, but I can’t say for sure yet whether this is so. Let's see, the coach knows better in any case. When it’s minus 30 or even 40 outside, the body doesn’t really want to run. You get out from under the blanket and go to training, somewhere overcoming yourself.

— Have you been offered to play for other regions?

- No. No one has come up with such proposals yet.

Nice and stable

— Athletics is the universally recognized queen of sports. The recent pride of sporting Russia. But for many years she was under a strict international ban. Do you think she has lost popularity during this time?

— I don’t notice that the popularity of athletics has decreased. Everything is fine with mass participation. The last Russian championship was held gracefully, I have never seen anything like it before. There were enough fans. It’s cool to run when there are a lot of people in the stands, I was even slightly shocked by it. You understand that you are running not only for yourself, people came to watch. And when there are a lot of spectators, after a victorious finish you want to celebrate in some original way, and not just run up and go to the locker room.

— You played football, but chose athletics, why? Is running more interesting than playing with a ball?

— It’s more interesting with a ball, yes, plus it’s a team sport, and I feel more comfortable in a team. But everything is really simple, I chose where it worked best. I love football, but I haven’t even played once this summer. And when I combined it, fatigue still accumulated, I missed football training more often, and over time I decided that I needed to focus on one thing.

— Interesting, you say that it’s more comfortable in a team. At the same time, you are engaged in perhaps the most selfish type of athletics, which stands apart. Often it is the sprinters who get the most fame and attention. Unless something completely extraordinary happens in other species.

— I wouldn’t call myself an egoist. It’s nice, of course, to be in the spotlight, but I don’t really think about it and don’t bother. We also have teamwork in conjunction with the coach: what we have trained, I then show.

— How do you prepare yourself for competitions morally?

“We need to wake up with a bright head on the day of the start.” Be sure to have breakfast, take a shower, warm up well, move around and concentrate as much as possible on the distance. Everything is as usual, in general. I’m psyching myself up, of course, but I’m not pushing myself too hard.

—Where do you see yourself in ten years?

— I would like to become a top sprinter, recognizable. Run at various international competitions, show good results, sign decent contracts. So that everything is pleasant and stable.

Take a break from emotions

— You talked about far from ordinary part-time jobs: cutting the grass at the cemetery, unloading animal carcasses. What now? Do you have to look for additional income or is the earnings from running enough to live on for a 19-year-old guy?

- Now there are no part-time jobs, salaries and prize money are enough. I was put on a bet even before the records and victories of two months. At first there wasn't much, but now it's normal.

- Do you live with parents?

- For now, yes.

—Aren’t you planning on going on a free voyage?

— I’m planning. I think by winter I will start an independent life.

- Do you think you're ready for it?

- Quite. My head is in the right place. I will continue to take the same responsible approach to training and life in general. In general, I can handle it.

— What starts are expected in the near future?

— Until December, training, then Christmas starts, after “Russian Winter” and the winter national championship, and then the summer season. In winter, the calendar is not so busy, but in summer there are many different starts. There is no time to be bored or relax.

— After such a crazy season, won’t it be boring to just train until December?

- You need to exhale, realize. There will be a little lack of emotions, but perhaps you need to take a break from them. There is just enough time until December.

- Do you like running?

- Certainly. First of all, this is what I do best. And secondly, I just love running. Training and competitions have not become a routine and, I hope, will not become a routine for a long time.

— You entered the math department, how did you get there?

— I took the Unified State Exam in mathematics and computer science, and it was just right for that. I liked these subjects, but at the math department I realized that the mathematics there was a little different. I fell out of love quickly, it lasted me for one semester.

- Do you run in your sleep?

“Today I played football in my dream.” And this is how I dream about running, of course, mostly before races.

— Do you connect your future with Krasnoyarsk?

— For now, I just want to live separately from my parents, but I don’t think about it further.

— You’ve already visited many cities in the country, how would you rate Krasnoyarsk?

— This is my native and beloved city. I'll give it eight out of ten.

- Why not ten?

— There should always be room for growth, I want Krasnoyarsk to become even better, more modern and more beautiful, that’s why there are eight, there is always room to grow, but I keep ten in mind.

- What do you dream about?

- Yes, everything is banal, actually. Develop in your profession. If we talk about time, I would like to reach around 9.70 seconds in the 100m.

- Do you think this is real?

— The numbers are cosmic, of course, but quite enough. Now the coach says that I am capable of running 9.85, and if I can run such a time, then 9.70 does not look fantastic.

Dossier

Konstantin Krylov, track and field athlete, sprinter, student at the Sputnik Sports School

Date and place of birth: March 11, 2004, Krasnoyarsk.

Career: I started training in athletics in 2015 at gymnasium No. 9 with the coach of the Sputnik Sports School Olga Prokopik. From 2015 to 2019, he repeatedly won in various disciplines at the all-Russian competitions “Young Spike”. In 2020 he moved to a new coach Sergei Panteleev.

Achievements: until 2023, he was many times among the prize-winners of the Russian Championship in relay races and personal distances, and already this year he made a real breakthrough, winning the 100 and 200 meters at the Russian Championship under 23 with new junior records. He also won the 60-meter distance at the national winter championship, breaking a record that had stood for 44 years. In August, he participated in the adult national championship, won the 200-meter race and became a silver medalist in the 100-meter dash. At the “Queen of Russian Sports” competition in Yekaterinburg, he also came second in the 100 and won in the 200 meters.

Source: "City News", author: Pavel Katsyn

Photo: Dmitry Shabalin

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
An early 2024 prediction. I believe at the minimum that Konstantin Krylov goes sub 10.10 and may just come close to 10.00 flat
this year outdoors. He is still a baby at only 19 years of age. For those that haven't seen it, read the article above this post!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Konstantin Krylov wins the 60 meters easily running a time of 6.64 in this video. I expect him to dip into the high 6.50's in his
next race or two. I predict he goes 6.58 or 6.59 at minimum indoors. He is a long strider so outdoors is where he excels. I can't
wait for this summer. I just hope Russia is allowed to compete again soon & especially in an Olympic year!

maxres.jpg

Konstantin Krylov top speed⚡️ #athletics #speed #running #run #60m #russia

KGHush

NWsoccerfan

Mentor
Incredible run. Some positive things to note here. He looks very relaxed. It doesn’t look like he’s straining and losing form. It also looked like he has quite a bit more in the tank. He’s definitely capable of a 6.5x.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Good news and bad news regarding the 2024 Paris Olympics and the country of Russia. Individual Track Athletes will be allowed to
compete if they qualify but under a neutral no country designation. Also no team relays sports allowed for Russia. It's amazing to me
as they haven't done this to America during all the wars in the middle east. So good news & bad news. I still hope some of them qualify
and get to go compete for the international exposure & experience. I hope Konstantin Krylov qualifies for the 100 meters in Paris.

mastermulti

Master

Krylov was 5th in this race and Pavoni 7th. The placed European was new boy Queneherve who'd been a champion cyclist beforehand. It was a great race to watch though - 6 men within a metre. I taped it live and still have it
RANKFINAL wind -0.4TIME
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
Calvin Smith (USA)
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
Gilles Quénéhervé (FRA)
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png
John Regis (GBR)
4.​
22px-Flag_of_Brazil_%281968%E2%80%931992%29.svg.png
Robson da Silva (BRA)
5.​
23px-Flag_of_the_Soviet_Union.svg.png
Vladimir Krylov (URS)
6.​
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
Floyd Heard (USA)
7.​
23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
Pierfrancesco Pavoni (ITA)
8.​
23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.png
Atlee Mahorn (CAN)

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Konstantin Krylov won the 2024 Russian Indoor National Championships. He increased his 60 meters p.b. to a 6.60! He is so
much more powerful and a way better 60 sprinter than last year. This should set him up well for the outdoors season!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Far forest
Blog

You are subscribed to this blog
8 July 2023, 17:35
The 19-year-old sprinter broke records that had stood since the times of the USSR! We talked to him
Paris 2024 Paris 2024
Russian national team Russian national team
Konstantin Krylov
Running Running
Athletics Athletics

Konstantin Krylov is now the fastest man in Russia.

Over the weekend in Yekaterinburg, he broke two national junior records that had stood since 1990. Krylov was not born yet - he was only 19.

Now national achievements under the age of 20 look like this: 100 meters - 10.15 seconds (and this is the result of the semi-finals), 200 meters - 20.42. Both results are the best in the Russian season and among adults too.

65d5e6dc6496eb794d9f0014047a2.jpeg

So that you understand the scale: Krylov is only five hundredths of a second away from the country’s record (10.10). Absolutely ordinary numbers by modern standards (now 10.10 is approximately the 70th result of the season in the world), but in Russia no one has run faster since 2006. And the first national record was set in 1986 by Nikolai Yushmanov (it was repeated in 2006 by Andrei Epishin).

Even in winter, Krylov surpassed the ancient (1979!) national junior record in the 60-meter race. Now he has all the junior achievements in the sprint and has come close to the adults.

We met the fastest teenager in the country.

How did you get the record? “I thought the electronics were broken. Nothing in the training indicated such a result.”

– After two records in Yekaterinburg, people started talking about you. Do you feel like you woke up famous?

- There is such a thing. It was funny when in the locker room or in the cafeteria people were talking about me, I stood next to me, and they did not recognize me and continued to discuss.

– Back in early June, you ran the 100-meter dash in 10.51. What happened in Yekaterinburg?

– I didn’t expect such results at all. Nothing in the training said it would be much faster than 10.50. My goal for the season was to run 10.30 - this would be enough for a junior record. And suddenly in the preliminary it was 10.22, although I didn’t really strain myself there.

At first I thought: the electronics must have broken. Either the distance was shorter than 100 meters, or the wind was blowing too strong at the back... Well, it couldn’t be otherwise! But as it turned out, everything was okay, this is really my result.

In the semi-finals I already tensed up and ran 10.15. It's a pity we couldn't add more in the finale. But I was a little slow at the start, and got tired by the end of the day.

– The next day you set a Russian record in the 200-meter dash and a very respectable 20.42. Did you sleep at night?

– I slept very well. Why be nervous, this is pure arithmetic: knowing your speed for 100 meters, you can easily calculate how long it will take you to run 200. That’s roughly what happened.

– At the competitions in Yekaterinburg there was a doping control so that your records would be counted?

– I slept very well. Why be nervous, this is pure arithmetic: knowing your speed for 100 meters, you can easily calculate how long it will take you to run 200. That’s roughly what happened.

– At the competitions in Yekaterinburg there was a doping control so that your records would be counted?

– I don’t know for sure whether there was control at the competitions, but personally no samples were taken from me. I don’t know if the result will be counted now. But in principle, I don’t bother: almost the whole season is still ahead, there will be other starts. I'll try to run even better.

– Do you know the heroes of the Russian sprint whose records you are now trying to take away?

– I met Andrey Epishin at a competition in Moscow in winter and took a photo with him. And Vladimir Krylov, who holds the 200-meter record, awarded me.
Wow, Krylov chose sprinting over football, without thinking about money

– You’re from Krasnoyarsk, which doesn’t seem to be the most athletics region. How did you end up on the track?

– My older sister was the first to start studying. And then I was brought in so that I wouldn’t be a fool at home. At first we trained at school, with a physical education teacher in a regular gym. Then Olga Mikhailovna Prokopik and I went to the “Shipovka Youth” and even became winners in the team competition. And then I ended up in the group of Sergei Sergeevich Panteleev.

– Judging by the photo, do you also play football?

– I used to play professionally, until I was 15 years old I played in the Rassvet youth team. I combined it with athletics, doing two workouts a day. But then I still had to choose, and I chose running - I prefer it.

d06f3138e47639b265eba95017251.jpeg

Krylov - fourth from left in the bottom row

– Have you ever thought that football players earn a lot of money, but in the Russian sprint there is not much money and prospects?

– I didn’t think about it. Who thinks like that at 14-15 years old? I figured out what I liked best and went there.

And to be honest, I didn’t particularly stand out in football. I was first only in general physical training: endurance, pull-ups - here, after all, the base from athletics had an effect. Even in terms of speed, there were guys faster than me. And I was an all-rounder: I ran all over the field and didn’t get tired.
“I follow the regime perfectly. The last two months." Pizza and shawarma are easy for Krylov

– What are the conditions for training in Krasnoyarsk?

– There are no problems in the summer – we work at the stadium. In winter there is an arena with 4 tracks and a straight line of about 50 meters. If you run 60 there, then you will run into the wall. The paths are narrow, but they have adjusted well.

6326cb6e14b13b266d7f7a31e3b4e.jpeg

– At the same time, you have never been to a training camp before. Why is that?

- Well, first of all, I only showed results in the winter to be invited somewhere. Secondly, I’m not alone in the group, there are other guys. If the coach and I leave, what will they do at home?

In general, I’m interested in how everything works at the training camp, I would love to go. Let's see if it can work out somehow.

– Have you thought about changing the region? A top sprinter can’t train 7 months a year in an arena where there isn’t even a track of the required length...

– I didn’t even think about it. I have a coach, a team, but I can’t take one and go somewhere. It's the same story as with fees. And there are no prerequisites that the result will stall. In such conditions, you can also progress! I am sure that if the coach feels that I am missing something, he will take some steps.

– Judging by your photos, you have grown a lot in recent years.

– Apparently, hormones, but I really feel like a different person. For the last six months my growth has stopped at 182 cm. And my weight is constantly growing, even compared to winter I have gained two kilograms. I don’t do anything special for this, I train as usual – and the muscles grow.

6ab64fe8b49ddbb7a3a6808ac5622.jpeg

Krylov - on the right

– Are you disciplined in training?

– Well, how can I say... I do high-speed work responsibly, but I don’t like all sorts of restoration things. I’m too lazy to do stretching, even though I mentally understand that it’s necessary. I eat what I want: pizza, shawarma - it’s easy. I follow the regime perfectly. The last two months, for sure. Before that, to be honest, everything was bad.

- How is that?

– I could have overslept, but my coach is strict: if he started warming up not an hour 20, but an hour 10 before training, he will scold me. But I have become more serious; lately there have been no questions.

– Does the group where you train have sparring? Is anyone close to you in terms of results?

– The nearest guy loses to me by about a second on a hundred. That's quite a lot. But it seems to me that if someone was breathing down my back, it would only be worse. And so I work calmly, without being distracted by anyone.
“We had to carry pig carcasses out of the truck. But the foreman said that we are small guys for this.” What kind of part-time job is this?

– Where do you study?

- Now - nowhere. This year I was expelled from SFU (Siberian Federal University - Sports.ru). At the Unified State Examination I took mathematics, computer science and Russian. When the time came to choose an institute, I looked where I was going and ended up at the technical faculty of Siberian Federal University. But the mathematics there is very difficult, it didn’t work for me. Kicked out after the first semester.

– What are your plans with your studies now?

– I’ll definitely apply again, but in a year. For now I have thoughts about the physical education department, but perhaps I’ll come up with something else interesting.

– You have a photo with a lawnmower on your profile. Where is this from?

e680db1a04082970cfd646106de8d.jpeg

– A couple of years ago I worked as a lawn mower at a cemetery. All my friends went to work in the summer, so I wanted to too.

The work is actually excellent. It’s not difficult, and there are a lot of stories left from there. For example, I once caught a man who was walking through graves and stealing candy. Or somehow the guy got confused and drank diesel fuel.

Last summer I also worked part-time, but as a loader. It was necessary to carry pig carcasses from the truck. But the foreman saw us and said: you guys are small. And I ended up washing the container in which the pigs were butchered.

– Do you now need to earn extra money?

- No, I have enough of everything. In Krasnoyarsk I receive a salary, normal money.
Krylov wants to go to the Olympics in Paris? Is it really possible to get there?

– You said that your favorite sprinter is Maurice Greene. Why not Usain Bolt?

– Green is the most technical, my coach often uses him as an example. Probably because he and I are about the same height and run with similar technique. Bolt is also cool, but in terms of anthropometry we are completely different.

– Are you thinking about the Olympic Games in Paris?

– I just recently looked at the standards. In principle, 10.00 in the 100-meter dash and 20.16 in the 200 are real numbers. Especially considering that there is still a whole year ahead. This, as experience shows, is a huge period.

– Do you miss international competitions?

– It’s hard to say, I’ve never been there. While I’m just starting out, it’s very interesting for me to run in Russia. But then, of course, I want to compete somewhere abroad. I really believe that I will have such an opportunity.

P.S. We contacted the All-Russian Athletics Federation. Both results of Konstantin Krylov will be presented for approval to the ARAF Presidium as new national records among athletes under 20 years old.

At the Russian Championships in Yekaterinburg there really was no competitive doping control. However, Krylov is part of RUSADA's registered testing pool and regularly takes out-of-competition tests. This should be enough to ratify the record.
“In the US, even children understand what to do on the track. And here sometimes 30-year-olds don’t understand.” Interview with the fastest girl in Russia

Photo: instagram.com/kostembonovembo; Gettyimages.ru/G. N. Lowrance/Staff; rusathletics.info

Natalya Maryanchik
Author

Translate this page

Logos5

Guru
Far forest
Blog

You are subscribed to this blog
8 July 2023, 17:35
The 19-year-old sprinter broke records that had stood since the times of the USSR! We talked to him
Paris 2024 Paris 2024
Russian national team Russian national team
Konstantin Krylov
Running Running
Athletics Athletics

Konstantin Krylov is now the fastest man in Russia.

Over the weekend in Yekaterinburg, he broke two national junior records that had stood since 1990. Krylov was not born yet - he was only 19.

Now national achievements under the age of 20 look like this: 100 meters - 10.15 seconds (and this is the result of the semi-finals), 200 meters - 20.42. Both results are the best in the Russian season and among adults too.

65d5e6dc6496eb794d9f0014047a2.jpeg

So that you understand the scale: Krylov is only five hundredths of a second away from the country’s record (10.10). Absolutely ordinary numbers by modern standards (now 10.10 is approximately the 70th result of the season in the world), but in Russia no one has run faster since 2006. And the first national record was set in 1986 by Nikolai Yushmanov (it was repeated in 2006 by Andrei Epishin).

Even in winter, Krylov surpassed the ancient (1979!) national junior record in the 60-meter race. Now he has all the junior achievements in the sprint and has come close to the adults.

We met the fastest teenager in the country.

How did you get the record? “I thought the electronics were broken. Nothing in the training indicated such a result.”

– After two records in Yekaterinburg, people started talking about you. Do you feel like you woke up famous?

- There is such a thing. It was funny when in the locker room or in the cafeteria people were talking about me, I stood next to me, and they did not recognize me and continued to discuss.

– Back in early June, you ran the 100-meter dash in 10.51. What happened in Yekaterinburg?

– I didn’t expect such results at all. Nothing in the training said it would be much faster than 10.50. My goal for the season was to run 10.30 - this would be enough for a junior record. And suddenly in the preliminary it was 10.22, although I didn’t really strain myself there.

At first I thought: the electronics must have broken. Either the distance was shorter than 100 meters, or the wind was blowing too strong at the back... Well, it couldn’t be otherwise! But as it turned out, everything was okay, this is really my result.

In the semi-finals I already tensed up and ran 10.15. It's a pity we couldn't add more in the finale. But I was a little slow at the start, and got tired by the end of the day.

– The next day you set a Russian record in the 200-meter dash and a very respectable 20.42. Did you sleep at night?

– I don’t know for sure whether there was control at the competitions, but personally no samples were taken from me. I don’t know if the result will be counted now. But in principle, I don’t bother: almost the whole season is still ahead, there will be other starts. I'll try to run even better.

– Do you know the heroes of the Russian sprint whose records you are now trying to take away?

– I met Andrey Epishin at a competition in Moscow in winter and took a photo with him. And Vladimir Krylov, who holds the 200-meter record, awarded me.
Wow, Krylov chose sprinting over football, without thinking about money

– You’re from Krasnoyarsk, which doesn’t seem to be the most athletics region. How did you end up on the track?

– My older sister was the first to start studying. And then I was brought in so that I wouldn’t be a fool at home. At first we trained at school, with a physical education teacher in a regular gym. Then Olga Mikhailovna Prokopik and I went to the “Shipovka Youth” and even became winners in the team competition. And then I ended up in the group of Sergei Sergeevich Panteleev.

– Judging by the photo, do you also play football?

– I used to play professionally, until I was 15 years old I played in the Rassvet youth team. I combined it with athletics, doing two workouts a day. But then I still had to choose, and I chose running - I prefer it.

d06f3138e47639b265eba95017251.jpeg

Krylov - fourth from left in the bottom row

– Have you ever thought that football players earn a lot of money, but in the Russian sprint there is not much money and prospects?

– I didn’t think about it. Who thinks like that at 14-15 years old? I figured out what I liked best and went there.

And to be honest, I didn’t particularly stand out in football. I was first only in general physical training: endurance, pull-ups - here, after all, the base from athletics had an effect. Even in terms of speed, there were guys faster than me. And I was an all-rounder: I ran all over the field and didn’t get tired.
“I follow the regime perfectly. The last two months." Pizza and shawarma are easy for Krylov

– What are the conditions for training in Krasnoyarsk?

– There are no problems in the summer – we work at the stadium. In winter there is an arena with 4 tracks and a straight line of about 50 meters. If you run 60 there, then you will run into the wall. The paths are narrow, but they have adjusted well.

6326cb6e14b13b266d7f7a31e3b4e.jpeg

– At the same time, you have never been to a training camp before. Why is that?

- Well, first of all, I only showed results in the winter to be invited somewhere. Secondly, I’m not alone in the group, there are other guys. If the coach and I leave, what will they do at home?

In general, I’m interested in how everything works at the training camp, I would love to go. Let's see if it can work out somehow.

– Have you thought about changing the region? A top sprinter can’t train 7 months a year in an arena where there isn’t even a track of the required length...

– I didn’t even think about it. I have a coach, a team, but I can’t take one and go somewhere. It's the same story as with fees. And there are no prerequisites that the result will stall. In such conditions, you can also progress! I am sure that if the coach feels that I am missing something, he will take some steps.

– Judging by your photos, you have grown a lot in recent years.

– Apparently, hormones, but I really feel like a different person. For the last six months my growth has stopped at 182 cm. And my weight is constantly growing, even compared to winter I have gained two kilograms. I don’t do anything special for this, I train as usual – and the muscles grow.

6ab64fe8b49ddbb7a3a6808ac5622.jpeg

Krylov - on the right

– Are you disciplined in training?

– Well, how can I say... I do high-speed work responsibly, but I don’t like all sorts of restoration things. I’m too lazy to do stretching, even though I mentally understand that it’s necessary. I eat what I want: pizza, shawarma - it’s easy. I follow the regime perfectly. The last two months, for sure. Before that, to be honest, everything was bad.

- How is that?

– I could have overslept, but my coach is strict: if he started warming up not an hour 20, but an hour 10 before training, he will scold me. But I have become more serious; lately there have been no questions.

– Does the group where you train have sparring? Is anyone close to you in terms of results?

– The nearest guy loses to me by about a second on a hundred. That's quite a lot. But it seems to me that if someone was breathing down my back, it would only be worse. And so I work calmly, without being distracted by anyone.
“We had to carry pig carcasses out of the truck. But the foreman said that we are small guys for this.” What kind of part-time job is this?

– Where do you study?

- Now - nowhere. This year I was expelled from SFU (Siberian Federal University - Sports.ru). At the Unified State Examination I took mathematics, computer science and Russian. When the time came to choose an institute, I looked where I was going and ended up at the technical faculty of Siberian Federal University. But the mathematics there is very difficult, it didn’t work for me. Kicked out after the first semester.

– What are your plans with your studies now?

– I’ll definitely apply again, but in a year. For now I have thoughts about the physical education department, but perhaps I’ll come up with something else interesting.

– You have a photo with a lawnmower on your profile. Where is this from?

e680db1a04082970cfd646106de8d.jpeg

– A couple of years ago I worked as a lawn mower at a cemetery. All my friends went to work in the summer, so I wanted to too.

The work is actually excellent. It’s not difficult, and there are a lot of stories left from there. For example, I once caught a man who was walking through graves and stealing candy. Or somehow the guy got confused and drank diesel fuel.

Last summer I also worked part-time, but as a loader. It was necessary to carry pig carcasses from the truck. But the foreman saw us and said: you guys are small. And I ended up washing the container in which the pigs were butchered.

– Do you now need to earn extra money?

- No, I have enough of everything. In Krasnoyarsk I receive a salary, normal money.
Krylov wants to go to the Olympics in Paris? Is it really possible to get there?

– You said that your favorite sprinter is Maurice Greene. Why not Usain Bolt?

– Green is the most technical, my coach often uses him as an example. Probably because he and I are about the same height and run with similar technique. Bolt is also cool, but in terms of anthropometry we are completely different.

– Are you thinking about the Olympic Games in Paris?

– I just recently looked at the standards. In principle, 10.00 in the 100-meter dash and 20.16 in the 200 are real numbers. Especially considering that there is still a whole year ahead. This, as experience shows, is a huge period.

– Do you miss international competitions?

– It’s hard to say, I’ve never been there. While I’m just starting out, it’s very interesting for me to run in Russia. But then, of course, I want to compete somewhere abroad. I really believe that I will have such an opportunity.

P.S. We contacted the All-Russian Athletics Federation. Both results of Konstantin Krylov will be presented for approval to the ARAF Presidium as new national records among athletes under 20 years old.

At the Russian Championships in Yekaterinburg there really was no competitive doping control. However, Krylov is part of RUSADA's registered testing pool and regularly takes out-of-competition tests. This should be enough to ratify the record.
“In the US, even children understand what to do on the track. And here sometimes 30-year-olds don’t understand.” Interview with the fastest girl in Russia

Photo: instagram.com/kostembonovembo; Gettyimages.ru/G. N. Lowrance/Staff; rusathletics.info

Natalya Maryanchik
Author

Translate this page
Do you believe he could hit a sub-10 soon?