Goran Dragic - PG signs with Suns

G

Dragic expected to sign 4-year deal

If the Suns' belief in Goran Dragic as a Steve Nash successor proves as reliable as their hunch that they could sign him this year, then the four-year search for a reliable Nash backup has found its man.

Tau loaned Dragic, 6 feet 4 and 181 pounds, last season to Union Olimpija, where he started for the Slovenian Euroleague team. The Suns think he will adapt quickly with his vision, maturity, a 37 1/2-inch vertical leap and a 6-foot-7 wingspan.

"He's unusual," Suns Vice President of Basketball Operations David Griffin said in late June. "He's left-handed and very athletic. He attacks the rim with a sort of abandon and is polished with a good feel of the game. He can be erratic as a shooter but is mechanically sound and we feel we can work with him on the rest."

Dragic's camp sent a pre-draft memo to NBA teams to take him only in the top 15 or in the second round, given that he would be paid like a top pick. The Suns considered drafting Dragic at No. 15 if their eventual pick, Robin Lopez, was gone. They believe Dragic was the draft's next best point guard after top pick Derrick Rose.

Dragic was flown into Phoenix secretly four days before the draft and returned to Slovenia without seeing another team, although Seattle had worked him out overseas. The Suns gave San Antonio $500,000 and a future second-round pick to move up three spots in the draft and take Dragic.

"When I was a kid, it was my dream to play in the NBA, and it's come true," Dragic told The Republic after the draft. "It was my wish that the Suns pick me."

KG2422

Mentor
That's good news 89. I didn't think he would sign.
smiley4.gif

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
This guy could be very good. He was very underrated by Bilas and most other sources in the media. He may even eventually become a Tony Parker type player. This Dragic guy is indeed athletic.

G

From what I hear, he is more of a Penny Hardaway kind of player. Don't know for sure, haven't seen him play yet.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Dragic had his 2nd start of his career tonight. The Suns won as he scored 16 points and dished out 10 assists! What a game!

Dragic is a very good player. He is learning from the best and can be an
All-Star game? That's the game filled with white power forwards, centers, and point guards. Oh, and make
room for Rudy Fernandez.

Rumor has it that the NBA is begging Joe Alexander to save the dunk contest next year. He would destroy Nate or anyone else. If David Stern were smart he would give Joe some suggestions for dunks right now.

Winning dunk: Joe Alexander takes off from the foul line, jumps over David Stern and slam dunks Nate Robinson through the basket.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Goran Dragic helped the Suns come back from their 3rd largest deficit in team history. They were down by 26 points to the Cavs but Dragic led them all the way back. He had 26 points including a few nice dunks. He did all this while holding K.Irving to 10 points and Irving is supposed to be one of the top 3 point guards in the nba. I think the experts got that wrong again. Irving tried to show boat all through the game only to be shown up by the more athletic and equally talented Dragic. Way to go Suns!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Goran Dragic has been tearing it up for the Suns. I really think he is playing some of the best basketball of his career. Hoping he can get to an All Star Game in the next year or two. His is up to 18 points per game with 7.2 assists and 3 rebounds to go along with great defense. Here is his nba player profile with a nice hilite video. He has some nice dunks in the video footage. He has become one of my favorite players. Keep it up Goran.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/goran_dragic/index.html