Jeremy Wariner featured in SI

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Was going through a stack of reading material the other day and was about to throw a Sports Illustrated away when lo and behold in the back there was a major article on Jeremy Wariner, called "The Color of Sport."

The 8-page article is in the Dec. 6 issue, which is now two weeks out of date. It may be on the Internet, but I'll give a brief summary.

Sports Illustrated closely follows the party line on race, so it is no surprise the Wariner piece is PC in all respects except one -- there are frequent message board posts reprinted from unidentified Internet sites concerning Wariner's race and other aspects of his mostly ignored rise to the top of the sprinting world. A few of these are not politically correct and could have been written by Caste Football supporters, but other than that the article by Gary Smith portrays a Wariner who comes across as a poster child for multiculturalism and political correctness.

Wariner's parents were not athletes in any way, but "they bequeathed him something else: an openness to people of all colors and creeds. At the day care center that his mom opened in their home when he was a toddler, Jeremy played with Hot Wheels with a boy who was half-Taiwanese and listened to stories alongside two boys from India. He pieced together puzzles with a pair of African American boys and raced around the house with the two half-Japanese boys who lived behind him."

Wariner is quoted: "I was brought up to believe that a person is a person."

He was forced to take Ritalin as a young boy because of his energy. After taking up track in middle school "his voice inflections changed. A little bounce came into his walk. Like many white suburban kids watching hip hop videos, he began wearing baggier clothes. . . The alternative rock he'd favored in middle school disappeared from his radio. Off he'd roll in his car, driving his new track buddies home after practice, Jay-Z and Lil' Wayne booming from the speakers. 'He just molds to the environment he's in,' says teammate Korey Wright."

In high school, "Half of the kids were of African, Asian or hispanic descent. More and more, that was the half he hung with. Pookie (the nickname given Wariner by blacks) came to a few conclusions about African Americans. 'They aren't judgmental,' he says. 'They don't worry as much about popularity.'"

Wariner claims to be unaware of any racial divides or differences because of the way his mother raised him. "I've heard about racists on TV, but I've never seen a racist. I've never seen racism."

After his sophomore year at Baylor, Wariner moved into an off-campus house with two blacks and one other white, all members of the track and field team. He wanted to let his curly hair grow out so that he could braid it, but didn't like the curls and went back to a buzz cut.

Wariner has "no interest in making social statements." On race he is quoted as saying, "My generation doesn't see color the way others did. I never felt that barrier. Just be yourself, have fun and don't let nothin' bother you. It's not about how you look. It's about how you feel, and I feel more comfortable looking the way I look."

Wariner turned pro after the Olympics. His agent is former superstar sprinter Michael Johnson, and his manager is black former Baylor sprinter Deon Minor.

Wariner's black teammates are his closest friends. The article's real kicker though is this -- his girlfriend is a black girl named Michelle Milton.

Wariner's coach, Clyde Hart, is presented as a virtual angel of the civil rights movement, for integrating the Southwest Conference with black track & field athletes. He does have one decent quote however: "There's absolutely been a barrier for white sprinters in America. There's a stigma there. White kids think that it's a black kids' sport, that blacks are superior. There are plenty of white kids with fast-twitch fibers, but they've got to get off their rumps. Too many of them would rather go fast on their computers in a fantasy world. It's not about genes, although they may play some part in it. It's about do you want it badly enough?"

So there you have it. Jeremy Wariner quite obviously is not going to be speaking on behalf of white athletes and white interests anytime soon. But we've already discussed this and realize that the important thing is his accomplishments, whether he realizes the implications of them or not, and he obviously doesn't. In that way he's no different than many of this generation of white kids who have grown up knowing nothing but black culture and the lauding of everything black over everything white. It's up to us to make the intellectual and moral aspects of this topic better understood, not individual white athletes.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Well I would hope that he doesn't totally forget where he came from.You see alot of white kids listen to Rap but how many black kids listen to Rock or Country?Very
few if any.I will get the issue because he still made
history and he is very young and naive.I think as he gets
older,he will begin to understand a little better about
what he has accomplished.White kids need white athletes
to look up to.Eventually, you will see alot more white
athletes listening to what they like and not trying to
emulate another race in every way.Don't forget that we
also have Potter,Steele,and Rock as track role models
to.I will watch and root for all of them including Wariner even though he needs to come back to his roots.
He will in time as he matures.Thanks for the update Don.

JD074

Master
Well it's certainly not a surprise. We didn't know exactly how
far it went with him, but apparently it goes pretty far. To be fair,
it is natural to be affected by the people who are around you,
and at least some of that is unconscious (like picking up
speech patterns, mannerisms, slang, etc. I hear foreigners use
phrases like "you know", "like", "man", etc., all the time.
They're unconsciously picking up those terms since they've
come to America.) I'm not justifying it, but in a school where
half of the student body is non-white, it's inevitable that at least
some of those white students are going to hang around the
non-whites and pick up on mannerisms and musical
preferences and all that.

One thing to keep in mind is that a white high school sprinter
from Iowa or North Dakota or wherever is not going to become
a "whigger" just because Wariner is. If he watches a lot of
MTV, listens to rap music, hangs out with black kids, etc., he'll
absorb at least some of that stuff. The social environment that
you grow up in, the influence of your parents, what you see in
the media in general, and your own personality bent, are the
factors in who ends up like Wariner and who doesn't. That
white kid from Iowa or North Dakota has seen Wariner beat a
bunch of blacks. If he's followed Wariner closely, he's seen
him beat blacks in the NCAA championships, beat blacks in the
US trials, and beat blacks in the Olympics. He's also noticed
Wariner's jewelry and sunglasses, and may or may not have
read that article. But he's not going to "act black" just because
Wariner does. Either he's going in that direction already, or he
isn't, or he will in the future, or he won't. (Or, he's
experimented with rap and black slang and has outgrown it
already.) It's up to his individual situation, environment, and
personality.

But, and just as importantly, track coaches, and other coaches,
have seen what Wariner has done. What if just one track
coach's mind gets stimulated after seeing Wariner run? What if
he thinks to himself, "Hey, maybe white guys can run," and
gives just one white 400 meter sprinter a scholarship? And
develops and nurtures his talent, just like Clyde Hart has done
for Wariner? If just one athlete gets an opportunity that he
otherwise wouldn't have had, or develops the confidence and
ambition to strive to be a stellar athlete that he otherwise
wouldn't have had because he thought track was a "black
sport"... then Wariner has done a wonderful thing. And no
affinity for black culture, music, mannerisms, women, etc., can
discount that. While we all prefer the straight-laced
All-American type of white athlete, he and Stokely and Bennett
and Holm and Kirilenko and many others have all contributed
to the tearing down of the stereotypes that hold back white
athletes. And that is something that we should feel grateful for.

The main thing Wariner (hopefully) did was to encourage other white kids, to make them believe they can also compete. As for all the multi-culti crap in the article: who knows how true it is? SI has been full of horse dung for decades. Take a lot of stuff like that with the proverbial grain of salt. The truth is probably somewhere inbetween. Things have to get worse - in all areas - to force whites to wake-up as a group, to see themselves as a distinct group, as a group that is under attack. It IS happening. But the big changes, the positive changes, are a bit down the line.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I did put the disclaimer about SI's political agenda before I summarized the article. They're as bad as ESPN -- and have been at it for twice as long and caused far more damage -- I agree a lot of it could be hogwash, designed in part for Wariner himself to read and "obey".

JDO, great post. Only thing I hope is that Jeremy inspires many more coaches than one to be fair, and at all levels and in all the sports where whites are routinely denigrated and blatantly forbidden from developing their skills. With white athletes continuing the encouraging trend of forcing their way front and center in the "forbidden" areas, Drew Bennett being the latest barrier smasher, there is increasing room for optimism.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
What I would love to see Wariner accomplish going into this season is to become a double threat in both the 200 and the 400 meters!Only 3 white guys have ever run the
200 meters in under 20 seconds.Mennea,Urbas,and Kenteris.
No white american ever has although Kevin Little gave it
a good shot and was a excellent sprinter in both events.
I want to see Jeremey run it in under 20 seconds.I can
see him possibly doing this within 2 years.It would be
really great to see him out run the Juiced Up Guys like
Gatlin and Crawford.As his 200 speed increases,you should
also see him run some 400 meter times in the mid to high
43 second range and maybe someday challenge MJ's world
record.It's a false record though because both of Michael
Johnson's records in the 200 and 400 could only be acheived with massive roids.Good luck to Wariner and I
hope white kids look up to him for a long time and realize that they to can be a sprinter with hard work
and dedication.

speedster

Mentor
The article makes it seem like the reason that Wariner is fast is because he has adopted black rap hip hop culture and because of that blacks respect him.I'd like to see a white sprinter who has long hair,listens to heavy-metal and hangs with white people.Blacks wouldn't be so respectful then.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Dusty Stamer of Nebraska comes close to fitting that role
that you are talking about speedster.He is a senior and
ran a 10.21 last year and was one of the top 5 100 meter
college sprinters in the country.

Stamer has a lot of potential - look at the time he spent away from track, and how fast he ran anyway. Amazing no matter who or what he is. I only hope he doesn't become derailed by a lack of confidence, psychological plays by the media or some of the other crap Whites put up with.

IceSpeed

Guru
The quote the coach makes about how there are a lot
of whites with fast twitch muscle fiber and they need to go out for
track to end the article was very good. It definitely implies
that there is an anti-white Caste System discouraging white kids from
playing sports. The article also suggested a "drive over
determinism" concept. While I think the article falsely suggested
that blacks have a genetic edge over whites, the concept the drive can
beat genetics is appealing.

Wariner is completely racially unaware and does not
see race at all. I think he simply adopted the culture of his
surroundings on a black dominated track team. It is sort of
natural unless you are aware of the system being against you.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Look out because here comes Wariner.He will be racing in
his first race of the year on April 30th at the Drake
Relays.Jeremy will be running in the 400 meters.There
should be good competition there so it will be exciting.
I expect him to take up until around June to get back
into peak shape.I would love to see him go in the 43
second range this year.He just missed when he won the
gold medal at the Olympics in a 44.00 flat which was
the fastest time in the world last year!Go Wariner!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Wariner won his 200 meter race today in very windy
conditions.He had no competition easily winning in a
time of 20.52.If he would have been pushed by better
sprinters,he would have gone alot faster.A very solid
time for his first race of the year.He made it look like
a casual jog.Keep it up Jeremy!
smiley4.gif