Jackie Robinson’s wife’s remarks

Freedom

Mentor
Robinson's wife was announcing a game last night with Joe Morgan. She said that the lack of "black"(here African American might've of been more appropriate) players cost baseball black fans. She said, "People come to see their own." She then went on and said that blacks need to take their kids to ball games.
That shows one of the biggest double standard in sports. Has she seen an NFL game? There is a 90% white fan base at those games and barely any of those fans complain about the lack of white players. If a white guy said, "I come to see my own", he'd be a "racist bigot."
She also said that baseball was Jackie's worst sport; but football, basketball, and track didn't offer spots for black players either. The NBA was founded in 1946, so in 1947 not many professional opportunities existed for ANYBODY, in basketball. The NFL, I believe, was reintegrated in 1946 unofficially, but there were still quotas. However, very few NFL players at the time made enough to live off of and they had to have a second job usually.

Robinson chose to play baseball because it paid the most money!

Bart

Hall of Famer
Freedom said:
That shows one of the biggest double standard in sports. Has she seen an NFL game? There is a 90% white fan base at those games and barely any of those fans complain about the lack of white players. If a white guy said, "I come to see my own", he'd be a "racist bigot."

Great observation.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Freedom, you're not allowed to point this out.

Robinson was a good steady ballplayer for a number of years, but are we ever going to see a day like this for Rogers Hornsby or Craig Biggio? Maybe on this site, but you know the answer.