Joe Theismann

sunshine

Mentor
Is it me or is Theismann a grade a jerk. By the end of the Falcons-Panthers game I got the feeling he wanted to date Vick. How many times can an annoucer say a guy is fast? Try 100. I have heard some people diss Madden here but I think Madden is very fair.Theismann on the other hand ranks near the bottom.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Sunshine, welcome to the board. Nice, informative posts.

If I had to pick the worst announcer Theismann would be it. He not only is an avid supporter of the caste system, he has a non-stop, cackling voice and much of what he says is irrelevant or just plain ridiculous.

His obligatory worshipping of Vick got me to looking through Caste Football's Media Bias archives. Here's a rather coarse one from 9/26/02:

"One of the best pandering jobs of the new season was Joe Theisman's orgasmic utterances over Michael Vick's every move in ESPN's Sunday night broadcast of the Falcons and Bengals. One wonders if Theisman would follow Vick into the bathroom and ooh and aah over the size, shape and coloring of Vick's bowel movements. Mike Patrick and grumpy Paul Maguire also eagerly backed up Theisman's hosanna of praises, and even former President Jimmy Carter was plucked into the broadcast booth to speak of the virtues of Vick's personality and playing ability. Tom Brady threw for about 160 more yards than Vick the same day, but, hey, this is Michael Vick we're talking about here. . . ."

As far as Madden, I'll give him credit for not being overly effusive in his praise of black players, but he is often downright nasty toward white ones. Bill Schroeder in particular he loved to attack on national TV.

Former white linemen (such as Madden) often seem to turn into the most anti-white announcers. Maas, Baldinger and Golic are all awful.Edited by: Don Wassall

Kaptain

Master
No doubt Dierdorf is the worst of the worst! I can't think of any good announcers. anybody else?

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Another horrible ex lineman announcer: Tony Siragusa

bigunreal

Mentor
What's really ridiculous is how several of these newer ex-jock
broadcasters all sound EXACTLY like another incredibly bad announcer,
present Lions G.M. Matt Millen. Bill Maas, Tim Green and Brian
Baldinger have the exact same voice and use identical phrases, ones
obviously learned from listening to Millen. Of course, Millen himself
tried desperately to ape Madden's bumbling, folksy style. All of these
guys, including Madden, are worthless as announcers, even when casting
aside any considerations of racial favortism (which they all must, of
course, abide by if they hope to keep their lucrative positions). I
have actually heard Madden say things like; "now, if they're gonna
watch the run, you've gotta be able to pass." To put it mildly, he is
always the master of the obvious. One other nearly incomprehensible gem
was; "they knew he was fast, but they didn't know he was as fast as
this fast." The only announcers I can tolerate at all are Troy Aikman,
Cris Collinsworth and Dick Enberg.

sunshine

Mentor
Cris Collinsworth is like Bill Walton. Goofy as all get out but for some reason I don't mind albeit there are times he will makeme wince.Aikman is not that bad.For sure I am partial to John Madden and I really respect Dr. Z of Sports Illustrated. Overall these two seasoned guys (Pat Summerall too)show a respect to players with some exceptions of course. That Sunday night crew with Theismann and Patrick etc.is horrible.Perhaps some day we can rank our personal choices for favoriteannouncers and sports writers--I am a big Rick Reilly fan--. I guess the best spot would be the media section.

Maas and Baldinger sound identical to each other. All these linemen love the big, goofy personna.

Mark Schlereth is more serious though he rarely has anything interesting to say. Howie Long is another ex-lineman who won't play the buffoon. He carries himself in a dignified manner, very rare for a white man in general much less a sports announcer

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
More drivel from the Caste-garden tool, this time in a feature called "ESPN's take" looking at the matchup between the Giants and Igles.

You have to love when division rivals get to meet again in the playoffs. And you definitely have to love it when it's teams that have the kind of rivalry that these two have. The Eagles are one of the hottest teams in the NFL, and the Giants still are trying to regain their footing after a series of injuries and poor play. Quarterback Jeff Garcia must maintain his coolness and efficiency to sustain this remarkable run he's on. He has done a great job making things happen on broken plays when he's on the run. While he's not quite in Donovan McNabb's league in terms of throwing the ball downfield, the Eagles' staff has done a wonderful job of catering to his strengths. I'd still like to see better field vision out of him because he's prone to leave plays on the field by missing open receivers. As for the Giants, they have to rely on another big day from Tiki Barber to have any shot. It's obvious that Eli Manning is simply too young and inexperienced to give them what they need at this point in his career.
-- Joe Theismann

Living in the area, I've met Joey T a few times...his restaurant was crappy, and he was an *******(and seemed to be hitting on my mom).

Between him and Kornholer, MNF on ESPN is almost unwatchable. I've had to turn on Sirius and mute the TV.

whiteCB

Master
Matt_Bowen_Fan said:
Living in the area, I've met Joey T a few times...his restaurant was crappy, and he was an *******(and seemed to be hitting on my mom).

Between him and Kornholer, MNF on ESPN is almost unwatchable. I've had to turn on Sirius and mute the TV.

I just don't watch MNF anymore. It's as simple as that.

riggo

"Maas and Baldinger sound identical to each other."

Exactly what I was thinking. They are both equally terrible!

jcolec02

Mentor
I think Frankie Trigg is the fairest when it comes to white athletes...fo course, he is a PRIDE Fighting commentator