Greg Paulus getting a shot at the NFL

RBNY123

Apparently Duke senior point guard Greg Paulus is getting legitimate interest from the Green Bay Packers as a back up quarterback. Some may not know but Paulus was actually the Gatorade player of the year in 2004 as a quarterback in high school but elected to play basketball for Duke.

http://www.faniq.com/blog/Greg-Paulus-Worked-Out-With-The-Gr een-Bay-Packers-Blog-22222

So wishing ol Greg some luck? Still Bitter about how things turned out for him at Duke? Wishing him luck? Think he will do well? What do you guys think?

guest301

Hall of Famer
Paulus should have played football and basketball at Duke. He at one time was the #1 rated QB coming out of high school and he recieved serious offers from schools like Notre Dame and Miami U.

guest301

Hall of Famer
There is a story on Yahoo sports that Paulus is considering transferring to Michigan and playing for Rich Rodriguez. The Duke football program is happy with their current QB and said they might try Paulus at slot WR.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Ya Duke's current black qb. You do not want to bring in Paulus and mess up all the success Thaddeus Lewis has had as a three year starter
smiley36.gif
! Michigan would be a disaster for Paulus! His high school coach said Paulus would be better in a spread offense, that primarily revolved around throwing, a totally different spread than Rodriguez's.

RBNY123

paulus is going to transfer to michigan from what i hear, it's a joke though becuase duke's football program sucks bad so i can't imagine what they see in their black qb he had a little over 2,000 yards passing and 15 tds a little bit less than heisman worthy if u ask me. But i guess the coach at duke is rite, i mean it isn't like paulus was the number one high school football player and number 1 qb in 2004 or anything like that, because if things were like that than i'm sure he would change his mind.Haha play him at slot wr is that a joke, ur going to put the number 1 2004 qb in at wr, i don't get how this man thinks.

RBNY123

anyone know what paulus' 40 was probably 4.6 maybe even a 4.5 he was pretty quick in basketball maybe not the fastest guard but even the slowest of top college point guards must still be quick.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
As I posted in the Michigan thread, Paulus isn't sure what he's going to do yet. He visited Ann Arbor, but he's been contacted by at least 6 NFL teams about being a QB. He has one year of college football eligibility left. He could end up seeing some PT at UM, which might help him prepare for the NFL. Then again, if the pro teams are serious enough, it may be best to bypass the college year and take the money that goes along with a pro contract.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
How bout USF for Paulus? UConn maybe? Both schools had athletic white qbs in the past. (Lorenzen and Grothe). I would suggest Syrascuse seeing how they are in his hometown but their program is in ruins.

RBNY123

i think syracuse would be good because he has a legitamate chance of starting rite away, perhaps rutgers as their program has been been solid lately, their my local team so i can watch him play, and they need a new qb.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Rich Rod offers a scholarship .
<DIV =line>
<H2>Paulus: Michigan to give him shot at QB</H2>
<DIV =sub>
<DIV =page-s>Comment Email Print Share
< =text/>

var stobj = SHARETHIS.addEntry({
title:"Paulus%20says%20he\'ll%20compete%20for%20Michigan%20Q B%20job",
url:"http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4073430",
published: "2009-04-16"
});
stobj.attachButton(document.getElementById("espnstlink"));

<CITE =source>By Adam Rittenberg
ESPN.com
Archive </CITE>

Former Duke basketball player Greg Paulus has been given an opportunity to join Michigan's football team and compete for the starting quarterback job this fall.

<DIV ="mod-inline shot floatright">
ncf_u_paulus2_65.jpg
Paulus

Paulus, a former All-American quarterback in high school, visited Michigan's final practice of the spring Tuesday in Ann Arbor. He did not throw or work out for Wolverines coaches.

"There has been an opportunity given there," Paulus said Thursday morning on a conference call with reporters. "I thought it was a really good visit. It was really helpful to get to be on a campus and meet with coach [Rich] Rodriguez and see the system and understand what types of opportunities are out there."

<DIV ="mod-container mod-no-footer mod-inline content- floatleft mod-no-er-footer">
<DIV =mod-content>

<H4>More than a visit</H4>
rittenberg_adam_m.jpg

Holding a clipboard isn't what Greg Paulus plans to do next fall, writes Adam Rittenberg. After four years of no football, could he possibly become Michigan's starting quarterback? Blog

The four-year point guard is scheduled to graduate from Duke in June.

Since Paulus did not redshirt for the basketball team, he has one year of eligibility remaining in another sport. And since he will complete his degree in four years, he can go to graduate school elsewhere and compete immediately.

Paulus said he can play only for Football Bowl Subdivision teams, ruling out a move to a Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) member.

The 6-foot-1, 180-pound Paulus has received interest from several other college programs, including his hometown Syracuse Orange, but at this point he has no other visits scheduled. He recently worked out for the Green Bay Packers and is exploring possibilities with other pro teams.

Paulus is solely interested in playing quarterback and would enter Michigan's open competition under center if he chooses to join the Wolverines.

"The chance to compete for a starting job is important," Paulus said. "With me only having an opportunity to play for one year, the chance and the opportunity to compete at a high level is important. There is an opportunity to do that at Michigan."

True freshman Tate Forcier took most of the snaps this spring for the Wolverines and performed well. Last year's primary starter, Steven Threet, transferred from the program in February.

Junior Nick Sheridan, who started four games last year and broke his leg midway through the spring, will also compete for the job alongside another freshman, Denard Robinson.

Paulus was a former Gatorade high school football player of the year at Christian Brothers Academy, where he was a four-time all-state player, set six state passing records and was a starter in the U.S. Army All-American game. Christian Brothers was 42-3 during Paulus' time there, and he had 11,763 career passing yards and 152 touchdown passes in 45 games.

"The quarterback position is like being the point guard," Paulus said. "You get the ball every possession and every play. That's exciting to me."

Paulus is still gathering information about Michigan and other schools, as well as the possibility of working out for more NFL teams. If he chooses the college route, a school's graduate program will be a major factor in his decision.

"I just feel very fortunate and really appreciative of some of the opportunities given," Paulus said. "It's been a dream."

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Is Paulus not capable of playing in the NBA? I know the last white guy under 6'6" in the NBA was probably Bob Cousey but it sounds like there is no chance he'll make it. How can a guy be athletic enough to run a spread offense but not play gaurd in the NBA.

Michigan is actually a good fit for him. No experienced spread QB on the roster and the heir apparent (Forcier) is so young. He'd be nuts to pass on a chance to move into the starting QB position on a premier college team.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
jaxvid,

in my opinion, Paulus will not get even a look from the NBA. if he's as good at football as people say, then i fully encourage him to give it a go. the NBA is not going to be part of his future.

guest301

Hall of Famer
I have been a big Greg Paulus fan the last four years but JimmyC is right, his best bet is the NFL after playing a year of course as a starting QB at Michigan.Edited by: guest301

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
This story will be an interesting one to follow this year, no doubt. I wish Greg the best at UM. The writer of the above article, Adam Rittenberg, looks just like someone who attended one of the high schools I went to. I'm going to have to email him one of these days and find out.

Taco

Guru
this is working pretty good in paulus' favor. If he does start for michigan, he'll only need to do decent to be looked at by the nfl. I say this because michigan has crumbled these past few years so any success will look that much better. Also since he hasnt played in 3 years, teams will think "what can this guy do when we give him the time he would have had had he not played basketball?" and will draft him as a project. Similar to the Cassel n Brady story, who knows maybe the pats will pick up another "diamond in the rough" qb.

My prediction for Paulus, he will lead Michigan to an undefeated season and national championship, be drafted 1st overall to the Cleveland Browns who will win every super bowl in the decade of 2010-2020. Cleveland will then change their name to the Cleveland Pauluses. Statues will be built in his honor. Paulus will be given 2 book deals and have a movie made about his life. the part of paulus will be played by jesus.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Haha Taco those are some lofty expectations. I would settle for a white player in any sport to have a shoe deal!!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Paulus looking at Syracuse now

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/9491246/Paulus-expected-t o-visit-Syracuse?FSO2&amp;ATT=MA

<div> </div>

<div>SYRACUSE, N.Y. (AP) - If Duke's Greg Paulus is looking for the
ideal situation for his suddenly resurgent interest in quarterbacking a
college football team, one that courted him when he was a two-sport
high school star would seem the perfect fit â€â€￾ his hometown Syracuse
Orange.
</div>

Paulus already has worked out for the Green Bay Packers and
visited with Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez, and he's expected to make a
visit to Syracuse within the next few days.

Orange head coach
Doug Marrone has declined to comment, citing NCAA rules. "We're very
well aware of the situation," Marrone said.

Paulus has exhausted
his basketball eligibility at Duke, but he still has one season left to
play another sport. So the one-time, record-setting high school
signal-caller is weighing one last shot at a football career.

"You
look into if you have a chance to compete and play, then what is the
situation there?" Paulus said. "The opportunity to do that and to have
that chance is exciting. I've got to do my homework. Is this a good
situation? Is there a chance to do what I want to do?"

Paulus
would appear to have a legitimate chance at Syracuse, a proud program
that's fallen on hard times. Hired in December to resurrect the team he
once played for â€â€￾ Syracuse has gone 10-37 over the past four seasons â€â€￾
Marrone already has moved Andrew Robinson, a former starter at
quarterback, to tight end and demoted Cam Dantley, last year's starter,
to backup behind redshirt freshman Ryan Nassib, who has never thrown a
college pass.

Paulus, who played point guard for four years at Duke,
certainly has credentials for at least a look. In high school at
Christian Brothers Academy, located less than a mile from Marrone's
office, Paulus was one of the nation's top prep quarterbacks. He was
the Gatorade National Player of the Year in 2004, and as a senior
running a potent spread offense threw for 3,700 yards and 43 touchdowns
in a 13-0 season. He finished his prep career with 11,763 yards and 152
touchdowns passing.

"Can he come back and play? Yeah," Christian
Brothers head coach Joe Casamento said Thursday. "Do I know if he's
going to win the job someplace? No. But I know this. If he doesn't win
it, he'll put a lot of pressure on whoever's in front of him to be
great because he's a competitor."

In high school, Paulus received
scholarship offers to play football at Miami and Notre Dame and
received a basketball offer from Syracuse before choosing to play
basketball at Duke. For most of the past four years, his only
flirtation with football came when he threw the ball around with his
younger brother, Mike, a quarterback at North Carolina.

Having
been away from the game for so long has raised doubts about whether
Paulus, at 6-foot-1 and 185 pounds, can succeed at the Division I
level, especially for a team like Syracuse, which has struggled to
build a solid offensive line.

"This is not Class A football.
You're talking a high level of competition," said Greg Boltus, a coach
at Christian Brothers when Paulus played there. "He's smart and tough,
and he'll go out there and compete, but is he going to have the
physical tools four years later? That's the question.

"I hope it
works out for him," said Boltus, whose son, Jason, became a
record-setting quarterback at Division III Hartwick College and is
expected to be selected in the NFL draft. "But the game is nothing like
high school."

Casamento warns not to underestimate his former star.

"You
know what? It's a lot easier for all these people who have never played
Division I anything to sit there and say, 'He can't do anything.' But
they don't know because they've never done it," Casamento said. "This
kid was a Division I basketball player on the point at Duke as a
freshman. And it's about working and trying and committing. Here's the
thing I would tell those people: He's not afraid to try."

Since
Paulus did not redshirt and will complete his degree at Duke in four
years, he can go to graduate school elsewhere and compete immediately
if granted a special waiver from the NCAA.

Edited by: Colonel_Reb

guest301

Hall of Famer
Syracuse is probably a better fit football wise and location wise for Paulus. Wherever he ends up, I will be rooting strongly for him. His athleticism was frequently criticized at Duke, wouldn't it be something if he stars at QB for the Orangemen.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Paulus picked Syracuse.

Greg Paulus decided to go home after all.

Weeks after speculation had the former Duke point guard returning to his high school stomping grounds to play one season of quarterback for Syracuse, Paulus officially announced he would indeed be playing for the Orange in 2009.

Paulus will be studying broadcasting at the Newhouse School, considered one of the better broadcasting schools in America.

"Syracuse has a lot of great things about it," Paulus said. "You grow up in a culture and realize there's a lot of great things out there. My gut and my heart were telling that was the best place for me."

Paulus had take a two-day visit to Nebraska nearly two weeks ago, and seemingly had the Cornhuskers as a finalist.

I had a great visit there," Paulus said. "Nebraska is a place where there's so much tradition. They have great people there. I had a great conversation with Coach Pelini and spent a lot of time with the guys, and Coach Watson. But my heart and my gut told me Syracuse was the best place for me."

http://nebraska.statepaper.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2009/05/14/4a0c22da770e5

guest301

Hall of Famer
Well it looks like I will be a Orangemen fan for a year if Paulus does become the starting QB. Glad he didn't do the Nebraska thing, too many good QB's in the Big 12 and he would be overshadowed by McCoy, Tebow and Bradford.