Gatorade showers

guest301

Hall of Famer
Does anybody else consider this tradition of dumping gatorade on coaches stupid, tiresome and to some degree even dangerous. Legendary coach George Allen died in the early 90's after it was reputed that he contracted pneumonia after his college team dumped gatorade on him. I am tired of seeing it and wish some nfl coach would get angry or state beforehand that there would be a fine if anybody did this sort of thing. I couldn't imagine Landry, Lombardi,Halas, etc...being treated this way. Do I need to lighten up or do I have a point?

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
You've got a great point! It's stupid and overdone. If I was a coach I would not just fine I would cut the players involved. I am tired of seeing it and it must suck having to be covered in that sticky goo for the post game celebration.

nordic_miler

I guess it would depend where they are playing. I watched Bill Cower get drenched today after beating the Broncos, in Denver. So that must have sucked.

Still, I think it is quite funny, but it can be dangerous. One minute you are the AFC champs, the next, a coachsicle.
smiley36.gif

Deacon

Guru
I recall Joe Gibbs not wanting the all mighty gatorade shower and told
the players to douse Gregg Williams instead. He must've said "I'm too
old for that sh*t!"

bigunreal

Mentor
One thing I have noticed about these ritualistic showers is that only
black players seem to be allowed to participate. I don't think I've
ever seen a white player dumping the stuff on a coach. Of course, this
may very well be because almost all the players are black. Anyhow, I
think it's tiresome and boring, much like the old "Hi Mom" thing the
players used to mouth to the cameras.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Does anybody know why Mike Holmgren avoided his Gatorade shower this past sunday. I am pretty sure the tv camera's would have caught it. Who started this dumb tradition anyway, I keep thinking it was the giants but not sure.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I remember the Giants in the 80's doing it to Parcells. I remember several teams doing it in the 80's and often with white guys participating. As the number of whites in the NFL dropped, so did the number of them participating in this activity.