Help for the Shot Put

Gary

Mentor
Men I need your advice, my son is a Sr.in high school and will throw the shot put this year. The track season starts in March. I never threw the shot put and have very little real knowlegde about it.
What can he do to get ready? He is lifting at the YMCA and eating good. He'd like to earn a college scholarship so your suggestions/advice would be most helpful.

SteveB

Mentor
I have never thrown the shot either, but I have watched Olympian shot putters Randy Barnes and Mike Stulce in the weight room and seen their routines. Those guys focused all of their weight training on power clean lifts, power overhead lifts (military press while using your legs), and squats. They also mixed in medicine ball routines and some plyometrics. All training was focused to increase explosive strength.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I agree with SteveB with working on his explosion doing those certain excercise.Make sure he has a strong core,abs play into this more than you would think even though these guys are usually very big.Also,the legs need to be strong in addition to the upper body.I would recomend doing a Google Search about shot putting.I'm sure that there are many articles out there with advice.Good luck to your son Gary.

Gary

Mentor
Thanks for the advice men we really appreciate it. My son can squat 500lbs and is working hard to improve his bench press. We haven't done the power cleans to much because we were not sure of the correct form. He is drinking Whey Shakes and takes something called NOS.
Again I thank you both for your advice. Have a great day!!

nordic_miler

Gary I'm not too sure about that NOS stuff. I went with a buddy of mine to a local GNC recently and my friend asked the sales clerk(who seemed pretty knowledgable about bodybuilding and weightlifting) if they had any NOS and he didn't know what that was.

Just trying to help. Maybe you should do some research on NOS. I myslef am not sure what it is but it could be unhealthy.