Harvey Kelsey

IceSpeed

Guru
I just found a sprinter from Phillips Academy(a private school in Andover, MA.) who ran the 100 meters in 10.4 and/or 10.35 in the 1940's. Check this out.
http://www.andover.edu/athletics/track/trackrecords.htm

I just think it is amazing that this guy(assuming he is white given private schools in the 1940's) once could have beaten Jesse Owens. Unless, of course, I am reading this wrong.

Another site
http://www.eagletribune.com/news/stories/20000423/SP_009.htmEdited by: IceSpeed

IceSpeed

Guru
I feel this is significant because Jesse Owens is credited with being the first example of black supremacy often. I think this is because of the environment of the 1936 Olympics when the Nazis were promoting complete white supremacy. Since Owens fought in a cold war against white supremacy, it was easy for sports historians to attribute black supremacy to him. As if the 1936 Olympics was a race war.
This is complete BS and just because the Nazis "Aryan" athletes could not defeat Owens(though they competed respectably), does not mean that whites were inferior. By Kelsey rivaling Owens at the same time period, whites should be given more credibility. It is also important to use an American because the Nazi athletes were on early versions of annabolic steroids.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Good points in both of your posts IceSpeed.I totally
agree with you and I will try to find out more about
him.Have you ever seen the movie "Chariots of Fire"?
It is quite entertaining as it looks at the lifes of
sprinters from the 1920's to 1930's.It won quite alot
of awards many years ago.Please come over and post in
the track section.I need help getting it going.Thanks.

IceSpeed

Guru
I did not read the records wrong because I learned he ran a 9.5 100 yard dash in 1940. I believe he must have lost speed or something bizzare happenned because on Princeton's website, Harvey Kelsey(assuming it is the same guy, based on Phillips Academy Andover's metriculations) ran a 100 yard dash in 10 flat in 1943 to win a competition. Maybe conditions factored.

I am going to continue this topic in the Track section.