Jeremy Wariner

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Great articles guys.I sure hope the weather is good in Olso.If Wariner can get into the high 43 second range,that would be great.I want to also see him run at least two more deuces later this summer when he is at his peak!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Wariner won today in Olso.The weather was a little on the cold side for summer but he ran a good race.He won it in a time of 44.31!He is attempting to win the Golden League Jackpot by winning every race of the season.He's off to a good start.

freedom1

Mentor
Pre Gaz de France interview with Wariner.

" I don't fear anybody except myself ! "
17:13 - 07/07/2006 - Sophie DANGER

The young Olympic champion was very confident when we met him. He told us about his objectives, his confidence and his future before his first-time in Paris.

So Jeremy how do you feel ?
I feel good. I'm in a very good shape and an excellent condition. I already did a 44'12, a 44'3 and a 44'8 this season so I'm looking forward a less than 44 sec. performance, this week or maybe next week.

This is your objective for the season ?
I except to be consistent in the way I run, beat my personal record and be under the 44 seconds a couple of times. I also want to make more 200's, especially to improve my speed.

On what else do you focus at training?
I work a lot on my start, and my first 200 meters. I do a lot of speed training, and I think that I'm better than last year.

Michael Johnson is your agent, do you often talk about breaking the world record?
No. Me and M.J stay off the subject...And there is still a lot of things I got to learn, like being more consistent, stay under the 44 seconds, do more races...lot of things, you know.

Who is your main opponent?
Myself! I really don't fear anybody except myself. I know that if I run my race properly I can beat anyone. I'll take on anybody!

Do you remember the last time you lost?
Yes, of course. It was last year in London. But you know, even Michael Johnson could had a bad day...No one is perfect. But I can't complain because I bounced back well after this defeat.

Have you ever been to Paris?
No, it's my first time here. So I'm going to discover the "Stade de France". I already know that's it's the biggest crowd in the athletics, but, you know, once I'm in the starting blocks I forget about everything.

Do you have any plans for the future?
I'd love to be a coach! I already started in Waco. I'm a volunteer and I help out the coach, I teach the kids some stuff and I really like it! So I think that's what I'm going to do when I retire.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Wariner wins with a new p.b. by over a second over Andrew Rock.Jeremy ran a 43.91 in Paris today to literally steal the show.The crowd went crazy!Wariner is getting faster all the time.Running the deuce is helping his 400 meters.He crushed the field and looked very strong coming down the stretch.I'm so pumped up right now.I also love the fact that Rock finished 2nd even if it was quite a ways back.Congrats to the both of them.

freedom1

Mentor
Here's the report from the meet's site:

The American Jeremy Wariner flew over the men's 400M race and even indulged in the luxury of easing off before reaching the line. He improved his best season performance with a time of 43.91. It seems he will get to Michael Johnson's world record of 43.19. As for Marc Raquil, there's nothing he could do and he modestly ended 6th.

Results of 400M mens:

1 - Jeremy WARINER (EU) 43.91
2 - Andrew ROCK (EU) 45.02
3 - Tyler CHRISTOPHER(CAN) 45.16
6 - Marc RAQUIL (FRA) 45.38
7 - Leslie DJHONE (FRA) 45.44

white lightning

Hall of Famer
On the interview at the IAAF.org site,Wariner said that he could have run in the 43.7 to 43.8 range.He said he eased up over the last 10 meters or so.This guy is like the real life superman.People just can't believe that a skinny white sprinter can run that fast.So much for all of the stupid stereotypes.I want to see Jeremy break the world record so bad.Keep it up Jeremy!!
smiley32.gif

albinosprint

Mentor
JUST LOVING IT!
smiley32.gif

Xavier Carter is going to race Wariner tomorrow over the 400 in Rome.
Hopefully both will be in top form. As I mentioned in another thread, I
am suspicious of a runner dropping their 200 best so much in one shot. I
won't get into Carter's increasing 'buffness', but it will be interesting to
see how he develops, and how Wariner improves over the 200. Wariner
originally wanted to run a few 200s in Europe, so I hope he gets the
chance.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I never thought a guy would have a chance at breaking the Johnson 200 metre mark. But his 19.6 is the fastest non Johnson time ever and he is only 22. Ah the wonders of modern medicine........
smiley36.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I would hate to see this kid come out and beat Wariner.I don't see it happening but he will push him.The good thing for us is that Wariner could run in the 43.7 range if pushed hard enough.I want him to continue to break his personal bests all through the summer.I hope the weather is warm for great sprinting times.I belive A.Rock is also in the race.

albinosprint

Mentor
http://www.iaaf.org/GLE06/news/Kind=2/newsId=35295.html

link for the upcoming match. i got to say, carter seem to be a very good sport. i just hope he doesn't win
smiley17.gif
i agree that this will push Wariner. i guessing 43.8X for Wariner and 44.1X for Carter. going to be a great race!

white is right

Hall of Famer
One thing about great deuce runners they generally die in the last 100 metres. Granted Carter is a 44.5 guy who will go lower but 44.5 is a long way from 43.9........

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Wariner is going to run in the 43.7 range tommorow if the weather cooperates.I agree with white is right about Carter will be around 44.20 or so.Can you guys imagine if Wariner improved his p.b. by a half second tommorow?People would probably raise their eyebrows yet with X-Man,they just think it's normal.I would love to see both Rock and Wariner beat Carter but I do think this kid is for real along with Spearmon.I just question if he isn't on some serious breakfast of champions juice.Edited by: white lightning

freedom1

Mentor
Wariner, Rock and Brew winning gold on the 4x400 team at the next Olympics would fire up the movement.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
My morning paper's sports section has an all-too-common example of how white athletes and their accomplishments are downplayed. The AP story of the DN Galan meet in Stockholm, where Wariner broke the stadium record in the 400 with a 44.02, is titled "Sprinters Sparkle at DN Galan Meet." Wariner is given co-billing with Asafa Powell, a Jamaican who broke the stadium record in the 100. And the only photograph accompanying the article is of Powell.

Let's look at how the media works. First of all, there are no names mentioned in the headline; it doesn't read "Wariner and Powell Break Records." Just un-named "Sprinters."

Secondly, why would a non-American athlete be given equal billing with an American athlete? Who cares what a Jamaican did? Especially so because since 9/11 the government/corporate media has been whipping up pseudo-nationalism and patriotism at every opportunity.

One could argue that this is because the 100 is a "glamour" event, but get real. If a black U.S. swimmer came along who was dominating like Wariner is, who thinks that if this black swimmer and, say, a white Australian swimmer both broke records at an international meet, that the AP article about it would be called "Swimmers Sparkle at Meet" and the photograph would be of the white Australian swimmer.

Wariner should be almost as well-known and -publicized by now as was Michael Johnson -- more so really by virtue of being the first white American world champion in the 400 in 40 years -- but he is still relatively unknown except among track and field fans, many of whomremain convinced that he must bepart-black. Edited by: Don Wassall

voice

Guru
Don,

That is typical play from Media. Sickening. Period

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Wariner will shut up the stupid media soon enough.They will have to give him his moment when he breaks the world record.I see him running in the low 44 second range tommorow to win.I think he will take it easy with so many races lately.However,he will have 3 weeks rest after London.Look for him to possibly go after the world record in that race.You heard it here first!
smiley4.gif

albinosprint

Mentor
Wariner runs 43.99 with a easy win over Rock (2nd) 44.81. a 1, 2 for the whiteman!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
He jogged the last 30-40 meters and still only missed Michael Johnson's all time comers english record by 1/100th of a second.Wariner is as good as they come.Look out in three weeks.I feel a race of a lifetime possibly in the works.Even Wariner was pissed this time that he didn't sprint till the end.He won't do that again next time.I can't wait!
smiley32.gif

freedom1

Mentor
Yes, I've heard this consistently, that he is easing up at the end because he's so far ahead. If someone would push him down the last stretch, his times would go to the next level.

Vindicator

It is probable that by the end of the year, Jeremy Wariner will have the second most sub 44.00 performances of all time. This list is sorted by number of sub 44.00s and then by best time.

Name: # sub 44.00 race(s)

Michael Johnson: 22
Harry Reynolds: 4
Quincy Watts: 4
Jeremy Wariner: 4
Danny Everett: 2
Steve Lewis: 1
Lee Evans: 1
Larry James: 1

Jeremy is clearly peaking. Let's hope he remains healthy for a shot at the WR during this season!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
JW races again this weekend.Let's hope he can go sub 44 again.He is so close the winning the jackpot.Andrew Rock is also in this race so we can't forget about him.I would like to see these guys go 1/2 again.