Jermain Taylor Interview

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Fightnews.com spoke to former undisputed middleweight champion Jermain Taylor, who is training for his highly anticipated rematch with Kelly Pavlik on February 16th at the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas.

Jermain, as training camp gets underway for your rematch with Kelly Pavlik, a lot has changed since your last fight with him. Let's talk about some of those things. First off, you're back to your original amateur trainer Ozell Nelson and Emanuel Steward is gone. When we last talked, you stressed that it was a good match and too much was being made of his addition to the camp. Had you won the Pavlik fight, would Manny still be in your corner or do you feel a parting of ways was imminent, regardless of the outcome?
First I want to say there are no hard feelings between Emanuel and myself, Emanuel Steward is a Hall of Fame trainer. I learned a lot being with Manny, however it just didn't seem to click when came fight time in the corner. I don't know what you would call it, but sometimes certain fighters and trainers just don't seem to click when it's fight time.

During the WBC convention last month, it was being rumored that the fight was going to be for the title, despite your insistence that you'd never fight at 160 again. Obviously the fight is over the weight at 166 lbs. How much of an effect do you think that will have on your performance this time around, and did it have an effect last time, fighting at 160?
I have no excuses about the last fight with Kelly at 160lbs, I lost the fight. I'm very comfortable fighting Kelly at 166lbs. It's time to move up, I have been at 160lbs my whole career and don't see any problem with this fight at 166lbs.

Since this fight is over the weight, no title is at stake. You could have easily and understandably moved up in weight and gone after some other opponent. The fact that the first fight was fantastic in the minds of fans and boxing experts alike surely translates into $$$ for the rematch. Is that the motivating factor or is it purely revenge that is on your mind?
It was my first professional loss. I certainly want to revenge the loss and it gives me plenty of motivation. Any fighter with any kind of pride would feel the same way.

When you had him down in the second round, and badly hurt in your follow up flurry, he managed to survive and turn things around. Were you surprised he escaped, and to what do you attribute that?
Kelly fought a great fight and he did what he had to do to get the victory. The only thing I would attribute that to is he was determined and in great condition for the fight.

Up to the point where the fight was stopped, did you feel in complete control or was there a feeling that the tide had changed, that you were fading, or was it a sudden ending in your mind?
I felt very good in the fight, but I can't really explain anything about the tide changing or a sudden ending because it was the first time I lost and the way I lost.

It didn't seem as though anyone in your camp, including you, had a problem with referee Steve Smoger's decision to stop the fight. Some thought he could've stopped it when Pavlik was down and badly hurt. By not doing so, in hindsight, his decision gave the fans a fight for the ages. Looking back now, do you have a problem with him letting the fight go beyond the second round, or is it water under the bridge?
It's water under the bridge, like I said before, I have no excuses about the fight. Steve Smoger is a very good referee and he is known for letting a fighter have the last possible chance to get up off the floor and finish the fight.

If you are successful in the rematch, would you feel you've evened the score, closed the chapter and be content to move on in the 168 lb. division, or would you be open to a rubber match, if this fight is as exciting as the first one?
Well, I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, I'm just going to stay focused on this fight and let's just see what happens.

If Pavlik were to repeat his victory, would you chalk it up to his having your number and just move onward toward other super middles?
I'm not thinking about "ifs"..............my only thoughts are victory.

You've had another addition to your family since the last fight- a new daughter. How have the nights been with feeding and diaper duty? Is it going to be tough leaving your wife with that task while you head off to training camp?
Not really, this is our third child and my family is used to me leaving going off to training camp. It comes with the territory and my family understands that.

Bob Arum said your first fight with Pavlik was the "shot in the arm that boxing needed," and that he hadn't "seen a fight in the middleweight division like that since Hagler vs. Hearns." Despite the fact that the outcome wasn't what you banked on, do you still feel a sense of pride as a boxer to have given the fans something historic and memorable?
It was a great fight for boxing fans and that's what we do as fighters in a very dangerous profession. You give it your best, somebody's going to win and somebody's going to lose.

Though any fighter will say that they don't look beyond the fight in front of them, is it safe to say that regardless of the outcome of this fight, you'll be continuing your career at 168 lbs. In doing so, you've got to think about the division's main man, Joe Calzaghe. The fight had been talked about while you were still middleweight champ. If you work your way to a title shot and he is still champ, how do you see yourself matching up with him? Does he have any flaws on which you can capitalize?
As I mention before, I'm not going to get ahead of myself, the only fighter I'm focused on right now is Kelly Pavlik.

Would you consider fighting your former Olympic team mate, Jeff Lacy if the match was made?
No comment.

What message do you have for your fans in 2008?
I have gotten a lot of fan mail in defeat and I appreciate the fans who are still in my corner and still believe in me.

Jermain, thanks for taking the time to talk to Fightnews and best wishes in the New Year!
Thank you.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
I'll give Taylor credit, he has really buttoned his lips and isn't saying anything foolish. That is smart talk. If anything can be read from this interview it is that Taylor sounds determined and hopefull but not over confident. He fought Pavlik, we didn't. He must know something.

And that is an honest a comment as I can make.

G

I always considered Jermain a great person and true sportman. If most black idiots in the NFL were like him I would not be as irrated with that league as I am now.

The second fight will be great, however, if Kelly comes in shape and as focused the outcome will be the same, a win for Pavlik, either decision or KO.

Lastly, I really appreciate the professional and humble nature of Jermain. I wish he could beat that racist Hopkins again.

I know Taylor is a good person as opposed to most african-americans in boxing. It still suprised me when he was "talkin smack" about Kelly Pavlik because I know that was not or is not in his nature. It just is bad for him that he will be facing Pavlik again. I wish Taylor well with every other fighter except Kelly.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I don't care whether Taylor is a good person or not. I want him to get knocked out again. Just because he doesn't showboat like all the other blacks doesnt mean hes a good person.Edited by: whiteathlete33

G

Yeah, but it sure says something about his professionalism and demeanor. I regard most blacks with contempt, however, there are always exceptions to the rule. IMO Taylor is one of those few exceptions.

Most posters on this site won't lose any sleep on wheather Taylor is a good person, we are just giving an opinion that not all negro affelets are the same. To his credit he is not ashamed to marry a black woman and is devoted to his children. Every now and then you have to give credit. This being one of them.

And we all want Pavlik to dominate/KO him again.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Perhaps my post has some ambiguity to it. I am stating that Taylor is doing the right thing -the white thing if you like- by speaking in a modest and humble manner.

What I am suggesting is Taylor has realized, from fighting Pavlik, that Pavlik is a monster of an opponent and he has to be ready for him.

johnnyboy

Guru
Kukulcan said:
Yeah, but it sure says something about his professionalism and demeanor. I regard most blacks with contempt, however, there are always exceptions to the rule. IMO Taylor is one of those few exceptions.

Most posters on this site won't lose any sleep on wheather Taylor is a good person, we are just giving an opinion that not all negro affelets are the same. To his credit he is not ashamed to marry a black woman and is devoted to his children. Every now and then you have to give credit. This being one of them.

And we all want Pavlik to dominate/KO him again.

my thoughts exactly. my problem is not with all blacks. i just have a problem with the loud, hip hop, ganster wanabee types that take from this country and contribute nothing.

taylor seems like a good guy. if all blacks had his demeanor then they would be a lot more liked by the average american.

JD074

Master
I don't see how much Taylor could improve from the first fight. He fought a good fight for six rounds, and was way up on the judges' scorecards (too much so, but that's another story.) I don't see how Taylor could do much better than he did in those first six rounds, or how he could avoid Pavlik's right hand bombs any more so than he did before. I guess conditioning is the one improvement that he could make that could change the outcome for him. Perhaps he may not get quite so worn down from Pavlik's right hand, and survive long enough to win a decision. Frankly, Pavlik has more room for improvement than Taylor. He could fight even better than last time.

This is without question a dangerous fight for Pavlik. Do it again, Kelly!
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
JD074 said:
I don't see how much Taylor could improve from the first fight. He fought a good fight for six rounds, and was way up on the judges' scorecards (too much so, but that's another story.) I don't see how Taylor could do much better than he did in those first six rounds, or how he could avoid Pavlik's right hand bombs any more so than he did before. I guess conditioning is the one improvement that he could make that could change the outcome for him. Perhaps he may not get quite so worn down from Pavlik's right hand, and survive long enough to win a decision. Frankly, Pavlik has more room for improvement than Taylor. He could fight even better than last time.

smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif

Way up on the judges scorecards? What fight were you watching JD. It was close up to that point.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
JD074 said:

smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif

Way up on the judges scorecards? What fight were you watching JD. It was close up to that point.

I had Pavlik ahead by one point after 6 (Taylor two rounds + the knockdown and Pavlik 4 rounds), as did HBO's Lederman. I can understand why some people may have had Taylor ahead by one point (three rounds each and the knockdown), but there was no way Taylor was "way ahead"! And, Pavlik was clearly dominating the seventh round before he knocked out Taylor. However, the biased black boxing judge and Julie Lederman did have Taylor well ahead on their cards after 6 rounds.

Hockaday

Guru
I had Taylor ahead by one point because I have him the very close sixth based on giving the champ close rounds. I don't know when or where that tradition started, but I observe it. I think Kelly coasted a bit in those rounds, and he knows it.

Kelly's still on the way up, and Taylor is on his way down.

whiteathlete33 said:
I don't care whether Taylor is a good person or not. I want him to get knocked out again. Just because he doesn't showboat like all the other blacks doesnt mean hes a good person.

I agree on Taylor losing with Pavlik, Pavlik will take him to the deep waters. But through mutilple sources (articles, media) and relatives who live in the Little Rock area, he is a decent citizen from what I can gather. I won't go thru his life story because it can be found anywhere and it doesn't relate to castefootball in that sense. I was just stating what I had found out about him before fighting Hopkins since he lived in my parents birth city. There very well could be dirt on him but at this point, it has either yet to surface or there isn't any. I was just stating what I had found out with my due diligance. But I agree whiteathlete, it has no bearing when they get into the ring. Being a good citizen and decent person won't save Taylor from getting knocked out again.
smiley2.gif
Edited by: mrjohnnynofear

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Although Taylor does seem to be a better person than the likes of Bowe, Ibeabuchi, Tyson, Hopkins, etc., it is very important that Pavlik win this fight, because if he loses it will reinforce the false idea that blacks are naturally better fighters than whites.
smiley6.gif

By the way, since I mentioned Bernard Hopkins above, do you know he was forced into homosexual encounters with another inmate when he was in prison in his late teens? His trainer came out publicly about it, saying it still psychologically torments B-Hop all these years later. When a reporter asked Hopkins about it, he became very upset!
smiley36.gif

Maple Leaf

Mentor
With all due respect to you JD1986, I would not sneer nor mock anyone-be he black or not-that was attacked by those homosexuals in prison. Many white men have been attacked by those sick perverts in prison as well.

JD1986 said:
Although Taylor does seem to be a better person than the likes of Bowe, Ibeabuchi, Tyson, Hopkins, etc., it is very important that Pavlik win this fight, because if he loses it will reinforce the false idea that blacks are naturally better fighters than whites.
smiley6.gif

By the way, since I mentioned Bernard Hopkins above, do you know he was forced into homosexual encounters with another inmate when he was in prison in his late teens? His trainer came out publicly about it, saying it still psychologically torments B-Hop all these years later. When a reporter asked Hopkins about it, he became very upset!
smiley36.gif

I do agree it is essential for Pavlik to win. I don't see much else Jermain can do. Pavlik is coming on like a train and no one is going to derail him. It will be interesting if Pavlik does move to super-middle as his weight has been known to cause him trouble. But I will enjoy his reign at middleweight for now.

I was rooting for Taylor against Hopkins in that match. But I did hear about ol' B-hop in jail. It shouldn't happen even to an ass like Hopkins but if you don't commit the crime (or crimes in Hopkins sense), he wouldn't have been in that position (no pun intended....
smiley36.gif
)Edited by: mrjohnnynofear

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Maple Leaf said:
With all due respect to you JD1986, I would not sneer nor mock anyone-be he black or not-that was attacked by those homosexuals in prison. Many white men have been attacked by those sick perverts in prison as well.

Sorry about that. Normally I wouldn't, but since Hopkins is such an arrogant jerk and a racist, and since he's one of the dirtiest fighters I've ever seen, I couldn't resist.

I have sympathy for any white guy who's attacked by homosexuals in prison.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
I heard there is no belt at stake for this fight? Is this true?

True. Pavlik will retain all his middleweight titles, win or lose.
smiley1.gif

The fight is at 166 and will be officially a "super-middleweight" fight since it's under the 168 lb limit.

G

Thats right WA33, no title, just bragging rights. So if Pavlik loses he is still the middleweight champ. I still wonder why Taylor chose to do this and not fight at the 160 lbs. I think he got bad advice and will soon get this a.. handled to him.
smiley36.gif

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Kukulcan said:
Thats right WA33, no title, just bragging rights. So if Pavlik loses he is still the middleweight champ. I still wonder why Taylor chose to do this and not fight at the 160 lbs. I think he got bad advice and will soon get this a.. handled to him.
smiley36.gif

Taylor is hoping that not having to boil off those last 6 pounds he will gain more stamina. When fighters have to dehydrate themselves to make weight it has an effect on their stamina. It is exhausting and tiring to sweat off weight - rather than loose it from aerobic work - and it's affect is felt later in fights. What Taylor is forgeting is Pavlik, the naturally bigger man, will not have to boil off that 6 pounds either.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Kukulcan said:
I still wonder why Taylor chose to do this and not fight at the 160 lbs. I think he got bad advice and will soon get this a.. handled to him.

He does not care about the weight or stipulations. He is black, and his loss to the -Ghost - Pavlik is killing him.It must be avenged.He is walking around with a bag over his head in the hood.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Bart said:
Kukulcan said:
I still wonder why Taylor chose to do this and not fight at the 160 lbs. I think he got bad advice and will soon get this a.. handled to him.

He does not care about the weight or stipulations.  He is black, and his loss to the  - Ghost - Pavlik is killing him.  It must be avenged.He is walking around with a bag over his head in the hood.

Yes, there was a thread in the "Non-Stop Boxing" at boxingscene.com by a black poster entitled "Taylor let his people down". Taylor came on the boxingscene forum himself and told his fans that he was sorry and would take the rematch option. He later said it would be announced the next day and it was, so it really was him.

He was very humiliated at losing to a white fighter - he desperately needs to win this upcoming fight!Edited by: JD1986

Maple Leaf

Mentor
JD1986: are there any threads of white fighters asking for forgiveness from their fans? Are black posters allowed to talk about favouritism to blacks where whites are not? I don't frequent that forum so I'm curious.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Maple Leaf said:
JD1986: are there any threads of white fighters asking for forgiveness from their fans? Are black posters allowed to talk about favouritism to blacks where whites are not? I don't frequent that forum so I'm curious.

There's a double standard - it's okay for blacks to openly root for black fighters, and discredit white ones whenever they get the chance. But if whites do it, they are called racist.

However, you don't get banned at boxingscene for rooting for white boxers as quickly as you would on ESB. And as time goes on, there seems to be more and more people who's favorite fighters are white guys like Calzaghe and Pavlik.Edited by: JD1986