Is the sky falling?

REDNOSE

Guru
It seems that ole Urban is recruiting a few of the most talented rbs in the nation and they happen to be white. Is this for real? I'm a recent UF graduate that has watched my beloved University turn into FAMU before my very eyes and am bewildered at the fact that they are actively pursuing white recruits at the taboo position of runningback. This seems absurd because over the years the team has turned from one that features at least a few white defensive starters, a white qb, and mostly white lineman and tightends, to one that is coal black. The two players I'm referring to are Sam McGuffie and Sausan Shakerin. I know Mr Shakerin sounds funny, but I can assure you that he is caucasion. Here's a link to his profile.
http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=2921358

Alpha Male

Mentor
Very nice, maybe the UFC and boxing are starting to dispel the myth of black athletic superiority. Or maybe these scouts have had it with their all black team and are now forced to give white players a fair chance.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
It will be interesting to see what happens to these two kids once they get to Gainesville.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
it will be interesting indeed...

i'd like to add that Urban Meyer was very vocal in his support of his former player Eric Weddle, even after he became the coach at Florida. i recall one event in particular that occurred during an ESPN broadcast of a Utah game last season, when Kirk Herbstreit was recalling a phone conversation with Meyer about Weddle.

Herby was doing the typical "Weddle is what i like about the Utah program, he's a smart, overacheiver type player whose hustle and guts can win games" routine, when he said that Meyer cut him off and said: hang on Herbstreit. Weddle is a phenomenal athlete and would start for me today if i had him at Florida. Herby of course seemed stunned, but maybe Urban Meyer isn't as firmly entrenched in the caste system as most coaches are.

there is always hope.

whiteCB

Master
Jimmy Chitwood said:
it will be interesting indeed...

i'd like to add that Urban Meyer was very vocal in his support of his former player Eric Weddle, even after he became the coach at Florida. i recall one event in particular that occurred during an ESPN broadcast of a Utah game last season, when Kirk Herbstreit was recalling a phone conversation with Meyer about Weddle.

Herby was doing the typical "Weddle is what i like about the Utah program, he's a smart, overacheiver type player whose hustle and guts can win games" routine, when he said that Meyer cut him off and said: hang on Herbstreit. Weddle is a phenomenal athlete and would start for me today if i had him at Florida. Herby of course seemed stunned, but maybe Urban Meyer isn't as firmly entrenched in the caste system as most coaches are.

there is always hope.

Yeah the Urban's team was pretty much coal black last year because he had all of Ron Zook's recruits to work with. Now that he's gewtting his own recruiting classes look for UF to brighten up a bit. Urban grew up in Ohio so he knows how good white football players can be and doesn't buy into all that caste b.s.(hopefully)

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Maybe with Meyer's sucess at Utah he realizes that their are plenty of athletes in other parts of the country and they all do not come from florida like all the weenie sportscasters want you to think.

REDNOSE

Guru
I hope that he does recruit whites at a higher rate but he hasn't been much better than Zook. Urban has recruited two star white recievers in the past two years and also a safety. However, the majority of UF's signing class the past three years have been black.

Thunder

There have always been some white runningbacks who are recruited but they ride the bench or only play part time rather than as the starter. When even 5% of influential programs start white runningbacks then we'll know that things are starting to change.